Author Topic: SpaceX Infographics  (Read 11016 times)

Offline zlsa

• Digital illustrator.
  • Texas
  • Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 83
SpaceX Infographics
« on: 06/17/2016 02:42 am »
I've been working on a bunch of infographics explaining SpaceX hardware, components, and trajectories. I post all infographics I make at http://zlsa.github.io/infographics/.

My goal with these infographics was to provide an easy link to provide when new fans ask simple questions like "how many engines does Dragon 2 have?" and "what's a hoverslam?"

I've attached a few of them below, but I don't want to update this post every time I make an infographic, so I'll only post the best ones here.

Offline AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
  • Liked: 3628
  • Likes Given: 1950
Re: SpaceX Infographics
« Reply #1 on: 06/17/2016 04:38 am »
Very, very nice!!!

Someone IRL asked me about the landing speed and I googled around and saw <= 2 m/s from a reputable source.  Is 6 m/s the accurate figure?
« Last Edit: 06/17/2016 04:42 am by AC in NC »

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
« Reply #2 on: 06/17/2016 05:38 am »
Love the detailed Dragon Infographic. But that man for scale seems way too small to me. Dragon is not that big, is it?

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #3 on: 06/17/2016 06:21 am »
It's not too wrong, I think.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline mikes

• Norwich, UK
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #4 on: 06/17/2016 06:34 am »
Love the detailed Dragon Infographic. But that man for scale seems way too small to me. Dragon is not that big, is it?
http://www.spacex.com/dragon

Height 7.2m
Diameter 3.7m

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
« Reply #5 on: 06/17/2016 06:40 am »

Even considering perspective, Elon Musks head is the height of the bottom of the hatch. On the infographic the figure for scale is a lot below that.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #6 on: 06/17/2016 06:43 am »
Height 7.2m

Height With Trunk.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline rocx

• NL
  • Liked: 266
  • Likes Given: 144
« Reply #7 on: 06/17/2016 08:10 am »
I hope you are also planning on making an infographic for the booster trajectory of a drone ship landing. Specifically, I would take JCSat or Thaicom 8 as an example, because launches to GTO with droneship landing are quite common now.
Any day with a rocket landing is a fantastic day.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #8 on: 06/17/2016 09:31 am »

Height 7.2m
Diameter 3.7m

Yes, the man is a bit short. Easiest way way to judge the scale: trunk diameter is 12 feet, so the man should be half as tall as the trunk diameter. By this measure, he needs to be about 25% bigger (for a standard 6 foot reference figure. BTW, Google says Musk is 6' 2").

Nice job otherwise!
« Last Edit: 06/17/2016 10:25 am by Kabloona »

Offline Pete

• Cubicle
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 395
« Reply #9 on: 06/17/2016 11:08 am »

Height 7.2m
Diameter 3.7m

Yes, the man is a bit short. Easiest way way to judge the scale: trunk diameter is 12 feet, so the man should be half as tall as the trunk diameter. By this measure, he needs to be about 25% bigger (for a standard 6 foot reference figure. BTW, Google says Musk is 6' 2").

Nice job otherwise!

that height of 7.2m is for Dragon.
The image is of dragon 2

For Dragon 2 the height is 8.1m, but that is *with trunk*

For correct scale, that human figure should be about 1.4 times as tall. (at average of 1.7m)
Yes, Musk is very tall!
« Last Edit: 06/17/2016 11:17 am by Pete »

Offline starsilk

• Denver
  • Liked: 268
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #10 on: 06/17/2016 03:43 pm »
nice! minor typo though: a missing space in the second one, 'KEEPTHEM CLEAN'

Offline GreenShrike

• Liked: 321
  • Likes Given: 682
« Reply #11 on: 06/17/2016 05:20 pm »
One thing I found was the trajectory graphic lacked a notation for fairing sep.

I also find it odd that on the Dragon graphic, the Dracos were on one diagram but the SuperDracos were on another.  Perhaps keep the technical items (thrusters, parachutes, umbilical, etc) on the one graphic, and move the "human-oriented" stuff (door, window) to the human-scale graphic?

Maybe add a note that the trunk is like it's car namesake -- it can contain additional cargo if needed.

And perhaps another, on the scale/transport page, that the nozzle on the second stage is fits inside  interstage, which protects it during launch. Also, I find a lot of people are fascinated by how thin and flimsy the second stage nozzle really is.

Overall, though, very well done. :-)
TriOptimum Corporation            Science
                                      Military /_\ Consumer

Offline Saabstory88

• United States
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 288
« Reply #12 on: 06/17/2016 07:11 pm »
And as we now know for sure, from both F9-25 and F9-26, the Grid Fins deploy as the stage is entering it's flip, directly after stage separation, not later in the sequence as you have shown.

Offline zlsa

• Digital illustrator.
  • Texas
  • Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #13 on: 06/18/2016 05:16 pm »
And as we now know for sure, from both F9-25 and F9-26, the Grid Fins deploy as the stage is entering it's flip, directly after stage separation, not later in the sequence as you have shown.

I've fixed this, thanks!
One thing I found was the trajectory graphic lacked a notation for fairing sep.

The trajectory infographics were for first stage recovery, not the full flight. I didn't want to add clutter.

I messed up and had the wrong scale; it's since been fixed. (I didn't account for the height of the landing legs.)

Updated versions are all at http://zlsa.github.io/infographics/

Offline cuddihy

• Liked: 580
  • Likes Given: 935
« Reply #14 on: 06/18/2016 05:22 pm »
Nice work!

Offline mnelson

• Salt Lake City, Utah
  • Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #15 on: 06/19/2016 05:50 pm »
I've been working on a bunch of infographics explaining SpaceX hardware, components, and trajectories. I post all infographics I make at http://zlsa.github.io/infographics/.

Fabulous! Thank you! I finally understand hoverslam. I will use these the next time I watch a launch/landing with my children.

Visualizing the amount of altitude gained while coasting after MECO was also enlightening.

I would love to see an additional Downrange Propulsive Landing graphic that didn't include boostback.

Offline rickyramjet

• Killeen, TX
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #16 on: 06/19/2016 06:42 pm »
Excellent work, very professional appearance!

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 2506
  • Likes Given: 2211
« Reply #17 on: 06/26/2016 01:59 am »
The figure is fine, the average height of a woman world wide is five foot three inches. No need to assume it is an American man.

Matthew

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
« Reply #18 on: 06/26/2016 12:16 pm »
Great graphics - I can see an info guide to SpaceX book coming out of this. Two things:
- it might be nice, where you call out to an item that is found multiple times, to indicate so in callout. I.E., "Landing Legs (four places)"

- I think a great additional added graphic is a detail of the International Docking Standard system, both active and passive, with both soft lock and hard lock positions. That's going to play a big role in SpaceX's crew missions. Here's a useful link:

http://www.internationaldockingstandard.com
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline stoker5432

• Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #19 on: 06/28/2016 04:24 pm »

Even considering perspective, Elon Musks head is the height of the bottom of the hatch. On the infographic the figure for scale is a lot below that.

It might be that tall considering the extended base from the pictures of the test article that were just released.

Offline te_atl

• Liked: 129
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #20 on: 06/28/2016 07:06 pm »
Aren't the top thruster ports for the Draco's in the image with the man for scale too elongated?   Compare the one with the text call out tag to the picture of Elon in front of the Dragon.    And if they are too elongated, then I think there is too much vertical distance between the top of the thruster cutout and the bottom of the hatch.   That would skew the scale and explain why the hatch appears so high relative to the man figure.

Offline AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
  • Liked: 3628
  • Likes Given: 1950
« Reply #21 on: 06/28/2016 08:38 pm »
Love these graphics.

One nit:  The Grid Fins in the graphic are too elongated.  They are closer to square in the actual grid area and the midpoint of the grid fin square is about where the interstage connects.  Those changes probably cause the connection point to be a bit higher on the interstage.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography