Author Topic: 2017 US Eclipse thread  (Read 33424 times)

Offline Bubbinski

Re: 2017 US Eclipse thread
« Reply #120 on: 08/22/2017 07:18 pm »
A brighter corona with different settings during totality and the crescent Sun afterward
« Last Edit: 08/22/2017 07:20 pm by Bubbinski »
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #121 on: 08/22/2017 07:24 pm »
Totality from Rexburg!

Beautiful! I completely forgot the rights settings and even to bracket my shots, so I missed the chance to capture the solar flares/perturbances. My shots ended up too over-exposed to capture that. Nice job!

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #122 on: 08/22/2017 07:45 pm »
Thank you Lars!

Here's a video I got with my iPad

I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 2092
  • Likes Given: 3200
« Reply #123 on: 08/22/2017 08:00 pm »
Here's what my cell phone was able to capture in Lexington, SC.

I think it gives you a better sense of what the thing really looked like in the sky. Pretty damn small.

Super cool though!
Bring the thunder!

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #124 on: 08/22/2017 09:07 pm »
Try using the Nightcap IOS app. Very useful for eclipses.

I have that but you need a good tripod as well.

Offline PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #125 on: 08/22/2017 09:20 pm »
As it turned out (and not by design or plan), we ended up sitting next to NASA PAO at Madras (Aubrey?)--nice young woman.  I noticed on NASA TV they used her set up to show the eclipse more than any other location (or so it seemed).
This is hand-held and did not distract me at all from the experience--it was really quite fun.

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #126 on: 08/22/2017 09:26 pm »
Totality from Rexburg!

Beautiful! I completely forgot the rights settings and even to bracket my shots, so I missed the chance to capture the solar flares/perturbances. My shots ended up too over-exposed to capture that. Nice job!

Thank you!

Here's a shot of the deep twilight in midday in Rexburg
« Last Edit: 08/22/2017 09:27 pm by Bubbinski »

Offline mmonty

• Liked: 90
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #127 on: 08/22/2017 10:10 pm »
Here are some pictures: (you can spot Mercury in the lower left of the first image)

Are you sure that is Mercury? The 'star' is about 1.5 degrees from the sun (estimating from your image). On a star chart, Mercury is roughly 6 degrees from the Sun (eyeballing it). It might be one of the stars in Leo.
http://skymaponline.net/default.aspx

Offline Lars-J

• California
« Reply #128 on: 08/22/2017 10:37 pm »
Here are some pictures: (you can spot Mercury in the lower left of the first image)

Are you sure that is Mercury? The 'star' is about 1.5 degrees from the sun (estimating from your image). On a star chart, Mercury is roughly 6 degrees from the Sun (eyeballing it). It might be one of the stars in Leo.
http://skymaponline.net/default.aspx

Ah yes, you are probably right. Looks like it was the star Regulus. http://www.nakedeyeplanets.com/usa-eclipse-2017.htm

Offline PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #129 on: 08/22/2017 10:52 pm »

Here's a shot of the deep twilight in midday in Rexburg

Well played.  I thought one of the most impressive sights was being able to see the sun shining on the Earth 30 miles away  N and S of our position (and sorry I didn't get a pic).  Because of that, and the scattering of the smoke, only Venus was prominent.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81685
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #130 on: 08/22/2017 11:08 pm »
Time-lapse of the #TotalEclipse seen over the @ViperDemoTeam at @20FighterWing. Specs: flic.kr/p/XYNAG2 #Eclipse2017 

https://twitter.com/mike_seeley/status/900100012490842113

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81685
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #131 on: 08/22/2017 11:17 pm »
Voila! The #Eclipse2017  shadow from @Space_Station, no words needed // Voilą! L'eclisse vista dalla Stazione Spaziale, non servono parole...

https://twitter.com/astro_paolo/status/899712336830889989

Offline jimvela

• Liked: 900
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #132 on: 08/22/2017 11:31 pm »
Here's an example from me, just as the sun's limb is emerging from behind the eclipsing moon.

Incredible event, my crappy photography skills don't do justice to the scene.
During totality, black sky with starfield.  The scene contains the totality, which is a black moon surrounded by a brilliant white ring and then the extended corona.  The horizons were the most awesome sunset colors, and the temperature had dropped significantly with a cool breeze coming through.

Even though I knew pretty much exactly what to expect, I was completely unprepared for the awesomeness of it. 

All around us on the hillsides of the Medicine Bow National Forest near Esterbrook campground in Wyoming, there were uncontrolled shouts from the thousands of folks that had assembled to view the eclipse.

What an inspiring thing a total eclipse is...

Thank you, Wyoming, for being such a good host to us geeks!

Offline ulm_atms

• Rocket Junky
  • To boldly go where no government has gone before.
  • Liked: 1565
  • Likes Given: 770
« Reply #133 on: 08/23/2017 12:04 am »
I'm from Louisiana but ended up in Princeton, KY which is only a few miles northwest of Hopkinsville.  Ended up about 1/3 mile north of the center line.  Could of not picked better...weather was completely clear with only clouds way off in the distance.  Ended up in a Walmart parking lot.  There were some people but it wasn't bad...never really did run into any bad traffic.  And that Walmart...let me tell you...they deserve an award.  They were so awesome!  They actually turned off all of there outside lighting so none of it would come on during totality.  They also had a lot of leftover solar glasses from some giveaways and about 30 min before totality, they were out there passing them out to people that did not have glasses for free.  I did not have any glasses but I was using my welding mask.  It was a "auto dimming" one however and eventually there was not enough light to trigger it at around 90%.  That's when I was so thankful for the awesome Walmart staff with the glasses.  Just have to give them a shout out on here!!

And about the eclipse??

All I can say is...WOW!!!  This was a bucket list item and the drive was sooooo worth it. (8 1/2 hours without stops).  I'm a huge astronomy buff and have always wanted to see one but there have been none that I could get to since I have been alive.  This date had been circled on my calendar for...I think decades now  ;D

Now, I have a 10" SN reflector and a 120mm doublet refractor with both a mylar and H-A solar filter but I made the decision to leave it all at home.  Something just told me to leave it all and take the entire 2 minutes and 30 seconds to soak up everything instead of messing with all the equipment.  And you know what...that was a great decision.  I saw so many people looking down and messing with all their equipment that they barely looked up at the beauty of it.

The darkness slowly creeped up till about 1 minute before and then day turned to night quickly, the temperature felt like it dropped 20 degrees, and something I wasn't expecting, the wind picked up some.  As I looked up, I noticed that I could see stars as my eyes adjusted.  But way off in the distance on the horizon, it was twilight.  There were cumulus clouds west and north of us (way off in the distance..like 50+ miles as you could see the tops but not the bottoms) and you could see when the shadow enveloped them in the west but then while it was still dark where I was all the clouds lit back up.  That part was really cool.

I took a few cell phone shots for about 10-15 seconds into it and then I just put the phone down and took it all in.  Since this was my first, I wanted to soak it all up...not fiddle with telescopes/cameras.  It was a good decision.

Now on Apr 8, 2024...my photography skills will be used  ;)

This is one of my few cell phone pictures.  My camera wanted to use flash in the middle of the day though so i had to turn it off. LOL
« Last Edit: 08/23/2017 12:10 am by ulm_atms »

Offline mmonty

• Liked: 90
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #134 on: 08/23/2017 01:03 am »
Here's a composite of seven photos I took with my Nikon D5600 with a 300 mm lens from Chesterfield, MO, USA (just outside of St. Louis). The first six are through a solar filter and the last is without the filter.  I centered, cropped, and stitched them together in Matlab. 

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #135 on: 08/23/2017 06:17 am »
Space Station Transiting 2017 ECLIPSE, My Brain Stopped Working - Smarter Every Day 175

SmarterEveryDay
Published on Aug 22, 2017

Destin and friends set up on a spot where they've calculated that they'll be able to observe the ISS transiting the sun during the 2017 Eclipse.

Pictures from the transit and eclipse can be found/prints purchased at http://photos.tmahlmann.com/
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline mn

• United States
  • Liked: 872
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #136 on: 08/23/2017 02:43 pm »
Copying from other thread

ISS passing in front of the sun during the eclipse

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/interactive/2017/08/us/eclipse-photos/media/23.jpg

From here: http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2017/08/us/eclipse-photos/index.html
(3rd picture down).

Edit: attaching image, in case it's removed from the source at some point in the future.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #137 on: 08/23/2017 03:03 pm »
Here is the tale of my experiences in Totality.  We went to a friend's parents home in central Georgia.  We hoped from there, we could determine the best place to go based on weather forecasts.  We went to Anderson, South Carolina which called for mostly sunny. There we found a park that had an event that was very carnival like.  It was next to a huge lake.  As the eclipse began, we could see clouds begin to move in.  I managed to get one good shot of the moon starting to move in.  Then the clouds covered it.  We saw all the boats on the lake move off to follow the sun. The clouds were literally stopping just at the shore of the lake.  So I broke down my tripod and tossed it in the back of our van and followed more cars west to an open field under clear skies.  We only had to go about 5 miles, driving 70 MPH on back roads.  We made ii with about 5 minutes to spare.  I didn't have time to set up again, so we just stood there in the middle of a farm field with the same people who were next to us at the lake. 

When the tiny crescent of the sun began to shrink, you could here everyone shouting that it was coming, the excitement mounted.  The the sun disappeared in your glasses and you took them off, and then, BOOM, the corona appeared.  Venus popped out and Jupiter.  Confused crickets began chirping, birds flew around confused.  We were surrounded by the glow of the 360 degree sunset.  And everyone was cheering, strangers were hugging.  Kids and adults were screaming with joy.  We had taken a risk to hit the road and chase it and it paid off.  Then the diamond ring appeared and everyone applauded.  We looked behind us to the direction of the park and saw cars lined up beside the road.  People who had followed us.  Every one was cheering.  Then we got stuck in traffic as everyone left. 

I have been in 3 previous partials, but the difference is really night and day.  NOTHING compares.  You MUST experience this once in your life before you die!!

Below is my one photo I got before the clouds and road trip.

Offline jgoldader

• Liked: 322
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #138 on: 08/23/2017 03:35 pm »

If you are really into the tech stuff, there are a few programs that will run your camera automatically during eclipses.  I used Solar Eclipse Maestro on my Macbook and can give it a big thumbs-up. For Windows, there's Eclipse Orchestrator.  I was using a telescope on a tracking equatorial mount, so had to do some minor corrections for poor polar alignment every 10 minutes or so, and make sure the focus was good.  But the software was in charge during totality, all 35 frames with varying exposures came out perfectly.

The software used ephemerides and a lunar shape model to time everything to 0.1 second or so.  I had to tell it my location (thank you, GPS!).  It even predicts Bailey's Beads using the shape model, and darned if my pictures don't look identical to the predictions.  It's a truly impressive piece of work, and I hope it's updated for 2024.
« Last Edit: 08/23/2017 03:38 pm by jgoldader »
Recovering astronomer

Offline Lars-J

• California
« Reply #139 on: 08/23/2017 05:08 pm »

If you are really into the tech stuff, there are a few programs that will run your camera automatically during eclipses.  I used Solar Eclipse Maestro on my Macbook and can give it a big thumbs-up. For Windows, there's Eclipse Orchestrator.  I was using a telescope on a tracking equatorial mount, so had to do some minor corrections for poor polar alignment every 10 minutes or so, and make sure the focus was good.  But the software was in charge during totality, all 35 frames with varying exposures came out perfectly.

The software used ephemerides and a lunar shape model to time everything to 0.1 second or so.  I had to tell it my location (thank you, GPS!).  It even predicts Bailey's Beads using the shape model, and darned if my pictures don't look identical to the predictions.  It's a truly impressive piece of work, and I hope it's updated for 2024.

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out for my next eclipse.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography