Author Topic: 3D Printer uses Space Related  (Read 319195 times)

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1062
  • Likes Given: 32
Re: 3D Printer uses Space Related
« Reply #160 on: 06/03/2014 12:10 am »
Seems that recent LLNL 3D printing work on rocket engine chambers/nozzles is interesting, and the throwaway comment about improving the material properties via EBM rather DMLS is key. Ventions LLC seems to be the major outside contractor on the engine design, with assorted liquid propellant engines using various levels of 3D printed parts (chamber, nozzle, turbine pumps). There seem to be some hotshots at Ventions as well.

I hadn't heard of LLNL's new (Nanosat launch vehicle eXperimental One) NX-01 microsat launcher design though. Partially reusable TSTO, reusable VTVL first stage, expendable second stage. Shades of LLNL's Bricklifter, though Mockingbird was a reusable SSTO...

Offline nec207

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #161 on: 06/03/2014 02:58 am »
It would be interesting to see how 3D-printed would bring space cost down.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #162 on: 06/13/2014 02:43 am »
Made In Space Just put a news release out.

http://www.madeinspace.us/3d-printer-headed-space-station-ready-launch

Due to the project meeting all milestones with minimal risk, the 3D Printer has been moved up to a launch on SpaceX CRS-4 in August 2014 instead of the originally slated SpaceX CRS-5.

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #163 on: 06/13/2014 03:44 am »
Nice to see a space project actually launching ahead of schedule.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4204
« Reply #164 on: 06/15/2014 05:20 am »
Swedish 3D metal printer maker Arcam  (electron beam melting) has added Inconel 718 to its aerospace alloy capabilities.

Link....
« Last Edit: 06/15/2014 05:21 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #165 on: 06/17/2014 05:36 pm »
LM gets it in a big way    http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/features/2014/additive-manufacturing.html

http://3dprintingindustry.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bda8170a38ff902659605b718&id=c48f0111df&e=6c74a82be4

“We’re deploying our design engineers to the factory floor, working side by side with our manufacturing engineers, where they learn what additive manufacturing is really capable of. Our experience has been engineers depend heavily on the left side of their brains, the hemisphere that favors the logical, sequential and analytical. 3D models and designs engage the right side, the hemisphere responsible for more creative and holistic thinking. When our engineers engage both their left and right brain, we are realizing geometrically complex designs, features and parts never seen before.” 

http://www.youtube.com/embed/KyWuHcvyqD0?rel=0&autoplay=1&wmode=opaque

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #166 on: 06/17/2014 07:11 pm »
Airbus also came out with a decent video worthy of a post.
They added another new term Additive layer.

Airbus 3D Printing technology transformation underway

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #167 on: 06/18/2014 03:25 am »
Thanks guys, just watched both videos. The LM was an eye opener, printing and building a drone with robots.

Airbus were talking of printing 30t a month of metal parts in next few years. That requires quite few printers.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 7865
  • Likes Given: 7339
« Reply #168 on: 06/18/2014 09:06 pm »
3-D Printing at NASA's Armstrong Flight Research Center

NASA student intern Victor Ruiz demonstrates the uses and capabilities of the recently acquired high-resolution 3-D printer at NASA's Armstrong Flight Research Center. In the NASA Armstrong Subscale Aircraft Research Lab, the 3-D printer provides an efficient means for creating quality, low cost proof-of-concept parts for small-scale aircraft. Most parts are created in less than an hour, although that varies by complexity. Once the plastic prototypes are verified to meet the correct part specifications, the final product is made in NASA Armstrong machine shop.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 7865
  • Likes Given: 7339
« Reply #169 on: 06/18/2014 09:07 pm »
by: RealNASA

NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center and a commercial company called Made in Space are working together to send a 3-D printer to the International Space Station, the first step toward realizing a suite of capabilities for in-space manufacturing.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline wizzzard3

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #170 on: 06/27/2014 03:13 am »
http://3dprint.com/7355/3d-printed-engine/

Aerojet Rocketdyne 3D Prints An Entire Engine in Just Three Parts

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #171 on: 06/27/2014 04:15 am »
Does anybody know if this engine is just a proof of concept for 3D printing or has been built for a specific use.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
« Reply #172 on: 06/27/2014 08:14 am »

Another link...
DM

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2886
« Reply #173 on: 06/27/2014 09:41 am »
Does anybody know if this engine is just a proof of concept for 3D printing or has been built for a specific use.

With the massive flange connecting components it looks much like proof of concept.

BTW isn't the SuperDraco a complete engine in one piece, including the regen nozzle?

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #174 on: 06/27/2014 12:17 pm »

With the massive flange connecting components it looks much like proof of concept.

BTW isn't the SuperDraco a complete engine in one piece, including the regen nozzle?

No

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #175 on: 06/27/2014 12:26 pm »

Wow, a very impressive article with lots of info of the directions within Aerojet Rocketdyne.

This week we got word that an even more impressive feat has taken place around the additive manufacturing space. Aerojet Rocketdyne, a GenCorp company, announced that they had manufactured and successfully tested an engine which had been entirely 3D printed.

"A typical Bantan engine consists of dozens of different part, and will take approximately a year to design and manufacture. Using additive manufacturing, Aerojet Rocketdyne printed the engine in just three parts which included the throat and nozzle section, the injector and dome assembly, and the combustion chamber. The entire design and manufacturing process only took a couple of months and saved the company a staggering 65% of their usual manufacturing costs."

Edited their article sigh
« Last Edit: 06/27/2014 06:40 pm by Prober »

Offline RanulfC

• Heus tu Omnis! Vigilate Hoc!
  • Liked: 900
« Reply #176 on: 06/27/2014 01:50 pm »
"Bantam" engines just FYI not "Banton" engine.

Edit: Several "conflicts" in both articles. The name in the first and the second calls the Bantam a LOX/Kero engine when the pictures clearly show signs saying the engine is a LOX/GH2 engine

Randy
« Last Edit: 06/27/2014 02:21 pm by RanulfC »
From The Amazing Catstronaut on the Black Arrow LV:
British physics, old chap. It's undignified to belch flames and effluvia all over the pad, what. A true gentlemen's orbital conveyance lifts itself into the air unostentatiously, with the minimum of spectacle and a modicum of grace. Not like our American cousins' launch vehicles, eh?

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
« Reply #177 on: 06/27/2014 02:17 pm »
Better article

Link....
DM

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #178 on: 06/27/2014 06:43 pm »

Edit: Several "conflicts" in both articles. The name in the first and the second calls the Bantam a LOX/Kero engine when the pictures clearly show signs saying the engine is a LOX/GH2 engine

Randy

didn't put that screen grab out as I believed it was a test for the RL-10.   These article writers  ::)

Offline RanulfC

• Heus tu Omnis! Vigilate Hoc!
  • Liked: 900
« Reply #179 on: 06/27/2014 06:52 pm »

Randy

didn't put that screen grab out as I believed it was a test for the RL-10.   These article writers  ::)

Hey they take what's given in the press kit and expect it to be right :)

Actually the sign on the wall on the other side of the engine is what says: "NASA GRC Rocketdyne Additive Manufactured Injector Testing: LOX-GH2" but the second article says the whole ENGINE that was tested was LOX/Kerosene. (Then goes on to point out that the whole Bantam engine familiy has been run on many fuels. I'm assuming they had different injectors for each :) ) In any case the exahust in both pictures looks to be hydrogen and oxygen flames...

Come on! This is the NSF boards, who's gonna do the spectroanylysis then? :)

Randy
From The Amazing Catstronaut on the Black Arrow LV:
British physics, old chap. It's undignified to belch flames and effluvia all over the pad, what. A true gentlemen's orbital conveyance lifts itself into the air unostentatiously, with the minimum of spectacle and a modicum of grace. Not like our American cousins' launch vehicles, eh?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography