Author Topic: 3D Printer uses Space Related  (Read 319198 times)

Online TrevorMonty

Re: 3D Printer uses Space Related
« Reply #100 on: 03/25/2014 11:11 pm »
I've now seen 2 examples were parts count can be reduced by 100:1 on rocket engine using 3D printing. The injector NASA tested last year and article on F-1B. Between computer engine management systems, 3D printing and other modern manufacturing methods eg CNC, a 10:1 parts reduction count is not unrealistic for the F-1B engine. Besides less parts the manufacturing costs of the parts should also be cheaper than more traditional methods. 3D printing is still new so costs of creating a part should fall considerably in the next few years as 3D printers and their consumables drop in price.

Offline cordwainer

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #101 on: 03/26/2014 12:26 am »
I want to see robots do it with dirt and rocks on Earth and /then/ we talk about similar stuff on the Moon.
Makes me wonder if such a technique might be useful for cleanup and search and rescue of landslides and slurry floods like the ones that occurred in Arlington, WA or during the East Japan Great Earthquake. It seems to me that the eventual use of 3D printing technologies in space will happen for the very fact that they have to much utility here on Earth for them not to be developed further in the future. Why are you always such a downer, Robotbeat. These are advanced forums for discussing future applications if you want to make grounded criticisms that's fine but sometimes you come off a bit snide. 

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25172
  • Likes Given: 12102
« Reply #102 on: 03/26/2014 01:39 am »
I want to see robots do it with dirt and rocks on Earth and /then/ we talk about similar stuff on the Moon.
Makes me wonder if such a technique might be useful for cleanup and search and rescue of landslides and slurry floods like the ones that occurred in Arlington, WA or during the East Japan Great Earthquake. It seems to me that the eventual use of 3D printing technologies in space will happen for the very fact that they have to much utility here on Earth for them not to be developed further in the future. Why are you always such a downer, Robotbeat. These are advanced forums for discussing future applications if you want to make grounded criticisms that's fine but sometimes you come off a bit snide.
Sorry if I come off as a downer, just being skeptical. :) I certainly have my unrealistic dreamer phases, too.

But I was serious about the "try it on Earth, first" thing. I follow groups like these guys: 

...who are attempting to do it with people. This stuff is hard.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline cordwainer

« Reply #103 on: 03/26/2014 03:10 am »
Awesome thread Robotbeat, very browntech. I have always thought there should be more investment in stuff like that it is one of the areas where a technologically and industrially experienced country like the U.S. could really create new markets. We have a tendency to invent all the really cool stuff and then either sell it or license the production to someone overseas and then make our money off of spare parts or licensing. Browntech would be cheap enough and the demand great enough that we could keep the processes largely local in the U.S. and still make strong sales both here and overseas, but at the same time make items that people could repair themselves. As with anything people will reverse engineer stuff but if you make a good product at the correct price-point then people will have less reason to do so. I know its a primarily charitable idea for investment from charities, governments and NGO's but I see a lot of potential for private investment as well.

Offline go4mars

• Earth
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 3463
« Reply #104 on: 03/26/2014 11:50 am »

Peter Thiel has been vocal in advocating the philosophy;
Developing new technology (doing more with less - his definition) is more charitable than "charity", and benefits welfare more than welfare

"Developed nations" is a misnomer.  We haven't arrived. 

This thread has reinforced some of my views on technocracy.

Prober:  Thanks for all of the stunning examples you've brought to this thread to highlight.  Please keep them coming!  I believe their future impact on spacefaring is underappreciated, and these examples help us to imaginate.
« Last Edit: 03/26/2014 11:53 am by go4mars »
Elasmotherium; hurlyburly Doggerlandic Jentilak steeds insouciantly gallop in viridescent taiga, eluding deluginal Burckle's abyssal excavation.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #105 on: 03/26/2014 12:22 pm »
Looks like a new model printer with new material
=====================================

German 3D Printer manufacturer Voxeljet modernizes a 5,000 year old wax investment casting process using 3D printing

http://tinyurl.com/knj44k2

"Investment casting, or lost-wax casting, is a 5000 year old process that has largely remained unchanged since it was first used by the ancient Chinese. The emergence of 3D printing technologies through the 1990’s made an impact on the process, but now 3D printing  — renowned for its detail and precision — is proving more viable for investment casting applications than ever before"

"by producing perfect investable patterns quickly, precisely and cost-effectively. 3D printed PMMA models can completely replace wax models,  the most important part: the production of the plastic models using 3D printing is very simple, accurate and fast. No tooling is required, as the digital printing process is based on the CAD data for the component;"

"The material used is PMMA, which already softens at 73°C and burns without residue at temperatures over 700° C. "

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #106 on: 03/26/2014 12:29 pm »
This F1B engine may yet find a home in a commercial LV if it is not to expensive. What would twin engine LV be capable of to LEO?

Double Zenit's Payload?

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #107 on: 03/26/2014 12:40 pm »
People have been using 3d printing for investment casting for a while. Armadillo Aerospace used it for the ring thruster structure member on one of their last Rockets, done by a local Minnesotan company.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline wizzzard3

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #108 on: 03/26/2014 04:21 pm »
http://3dprint.com/1786/new-factum-high-speed-sintering-3d-printer-prints-objects-in-under-a-second/

if they cloud make it roll to roll process  and combine it with this

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #109 on: 03/27/2014 12:59 am »
http://3dprint.com/1786/new-factum-high-speed-sintering-3d-printer-prints-objects-in-under-a-second/

Great find Wizzard and a construction technology that is only viable with 3D printers.
I've only considered 3D printing for creating solid rocket engine parts but this opens up a whole new area of space related uses. Here are few ideas.

Building the lunar bases. Use this to build a very strong ultra light structure over which is placed sintered regiloth blocks for radiation and meteorite  protection. The light weight means only small amounts of plastic or metal needs to be transported to moon to construct large structures. Creating structures on site using 3D printers means designs can be changed to suit location and shipping volume is small.

Creating ultralight weight LV, I can see this being done before aircraft.

Creating ultralight space structures.Technology may even be able to be used for construction of solar panels. Last article I found quoted 250W per Kg for solar panels, if this technology could increase this to 2.5KW/Kg SSPs might start to become viable.
« Last Edit: 03/27/2014 01:02 am by TrevorMonty »

Offline cordwainer

« Reply #110 on: 03/27/2014 02:52 am »
US Department of Energy’s Mission to 3D Print New Metal Alloys

http://tinyurl.com/mzseba5

"Rare-earth elements are finite and, yet, we depend on them for some of our most essential technologies, such as those that involve X-Rays, lasers and magnets. In order to head off the inevitable shortage of rare earth metals, the Critical Materials Institute at the US Department of Energy’s Ames Laboratory is hoping to synthesize new ones with 3D metal printing."
Could this be used to recycle current supplies of rare earths or is that what they mean by "synthesize"?

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #111 on: 03/28/2014 02:00 pm »
good find seems this new tech is a very hot topic

"Instead of using an extruder like many polymer based 3d printers do to slowly melt the plastic into a layer that is placed methodically in a given pattern, or using a laser to sinter metals as they are deposited, FACTUM uses a sweeping heat lamp to sinter larger areas of the material at a lower temperature. The ironic part is that the lamp applies heat to the material 10,000 times longer than a laser does, yet the print process is exponentially faster."

=====================================================
Additive Manufacturing with HSS could replace Injection Moulding and That’s a Factum
http://tinyurl.com/mcozdmd

" Unilever, a global multi-brand distributor, got involved. At the opposite end of the spectrum is BAE (aerospace) and Cobham Antenna Systems (space telecommunication), "

"With HSS, we predict for a substantial range of products it will always be cheaper than injection moulding, which won’t be able to compete on cost in these cases. We think this is a very profound first for additive manufacturing.”

« Last Edit: 11/25/2014 09:09 pm by Prober »

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #112 on: 03/28/2014 02:18 pm »
US Department of Energy’s Mission to 3D Print New Metal Alloys

http://tinyurl.com/mzseba5

"Rare-earth elements are finite and, yet, we depend on them for some of our most essential technologies, such as those that involve X-Rays, lasers and magnets. In order to head off the inevitable shortage of rare earth metals, the Critical Materials Institute at the US Department of Energy’s Ames Laboratory is hoping to synthesize new ones with 3D metal printing."
Could this be used to recycle current supplies of rare earths or is that what they mean by "synthesize"?

think they could recycle materials if they could get them back to a powder form......Will have to review the material.

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #113 on: 03/28/2014 02:32 pm »
Most of the DIY and driving force for 3D Printers comes out of the Reprap "open source" http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRap

New material announcements.  Not bad new materials for the Home user 3D Printer less than 500$

========================================================

Arevo Labs want to See Makers 3D Printing with Carbon Fiber and Carbon Nanotubes
http://tinyurl.com/jw9rxv6

"the company has produced carbon fiber and carbon nanotube materials for the purposes of composite reinforcement 3D printing. Carbon nanotubes are hollow tubes made up of graphene, one atom thick layers of carbon. These nanotubes, which are stronger than steel, can be used to reinforce objects"

“We are excited about enabling 3D printed Ultra Strong Polymer Parts for the first time. OEMs in the aerospace and defense industries, in particular, can now use lighter and stronger production parts not possible to manufacture using conventional methods until now.”

« Last Edit: 03/28/2014 10:24 pm by Prober »

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #114 on: 03/28/2014 10:23 pm »
World's Largest 3D Printed Titanium Aircraft Part On Display In China
http://www.3dprinterworld.com/article/worlds-largest-3d-printed-titanium-aircraft-part-display-china

"The world's largest 3D printed titanium aircraft part was displayed at the 16th China International High-tech Expo earlier this year. The part was built on a Laser Engineered Net Shaping (LENS) 3D printer and is a critical component for the J-20 or J-31 Chinese stealth fighter. The company behind the creation of the hi-tech jet part is AVIC Laser, formed in part by Professor Huaming Wang, creator of the mammoth 3D LENS printer used to build the part."

« Last Edit: 11/25/2014 09:10 pm by Prober »

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #115 on: 03/28/2014 10:36 pm »
Mammoth 3D Laser Printer Developed In China
http://www.3dprinterworld.com/article/mammoth-3d-laser-printer-developed-china

"The build area for Wang's LENS printer is pretty impressive. The exact measurements have not been publicly released but the team has displayed aircraft parts up to thirteen feet long that were built on the printer. As if the sheer size of the printer weren't impressive enough, the 3D printed parts can cost up to 90% less to produce than traditionally manufactured parts. "This new 3D printing method is an efficient tool to help improve manufacturing levels and, as such, can play a major role in upgrading China's high-end industries." Wang said."

« Last Edit: 03/28/2014 10:43 pm by Prober »

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #116 on: 03/29/2014 02:39 am »
Clearly the titanium piece was extensively machined. It's near-net-shape, not 3d printing.

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #117 on: 03/29/2014 01:31 pm »
Clearly the titanium piece was extensively machined. It's near-net-shape, not 3d printing.

You believe they hyped the story a bit?    It might be possible as no video was given.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7583
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #118 on: 03/29/2014 02:58 pm »

You believe they hyped the story a bit?    It might be possible as no video was given.

I suspect there's also a question about how one defines "large." Lockheed Martin has made an experimental base plate for Orion using the same technology. Somebody could compare the dimensions of this to the Orion base.

There's a lot of stuff that goes into making the technology useful. 3D printers of all kinds tend to be slow. This thing might simply be a stunt, and they don't intend to make it this way at all because it might take too long to fabricate.

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #119 on: 03/29/2014 08:06 pm »
One articles from a link Prober submitted was for printer that can create alloys by having 4 hops with  different metal powders. They using to experiment with different metal combinations, this quick way to create a new alloy.

The other possibility is to create an item with a mixture of alloys in it. Eg build steel item already chrome or even stainless steel plated.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography