Author Topic: SpaceX Fleet Photos - taken by NSF members - competition  (Read 9977 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Per an upcoming article by Michael Baylor on the SpaceX Fleet, we got thinking about photos. The way SpaceX's fleet keeps upgrading, we need fresh photos all the time. Obviously, our guys - all of whom are very talented - mainly go out for launches - so it's the period in-between we're looking to use to supplement and we'd prefer our own photo stock - so how about a bit of crowdsourcing given we've got such a large community here.

Goal:
Posts of up to date photos of the SpaceX fleet from both the East and West coast - posted in this thread

Current priority wish list.

We already have some help via Julia, Alicia etc on the East Coast, but we'll take more and we're really looking to boost the West Coast.

For example, wide shots of Mr. Steven showing the full boat is the priority, per upcoming articles. A few close ups of the arms would be a nice bonus. Maybe a shot of the inflatable ring in front of Mr. Steven too.

JRTI, a wide shot photo.

A photo of NRC Quest as we've not seen her for a while.

Rules:

They must be your photos. You can upload them as attachments to posts, or link them from your album account or social media account (like Twitter). Attachments are best, for the record.

From public areas. Never enter any places you're not supposed to. If there's port or other security and you're near them, be open, say what you're doing and make sure it's all cool.

Prize:
Any photo we use in an article, that person gets a year of L2 for free. (That person can choose if they want their username or real name accredited.)

We'll see how this works out, as it may take a while to build up a head of steam and all sites like this have the challenge of other sites trawling for content (some accredit, some accredit weakly, some don't even do that). But hopefully we can apply this model to other areas.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline radiskull

• Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: SpaceX Fleet Photos - taken by NSF members - competition
« Reply #1 on: 07/13/2018 07:41 pm »
This one won't win any award, but it was the best I could do.  Taken 2018 Jul 11.

Offline Nydoc

• Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #2 on: 07/14/2018 12:28 am »
This one won't win any award, but it was the best I could do.  Taken 2018 Jul 11.
You might have better luck from the Ports 'O Call parking lot across the channel.

Offline radiskull

« Reply #3 on: 07/14/2018 03:10 am »
You might have better luck from the Ports 'O Call parking lot across the channel.
Thanks for the info.

Offline Chris Bergin

You win an award by reading the request and going for it. Keep at it! :)

Meanwhile, it's hilarious that the day after, SpaceX update Mr. Steven on Twitter! :) Thread still applies. Let's have a weekend of fleet spotting!
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
  • Liked: 4868
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #5 on: 07/15/2018 07:16 pm »
We still are in need of Port of LA images. Mr. Steven is the highest priority. NRC Quest and JRTI would be a nice bonus. I've made a map to help those find the best photo spots. For Mr. Steven, it should be easy to get great photos from a legal viewing location.

For NRC Quest and JRTI, it's a bit more sketchy. I've never been to the Port of LA myself, so not sure what the area is like on the ground. I know photographers have gone there before, but that doesn't mean they were doing it legally... Please don't do anything stupid. Worst case, go to miner street and see what you can see from there as that's legal but partially obstructed. A written report without photos is also useful.

Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zNjg1grNR30B_Rq4Z_eAvKpHYBz-QS71&usp=sharing

Finally, keep tabs on MarineTraffic.com if you are planning and heading out. The ships have been known to move around!

« Last Edit: 07/15/2018 07:31 pm by Michael Baylor »

Offline AndyX

• Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 594
« Reply #6 on: 07/15/2018 07:59 pm »
SpaceX tweeted a great updated photo of Mr. Steven. Perhaps explain what type of photo you mean because we're not short of the actual modification :)

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
  • Liked: 4868
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #7 on: 07/15/2018 08:21 pm »
SpaceX tweeted a great updated photo of Mr. Steven. Perhaps explain what type of photo you mean because we're not short of the actual modification :)
The whole world has already seen the SpaceX ones. We are looking for something fresh and original. Mr. Steven is changing regularly too. There is a good chance that someone will spot something new.

Offline Julia B

This is obviously not West Coast but I'll post the new PoV fleet shot I captured a few days ago for the archive. GO Searcher next to dock facing forward, GO Quest directly behind with GO Pursuit (empty deck) along side. Behind the three ships is OCISLY featuring the end that the Tug chains up to. This shot shows just how wide OCISLY is when docked. Also pictured is a front view of GO Searcher with the new Crew Dragon radar gear.

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
« Reply #9 on: 07/16/2018 05:29 pm »
(pictures and commentary)

Julia, since it's your first post, I just wanted to welcome you to the forum.  We've appreciated your fleet coverage on Twitter!
« Last Edit: 07/16/2018 05:29 pm by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: 07/16/2018 09:08 pm »
Yes, I'd like to thank Julia as well. Great work!
« Last Edit: 07/16/2018 09:08 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Chris Bergin

And many thanks to this thread for helping with this! (Please keep them coming).

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018/07/spacex-five-recoveries-less-two-weeks-fleet-activity/
- By Michael Baylor

- Awesome 2,700 word overview of the SpaceX Fleet status

Offline radiskull

« Reply #12 on: 07/29/2018 08:17 pm »
Mr. Steven with three fairing halves on the dock.

Offline AstroMickey

• Long Island, NY
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: 08/22/2018 07:12 pm »
Taken from a cruise ship departing Port Canaveral on Friday, August 17, 2018.

« Last Edit: 08/22/2018 07:12 pm by AstroMickey »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography