Author Topic: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2  (Read 169762 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2
« Reply #140 on: 09/28/2018 07:56 pm »
Twitter embedding now live! :)

You just post the link. Going to be amazing for update threads and such:

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1045722147015020545
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7404
  • Likes Given: 72484
« Reply #141 on: 09/29/2018 09:03 pm »
The "Membership" choice is missing (for me, today) from the secondary task bar (Home/Help/Unread Topics/etc.) of the various forum pages.

Is this an accident or an "on purpose"?
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #142 on: 09/29/2018 09:15 pm »
The "Membership" choice is missing (for me, today) from the secondary task bar (Home/Help/Unread Topics/etc.) of the various forum pages.

I assume you mean the "members" tab for the list of members. Yes, we removed access to that from non-admins via a recommendation Mark agreed with.
« Last Edit: 09/29/2018 09:54 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7404
  • Likes Given: 72484
« Reply #143 on: 09/30/2018 03:38 pm »

I assume you mean the "members" tab for the list of members. Yes, we removed access to that from non-admins via a recommendation Mark agreed with.

Copy, "members" tab is what I was referring to.

I have found the member functions useful.  I admit that functionality is not fundamental, though, as a forum member/poster.

I assume that there are overriding concerns?  Privacy? 
« Last Edit: 09/30/2018 03:41 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9100
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #144 on: 10/04/2018 01:19 pm »

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1045722147015020545

Did someone else have problem viewing the embedded tweet on mobile Safari (iPad) using the mobile version of this forum?

Offline Arb

• London
  • Liked: 514
  • Likes Given: 433
« Reply #145 on: 10/05/2018 12:15 pm »
IANAL but the NSF GDPR footer (image below) is almost certainly not compliant as it does not provide an option to opt-out.

Facebook and subsidiaries WhatsApp and Instagram, as well as Google LLC (targeting Android), were immediately sued by Max Schrems's non-profit NOYB just hours after midnight on 25 May 2018, for their use of "forced consent". Schrems asserts that both companies violated Article 7(4) by not presenting opt-ins for data processing consent on an individualized basis, and requiring users to consent to all data processing activities (including those not strictly necessary) or be forbidden from using the services.

Personally I'd want to opt-out of at least Facebook tracking and probably a few others. Failing that I'd happy with an "opt-out of all" button just to be able to get rid of the damn thing. Please.

Offline Arb

• London
« Reply #146 on: 10/05/2018 12:48 pm »

Offline Arb

• London
« Reply #147 on: 10/05/2018 12:54 pm »

That's really cool.

One question. What happens if a tweet is deleted on twitter? Does it also vanish from NSF (that'd be bad) or is the tweet data archived to NSF's servers for safety? Ditto images in tweets.
« Last Edit: 10/05/2018 12:54 pm by Arb »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #148 on: 10/05/2018 12:58 pm »
I'm seeing the occasional "Tweet error" eg https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=46305.msg1862704#msg1862704

It's that rare time people have a string added to the end of the URL. It seems to be very rare, but can be fixed with an edit of the string. So we can live with that.  Fixed that example to show you.

Tweet and delete? Let's see how that looks:

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1048195759261278208

Link dies - as it should. Looks like it kept some record (the test) on the server, so that then.

All fine with me!
« Last Edit: 10/05/2018 01:02 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #149 on: 10/15/2018 08:26 pm »
Is there a way I can get a list of all the updates threads? I'd like to be able to skip discussion now and then and catch up on all the fantastic updates that this forum produces.

As far as I can tell, we don't tag updates threads with anything special, so it doesn't seem like they can be filtered out.

Doing an advanced search for "updates" in the topic subject seems to give me a nice result, but it doesn't put the "New" marker next to topics that have new posts (confirmed) which is really what I'm looking for. Having a checkbox for "topics with new posts" in the advanced search would do it.
« Last Edit: 10/15/2018 08:33 pm by QuantumG »
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #150 on: 10/15/2018 08:29 pm »
Is there a way I can get a list of all the updates threads? I'd like to be able to skip discussing now and then and catch up on all the fantastic updates that this forum produces.

As far as I can tell, we don't tag updates threads with anything special, so it doesn't seem like they can be filtered out.

Hmmm, I was going to say "errr" until you mentioned "tag". We use the tags in L2 for the L2 tags page, but there was no way to take the option (as much as it doesn't show L2 threads) out of the public threads. So if we started tagging public update threads with "UPDATES"............that might work?

Someone check my numbers! ;D
« Last Edit: 10/15/2018 08:30 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #151 on: 10/15/2018 08:47 pm »
This is what I get for the updates tag:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=tags;tagid=1502

and even if it did work ya still wouldn't get the "new".

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #152 on: 10/15/2018 08:51 pm »
I've cleaned those out. We need to add about 10 actual update threads with the tag "Updates" and see if that shows up on a tag menu. Anyone can add tags. I'll do it later if your busy.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #153 on: 10/15/2018 09:03 pm »
What sort of threads do you want to see tagged as Updates?  With mission threads, the non-SpaceX launches don't usually get split into separate discussion and update threads unless something goes wrong, and the SpaceX missions don't get a separate update thread until a couple weeks before the launch unless it's something special like FH Demo (or probably the upcoming Commercial Crew flights).  The early launches of new vehicles coming online might get update threads farther ahead of time.  Launch manifest threads also don't have Updates in the title.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #154 on: 10/15/2018 09:29 pm »
Cleaned out the old update tags and tagged four from SpaceX:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=tags;tagid=8447

Seems to work!

Anyone can add tags, so people can do that. And yes, parameters first, but obvious ones are the update threads for SpaceX. I'll leave it in your good hands Q.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #155 on: 10/15/2018 09:35 pm »
Any chance of getting the "new" gif in those results?

Offline launchwatcher

• Liked: 726
  • Likes Given: 988
« Reply #156 on: 10/16/2018 05:23 am »
The new twitter embeds seem to play havoc with the "new" links from each board index (and probably any other deep link to a specific post within a topic)  - you initially start off looking at the new post, and then a second or so later the embedded tweets in the page above the current viewport render, expand, and push the new content down in one or more awkward jumps.   If I had an option to turn them off I'd use it because it interferes with reading the actual content of the site...

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #157 on: 10/18/2018 04:45 pm »
Ray ID: 46bc7887bbc827d4 • 2018-10-18 16:44:38 UTC
Bad gateway
Paul

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #158 on: 10/18/2018 05:02 pm »
Ray ID: 46bc7887bbc827d4 • 2018-10-18 16:44:38 UTC
Bad gateway

What was that? Forum? For how long? (Can't have been long as it's not obvious on the stats, and no one on Twitter etc. said anything (usually do when the site is down for more than a minute or so).

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #159 on: 10/18/2018 07:58 pm »
Sorry Chris, that was the forum, I'm guessing under a minute.
Paul

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography