Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 375397 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #760 on: 10/06/2016 04:00 pm »
That is *usually* your browser on a redirect issue like that. Happened to me once last year and it was the browser.

The big trick is if something goes wrong was the site, hundreds of people would be noting it. I'll ask Mark if such an issue is reported by other people.

Remember, it may "seem" like it's only happening on this site, but the issue may be only activated by this type of PHP style site, or something like that. I'd try a different browser, as one trick or have a quick scan clean, etc.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline WBailey

• Planet Earth
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #761 on: 10/06/2016 04:02 pm »
That is *usually* your browser on a redirect issue like that. Happened to me once last year and it was the browser.

The big trick is if something goes wrong was the site, hundreds of people would be noting it. I'll ask Mark if such an issue is reported by other people.

Remember, it may "seem" like it's only happening on this site, but the issue may be only activated by this type of PHP style site, or something like that. I'd try a different browser, as one trick or have a quick scan clean, etc.

I'm running wireshark now on a round robin file, I'll let you know if I get a packet capture of it happening again.

Edit: Hope you don't mind me viewing NSF even more than usual trying to see it again  :)
« Last Edit: 10/06/2016 04:04 pm by WBailey »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #762 on: 10/06/2016 04:29 pm »

Edit: Hope you don't mind me viewing NSF even more than usual trying to see it again  :)

Fire away sir. Fire away! ;D
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline WBailey

• Planet Earth
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #763 on: 10/07/2016 02:20 pm »
I succeeded at getting a packet capture today, but I forgot to set it up so I could decrypt TLS, and it looks like some of the interesting parts were encrypted. Since it has happened 3 times over 2 days I'm confident I'll get it again. I'll send you the capture I did get after I redact all the extraneous info in it.

Offline SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #764 on: 10/20/2016 02:32 pm »
In the last few days, the AdChoices banner at the bottom of the page has been exceedingly aggressive about trying to load active media (videos with sound), which I have blocked with a browser script because I work in an office where computers randomly blasting sound is unacceptable.  This also frequently causes my mobile chrome browser to crash.  (Also seeing ads for Ukrainian mail order brides in that space as well  :o )

Is there any way these can be toned down, or are you completely at the mercy of whatever the ad provider wants to put on there?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #765 on: 10/20/2016 07:45 pm »
In the last few days, the AdChoices banner at the bottom of the page has been exceedingly aggressive about trying to load active media (videos with sound), which I have blocked with a browser script because I work in an office where computers randomly blasting sound is unacceptable.  This also frequently causes my mobile chrome browser to crash.  (Also seeing ads for Ukrainian mail order brides in that space as well  :o )

Is there any way these can be toned down, or are you completely at the mercy of whatever the ad provider wants to put on there?

Well the bottom line is we want rid of those ads anyway. They are rather random, localized and set "for you" - such as if I was browsing for a new portable harddrive, it's likely that ad will be PC World or something later in the day. Anyway, we would rather use that area for static or specific ads like Amazon space books, etc.

For the meantime, you should be able to stop any non-static ads, as they will have an X in the top right corner to stop them ever displaying for you again.

It should be very rare, but the one time I saw a rather annoying ad, that's what I did. But yeah, the idea is for something better in that placement.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #766 on: 10/28/2016 08:16 pm »
Apologies if you found the site sluggish over the last 10 mins. Noticed it as I was uploading something and the site seemed like it was walking in deep mud. Site was still up and people entering, but noticed a bit of a surge on the stats when the site sorted itself out, so I think it wasn't just me struggling.

Probably some handover at the host in Texas, but it automatically notices service issues and likely "turned it off and on again" ;)

Offline rsdavis9

« Reply #767 on: 11/11/2016 03:06 pm »
When I receive notification emails on android (7.0) the hyper links to the forum post are not clickable. When I receive the same email on thunderbird on the desktop they are clickable.

Has anybody else noticed this problem?
Any fixes?

BTW I use the default email client on android.

With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #768 on: 11/27/2016 11:35 pm »
We're aware of a "too many redirects" error on one news site article. No idea why it's just that one, but Mark will fix it. Nothing else is affected.

Offline rsdavis9

« Reply #769 on: 11/28/2016 12:25 am »
The problem I'm talking about is the hyperlink to the forum is text instead of clickable
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #770 on: 11/28/2016 01:06 am »
The problem I'm talking about is the hyperlink to the forum is text instead of clickable

Sorry, I was speaking about something completely different. Per your question, that's not actually the site. That's your e-mail client. The site is sending the links out correctly/there's nothing we can change at this end (at least not without potentially impacting on the 101 other clients).

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #771 on: 11/28/2016 01:07 pm »
We're aware of a "too many redirects" error on one news site article. No idea why it's just that one, but Mark will fix it. Nothing else is affected.

Was a stupid cache error on that one article. Mark's given it a slap and all is well with the world ;D

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #772 on: 11/28/2016 01:53 pm »
Could the news be updated to recognize the really old style news article URLs like this one http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/content/?cid=4918 from the STS-116 pad flow updates thread? Currently they generate "nothing found" pages so it would be great if they would redirect to the actual article.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #773 on: 11/28/2016 01:54 pm »
Yeah, I'd love that, Dave. It's on our list for when we go to the next version. It's the problem of a 11+ year old site and several versions of CMS, but a redirect would solve some of that. Some of the older articles have broken images, however. Anyway, yeah.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #774 on: 11/29/2016 12:07 am »
Seems Wordpress CMS did a big update over the weekend, which caused the above issue. There is an intermittent display issue with the front of site page, just the front page, which we're aware of and will resolve.

Articles display fine, forum etc is on a different system, and unaffected. So just a visual issue with one page and we'll go through every element with Mark. Just noting in case people notice it and don't think we're aware.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #775 on: 11/29/2016 10:32 am »
We're just working on this all - and other things - now, so ignore any issues with the news site for the next minutes. Will note when all is complete. Everything else is on a different system (such as the forum, L2 and so on, so wasn't - and won't be - any impact to that).

---

And all back to normal.

--

Well as far as most people will tell. You internet experts who visit here noticed a few more i's and t's that need sorting out. Mark is on those and will all done by today. Site functions fine is the main take home of this current status :)

---

And that's fixed now too (confirmed externally).
« Last Edit: 11/29/2016 02:33 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #776 on: 11/29/2016 05:10 pm »
More work ongoing. Don't be freaked if the front page looks a bit odd. Mark is doing things. :)

--

Was only for a few mins, but the upshot is the latest article went on fine, so that looks all good. Will give it 24 hours and another article to be sure.

---

And the next article also went on without issue, so we're all good now :)
« Last Edit: 11/30/2016 02:47 pm by Chris Bergin »

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #777 on: 12/09/2016 07:11 pm »
I've found a rather subtle quirk with the forum and it involves the time stamps of older posts. It seems like they're off by around 20 minutes or so. This post in the STS-116 Launch/FD1 updates thread demonstrates it nicely: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=5634.msg91187#msg91187

Originally it was time stamped at hh:30:30 but now it is time stamped at hh:50:30. So something has knocked the time stamping of old posts out of whack.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
« Reply #778 on: 02/17/2017 01:11 am »
I searched this forum for "kill file" and "killfile" and a couple combinations of "block user" before posting ... Is there a way for me to block a single user, so I don't see his posts?  I'd like to not see the posts from a user whose posts are particularly annoying and vacant chatter.

I vaguely remember this being discussed here before by Number One, but the above search didn't find it.
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #779 on: 02/17/2017 08:13 am »
Go to your user profile -> Modify Profile tab -> Buddies/Ignore list

You will still see that the person made a post, but it will be collapsed/hidden to you, although you can still expand it.
« Last Edit: 02/17/2017 08:13 am by ugordan »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography