Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : SES-10 with reuse of CRS-8 Booster SN/1021 : 2017-03-30 : UPDATES  (Read 343664 times)

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
Question from Chris!

Getting 40 up and running. Falcon Heavy is a high risk flight. 27 engines lighting simultaneously. Thought of calling it the Falcon 27. Launch FH from 39A. Block V, is more like a point upgrade. Falcon 9 v1.5. Ugrading the engines to their full thrust capability, by 7-10%. Forged Titanium grid fins. Incorporate a number of upgrades important to NASA.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
Me: How does Block 5 fit into more reusability.  And FH in summer, is that a good indicator of when 40 will be back as FH would go before then.

Elon: Wow.  Yes, you're right.  Need to get 40 up and running to do single stick flights there and FH from 39A.  FH is a high risk flight.  27 engines lighting simultaneous.  Technically is should be called Falcon 27.  But that sounds too scary. 

Bock 5 nomenclature, we're using wrong terminology.  It's more like version 2.5 of F9.  Block 5 most important part is op engines at highest thurust cap -- 10% more than what they currently run at -- and more reusability (grid fins).  Also updates for human spaceflight.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Elon compliments Chris G on his knowlege! Attaboy, way to make NSF proud! :)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Online Chris Bergin

Ok folk. The presser caught us unaware - and we were already into the one post of congrats each - part of the live thread. But everyone understood that was more important at the time and we have a nice stream of Q&A posts in succession via Chris G without interruptions. Many thanks!

One post of congrats is back, but yep - any questions, responses and so on....into the other associated threads. Thanks :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Perchlorate

• 2 miles from the site of the first successful powered flight.
  • Liked: 909
  • Likes Given: 1289
What can anyone say?!  Heartiest congratulations to SpaceX and all associated!

Congrats as well to 1021 herself, although she's had her ups and downs....
Pete B, a Civil Engineer, in an age of incivility.

Offline Bubbinski

Wow. A big congratulations to SpaceX and SES!

On April 12, 1981 I was a kid, in elementary school, watching a small black and white TV in my family cabin in the White Mountains (Arizona). I watched STS-1 launch from Pad 39A on the grainy screen with poor reception and that weekend my imagination was running wild as I played with a die cast shuttle toy my grandpa had got me.

Today I watched the SES-10 launch from Pad 39A on an iPad Pro with about the same screen size, light enough to hold in my hand. My imagination is running wild about what can happen in the next few years and decades as I am having dinner after work, thumbing through NSF.com posts.

Although the Shuttle didn't completely fulfill its promise, it did open up a new era of space activity and was critical to building the ISS and servicing the Hubble Telescope while flying a large number of people into space. 36 years later it looks like a brand new era in space flight has arrived.
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Lemurion

Congratulations to SpaceX, SES, Elon, and everyone involved!

I had to go with family to the grocery store, so I was the guy at Harris Teeter Starbucks with his eyes glued to Youtube on his phone.

From the moment the first booster landed, I knew reuse was possible. Now SpaceX has shown it was inevitable.

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2412
  • Likes Given: 10226

Offline ClayJar

• Baton Rouge, LA, USA
  • Liked: 1280
  • Likes Given: 127
The engineering vs. emotions thing was really something, wasn't it?  I had to remind myself to breathe occasionally from liftoff to MECO, not because I lacked confidence in the engineering team at SpaceX, just feeling the weight of the moment.

So, congratulations SpaceX, SES, and everyone else.  Thanks to NSF, et al, for the great coverage.  And you go, Chris G. making yourself and the site look well-informed as everyone here helps us try to be.  ;D

Offline plank

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
Awesome, congrats Spacex.  Btw does anyone know when the next reused rocket will go up?

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7348
  • Likes Given: 3749
Awesome, awesome achievement. World-class congratulations to SpaceX, Elon Musk and the entire SpaceX team. And a big thumbs up to SES for being the first to step up and say "Hell ya we'll take the re-flight ride". You guys are awesome.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline fishbait

• wanna buy a paddle matey?
  • Sydney, NSW , Australia
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 24
Well done Space-x and all.
Having seen humans land on the moon live , this was almost as good.

Offline Navier–Stokes

• Liked: 720
  • Likes Given: 6766
« Last Edit: 03/31/2017 01:28 am by Navier–Stokes »

Wow! What a great day!  Really awesome to witness history. Can't wait to see what this breakthrough holds for the future in terms of reusability spaceflight.

Offline Mark McCombs

• SW Washington
  • Liked: 157
  • Likes Given: 2233
Big congrats to SpaceX, Eastern Range and all others for the dramatic relaunch and landing of core 21 and the successful deployment of SES-10.

8)
"Are you sure you want to go to Red Alert, Sir? It does mean changing the bulb." - Kryten
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory". LLAP - Leonard Nimoy

Offline Babbaloo

• Australia
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 379
Well done to the spacex family. The entire ride was enthralling.
My 2 and 4 year olds were screaming aloud with the spacex employees "GO FALCON 9"
Just brilliant.

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
Musk: We have one landing in stormy seas where only thing the kept rocket from falling overboard as it slid around barge was lip on barge.

Nice to hear direct from the horses mouth that my analysis and speculation about the Thaicom Walkabout last year was spot on!  8)

It seems that one and probably two legs have compressed crush cores allowing a good pendulum teetering action to develop and increase in amplitude by further compressing the cores with the continuous rocking on deck. That bigger teeter caused incremental sliding toward the most compressed leg with each jarring stop, arrested only by the yellow I beam railing around the deck edge.

Whoever first came up with the idea for that railing around the ASDS deserves a serious attaboy from Elon. That saved the rocket from walking overboard.

Offline Marslauncher

• Liked: 809
  • Likes Given: 270
I watched core 1021 on CRS-8 launch live whilst flying with Don Gates, saw the first pictures after we landed of the successful stage sitting there beautifully on OCISLY. I was at McGregor last July to witness first hand the first full duration ~2.5mins test of a reused booster (JCSAT-14 I think) and have taken pictures of the first core to land back at LZ-1. I cannot wait to be in Florida for FH and to see both boosters return! Congrats to SpaceX for not listening to the naysayers, for pushing the boundaries and to SES for believing in the dream and becoming a part of history, Congrats also to NSF and Chris B too as without this site/them I wouldn't have had the opportunity to witness any of the above.

What an absolutely wonderful day!

Offline cppetrie

• Liked: 552
  • Likes Given: 3
Well done to all involved.

Now, not to put too fine a point on it, but time to turn it all around and launch again in about 2 weeks, albeit on a different booster. Steady launch cadence, here we come!
« Last Edit: 03/31/2017 01:51 am by cppetrie »

Offline inventodoc

• Grand Rapids, Michigan
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 573
CONGRATULATIONS.   I'm very pleased to see that this finally happened.  Plus fairing recovery too!

Tags: Core 1021 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography