Author Topic: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2  (Read 169754 times)

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
Re: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2
« Reply #80 on: 02/06/2018 02:38 pm »
My earlier post was moved to the troubles-with-tapatalk thread, so let me repeat just the forum-software part of it.

I used the "subscribed forums" view in tapatalk's almost exclusively to follow NSF.  Every few months or so I'll jump up to the full list of topics to subscribe to new mission threads, etc, but other than that it's all subscription view.

Is there a feature like that on the desktop forum? "Unread threads" is close, but too much of a fire hose.

If there's not already a "subscribed threads" view, that would be #1 on my wish list for new forum software.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #81 on: 02/06/2018 05:04 pm »
OK -- I can't imagine this was just me.  It went slower, then slower, then to Error 502 - Bad Gateway.  The site's server was showing as down to my ISP and, it said, to The Cloud.

Was down for about 40 minutes, I believe.

This one was NOT on my end... :(
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #83 on: 02/06/2018 08:26 pm »
Turned Likes off to deal with the server stress, did y'all?
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline Tev

• Prague
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 5652
« Reply #84 on: 02/06/2018 08:30 pm »
Thanks for posting this, I was confused whether it is my account / cache problem. Normally I would just like your post instead of replying but ... :D

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #85 on: 02/06/2018 08:38 pm »

Yes, and they are back on.

Mark

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #86 on: 02/06/2018 08:48 pm »

Mark
Good job today Mark! :)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #87 on: 02/06/2018 10:53 pm »

Mark

Any idea how much that helped? I think registered users could live without likes for a while during heavy traffic periods, if it meant less frequent locking out guests.... I want my non spacey friends to come here and major events are the times they are most likely to....

(bravo for trying it!)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #88 on: 02/06/2018 11:13 pm »

Mark

Any idea how much that helped? I think registered users could live without likes for a while during heavy traffic periods, if it meant less frequent locking out guests.... I want my non spacey friends to come here and major events are the times they are most likely to....

(bravo for trying it!)

The 'likes' addon for SMF is pretty CPU intensive that's why I turned it off before locking out guests which is a " last resort" option. Today's load was unprecedented which despite all the tweaks and upgrades required me to use that option for a bit. Today is again another lesson learned in that area and we're gonna keep improving. We already have another round of improvements lined up but we were not able to implement them before today.

This means that for the coming events we can " be sure"  that turning off guests is no longer needed.

Mark

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
  • Liked: 1869
  • Likes Given: 1262
« Reply #89 on: 02/09/2018 03:55 pm »
Can't find it mentioned already but is there any way to jump back to the thread after a post instead of going back to the forum list? Would be nice to stay in the thread and continue from there.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #90 on: 02/09/2018 05:06 pm »
Can't find it mentioned already but is there any way to jump back to the thread after a post instead of going back to the forum list? Would be nice to stay in the thread and continue from there.

On your profile page under Modify Profile choose "Look and Layout", then check the box for "Return to topics after posting by default."

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
« Reply #91 on: 02/09/2018 05:10 pm »
Ok. I've been on this site for years and I never saw that. I am officially a muppet.

thanks

On your profile page under Modify Profile choose "Look and Layout", then check the box for "Return to topics after posting by default."

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #92 on: 02/09/2018 05:19 pm »
Ok. I've been on this site for years and I never saw that.

I vaguely remember getting really annoyed with the default forum behavior in the past and searching out that option.  I think it would be better to have that as the default behavior.  When your post appears on screen you can notice typos, whether the attachments worked (or you forgot them), whether someone else just posted the same thing, whether you were being a dick and should really just delete what you just posted (happens occasionally), etc.

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
« Reply #93 on: 02/09/2018 05:26 pm »
I agree - would have been nice if it was the default, just for those reasons - make sure you've no typos, nobody else has just said the same thing and so on - Lot's of other stuff to get done first so not a high priority.  I'm still a muppet!

Ok. I've been on this site for years and I never saw that.

I vaguely remember getting really annoyed with the default forum behavior in the past and searching out that option.  I think it would be better to have that as the default behavior.  When your post appears on screen you can notice typos, whether the attachments worked (or you forgot them), whether someone else just posted the same thing, whether you were being a dick and should really just delete what you just posted (happens occasionally), etc.

Offline hkultala

• Liked: 748
  • Likes Given: 945
« Reply #94 on: 02/21/2018 05:53 am »
The forum is showing "my" IP address on the right down corner of posts I've written.

... except that it's not my IP address. And it's not any transparent proxy of my isp either.

It's simply some totally wrong random ip address that has no relationship to me.

It seems the last post where my IP is correct is from end of january, post from 2.2 already has the bogus ip.
« Last Edit: 02/21/2018 05:54 am by hkultala »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #95 on: 02/21/2018 12:12 pm »
The forum is showing "my" IP address on the right down corner of posts I've written.

... except that it's not my IP address. And it's not any transparent proxy of my isp either.

It's simply some totally wrong random ip address that has no relationship to me.

It seems the last post where my IP is correct is from end of january, post from 2.2 already has the bogus ip.

Yeah, when I went to remove a spammer I noticed two IP addresses, one was their naughty base IP address in BongoBongoLand and the other was to one of our cloud servers, so the forum must be displaying the server IP in posts for some reason. But all is good otherwise.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #96 on: 02/21/2018 12:23 pm »
I've also noticed today that our automated e-mails (where you get notification of a new PM etc.) have been classed as phishing by Microsoft's scoring system. No idea how to whitelist that so they come out of the spam folder, but yeah.....that's annoying.

Offline bjornl

• Netherlands
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 90
« Reply #97 on: 02/21/2018 05:05 pm »
Hey, today I got the attached ad in the public PAZ update thread. It is in badly translated Dutch and obvious clickbait: "Musk steps down", "Musk resigns after accusations". Not something you should want on a quality site like this.

Offline acsawdey

« Reply #98 on: 02/21/2018 06:46 pm »
Whatever you did to the page caching info in the served html is working great. Now when I hit the browser back button to go back from a forum thread to the forum listing (or most often "Unread Topics") it updates with any new posts. Before I always had do reload or F5 at that point.

Online Arb

• London
  • Liked: 514
  • Likes Given: 433
« Reply #99 on: 02/22/2018 12:17 am »
Whatever you did to the page caching info in the served html is working great. Now when I hit the browser back button to go back from a forum thread to the forum listing (or most often "Unread Topics") it updates with any new posts. Before I always had do reload or F5 at that point.

A dissenting opinion...

From time to time ctrl+click "New" on a forum listing (to open a topic in a new tab) fails for one reason or another. It used to be that returning to the (still open) forum listing tab allowed one to try again. Now "New" is instantly gone so one has to click to the topic's last page and then hunt for the earliest unread post; sometimes several pages back. Definitely a retrograde (ahem) step from my point of view :(

As is often the case with UI changes, what's really required is a user configurable option so we can all have our preferred way of working.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography