Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 - NROL-76 - May 1, 2017 - DISCUSSION  (Read 384645 times)

Online Alter Sachse

• Near Heidelberg
  • Liked: 1475
  • Likes Given: 1772
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 - NROL-76 - May 1, 2017 - DISCUSSION
« Reply #40 on: 11/04/2016 09:03 am »
Or could it be a satellite to test new technology ?
One day you're a hero  next day you're a clown  there's nothing that is in between
        Jeff Lynne - "21century man"

Offline Alpha817

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: 12/25/2016 12:37 pm »
Although it's scheduled to launch on the same month as PSN-6, it's unlikely to be a big satellite as PSN - 6 it's own weigh 5000 kg so IF NROL 76 to be launched together, it would weighing a mere 1 ton. Though it's unlikely NRO launch their satellite with a commercial satellite  (except cubesats).

*edit: i mean the maximum payload for Falcon 9 with a landing is about 6 tons. So if a satellite weigh 5 tons, it would give 1 ton margin, either way it would be expandable version of Falcon 9. Thanks
« Last Edit: 12/25/2016 11:39 pm by Alpha817 »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81292
  • Likes Given: 36800
« Reply #42 on: 02/11/2017 02:10 pm »
So this was announced last May and there doesn't appear to have been any news since. Presumably if it were to be launched in the next couple of months we would have heard more about it by now?

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1020
« Reply #43 on: 03/17/2017 06:18 pm »

Online Chris Bergin

L2 had April 16 NET several days ago for this one, but it's a long way off - not least with SpaceX to launch SES-10 first and we'll just have to keep an eye on it.

We think the F9 S1 arriving today is for this mission. See above post.
« Last Edit: 03/17/2017 07:49 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Galactic Penguin SST

Any signs of an NRO mission patch for this one?  ;)
« Last Edit: 03/18/2017 12:27 am by Galactic Penguin SST »
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Raul

• Ústí nad Orlicí, CZECH
  • Liked: 1188
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #46 on: 03/18/2017 01:18 pm »
As I posted here two weeks ago, I think this flight could be "SpaceX Mission 1363" according to new nomenclature in FCC application.

Other FCC application with same requested period of operation says it includes LZ-1 booster landing - so probably LEO satellite. And NROL-76 is only one mission in closest SpX manifest (except CRS-11), which could be non GTO mission from 39a.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #47 on: 03/19/2017 08:02 am »
Y'know, I can't help but wonder how well the very different culture of SpaceX and the NRO 'spooks' will mesh. I have no doubt that SpaceX's people will be very professional but I can imagine that the NRO might be a bit wary of working with SpaceX's more transparent and public-facing culture when it comes to publicising their work.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3968
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #48 on: 03/19/2017 08:38 am »
Y'know, I can't help but wonder how well the very different culture of SpaceX and the NRO 'spooks' will mesh. I have no doubt that SpaceX's people will be very professional but I can imagine that the NRO might be a bit wary of working with SpaceX's more transparent and public-facing culture when it comes to publicising their work.

Well they are going to have to learn to adapt with organisations like the NRO if they want to make any inroads into government contracts long term.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81292
  • Likes Given: 36800
« Reply #49 on: 03/19/2017 09:25 am »
I don't see much of an issue here. SpaceX don't discuss payloads and payload missions, they leave that to their customers (or just quote what I'm sure is customer approved material in launch briefing packs etc).

Launch dates are not secret and I don't see any publicity around the launch process being an issue. If SpaceX were required to keep things like precise spacecraft separation timing secret or not show camera shots of fairing separation etc then I'm sure they would.

I remember people complaining in the past when SpaceX ended their webcasts at SECO!

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #50 on: 03/19/2017 09:27 am »

Well they are going to have to learn to adapt with organisations like the NRO if they want to make any inroads into government contracts long term.

Since they have a backlog of a couple dozen government launches (extending through 2024), I think there's a reasonable chance they will be able to make some 'inroads'
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #51 on: 03/19/2017 09:29 am »

Since they have a backlog of a couple dozen government launches (extending through 2024), I think there's a reasonable chance they will be able to make some 'inroads'

Government in this case equaling the intelligence  agencies of course.
« Last Edit: 03/19/2017 09:30 am by Star One »

Offline AncientU

« Reply #52 on: 03/19/2017 09:54 am »

The intelligence agencies will also likely adapt to the new realities of the launch market... and the a-sat threat.  Their current battleship galactica approach to NRO platforms needs to drastically change if they want their assets to remain viable long term.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #53 on: 03/19/2017 10:00 am »

The intelligence agencies will also likely adapt to the new realities of the launch market... and the a-sat threat.  Their current battleship galactica approach to NRO platforms needs to drastically change if they want their assets to remain viable long term.

Yes because of course we can know what's the best approach in future for agencies and missions that are completely classified. Also for example payloads like the KH-11 are always going to be large because for the foreseeable future we can't circumvent the laws of physics that demands a certain size of lens for a certain level of resolution.

Strangely enough I imagine the NRO puts national security above market concerns in the things it has to consider.
« Last Edit: 03/19/2017 10:04 am by Star One »

Offline AncientU

« Reply #54 on: 03/19/2017 10:14 am »
It is not market concerns, it is market opportunities.  There has been plenty discussion about dis-aggregating assets among the military planners.  Many functions like certain types of optical intelligence gathering may continue to rely on large optics, but there  are many (most) other gathering techniques that could be improved and hardened by flying a constellation of smaller sats.  When that happens, the exact release timing or orbit of a given sat will become irrelevant.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13846
  • Likes Given: 5915
« Reply #55 on: 03/19/2017 02:55 pm »
What does any of this have to do with NROL-76?

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 237
« Reply #56 on: 03/19/2017 04:15 pm »
What does any of this have to do with NROL-76?

Ostensibly it's speculation about what the payload could be and how the NRO and SpaceX are going to mesh, but it seems to be devolving into arguments with Jim.

In any event, we don't even know if this is an optical intelligence bird. It could very well be a series of smaller (iridium sized) satellites for LEO signal intelligence. We'll just have to wait and see.
Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT), PAZ+Starlink (Falcon 9 FT), Arabsat-6A (Falcon Heavy)
Pilgrimaged to: Boca Chica (09/19 & 01/22)

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #57 on: 03/22/2017 01:41 am »
As I posted here two weeks ago, I think this flight could be "SpaceX Mission 1363" according to new nomenclature in FCC application.

Other FCC application with same requested period of operation says it includes LZ-1 booster landing - so probably LEO satellite. And NROL-76 is only one mission in closest SpX manifest (except CRS-11), which could be non GTO mission from 39a.
IIRC, the NRO launch isn't a commercial launch.  Ergo, no FCC applications and no FAA launch license for this mission.  Frequencies for NSS missions, and launch authority, are ceded from other US Govt agencies. 
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #58 on: 03/22/2017 11:44 am »
IIRC, the NRO launch isn't a commercial launch.

It wasn't purchased through the Air Force

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 939
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #59 on: 03/22/2017 11:56 am »
IIRC, the NRO launch isn't a commercial launch.

It wasn't purchased through the Air Force

The two NEMESIS SIGINT satellites (PAN & CLIO) were also launched through commercial purchased Atlas launches. Perhaps this one here is similar. But on the other hand PAN and CLIO did not have (known) NROL designators.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography