Author Topic: Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)  (Read 994592 times)

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 55
                                       Back to the Beginning of NASA's Space Shuttle Program

Tribute to Challenger's Maiden Flight - STS-6

L-R: Donald Peterson †, Paul Weitz †, Story Musgrave, Karol Bobko
Source: wikipedia.org

Now it is time for presentation my Launch Pad 39A-Project with Challenger STS-6 in NSF forum and I hope you'll be interested in.

Since I'll post my report step by step as I've built, I find it better if images do not appear as attachments at the end, but embedded in the text for better understanding. 

To the prehistory:
After conclusion the NASA Shuttle program last summer with the last Atlantis-Mission (STS-135), I dedicate my first real space modeling project to the beginning the legendary space shuttle era before more than 30 years.

I was inspired to this major project by similar space modeling projects in the German forum Raumfahrer.net.

I decided for the STS-6-Mission with the Challenger (04.04.1983) as guidance version for my build, because I would like to build the tower version from the initial years of shuttle era with the red lattice windows and the partial red FSS grating structure inclusive hammerhead crane, which fascinated me somehow.

The following picture shows the Challenger during the roll-out in the fog on their way to the Launch PAD 39A,

Source: NASA

as well as with the lift-off to the STS-6-Mission.

To the project:
To be built is the Launch Pad 39A with Launch tower, Shuttle stack, as well as Mobile launcher platform (MLP) and Crawler transporter (CT). Basic module for my project is thereby the Revell kit 4911 in „scale 1:144“, in quotation marks and red, because one already is thereby for the cardinal problem of the actually mad Revell kit, the scale dilemma, to which one could be written its own chapter and said therefore some more must.

For the addition of the launch tower FSS I procured myself the Detail kits No. 1-5 of LVM Studios.

Since I decided for the STS-6-Mission with the Challenger, with the Detail kits of LVM one can represent thereby the elevator shaft of the tower in the original building technique with the red lattice windows, as it in the early years the shuttle era looked quite. In addition Detail kit No. 1 contains parts for the complete staircase in the tower, which is completely missing with Revell's 4910/4911.

The LVM kits contain photo etched parts (PE) from thin brass sheet metal, with which very finely detailed structures can be produced as well known.

For building MLP and Crawler I use cardboard-model kits by David Maier from EDU-Craft Deversions on scale 1:144. The kits consist in each case of 13 colored building sheets of cardboard (27.5 cm x 42.5 cm) as well as a building guidance on CD-ROM.

To the scale problem:
As most of you will know, Revell kit 4911 is seriously underscale and not true to scale 1:144, which lead inevitably to problems with the building. Therefore one has two possibilities, if one likes to use the Revell kit.

Either one builds the kit Out Of Box (OOB), because in such a way the building groups FSS, RSS, shuttle stack and MLP fit to each other from the size, only stop is not everything on a scale 1:144, but only shuttle stack. Or one is compelling by partial scale adjustment to compromises and to scratch building, if one liked itself to orient halfway at the original. Of course one can do the build also without the Revell kit by overall scratch building.  ;)

As way out of the scale dilemma I decided for a compromise settlement. Therefore I made myself first of all own assembly drawings, in order to receive a better overview.

Starting point for my considerations was the following design of the member Halbtoter in Raumfahrer.net forum, which shows a comparison between the Revell kit 4911 and the FSS/RSS in the true scale 1:144.

Source: Halbtoter

The black design originates from the Revell building guidance, and the version drawn by Halbtoter by original plans of NASA is red in 1:144. It becomes clear one when exact looking that the red MLP (1: 144) does not fit no more into the Revell RSS.

Since this line tangle can confuse one first however and in addition the mini MLP of the Revell kit is not with drawn in, I made myself in addition the following designs:

This design illustrates clearly the descriptive scale dilemma of the Revell kit 4911, if one would build all OOB. The serious error is evenly the much to small MLP (1:200!!!) of the Revell kit, which does not fit somehow at all the total proportions. In addition it comes that also the FSS Tower (RSS probably similar) is too low approx. 7,6 cm thereby only one scale of approx. 1:168 corresponds. The image quality must accept your stop, because there two transparency sheets lie one above the other.

The next design shows now a comparison of the RSS/FSS with MLP in 1:144 (with me black!!!) and in contrast to the Revell conditions in 1:168 and/or 1:200 (red).

Considering this awkward situation I came to careful consideration in the long run that one does not come with the scale around a compromise unfortunately around, if one liked to use at least the FSS and RSS as main components of the Revell kit.

And in such a way now past planning for my project looks as compromise settlement, with which I will build MLP and Crawler in 1:160 and in addition FSS and RSS in the height are supplemented around approx. 3 cm. I hope now that the result will then contently place me also to some extent.

So, now however enough the preface and thus finally to the building and to the first parts and pictures.

First part of my project will be the MLP platform, for which I procured myself the cardboard model kit of EDU-Craft Diversions on a scale 1:144, with which one the MLP-2 used with the mission STS-6 can build. Since I will build however MLP and Crawler transporter on a scale 1:160, first I went with the 1:144 cardboard sheets into the copy shop to reduced it to 1:160. Here is a small selection from the 13 MLP sheets.

The two following pictures show now what then from it is to become, the MLP, first without

Source: EDU-Craft Diversions

and here at the same time with shuttle stack as impressive comparison with Revell's mini MLP.

Source: EDU-Craft Diversions

And in my next post I will show you first pictures of my building site.

« Last Edit: 11/13/2018 08:44 pm by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:
1:144 Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
Re: Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6
« Reply #1 on: 11/11/2012 12:20 pm »
Hi all,

and now finally some first pictures of my building site. This is the larger part of the MLP platform top side here.

And here the smaller part of the platform top side (continuation), the front (Side 1) and back (Side 3) as well as the left SRB Blast Chamber.

The next picture shows the two side panels of the MLP, Side 2 and Side 4, the right SRB Blast Chamber as well as the SSME Blast Chamber and parts of the 6 MLP "feet" (pedestals).

Since to me however a pure cardboard version appears not strong enough as foundation for shuttle stack nevertheless, I decided to give to the MLP a load-carrying sub-construction from hardboard and balsa which are then pasted with the colored cardboard. But not all details from cardboard look so mad and manufacture of special delicate parts could be very difficult (e.g. railings and in particular long and thin pipes!!!) Therefore I've intended, to build not everything of paper from the kit. Additional small parts and armatures as well as lines, railings and stairs I will scratch build of plastic sheet or metal.

Let's go, now it goes first times into the wood …, here the upper and lower cover plate of 1.8 mm hardboard.

On the upper cover plate the side panels and the retaining structure from Balsa were then glued on.

So, thus the MLP construction has already a quite tidy stability and might some launches loosely so probably get over.

Wow, now I'm however glad, the beginning is made and updates follow soon. And if to you to something it is noticeable, what perhaps better one could make, then does to you please no obligation, for constructional criticism or other proposals, hints and general feedback I would be very grateful.

« Last Edit: 09/16/2016 11:21 pm by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #2 on: 11/11/2012 03:15 pm »
And here is a next update. The carcass part looked last still rather naked. Therefore now first times the top deck got its decoration wallpaper. There first however times was the question about the most favorable sticking variant. Since such can full-laminar probably be pasted a relatively large surface of nevertheless approx. 30 cm x 25 cm from the tube or even with a Pritt pin rather more badly, I decided for sticking spray (Uhu). And thus it went then also completely well, although one must be careful, otherwise sticks there fast also everything else ...

Next was the front Side 1, whereby still following is to be entered afterwards: As one can see in one of my last pictures,

this front in the paper kit has the same height as the remaining MLP sides, which does not correspond however to the original, how one can see at the step on this NASA photo, which goes up to the center of the SSME Blast Chamber.

Without this step the building of the MLP base would be somewhat easier, which however was not in my sense. Therefore I have corrected this small omission sin of Mr. Maier by the appropriate step.

And then finally still the remaining 3 sides of the MLP followed.

Now does the MLP look equal already many nevertheless better. Only the bottom side is missing, with continues it then tomorrow.

« Last Edit: 09/16/2016 11:33 pm by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #3 on: 11/12/2012 01:19 pm »
Next the bottom side was completed, which got a grey painting from the Tamiya spray.

Thus then the outside covering of the MLP would be actually already nearly complete.

And as one in the pictures can see, became already also Blast chambers for the two Rocket booster (SRB) as well as the Main engine (SSME) disguises. During launch the hot exhaust gases are derived by these openings.

Although everything don't look bad already, however Blast hambers are just like the 4 sides to be structured later still further by scratch building. But I prepared already some meters of Sheet profiles (1x1 mm and 1.5x1.5 mm), as well as priming and paints. That must happen with my building method (unfortunately) before sticking together, since following painting is absolutely taboo. And that will be simultaneous then for me also the entrance into the Airbrushing, with which I have so far still no experience. Property in addition on recommending my modeling shop forwards to test the Aqua Color colors of Revell.

And then already a view ahead on the next details for the MLP deck, e.g. Blast deck and Blast Shields.

Then I unpacked my Airbrush basic set from Revell with compressor, loaded the gun and completely started courageously straight. Knew so far only the terrible vapor from the Tamiya sprays. 

And those are now my first proud results, approx. 6 current meters, which wait now for the cut.  ;)

Those are profiles 1.5x1.5 mm for the MLP sides and 1.0x1.0 mm for the SSME Blast chamber.

With the result I am so far quite actually content, but every beginning is difficult ... 

And now the freshly painted profiles should come naturally also on the right places. And so the first meter profile 1.5x1.5 mm is already glued, and it looks already quite good for the beginning.

There now however already still some meters of profiles lie before me and wait patiently for their dispatching. But occasionally the Blast deck follows now.

So that this very flat part should not bend with the sticking assembly in the center and to remain stable in itself, I imagined that a reinforcement from Balsa would be completely appropriate.

After bonding the Balsa board inside, the lateral chamfers were glued to. After this Blast deck could to be glued at its intended place. One must look already exactly, in order to recognize the flat part.

Subsequently, I have prepared the covering of the SSME Blast chamber, where must still reinforcement profiles be drawn in. For it I used the painted 1x1 mm profiles and cut of it 34 pieces on length.

And then the profiles with tweezers and superglue were glued, and so then one after another came to its place. That was, as already feared, a rather stressful affair. But then it (and also myself) was bushed.

And then are missing "only" still the reinforment profiles (1x1 mm) at the rear walls of the SRB Blast chambers, I wanted to scratch build also. For the lateral profiles I used paper strips copied from the kit.

But I state only straight ones that I must airbrush for it only again which. There I must have miscounted myself probably somehow.

Therefore followed next only still the preparation of the parts for the Blast shields over the 3 chambers. On the left side there are the parts for the underbody, into which for reinforcement an insert from cardboard (right) is glued, and below them the upper covers lie.

The SSME Blast shield is interrupted by the recesses for the two Tail service of masts (TSM). The front part of the Blast shields is already completely glued on the picture, with underbody inclusive reinforcement and cover. After bonding the cardboard reinforcement then also the underbody of the SRB Blast shields could be glued on the deck.

With covering the underbody I will however wait still until the reinforcment profiles (1x1 mm) at the rear walls of the SRB Chambers are glued, since there is otherwise possibly no clean edge.

Therefore I planned still the shifting of the reinforcement profiles at the MPL-Side 3, which is fortunately not completely as complex structured up to the middle small articles as the other sides. Thus first again the necessary profiles were suitably cut,

then each part with the tweezers moved, with a toothpick the back carefully with Superglue dabs, and then with calm hand glued on first attempt in the correct position on the intended place. And in such a way it finally looks if everything folded.

Now only still the two outside profiles (4x1,5 mm) are missing, which must be only still painted however.

« Last Edit: 09/16/2016 11:43 pm by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #4 on: 11/13/2012 01:44 pm »
Since I with the upper cover of the SRB Blast shields myself some more wait must, next were the Hold downs with the supports for the two SRB's. Those are the mounting plates of the Boosters rockets into the SRB holes. In the following picture one can see two of it, the wedge-shaped supports, four of them carry a SRB in each case.

And it went loosely with the preparation:

First I cut out a part and folded it (above). According to building guidance one should strengthen the parts inside with several layers of cardboard (see black master, left). In addition I seized and in each case the proven Balsa wood back a thicker (left) and a thinner part (right) sticks together with one another. That is necessary, because the Hold downs are not symmetrical and have a chamfer at a side.

Folding and bonding the Balsa cores was already a considerable stress.   There one is probably faster finished, if one parts from a full Sheet blank would file. But then the eight parts finished product finite and lay ready for assembly,

and could be bonded into the SRB Holes.

Now are missing on the Hold Downs only the four supports, that are in the following picture the grey cones with the red covers.

And that they are to become then.

I left the 8 supports for the Hold Downs first times aside. But I operated again some photo researches for further detailing of the MLP side panels and prepared and afterwards painted the plastic profiles necessary for it.

Those are among other things the bracket sections at the four corners of the MLP (1), the “rain pipes” profiles (2) at the top margin of the Sides 2 and Side 4 with the associated downspouts (3), as well as further square and flat profiles, so among other things also the still which is missing 1x1 mm of profiles for the reinforcement bars at the rear walls of the SRB Holes.

There they lie now and wait for the final cut.

It continued to go again at the rear walls of the SRB Holes. And as if I would have suspected it, already only the cut of the 1x1 mm of profiles for the reinforcement bars had it in itself. That were per one Hole 35 profiles of different length, whereby the smallest pieces at the upper ends were “long” scarcely 2 mm. The “crumbs” cut and still hold at the same time, go actually not at all, also not with tweezers. And the 70 profiles with superglue on the correct place to then glue separately, that was already one considerable wearing down and stressful number.  

But it is done now, wow !!!

And I am actually completely content with the result. Nevertheless so still a nuance sees more genuinly out in the comparison with the photo detail. But altogether it was nevertheless more complex, than I had at first presented it to me. One has that now from its detail fad.

And it is only for the sake of completeness mentioned that thereby now finally also SRB Blast Shields cover could be glued together.

And in such a way it looks from downside.

Property now finally also the four corners of the MLP with the angle profiles completed and at the back the two still which are missing diagonal flat profiles attached.

After the Side 3 I planned now the Side 4. First of all I again removed the 1,5x1,5 mm of tie profiles already glued together, since with exact view in some photos it had noticed to me that the tie profiles lay more deeply than the vertical profiles and therefore flatter profiles must be.

And in such a way my Side 4 looks thereby now:

Now only some angle profiles 1,5x1,5 mm (smaller does not give it unfortunately) are missing to still few smaller lines, and then naturally still the LOX- and LH2-Pipes with the mounting plates in each case around the access doors. And on the back (Side 3) are likewise only missing the angle profiles. Thus it pleases me slowly complete well.

For a change I have made further with the Stair housing on Blast deck, which was strengthened inside again with Balsa pieces,

and afterwards on Blast deck one glued together. The door something strengthened with cardboard.

« Last Edit: 09/16/2016 11:53 pm by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #5 on: 11/14/2012 07:29 am »
There first still the remaining tie bars and angle profiles were to be attached to the Side 2, which I had to only still procure myself. And this Side 2 should really have it in itself.   

Here again to the memory the inital state, only with vertical profiles just:

The angle profiles are in each case as verge around all access doors of the MLP sides as well as around the four instrumentation interface panel, how just was to be seen.

For the horizontal angle profiles above and underneath the doors and panels I took the smallest available plastic profiles 1,5x1,5 mm and am for the still smaller vertical angle profiles laterally the doors and panels 1x1 mm of profiles from brass, that genuinly already considerable mites.   

Thus I had due to the mixture technology from cardboard kit and plastic parts, selected of me for MLP and Crawler, inevitably first only again into the spray booth, since before the subsequent treatment all parts must be painted. That is a small however substantial difference to the generally usual pure plastic construction way, with which under normal conditions everything can afterwards be installed and glued together and one paints. And when the assembling of the before painted components signs of usage of tweezers and other aids often cannot be avoided despite all caution, why then afterwards again must be repaired.

And in such a way the Side 2 looks now with all along and tie bars (nearly finished):

And here two detail opinions:

And on it goes to the opposite Side 4, in principle yes a similar venture, which concerns the profiles, but however with a small delicacy.   

In addition first times this simple rebus, as it were as a small harbinger:

First times in the foreground for feeling his way not to unfortunately nearly recognize because of the blur however and only suspect by the small bit behind it with something trouble: the 1x1 mm angle profiles (brass), behind it four small doors as well as two further downspouts for the gutters.

And thus to the actual mystery-ask:
For what is the ribbon to be good and/or which puts behind there probably?

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline saturnapollo

• Edinburgh, UK
    • Space Models Photography
  • Liked: 230
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #6 on: 11/14/2012 11:00 am »
You are doing an incredible job there. The main problem with that kit is the disparity of scales between the shuttle and the rest of it, but you seem to have found a workable solution. And the detail you are incorporating is incredible.

You might be interested in joing the space modellers e-mail group by the way

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/space-modelers/?start=128

Keith

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #7 on: 11/14/2012 02:24 pm »
Hi Keith,

Thanks for all the kind words! Your comments give me encouragement to keep pushing on my major project.  :)

I fully agree with you, the Revell kits 4910/4911 are great kits but the main problem is really that they are underscale.  :( FSS and RSS (1:168), and in particular the MLP (only 1: 200) have different scales, but only the shuttle stack actually is 1:144. Thus one can either build all OOB or makes a compromise and adjusts the systems as me.

Do you know the nice detail kits for the FSS tower from LVM Studios, that I want to use?

Thank you also for the link to the yahoo-group, where are certainly a lot of interesting information for modelers. Are there also individual progress reports of builds?  :-\

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #8 on: 11/15/2012 12:55 pm »
Because it seems no one knows I want to solve the puzzle. And here is the detail, which it concerns. There is this small ventilation screen in the Bay 7 of Side 4:

And it looks like this on a scale 1:160:

But were first already a few preliminary tests for the most favorable handling necessary. In the final version I cut myself first the internal window opening of approx. 6,2x6,8 mm with a cutter from a piece of paper and glued then a somewhat larger piece of the priming ribbon over it. Afterwards I drew the outside edge (7,5x8 mm) around the lattice opening, and cut these out then carefully, from which finally a framework strength of < 1 mm results. And after the concluding brushing finish the work was then achieved and had to be glued only carefully between the 1x1 mm of bracket sections in Bay 7.  8)

It is in the long run only a small detail, could one now mean, who is hardly still noticeable in the MLP wall, but rounds it somehow off nevertheless the overall view, finds I. And in addition I wanted to try myself times at so a fine structure.

And now only the Side 1 stands so completely naked and without everything there, but that will now soon change also. There is a lot of equipment to build yes.

Here is a picture of the original in full beauty to the warm-up. There are already alone four Access Platforms in different height with various equipment, walkways, stairs, railings and a lot of pipes.

But first were to be attached into already well-known way the vertical reinforcement profiles, thus a comparatively rather lighter exercise.

And thus to the longest four the Access Platforms, that is at the left side, above the MLP NR., here in the original.

On the paper sheet the individual parts for it see so out (left side):

Actually it should go with the Access Platforms at the Side 1 further, and I had begun thereby already.

I strengthened the upper section of the platform (in front) again with 2 mm of Balsa. Behind it the bottom side of the platform lies. The two recesses on the right and left were suggested in D. Maiers kit template only as such, what does not please me however, and therefore I've cut it out. Above the right recess (arrow) a long stairway leads to the upper deck (0 Level) of  MLP-1.

Since I found out however in the meantime, there was no stairway at the MLP-2 with the STS-6, and therefore I had omitted.  ;)

Above the left opening (arrow) a camera sits on a small platform.

With more exact regarding of the platform parts I've got the question, how the platforms in reality looked, whether are closed, or whether it concerns broken through gratings, which I thereupon followed.

After I looked at myself some NASA photos exactly, I found out that it concerns open gratings, as one can see in this photo.

And after I had found that out, I had following idea: Why I should not try whether the top sides of the Access Platforms would drive themselves out not also as gratings leave. And there I was with my thoughts immediately again with the small ventilation screen on the Side 4, which I had scratch built from a ribbon.

I am some more considering, whether I am to really do myself the expenditure, but would already provoke me that. And therefore I'll plan that next times. If it folds, I could build all other Access Platforms also in such a way.

That however would mean that I must build also the underbody for the gratings themselves, and for it I need the necessary profiles. Those are essentially I-beam sections, on the basis of photos I estimate approx. 1,5x2,5 mm (1:160). And then it would also present itself to likewise build the struts from plastic profiles and do without the paper struts.  ::)

Completely so fast I will be able to start thereby not yet. After careful consideration I mean textile variant envisaged with the ribbon for the gratings probably nevertheless to reject and the rust instead from metallic tissue to make. That would then in any case be the more solid and more durable solution, as I find.  8)

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #9 on: 11/16/2012 06:15 am »
Then I already procured myself the first profiles for the building of platforms, with which it could to start then shortly.

Those are from top to bottom:

I-beam section 3x1,5 mm plastic
I-beam section 2,5x1,5 mm brass
L-section 2x1 mm brass
Angle profile 1x1 mm brass

For the gratings I will use now fine-mesh PE plates from brass. Therefor I have estimated the mesh size of the gratings on the basis this and other photos roughly as follows:

Thus the mesh size should amount to therefore in the original 12.0x2.4 cm and in 1:160 0.75x0.15 mm. Since however so fine-mesh PE plates are offered by no manufacturer, I decided then for a mesh width of 1.2x0.7 mm, which corresponds to the original at least in 2nd approximation.   

Therefore I selected now and ordered gratings with 1.2x0.7 mm of mesh size of the Polish company ABER, for which I wait now.

Source: McM Marketing

« Last Edit: 11/16/2012 06:17 am by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #10 on: 11/16/2012 06:30 am »
So that it precedes nevertheless, I turned, i.e. now to another important equipment of the MLP the two Tail service masts (TSM). Those are the box-like things to both sides of the SSME exhaust hole, by whose interfaces the shuttle is connected with the MLP. Over it all important supply lines and connections run, via which the shuttle stack is supplied with all necessary media (energy, fuels, data etc.), which are needed during the mission.

The TSM parts look on the kit sheet in such a way:

Although both TSM's from the outside form look almost alike, they differ nevertheless in some details, which will still have to be seen. I began first with the right TSM, by which the pipe for the liquid oxygen (LO2) runs.

In the building guidance all steps are in detail illustrated.

First again reinforcement pieces for the two TSM bases had to be made, to which I had used Balsa and cardboard in proven way again, in order to come on the necessary strength. However the template of the paper kit (black) proved as too inaccurate and/or useless.

In the next step the cores were glued into the paper covering.

n front of the TSM lies one of the two opening flaps with the Balsa reinforcement, which must be glued still in each case on the dark strips on front site and back.

And in such a way the base of the TSM looks then:

The two opening flaps are not glued to yet, since only still the larger cover (M1B on the sheet above) must to the left TSM side to, which projects laterally, to which then the opening flaps directly attaches.

The bizarre thing (M1C) in the center are parts of the pipings, which I will however not build of paper, because as a too reckless exercise appears to me, whose failing I would like itself to save gladly. That can be made surely more elegant from plastic profiles and wire, thinks I times.

The orange parts right beside the TSM are to show one „the plug “, whereby I do not realize myself however yet whether I will build those. Thus I must anyway still wait, until that will be finished shuttle (1:144), in order to see whether it would then still fit between them.

Here however first again the first TSM, still without decorating details such as pipings, cable, ports, etc., but at least already with the opening flaps in front and in the back as well as with the lateral cover to SSME chamber.

The next picture shows the preparations for the second TSM:

Then there is a small difference in form of a curved hood, which pulls itself over the TSM curvature to consider with this TSM.

This curved hood (M2F) exhibits a lamellar extension, which is a Cable Tray according to D. Maier's kit.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline OV135

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: 11/16/2012 08:24 pm »
Here are some reference pics on another site. :)  http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234927598

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #12 on: 11/16/2012 08:56 pm »
Hi OV135,

thanks for the britmodeller.com link with a lot of interesting pics and projects, really a great source.  8)

Manfred
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #13 on: 11/17/2012 01:59 pm »
In the meantime now also the other TSM is including hood so well finished, up to the pipings, cables and ports, and so on.

And therefore I already made a first fitting apart from SSME chamber. To firmly glue together I did not want the TSM's however yet, since the missing pipes and so on can adapt and be moved probably nevertheless more skillfully, as long as one takes the parts into the hand and as desired to turn and can turn.

Well please, thus the MLP gets now slowly also more and more a correct face,

and accepts thereby now ever more clearly his salient courses.

In the meantime now also the piping mechanics already began with their work and a sample of the thicker two pipes(approx. 1 mm ø) at the right TSM by right bent:

After a first fitting, which actually looked completely acceptably,

was one then however nevertheless the opinion that this cannot be the optimal solution. Since the thicker pipe has not continuous the same diameter, but should be absolutely improved itself within the front range before the Umbilical flap rejuvenated, as in the picture is to be seen here, according to opinion of the chief inspector.

See times whether the boys still somehow managed.

While the piping mechanics at the TSM must wait still for the correct pipes, it could go for it with the Access platforms further, since the grating PE plates, mesh size 1.2x0.7 mm, in the meantime were delivered by MCM Marketing.

Those are actually as small with 78x44 mm, as announced, do not look bad for it however.  8)

The brass L-profiles 2x1 mm lay already some time in the camp. Now it can go then finally also with the Access Platforms at the MLP Side 1 further.

« Last Edit: 11/17/2012 02:21 pm by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #14 on: 11/18/2012 11:46 am »
Let's begin with the first Access Platform AP 1.

Therefore next the measures of the platform marked out successively on the L-beam (2x1 mm), at the corners the narrow side (1 mm) carefully in each case a miter was in-filed, and the first bend already was done.

And it already went around the next corner and to the next bend, and so on … However looks simply, the next pictures therefore in fast consequence:

And the first framework was finished in principle already. And therefore directly to the PE-plate with the grating, to which now the framework measures became to transfer.

Afterwards the first part of the grating was carefully cut out,  8)  fit in within the frameworks and glued together with Superglue.

Now the missing rest of the grating was to be only installed, and the first Access platform was so well finished already, up to the small framework for the camera landing.

And the boys created that just before the end of workday.

Next then the underbody with the girders and bracers is to do. Since I did not want to use the shown platform brackets from the Paper kit, plastic profiles were used. For the girders I used now H-beams 1.5x1.5 mm, which conclude the frameworks downward concisely with the L-beam. The planned I-beams 2x1,3 mm would have over confessed downward over the frameworks.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #15 on: 11/18/2012 04:57 pm »
So, well then ago with the bracers - Stop times people! These pipsqueaks one should not naturally want to glue in such a way from the hollow hand, that would not become accurate. Therefore I considered myself following small assembly aids for the right angles:

And now it can start, and always carefully the bracers with the tweezers to snap, so that they do not jump aside again, with Superglue dabs and then fast and accurately at the characterized places diagonally against the platform carriers glued. And after the 9th bracer it was then finally done.  ::)

And because it went so beautifully, directly still the first cross-beams were by right cut and adapted, which can be glued now.

Well yes, sees already completely properly out for first, I think.  ;)

In the meantime also the remaining bracers at the first Access Platform were installed.

Who looks exactly, will recognize that on the right of outside the last diagonal bracer is missing, which I removed from the following reason again: There was not completely clear me so far, how this bracer is installed, because at this place of Side 1 there is no vertical reinforcement profile, at which all remaining diagonal bracers push away.

As one in the next photo clearly can see (arrow), this last bracer is somewhat shorter than the others and supports themselves against the diagonal props of the Pedestal support off, while all remaining bracers prop away against the vertical reinforcement profiles of Side 1.

Therefore this bracer can be installed only if this Pedestal support at the corner to Side 2 will be installed. There are a few small props in the original platform still, but without those I can live, particularly since I think that it looks so already acceptably. In the end it was anyway already rather stressful with the small parts.

Then I already out-looked for the sheet with the accessories parts, that would then next be the two Equipment pallets AP 1 C (left) and AP 1 D (right), on which then still different armatures will be installed, among other things a first camera (AP 1 G/H).

And like the first try-on shows, the platform fits nevertheless already completely well to its place.

And already it can go on with the next Access platform (AP 2), that is the lowest platform at Side 1, of one can arrive over stairs at the Crawler.

Here is the appropriate kit template, in which some, like this stairs to the Crawler, is only suggested e.g. Okay, who does not build the Crawler, this stairs do not need, but the opening is nevertheless present, and it reaches nearly up to the center of the platform.  8)

So long for today.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #16 on: 11/19/2012 04:49 pm »
And after the technology approved in the meantime it continued with the second Access platform AP 2. First again the brass framework was bent from L-beam 2x1 mm.

By the recess later stairs lead from the platform to the crawler.

Now the PE-plate for the grating has his turn, which must be marked out and cut exactly made to measure, which not at all times is so simple.

There one must look already very exactly and watch out infernally, in order to always remain when cutting in the same mesh. And if the lattice does not fit correctly then yet within the frameworks, just still another tiny mesh must be cut off.  ::)

In addition one needs genuinly good nerves and above all a calm hand - and at the best still another magnifying glass, I at least. And those was genuinly helpful!  8)

And after careful sticking of the lattice together in the framework with superglue it was then finally creative.  ;D

so, now the welders have made their job and installed the grating props. That were again the proven H-beams 1,5x1,5 mm as well as rectangle profiles 1,5x1 mm.

Since this lowest platform at the MLP does not have further girders, it could be actually painted.  ;)

« Last Edit: 11/19/2012 09:17 pm by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #17 on: 11/19/2012 09:38 pm »
Next now the Access Platform AP 3 is in turn. That is the platform with important equipment and armatures for the fuel supply of the shuttle stack, in particular the LOX & LH2 Valve Complex, lain above the platform AP 2.

The surface area of the platform is this time fortunately only a simple rectangle, without sales or recesses. But there are above on it some difficult armatures where it guaranteed still some gives to fiddle about. On the paper sheet there is some again only hazily suggested, in particular the parts of AP 3 A-C , how one can see here.

Let's see, what one can make from it. Next property I bent the frameworks of the remaining two Access Platforms AP 3 (above) and AP 4 (down) from brass L-beam.

As already said, the AP 3 is the platform with the LOX & LH2 Valve Complex armatures above the AP 2, and the AP 4 is the small platform at the right side of the Side 1 below the LOX & LH2 pipes.

And there just a suitable rest of PE-lattices for the AP 4 was remaining, I still cut, fit in and glued together.

It continues to go with the props at the Access Platform AP 4, with which according to the paper sheet of D. Maier five girders as platform carriers just are intended.

First these girders were cut just from H-beams(1,5x1,5 mm) and glued in the framework. Besides the preparatory diagonal bracers from I-beam section (2,5x1,3 mm) already lie, with which the platform is braced against the MLP wall.

There I remembered again that with the platform AP 1 at the left side the last outside diagonal bracer could not be glued together yet, since the local Pedestal support is still missing. And that is on this side exactly the same, as one can see in the following picture. The front diagonal bracer of the AP 4 supports itself likewise against the reinforcing props of the Pedestal support off, which must be somewhat shorter therefore than the remaining bracers and therefore can yet not be installed.

With regarding the photo I saw that there are also still cross-beams and two further diagonal girders at the bottom of the platform for instance in the center, which Mr. Maier obviously saved.

Thus the bracers were put first aside by right and only the missing cross-beams (1,5x1 mm) were cut,

together with two further diagonal props were then glued. And thus the platform should be sufficiently stable now in itself.

And in the end now the diagonal bracers came to the row, which support the platform against the MLP wall. For their assembly block was used as a plant assistance,

whereby the last outside bracer was still omitted for the time being.

So long.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #18 on: 11/20/2012 03:33 pm »
Thus, now I arrived finally to the last Access Platform AP 3 with the LOX & LH2 Valve Complex armatures. And there I try straight to pursue the props at the bottom of the platform since these are partly missing in the paper template.

I have found a picture, in which one can see the profiles of the platform very well.

Here is again the paper template of the Access Platform AP 3 for memory, which look rather harmless from the structuring at first. As I know however meanwhile, that's not in reality at all like that, because already some props are partly missing, and even one is too much there.

As one can see in the picture, this platform is to be carried by five struts illustrated above. That is not correct however, what becomes clear from the following NASA photo of the STS-121 in high resolution. There clearly the middle diagonal bracer is missing. I want to admit gladly that I recognized also only after repeated exact regarding and by comparison with further photographs.

And in the photo of my the latter post and further pictures one can recognize quite well the arrangement of the girders, I have tried now to detail all as well as possible which should become a bold venture however altogether.

Thus I installed first only the four girders and the front middle cross-beam from H-beam (1x1,5 mm). The lateral cross-beams and diagonal struts are made from rectangle profile (1,5x1 mm). Afterwards the two cross-beams lying above should actually come to. Since there are however still further longerons just, I wanted to only bond these, since appeared complicated as somewhat less to me.

However, also like that the rest was a rather nerve-stretchin gaffair, which already cost me some time to this way, as one can see. And between the longerons just now still the tiny cross-beams must be glued.

And here all the tiny cross-beams are now at its place, and still another few different props more, which was again a rather stressful action.

And then only the four bracers are missing in the end. And those are then altogether flabby 37 individual parts, inclusive brass frameworks and grating, if I counted correctly.
Sometimes afterwards I am astonished at me, perhaps some one may also me doubt, but forget it ...
If the platform is finally finished then, I have however only times enough from props and gratings and make three crosses ...
Now followed still the diagonal bracers, which were glued together again with the help of the assembly block.

And that was relatively fast made.

And with a small addition (?) as crowning conclusion - well, who from you has it discovered? - the Access Platform AP 3 was then finally finished, became yes also time.

And here again all four Access Platforms for the Side 1, from top to bottom AP 1 to AP 4, are in their whole splendor, from the bottom,

and in the end again from above.

And thus now the platforms are finally completely to paint, and I make, as promised, + + +, seem to me slowly already as behind the bars ...

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #19 on: 11/21/2012 04:18 pm »
And to relaxation of the many lattices of the Access Platforms I planned now the MLP feet, the so-called Pedestals, on which the MLP with the shuttle stack stand beside the Launch Tower, if they were near dragged and set off by the Crawler.

Altogether there are six Pedestals, four at the MLP corners and two in the middle of the two sides (Side 2 and 4).

And that must naturally fit everything hair-exactly one above the other, before the MLP can be set off and bolted firmly. The platform must bear finally enormous forces during the shuttle start and stand still nevertheless.

So that one can set the MLP off on the pedestals, one needs admission devices for the assembly, and those are the so-called Mount Mechanism Interface (MMI). In the picture on the left that is the middle MMI at Side 4, and right one can see a corner pedestal. The two corner pedestals at Side 1 look some more differently.

In the paper sheet the MMI parts look like these:

As one sees, are quite simple parts, and exactly the same they look then probably also at the MLP, as it were like small blocks. That would be now however nevertheless somewhat too simple for me, and therefore I had remembered the MLP Templates (P. 5-6) of AXM Paper Scale Model, which appears first still simpler, but built should them look surely more delicate.

And thus or similarly it could also have arranged David Maier now, or about not? But unfortunately he did not make that however, like some other details also not.

Source: AXM Paper Scale Model

But for fun I built both variants to the comparison. First the baseplates come to the MLP bottom. In the kits template there only the pedestal numbers are printed on it.

Afterwards I took first times cardboard and tried two samples, therefore looks and judges to best.

The variant (left), handmade after the AXM template, was finally painted with the brush. Besides already lie the parts made from Sheet, like the final version probably will are, inclusive Airbrush finish.

Afterwards I attached for a test times both variants at the MLP, in order to have the direct comparison, as one can see here. The paper sheet variant would then still come naturally also on a small baseplate and thus on the same height, that you may not disturb you.

But just honestly, which pleases variant you better?

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography