Author Topic: CubeSat and NanoSat Technology  (Read 175231 times)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
Re: CubeSat and NanoSat Technology
« Reply #20 on: 08/15/2014 02:17 pm »
From the standpoint of custom phonesat implementations there is a significant software automation-set for phone design with virtual and hardware in the loop simulation.  You can change the frequency, the modulation, the codes, the operation modes (act not just as a client but as a peer to peer or even as a base station), bandwidth, etc.  Modern phones use direct convert digital to and from RF.  Meaning there are no limitations other than a top frequency of the converters used.

This means that new designs using latest components can be rapidly used and designed and built in less than 6 months.

You are suggesting that a cellphone is almost a software defined radio (within the limits of its predetermined frequencies).

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #21 on: 08/16/2014 09:55 am »
History for UK small satellites. A couple of interesting applications for cubesats from 38 minute mark.

1) Attach a cubesat to debris and deploy a sail to add drag and deorbit it. I'm sure NASA would be happy to provide free secondary payload slots for these cubesats.

2) Build a large mirror from lots of small mirrors mounted on cubesats flying information. This is the idea of using constellations to do the job of a large expensive satellite. Doesn't matter if the cheap not so reliable cubesat fails as there is a spare wait in orbit.  Would be interesting to know if this technique could be used to replace something like the Hubble. Last I heard the James Webb was going to cost 8.8B, that can buy and launch a lot of cubesats.

Offline oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 5005
  • Likes Given: 1444
« Reply #22 on: 08/16/2014 02:00 pm »
From the standpoint of custom phonesat implementations there is a significant software automation-set for phone design with virtual and hardware in the loop simulation.  You can change the frequency, the modulation, the codes, the operation modes (act not just as a client but as a peer to peer or even as a base station), bandwidth, etc.  Modern phones use direct convert digital to and from RF.  Meaning there are no limitations other than a top frequency of the converters used.

This means that new designs using latest components can be rapidly used and designed and built in less than 6 months.

You are suggesting that a cellphone is almost a software defined radio (within the limits of its predetermined frequencies).

It is a software defined radio.  They have been since about 2002.  The hardware RF capabilities have increased such that the top freq it is capable of has reached 10GHz to be usable in some European markets.

Edit; P.S. The new hardware dosn't even have a pre-amp or RF out amp anymore.  No real RF circuit tuning dificulties other than careful circuit board line draw policies to limit RF crosstalk which is part of the software package that designs the boards for you.
« Last Edit: 08/16/2014 02:16 pm by oldAtlas_Eguy »

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #23 on: 08/18/2014 10:34 am »
Origami Solar Power arrays. 

http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/1113213424/origami-for-space-solar-power-arrays-081514/

The example in the video above was for 65W cubesat array. Compare this to CAT thruster mission examples below using a 25W array, about 0:30 mark.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/46819252

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #24 on: 08/18/2014 12:24 pm »
Origami Solar Power arrays. 

http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/1113213424/origami-for-space-solar-power-arrays-081514/

The example in the video above was for 65W cubesat array. Compare this to CAT thruster mission examples below using a 25W array, about 0:30 mark.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/46819252

Standard worries about mass apply.  With luck these two will be made for each other.

I wonder if the origami solar array can also act as a radio disk?

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #25 on: 08/20/2014 09:58 am »
This is first of SmallSat conference 2014 videos I've seen, only just be placed on Youtube. Hopefully more will fully.
Please post any you view, along with a short summary plus the video title.

Small Sat 2014: Keynote Steve Jurvetson
Steve Jurvetson is one of the commercial space industry's most successful investors. He is a partner of Draper Fisher Jurvetson,

First part is about SpaceX, followed by a little history of PlanetLabs.
Besides his investments in SpaceX he is also backing some small sat launches, didn't mention any names but I'm guessing companies like RocketLab and Firefly.

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #26 on: 08/20/2014 07:38 pm »

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #27 on: 08/21/2014 10:09 am »
Space Station Live: TechEdSat-4 CubeSat Investigation

Another example of using ISS and Cubesats for testing new technology.

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #28 on: 08/22/2014 09:20 am »
Micro Reentry Capsule 2 (MIRKA2) is a two segment nanosatellit reentry mission.
The cubesat is planned to be launched by the Canadarm2 from the ISS.
An experimenal pulsed plasma thruster (PPT) engine deorbits the system to separation altitude of 125km.
During separation the capsule gets accelerated and descends faster into the atmosphere.
During reentry several detectors measure the ablation behavior of the experimental heat shield.

Launching Sept14 ?.

Offline jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 3987
  • Likes Given: 1684
« Reply #29 on: 08/23/2014 09:47 am »
This is first of SmallSat conference 2014 videos I've seen, only just be placed on Youtube. Hopefully more will fully.
Please post any you view, along with a short summary plus the video title.

Small Sat 2014: Keynote Steve Jurvetson
Steve Jurvetson is one of the commercial space industry's most successful investors. He is a partner of Draper Fisher Jurvetson,

First part is about SpaceX, followed by a little history of PlanetLabs.
Besides his investments in SpaceX he is also backing some small sat launches, didn't mention any names but I'm guessing companies like RocketLab and Firefly.

One the points I best liked about Jurvetson's presentation was his point that having an audacious long-term goal often focuses you on making nearer-term design decisions differently than if you only had short-term goals. For instance, SpaceX's obsession with reusability isn't just about near-term decreased costs for satellite launch, but because of its long-term Mars ambitions.

There's the counter-risk that you'll make bad decisions based on incomplete information about a long-term vision. But I agree with him, that in some cases having that more ambitious long-term goal focuses you in a way that allows you (if you can make it through to product) to leapfrog past your competition. If you're the one company in the world with a highly reusable first stage (that took a few crashes to get perfected), it may be a huge benefit that will take your competitors years to catch up on.

~Jon

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #30 on: 08/24/2014 08:15 am »
Another video on Michigan Engineering's CAT plasma thruster. With 7 kg payload a 6U cubesat can reach Jupiter in 3yrs from C3 for <$10M per cubesat. 
This is why planetary scientists are very interested/excited by the advances in smallsat and cubesat technology.

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818
« Reply #31 on: 08/24/2014 10:01 am »
Another video on Michigan Engineering's CAT plasma thruster. With 7 kg payload a 6U cubesat can reach Jupiter in 3yrs from C3 for <$10M per cubesat. 
This is why planetary scientists are very interested/excited by the advances in smallsat and cubesat technology.

Being from Michigan and having worked on two of the satellites is so cool to think back on. Also odd seeing people I knew featured in these videos.

Also, I know that classroom,  can't think of which one it is off the top of my head but I probably took a class there. So surreal.
« Last Edit: 08/24/2014 10:02 am by mlindner »
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline TrevorMonty

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #33 on: 09/03/2014 08:43 am »
Small satellite formation flying, (28th May article ) plus other interesting space stuff.

http://spirit.as.utexas.edu/~fiso/archivelist.htm

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #34 on: 09/05/2014 12:51 am »
Cyclops Smallsat deployer for ISS. This is due to fly on CRS-4 later this month.

3th Sept 14 article. I couldn't open then Zip file as it is password protected. If somebody knows the password or has a link to video it would be appreciated.
The mp3 file is OK.

Here is paper on the Cyclops plus its first 2 payloads.
http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2941&context=smallsat

Offline grythumn

• Liked: 167
  • Likes Given: 246
« Reply #35 on: 09/08/2014 02:22 am »
Cyclops Smallsat deployer for ISS. This is due to fly on CRS-4 later this month.

3th Sept 14 article. I couldn't open then Zip file as it is password protected. If somebody knows the password or has a link to video it would be appreciated.
The mp3 file is OK.

Here is paper on the Cyclops plus its first 2 payloads.
http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2941&context=smallsat

No password needed here. Try using a newer version of WinZip, WinRar, or 7zip?

-Bob
« Last Edit: 09/09/2014 04:00 am by grythumn »

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #36 on: 09/16/2014 05:53 am »
Thanks Grythum

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #37 on: 10/01/2014 01:48 pm »
Has anyone ever flown a CubeSAT with propulsion?

edit: I mean a propulsion system that actually worked.

« Last Edit: 10/01/2014 07:30 pm by Danderman »

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #38 on: 10/01/2014 02:39 pm »

STRaND-1 did have a Water Alcohol Resistojet Propulsion system and a pulsed plasma thruster, but the satellite didn't work.

http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/strand-1.htm
« Last Edit: 10/01/2014 02:40 pm by Skyrocket »

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #39 on: 10/01/2014 04:07 pm »
Read cyclop deployer articles above. I think one of smallsats its deploying is going to test some thrusters.

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography