Author Topic: SpaceX Dragon 2 Updates and Discussion - Thread 3  (Read 785627 times)

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80384
  • Likes Given: 36361
Re: SpaceX Dragon 2 Updates and Discussion - Thread 3
« Reply #1740 on: 08/23/2023 07:58 am »
Does anyone know what the current status of the fifth Crew Dragon capsule is? The last I knew was that it would be ready to fly next year. Thanks!

[zubenelgenubi: Post merged to this thread.]

This was asked at the Crew-7 press conference on Monday and the brief answer was still scheduled for 2024.

Online JayWee

• Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 1803
« Reply #1741 on: 10/27/2023 01:06 am »
From a report of today's ASAP:

https://twitter.com/genejm29/status/1717627832707199205

Quote from: Gene J. Mikulka
Also still watching the EMU's ( The ISS Shuttle Era Spacesuits ). Kent Rominger indicated that #NASA and #SpaceX are working the valve corrosion issue on Dragon saying this was an issue that has plagued other programs. 5/

Have we heard that before?

Offline rsdavis9

« Reply #1742 on: 01/27/2024 06:02 pm »
So is there a date for the first slc-40 dragon (cargo or crew)? I assume they use the gangplank when they load cargo(late load/perishable) ? Has there been a cargo dragon that didn't use the crew arm(gangplank)?
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Online Alexphysics

• Spain
  • Liked: 5854
  • Likes Given: 943
« Reply #1743 on: 01/27/2024 07:14 pm »
Has there been a cargo dragon that didn't use the crew arm(gangplank)?

Basically all of Dragon 1 vehicles. These had late load cargo via a small enclosed space that would pull up to Dragon while in horizontal position. This is similar to how SpaceX will do it for Cygnus as well.

Example: https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/307339058823184385

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8147
  • Likes Given: 7433
« Reply #1744 on: 01/27/2024 07:43 pm »

Basically all of Dragon 1 vehicles. These had late load cargo via a small enclosed space that would pull up to Dragon while in horizontal position. This is similar to how SpaceX will do it for Cygnus as well.

Alex,
How will they get through the Faring without causing a structural issue with a door installed on the faring side?  In the encapsulation photo we received (see below), there is no evidence of a door or hatch to allow access inside the faring as well as walking inside to open the Cygnus door.  Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: 01/27/2024 07:50 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10174
  • Likes Given: 11899
« Reply #1745 on: 01/27/2024 08:03 pm »
Alex,
How will they get through the Faring without causing a structural issue with a door installed on the faring side?  In the encapsulation photo we received (see below), there is no evidence of a door or hatch to allow access inside the faring as well as walking inside to open the Cygnus door.  Any thoughts?

Where is Jim when you need him...  ;)

IIRC, for other such payloads on other launchers there is a door or access panel in the fairing, but that might require a modified Falcon 9 fairing for Cygnus. Probably not a big deal, but something new.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Sam Ho

• Liked: 571
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #1746 on: 01/27/2024 08:35 pm »
Alex,

IIRC, for other such payloads on other launchers there is a door or access panel in the fairing, but that might require a modified Falcon 9 fairing for Cygnus. Probably not a big deal, but something new.
Yes, Cygnus is using a modified fairing with a 5 foot by 4 foot door, as per last night's teleconference (14 minutes in).

https://www.youtube.com/live/BR_o4RJ7CMc?si=6q8JB4uRxbVf30N6&t=878

Online catdlr

« Reply #1747 on: 01/27/2024 08:57 pm »
Alex,

Yes, Cygnus is using a modified fairing with a 5 foot by 4 foot door, as per last night's teleconference (14 minutes in).

https://www.youtube.com/live/BR_o4RJ7CMc?si=6q8JB4uRxbVf30N6&t=878

Great.  When SpaceX plucks the faring and the sea water doesn't harm that door (or it's refurbished), it could be re-used for another Cygnus if that comes about.  Thanks, Sam Ho for getting that.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Kiwi53

• New Zealand
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #1748 on: 01/28/2024 01:55 am »

Yes, Cygnus is using a modified fairing with a 5 foot by 4 foot door, as per last night's teleconference
Great.  When SpaceX plucks the faring and the sea water doesn't harm that door (or it's refurbished), it could be re-used for another Cygnus if that comes about.  Thanks, Sam Ho for getting that.

NG has contracted three Flacon-9 flights for Cygnus, so this fairing door is sure to be used at least that many times.
If Antares 330 runs late - I believe that has been known to happen in the space industry ::) - there might be further ride opportunities

Online DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4196
  • Likes Given: 1694
« Reply #1749 on: 01/28/2024 04:05 am »

Yes, Cygnus is using a modified fairing with a 5 foot by 4 foot door, as per last night's teleconference

NG has contracted three Flacon-9 flights for Cygnus, so this fairing door is sure to be used at least that many times.
If Antares 330 runs late - I believe that has been known to happen in the space industry ::) - there might be further ride opportunities
I wonder how this is priced. I suspect a customer who wants a custom fairing must pay for the NRE and fabrication. But does the customer decide whether to pay for a expendable or recoverable? Does the customer pay for the recovery attempt? what about a failed recovery?

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1794
  • Likes Given: 1292
« Reply #1750 on: 01/28/2024 07:47 am »
<snip>
I wonder how this is priced. I suspect a customer who wants a custom fairing must pay for the NRE and fabrication. But does the customer decide whether to pay for a expendable or recoverable? Does the customer pay for the recovery attempt? what about a failed recovery?
Think Northrop Grumman pay for the development and additional manufacturing cost for each of the payload fairing half with the access hatch along with the regular build cost. So NG probably own that particular fairing half specific to Cygnus usage.

Speculate NG pay for a recovery attempt as a service plus additional payments for successful recovery and refurbishment.

IIRC each regular Falcon payload fairing half cost about $3M to build. So unless NG wants payout about $4Mi out of pocket for a new fairing half for each SpaceX launch after the first Cygnus , they will pay for the cheaper option of recovery and refurbishment. Maybe they will continue using the recoverable Falcon payload fairing for the Antares 330.

footnote i - speculation

Offline Brigantine

• NZ
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 445
« Reply #1751 on: 01/28/2024 08:45 am »

Other people have answered this well, I'll just add that the Falcon users guide does mention this:

p40:
The standard fairing includes one access door in the cylindrical portion; SpaceX can also provide a fairing with up to
eight access doors as a nonstandard service. The payload fairing doors are all in fixed positions and circular, with a 610-
mm (24-in.) diameter size.

p62:
Customer access to the payload while the vehicle is outside of the hangar requires special accommodations and is a
nonstandard service.
« Last Edit: 01/28/2024 08:50 am by Brigantine »

Offline Vettedrmr

• Hot Springs, AR
  • Liked: 1923
  • Likes Given: 3076
« Reply #1752 on: 01/28/2024 11:52 am »
How did we get from D2 to Cygnus fairing design?
Aviation/space enthusiast, retired control system SW engineer, doesn't know anything!

Online catdlr

Offline Vettedrmr

• Hot Springs, AR
  • Liked: 1923
  • Likes Given: 3076
« Reply #1754 on: 01/28/2024 06:54 pm »
Yeah, but Cargo Dragon 1 didn't use a fairing, right?
Aviation/space enthusiast, retired control system SW engineer, doesn't know anything!

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 289
  • Likes Given: 736
« Reply #1755 on: 01/29/2024 12:56 am »
Yeah, but Cargo Dragon 1 didn't use a fairing, right?
No it had nose cone that jettisoned after oribit Insertion. Which was changed to hinged design for D2 made it reusable.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80384
  • Likes Given: 36361
« Reply #1756 on: 02/01/2024 08:56 pm »
https://twitter.com/spacex/status/1753151972503629865

SpaceX is working with researchers to develop and fly critical science on Dragon, helping to advance humanity’s ability to live and work in space →

https://www.spacex.com/humanspaceflight/research

ON-ORBIT RESEARCH
ADVANCING HUMANITY'S ABILITY TO LIVE AND WORK IN SPACE

As the world's leading launch service provider, SpaceX enables researchers the opportunity to frequently fly critical science to orbit on the Dragon spacecraft, which has carried over 1,000 research experiments to and from low-Earth orbit and the International Space Station since 2012.

REDUCING IN-FLIGHT HEALTH RISKS
Conducting research to understand mental and physical impacts while on-orbit

VIRTUAL AND AUGMENTED REALITY
Exploring how a digital realm can improve training, physical fitness, and mental wellbeing

MEDICAL CARE
AND
TRAINING
Advancing available medical care with exploration of just-in-time training and tools

DEVELOP YOUR RESEARCH
SpaceX is looking for exceptional science and research ideas that will enable life in space and on other planets. Research proposals submitted to SpaceX will be reviewed and evaluated based on mission objectives, scientific and technical merit, and feasibility.

SUBMIT PROPOSAL
COMPLETE RESEARCH PLAN
DEVELOPMENT
CERTIFICATION & CREW TRAINING
LAUNCH!
RETURN

CURRENT RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES
Research proposals for Dragon human spaceflight missions will be accepted through March 15, 2024, and may be included in missions as early as late 2024. Proposal submissions should focus on one of the two following categories:

FITNESS-FOCUSED
RESEARCH
Innovative solutions to increase efficiency and effectiveness, specifically focused on time efficiencies, resources required, equipment and protocols, and efficacy assessments

EXPLORATION-FOCUSED
RESEARCH
Studies assessing tools that enhance health and well-being during long-duration missions, specifically focused on medical capabilities, virtual or augmented reality as a multipurpose tool, inflight health, and just-in-time training

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
  • Liked: 83
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #1757 on: 02/02/2024 01:37 am »
Does anyone know whether the fifth Dragon capsule will be ready soon enough that Crew-9 might get to fly on it, or is it more likely to debut on a shorter flight or Crew-10?

« Reply #1758 on: 02/26/2024 12:57 am »
From post FRR conference of Crew 8.

Per Gerst, 5th crew dragon capsule to be ready by Q4 2024. Per Steve Stich, its first mission is likely Crew 10 in 2025.

Offline John_Marshall

• Minneapolis
  • Liked: 83
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #1759 on: 02/28/2024 04:31 pm »
From post FRR conference of Crew 8.

Per Gerst, 5th crew dragon capsule to be ready by Q4 2024. Per Steve Stich, its first mission is likely Crew 10 in 2025.

Cool! Thanks!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography