Author Topic: Starlink : New FCC and ITU Filings  (Read 183673 times)

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 2532
  • Likes Given: 3234
Re: Starlink : New FCC and ITU Filings
« Reply #120 on: 04/07/2020 02:35 pm »
SpaceX applies for gateways covering the contiguous US - Interactive map by reddit user u/softwaresaur:

SpaceX recently within last two weeks filed a bunch of new gateway applications. I made an interactive map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1H1x8jZs8vfjy60TvKgpbYs_grargieVw

The gateways now cover the contiguous US (edit: and Southern Canada). In addition today SpaceX filed a special temporary authority request to use 9 southern and mid-US gateways for 60 days. That suggests the gateways are either ready or will be ready very soon.

You can enable "Final service areas" layer in the sidebar to see the coverage of the gateways with a higher 40° elevation angle. The gateway service areas show where a Starlink satellite at 550 km altitude can connect to a gateway. A downlink beam from a satellite can reach farther away from the serving gateway but service in this case will be intermittent.

You can jump from the interactive map to Google Maps by clicking on a gateway then clicking on the directions icon.

The link to the 9 gateways STA is: https://fcc.report/IBFS/SES-STA-INTR2020-00778

Also it's interesting that they requested a gateway at Boca Chica, I thought BC has no internet connection, which makes it a weird location for a gateway.

Seems like a low dollar, low maintenance cost gateway. 

I don't know, but sounds like a safe assumption that Boca Chica has a weak internet back bone.  But that can be fixed with money.

Seems that it makes sense for Starlink to place gateways near the geographic corners of the US.  So if/when Starlink receives licenses in other countries, like Mexico or the Caribbean then they can start service quicker.  Especially if they have laser interlinks working.
Superheavy + Starship the final push to launch commit!

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4189
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #121 on: 04/07/2020 02:59 pm »
>
The link to the 9 gateways STA is: https://fcc.report/IBFS/SES-STA-INTR2020-00778

Also it's interesting that they requested a gateway at Boca Chica, I thought BC has no internet connection, which makes it a weird location for a gateway.

Fiber was laid to the SpaceX/STARGATE location years ago.

Mar 12, 2015

Brownsville Herald...

The first infrastructure project that will link the University of Texas System to SpaceX’s rocket-launch complex at Boca Chica in Cameron County is on the horizon, public records show.

The project will tie UT buildings and Elon Musk’s complex, which will house the world’s first commercial, vertical and orbital rocket launch facility.

UT also owns land at Boca Chica that will house the STARGATE research facility.
« Last Edit: 04/07/2020 03:02 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Nomadd

• Highway Whatever
  • Liked: 57180
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #122 on: 04/07/2020 04:57 pm »
Boca Chica has twelve fibers running to it.
« Last Edit: 04/07/2020 04:58 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 2532
  • Likes Given: 3234
« Reply #123 on: 04/07/2020 05:08 pm »
>

Fiber was laid to the SpaceX/STARGATE location years ago.

Mar 12, 2015

Brownsville Herald...

The first infrastructure project that will link the University of Texas System to SpaceX’s rocket-launch complex at Boca Chica in Cameron County is on the horizon, public records show.

The project will tie UT buildings and Elon Musk’s complex, which will house the world’s first commercial, vertical and orbital rocket launch facility.

UT also owns land at Boca Chica that will house the STARGATE research facility.

Excellent, I had forgotten about that linkage.  I suppose the town and near by residents of BC may still suffer from poor internet service.

That makes it an even easier location for a ground station.  Have at it!
Superheavy + Starship the final push to launch commit!

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 11354
  • Likes Given: 5071
« Reply #124 on: 04/10/2020 04:09 am »
Two more gateways:
Litchfield, CT
Warren, MO

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #125 on: 04/17/2020 08:37 pm »
Another gateway in Nemaha County, Nebraska.

Offline TorenAltair

• Germany
  • Liked: 572
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #126 on: 04/18/2020 01:42 am »
New filing
https://fcc.report/IBFS/SAT-MOD-20200417-00037

Space Exploration Holdings, LLC seeks to modify its Ku/Ka-band NGSO license to relocate satellites previously authorized to operate at altitudes from 1,110 km to 1,325 km down to altitudes ranging from 540 km to 570 km, and to make related changes.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #127 on: 04/18/2020 02:25 am »
This would be a significant change to the constellation.  Not only do they want to change the altitudes, they also want to change the inclinations.

Offline Nomadd

• Highway Whatever
« Reply #128 on: 04/18/2020 03:00 am »
 The attachment narrative app is a good summary along with an excellent description of the whole project, and actually written in understandable language.
 https://fcc.report/IBFS/SAT-MOD-20200417-00037/2274315
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #129 on: 04/18/2020 03:10 am »
The attachment narrative app is a good summary along with an excellent description of the whole project, and actually written in understandable language.
 https://fcc.report/IBFS/SAT-MOD-20200417-00037/2274315

Yeah, I like the FCC documentation.  I'm completely lost when I try to look through the ITU stuff.

Offline Nomadd

• Highway Whatever
« Reply #130 on: 04/18/2020 03:32 am »
This would be a significant change to the constellation.  Not only do they want to change the altitudes, they also want to change the inclinations.
  Thought it might make it clearer to include both.
 I imagine airlines and military both expressed interest at better polar coverage.
 I'm not exactly sure why two identical inclinations at identical altitudes get listed. Or, how an inclination is over 90 degrees. I guess I could always figure it out instead of rambling in the thread.
« Last Edit: 04/18/2020 03:40 am by Nomadd »

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #131 on: 04/18/2020 03:36 am »
For the existing license they say that nominal operation is ground stations communicating with satellites at least 40 degrees above the horizon, but at least 25 degrees above the horizon during initial deployment.  In this modification, they change it to nominal value of at least 25 degrees above the horizon, except at high latitudes (above 62 degrees) where the angle drops to at least 5 degrees above the horizon.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #132 on: 04/18/2020 03:37 am »
I imagine airlines and military both expressed interest at better polar coverage.

I imagine military expressed a lot of interest in better polar coverage.

Offline Nomadd

• Highway Whatever
« Reply #133 on: 04/18/2020 03:54 am »
 I might be way off here, but I've been trying to figure out how they're going to gradually fit laser links into the picture, but only managed to hurt myself. With the proposed mod, I'm thinking of building the initial system at 53° 550 km and assuming the hardware is ready by then, pretty much building an entirely new system with intersat links at 53.8° 540km.
 I have little or no idea if that makes any sense, since they didn't even mention the links in the request.

Online groknull

• U.S. West Coast
  • Liked: 430
  • Likes Given: 988
« Reply #134 on: 04/18/2020 03:58 am »
  Thought it might make it clearer to include both.
 I'm not exactly sure why two identical inclinations at identical altitudes get listed. Or, how an inclination is over 90 degrees. I guess I could always figure it out instead of rambling in the thread.

I'm wondering if the last two columns indicate 10 planes at 97.6 degrees, 6 with 58 satellites and 4 with 43 satellites.  10 planes at 18 degree RAAN increments?
AIUI inclination is in reference to the ascending node, thus will be positive in the range of 0-180 degrees.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #135 on: 04/18/2020 04:00 am »
The laser links don't have any effect on the other changes being requested.  FCC doesn't really regulate laser comms anyway.  I'm interested to see what order they deploy the rest of the sats after the initial 1500.  If an anchor customer really wants polar coverage maybe they go for the polar planes first?

Offline Nomadd

• Highway Whatever
« Reply #136 on: 04/18/2020 04:05 am »
The laser links don't have any effect on the other changes being requested.  FCC doesn't really regulate laser comms anyway.  I'm interested to see what order they deploy the rest of the sats after the initial 1500.  If an anchor customer really wants polar coverage maybe they go for the polar planes first?
Maybe the folks in Fairbanks complained.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #137 on: 04/18/2020 04:10 am »
I'm wondering if the last two columns indicate 10 planes at 97.6 degrees, 6 with 58 satellites and 4 with 43 satellites.  10 planes at 18 degree RAAN increments?
AIUI inclination is in reference to the ascending node, thus will be positive in the range of 0-180 degrees.

edit: the planes with 58 satellites are 60deg RAAN apart.  Not sure what those planes with 43 satellites are doing.
« Last Edit: 04/18/2020 04:17 am by gongora »

Offline ShSch

« Reply #138 on: 04/18/2020 04:51 am »
edit: the planes with 58 satellites are 60deg RAAN apart.  Not sure what those planes with 43 satellites are doing.
Very interesting, thank you. Which document did you find this table in?

Since these polar orbits are sun-synchronous, it looks like SpaceX wants to have lots of extra coverage during a certain 4-hour period each day. Or two certain 4-hour periods?
« Last Edit: 04/18/2020 05:00 am by ShSch »

Offline Hummy

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 206
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #139 on: 04/18/2020 07:41 am »
Very interesting, thank you. Which document did you find this table in?

Since these polar orbits are sun-synchronous, it looks like SpaceX wants to have lots of extra coverage during a certain 4-hour period each day. Or two certain 4-hour periods?

Two 5-hour long periods. Total 6 planes will provide increased bandwidth, 1 through 6, plus coverage extends 9 degrees to a each side. Extra bandwidth for the US, Canada, and India during peak hours?
« Last Edit: 04/18/2020 07:42 am by Hummy »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography