Author Topic: John Young has passed away  (Read 23374 times)

Offline Endeavour126

• Italy
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: John Young has passed away
« Reply #40 on: 01/06/2018 09:22 pm »
How many Group 2 astronauts are still with us?

Four of them. Borman, Lovell, McDivitt and Stafford.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8802
  • Likes Given: 7821
« Reply #41 on: 01/06/2018 09:38 pm »
My deepest respect for John and his family during this time.  My favorite Shuttle astronaut.

NASA Remembers Astronaut John Young, Moonwalker and First Shuttle Commander

NASA Video
Published on Jan 6, 2018

Astronaut John Young, who walked on the Moon during Apollo 16 and commanded the first space shuttle mission, has passed away at the age of 87.

After earning an engineering degree from Georgia Tech and flying planes for the Navy, Young began his impressive career at NASA in 1962, when he was selected from among hundreds of young pilots to join NASA's second astronaut class, known as the "New Nine." Young first flew in space on the first manned Gemini flight, Gemini 3 in March 1965. He later commanded the Gemini 10 mission in July 1966, served as command module pilot on Apollo 10 in 1969, and landed on the Moon as commander of Apollo 16 in April 1972. He went on to command the first Space Shuttle flight in 1981, and also commanded the STS-9 shuttle mission in 1983.

He is the only person to go into space as part of the Gemini, Apollo and space shuttle programs and was the first to fly into space six times -- or seven times, when counting his liftoff from the Moon during Apollo 16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLe6NCi4nSU?t=001

« Last Edit: 01/06/2018 09:59 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Quindar

• Upper California
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #42 on: 01/06/2018 09:58 pm »
Captian, My Captian!

RIP Sir~
Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...

Offline ejb749

« Reply #43 on: 01/06/2018 10:03 pm »
Once again reminded of this:

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/65_years.png

Offline wholmeswa

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 144
« Reply #44 on: 01/06/2018 10:03 pm »
Rest in Peace  :'(

Offline brad2007a

• Clifton Park, NY USA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #45 on: 01/06/2018 10:47 pm »
I had the honor of meeting John Young after he gave a speech at RPI in 1998. A great astronaut and a true hero and patriot.

R.I.P.

😔
Democrats haven't been this mad at Republicans since the Republicans took away their slaves..

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
« Reply #46 on: 01/06/2018 10:48 pm »
Loved his sarcasm and no-frills, no-BS attitude. Legend.

RIP

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 875
  • Likes Given: 967
« Reply #47 on: 01/06/2018 11:21 pm »
Brilliant mind with an understated sense of humour. Heard him speak at the NASM many years ago, when he talked about the engineers being wrong and Columbia having a glide ratio of 4.53784 instead of the predicted 4.2456 which is why he overshot the STS-1 landing, I knew there was a lot of aerospace engineering I'd never comprehend.

He was asked if he'd ever fly again and in his laconic Georgia drawl he said he would not because it was too dangerous... too dangerous... Not flying the Shuttle, but if he flew again his wife Suzy would kill him. (She was in the front row and stood up, applauding and laughing.)

Godspeed, Sir.
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #48 on: 01/06/2018 11:58 pm »
If not for bad timing and politics, he would have commanded the Hubble deployment mission in 1986 or 1987. In fact, in part because of his outrage following the Challenger accident, he was moved aside from that flight and lost his chance to fly in space again forever :(  No disrespect at all to Colonel Loren Shriver; but it would have really been something to see Captain Young fly in space one more time at age 60 in 1990, when STS-31 finally flew.

Charlie Bolden would have had some more great anecdotes to tell us after that flight, as would the rest of the crew.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Overflow

• Space Shuttle Aficonado
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #49 on: 01/07/2018 12:07 am »
Just saw the news and came to pay my respects.

RIP John. You lived one hell of a life. The type of life we should all strive for.

Godspeed.

« Reply #50 on: 01/07/2018 12:24 am »
Godspeed Captain Young. You were my favorite astronaut. I'm very saddened by the news.

Online Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1953
  • Likes Given: 1144
« Reply #51 on: 01/07/2018 12:45 am »
This is sad for many reasons.  He was and still is and always will be a legend.  If you get a chance to go see one of these guys at any event, do not hesitate - go!  You will not regret taking the time.  Last summer I went to see what was billed as the last Apollo reunion.  It is one of my greatest memories.  I was fortunate that this even was only 90 miles from my home.  People came from all over the world to see this.  A number told me afterwards it was well worth the trip.

These videos are worth watching

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/3309/1

full evening presentation:

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #52 on: 01/07/2018 03:28 am »
Oh my.  I just heard this sad news tonight.

John Young was one of my heroes. While I was aware of Apollo 11, and followed Skylab somewhat in the 70s, I really became a regular follower of space activities with the Shuttle. 

I was in my early 20s, and STS-1 was a huge event for me.  I followed the shuttle program through the best resource at that time, which was Aviation Week & Space Technology magazine, with the superb Craig Covault regularly chronicling the progress of the Space Shuttle.  I still have their special edition of  "Flying the Space Shuttle", which was a collection of their many Space Shuttle articles.  NASA TV was also up & running on cable TV, which I had subscribed to, so I could follow all the shuttle missions.

John Young was a U.S. Navy fighter pilot and test pilot - just like my dad.  I admired him, for his skills, but also for being himself.
I never met him in person, but I appreciated his candor regarding safety. And I always loved his refreshing comments regarding the Space Shuttle after the 1st flight:  "The world's greatest all-electric flying machine".

Godspeed, John Young.

May he rest in peace.
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Online robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
« Reply #53 on: 01/07/2018 12:17 pm »
RIP John Young.

One of the great heroes spanning generations in mankind's push towards the unknown.

God Bless

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81676
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #54 on: 01/07/2018 12:20 pm »
We offer our deepest condolences to John Young's family and loved ones. Millions of people will remember legendary astronaut forever. // Выражаем соболезнования родным и близким легендарного астронавта Джона Янга

https://twitter.com/roscosmos/status/949992949294747648

Offline Hankelow8

• UK
  • Liked: 166
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #55 on: 01/07/2018 12:34 pm »
Yes, another of the great pioneering astronauts has passed away.

Privileged to say I was at the first Space Shuttle launch commanded by John Young.

Offline haywoodfloyd

• Veteran
  • Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #56 on: 01/07/2018 01:00 pm »
More and more of my personal heroes are passing away.
I held a special place for John Young - the coolest, calmest astronaut - the ultimate professional.
I will miss him.
God speed John Young.

Offline 2a9

• Liked: 0
« Reply #57 on: 01/07/2018 02:05 pm »
Such a great sense of loss...

Offline saturnapollo

• Edinburgh, UK
    • Space Models Photography
  • Liked: 230
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #58 on: 01/07/2018 02:37 pm »
Very saddened to hear this. One of my heroes from the Apollo era.

Was privileged to meet him when he came across to Scotland to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Ted Fresson's first air mail route from Inverness to Kiirkwall, Orkney. Fresson was a lifelong hero of Young's and inspired him to get into aviation. Was lucky to get a seat on the ATP which recreated the route and John Young was given a chance to fly the aircraft, so I can at least say I've been on an aircraft been piloted by a moonwalker and someone I greatly admired.

RIP John Young
« Last Edit: 01/07/2018 02:38 pm by saturnapollo »

Offline GBCT#5

• Liked: 158
« Reply #59 on: 01/07/2018 07:55 pm »
Sad day.

John Young was a Personal Hero.

A Great Pilot who was never afraid to speak up/stand up for Safety and the Space Program.

RIP Capt. and thanks for the Crawler Shoes.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography