Author Topic: Pegasus-XL - ICON - Cape Canaveral - October 10/11, 2019  (Read 126420 times)

Offline LouScheffer

• Liked: 6109
  • Likes Given: 836
Re: Pegasus-XL - ICON - Kwajalein - TBA, 2018
« Reply #80 on: 06/11/2018 02:02 pm »
All these problems and its high cost doesn't bode well for the future of Pegasus XL. This could end up being the last flight of this rocket.

ICON masses 291 kg.  It could almost fit on RocketLab, which has a 225 kg capacity for about 1/4 of the cost - $10M vs $40M.  And though RocketLab has only two flights to date, its scheduling certainty looks comparable.  Reliability has yet to be determined.

So Pegasus will likely be squeezed from both ends.  If a small satellite is enough, keep it less than 225 kg and use RocketLab and save money.  If it's too big for that, get a Falcon-9 for not too much more.  If you can find a partner, such as Iridum and Grace did, it might even be cheaper than Pegasus.  And if Launcher One works (or somewhat less likely any of the other 1000 kg to orbit startups), then it gets squeezed directly, with similar capabilities for lower cost.  And Vega already offers more payload for a similar price.

Overall, it's hard to see much of a niche where Pegasus is the logical choice.

Online Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
« Reply #81 on: 06/12/2018 06:26 am »
Very unlikely. I rather expect IXPE to be awarded to NG/Pegasus.

Spacecraft mass is 292 kg from the fact sheet. The Minotaur 4/Orion 38 launched the 140 kg ORS-5 into 0° 600 km orbit, but that looks too low in mass for IXPE. LauncherOne could do it, but probably could not get qualified in time. Electron is out due to the inclination and not having the performance. Looks like NASA doesn't have much choice.

"The Imaging X-ray Polarimetry Explorer will be launched on or after November 20, 2020 from Kwajelein Atoll into a 540-km circular orbit at 0° inclination."

https://ixpe.msfc.nasa.gov/about/index.html
https://ixpe.msfc.nasa.gov/about/fact_sheet.html
« Last Edit: 06/12/2018 06:30 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Sam Ho

• Liked: 580
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #82 on: 06/12/2018 06:41 pm »

Spacecraft mass is 292 kg from the fact sheet. The Minotaur 4/Orion 38 launched the 140 kg ORS-5 into 0° 600 km orbit, but that looks too low in mass for IXPE. LauncherOne could do it, but probably could not get qualified in time. Electron is out due to the inclination and not having the performance. Looks like NASA doesn't have much choice.

"The Imaging X-ray Polarimetry Explorer will be launched on or after November 20, 2020 from Kwajelein Atoll into a 540-km circular orbit at 0° inclination."

Yes, the fact sheet baselines Pegasus.  There aren't many launchers that can get to an equatorial LEO.
Mission Design and Operations Concept
• Pegasus launch from Kwajalein (RTS) on or after 11/20/2020
• 540-km circular orbit at nominal 0° inclination
• Two-year mission
• Point-and-stare observations of known targets
• Science Operations Center (SOC) at MSFC
• Mission Operations Center (MOC) at CU/LASP
• Ground Station at Malindi (backup: Singapore)

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
« Reply #83 on: 06/12/2018 07:24 pm »

Yes, the fact sheet baselines Pegasus.  There aren't many launchers that can get to an equatorial LEO.
Mission Design and Operations Concept
• Pegasus launch from Kwajalein (RTS) on or after 11/20/2020
• 540-km circular orbit at nominal 0° inclination
• Two-year mission
• Point-and-stare observations of known targets
• Science Operations Center (SOC) at MSFC
• Mission Operations Center (MOC) at CU/LASP
• Ground Station at Malindi (backup: Singapore)

I think all the DIVM, AV 401, and F9R/ASDS can do 2000+ kg to 540 km circular equatorial LEO. And Delta II out of Canaveral, if that were still available, could do 400+ kg. Perhaps Minotaur C or Antares 2xx as well.

Of course Pegasus is cheaper than any of those, at least at the moment.

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #84 on: 06/13/2018 05:31 am »
I think all the DIVM, AV 401, and F9R/ASDS can do 2000+ kg to 540 km circular equatorial LEO. And Delta II out of Canaveral, if that were still available, could do 400+ kg. Perhaps Minotaur C or Antares 2xx as well.

Of course Pegasus is cheaper than any of those, at least at the moment.

Yes, the IXPE team is designing the spacecraft and instrument compliment to fit in the Pegasus, including the telescoping boom that  folds small for launch and expands to set the proper, 4 meter distance between the Multiple (X-Ray) Mirror Assemblies and the (pixelated gas cell) Detector Units.

Someone on NSF, and I am ashamed to admit that I can't remember who, modeled a Falcon 9 launch to a zero degree inclination orbit.  The potential payload was around 3000 kg, and that was probably before Block 5.  If IXPE could have shared the ride on Falcon 9, (always very difficult to arrange, just ask Arianespace) it would be cheaper than Pegasus, partially because they could launch at the full 5 meter length, and obviate the boom and all its complications.

edit: But that's not going to happen.
edit 2: And it's wandering off topic for this ICON thread.  IXPE stuff goes here.
« Last Edit: 06/13/2018 02:32 pm by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
« Reply #85 on: 06/13/2018 01:00 pm »
Ride-sharing to equatorial LEO isn't very plausible since very few payloads go there. Who would they share with?

Offline LouScheffer

« Reply #86 on: 06/13/2018 08:58 pm »
Someone on NSF, and I am ashamed to admit that I can't remember who, modeled a Falcon 9 launch to a zero degree inclination orbit.  The potential payload was around 3000 kg, and that was probably before Block 5. 

Searching NSF is so hard it's easier to do the calculations from scratch.  Let's do a 250 km orbit going 7760 m/s.  Then making a 28 degree turn while leaving speed unchanged takes 3754 m/s.  At an ISP of 348, this takes a mass ratio of 3.0.  Since a Falcon 9 GTO launch puts about 24t in orbit (second stage + fuel + payload), then the burnout mass is about 8t.   Given the second stage mass of about 4.5t, that leaves 3500 kg for the payload.   But you don't want to burn to depletion, so maybe a little less.   3000 kg seems reasonable.

The same line of reasoning will show that for any rocket, the 0 degree from the cape mass will be about, more or less, 1/2 of the GTO mass.  (very rough since ISP and second stage dry mass differ by quite a bit).  However,  given that that IXPE is only 292 kg, any rocket that can do GTO at all can probably do it.

Offline LouScheffer

« Reply #87 on: 07/06/2018 01:52 pm »
The explanation for the move of ICON from Kwaj to Cape in this SFN article makes no sense to me.  According to NASA, ICON is headed to a 27 degree circular orbit.  The article states that it was originally slated for Kwaj since the Cape did not have the desired performance.

But this seems odd.  Surely the L-1011 can fly south from the 28.5 degree Cape to get within the 27 degree orbit - that's only about half way to Miami.  And if it launches within the 27 degree orbit, then no plane change is required, and the performance should be the same from both sites.  At the equator, the full speed of the Earth is available, but only cos(i) is in the direction you need.  At the northern tip of the orbit, only cos(i) of the Earth's speed is available, but it's all in the direction you need.  The two effects cancel, and the capacity is the same.

So what am I missing?  Perhaps the Eastern range cannot cover the launch if they fly south first, so a plane change is required after all?

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8565
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #88 on: 07/06/2018 01:56 pm »
The explanation for the move of ICON from Kwaj to Cape in this SFN article makes no sense to me.  According to NASA, ICON is headed to a 27 degree circular orbit.  The article states that it was originally slated for Kwaj since the Cape did not have the desired performance.

But this seems odd.  Surely the L-1011 can fly south from the 28.5 degree Cape to get within the 27 degree orbit - that's only about half way to Miami.  And if it launches within the 27 degree orbit, then no plane change is required, and the performance should be the same from both sites.  At the equator, the full speed of the Earth is available, but only cos(i) is in the direction you need.  At the northern tip of the orbit, only cos(i) of the Earth's speed is available, but it's all in the direction you need.  The two effects cancel, and the capacity is the same.

So what am I missing?  Perhaps the Eastern range cannot cover the launch if they fly south first, so a plane change is required after all?
Kim Keller's explanation upthread seems correct to me.  He gives range availability as the reason for the shift.  You are right about the orbital mechanics I believe, but I'm pretty sure the L1011 cannot drop launch off, say, Jupiter, Florida given the presence of the Bahamas, etc..

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 07/06/2018 02:00 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7392
  • Likes Given: 72406
« Reply #89 on: 08/24/2018 05:59 pm »
SFN Launch Schedule, updated Aug. 24:
ICON launch date and window announced:
October 6, 08:00 to 09:30 UTC = 4:00 to 5:30 a.m. EDT.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline GreySea

• Ontario, California
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Pegasus-XL - ICON - Cape Canaveral- October, 2018
« Reply #91 on: 09/01/2018 11:53 pm »
We flew Stargazer for 45 minutes on Novenber 19th.  Crew had only one squawk.  Last flying L1011 in the world and still flying great.  Got 2 missions on the books to last us to 2017 and we hope Pegasus will take us into the 2020's. 8)

Just found this forum via an article on the Pegasus launch. For a few months, Stargazer was at Guardian Jet Center which is on my route to work. Normally there's just smaller private jets parked there, so imagine the shock of seeing the ass-end of this beast sticking out of Guardian's hangar one chilly February morning. I love living near the airport,  and this was definitely a bright spot of my daily drive. I'll always have a soft spot for Stargazer.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #92 on: 09/03/2018 08:04 am »
August 31, 2018
MEDIA ADVISORY M18-131

NASA Invites Media to View Spacecraft to Study the Frontier of Space

NASA is inviting media to view NASA’s Ionospheric Connection Explorer (ICON) spacecraft Thursday, Oct. 4, ahead of its scheduled launch aboard a Northrop Grumman Pegasus XL rocket Saturday, Oct. 6, at 4 a.m. EDT from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station (CCAFS) in Florida.

ICON will study Earth’s ionosphere to help determine the physical process at play in this frontier of space where terrestrial weather from below meets space weather from above and pave the way for mitigating its effects on our technology and society.

Media will be able to interview ICON team members, see the rocket, and tour Northrop Grumman’s L-1011 “Stargazer” aircraft that will carry the rocket over the Atlantic Ocean, where it will detach and carry ICON into orbit.

Media prelaunch activities will take place at CCAFS and neighboring NASA Kennedy Space Center. Credentialing deadlines are as follows:

•Media who are U.S. citizens must apply by 4:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 27.

•Media who are not U.S. citizens must apply by noon Tuesday, Sept. 4, for access to CCAFS; or by 4:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 14, for access to Kennedy media activities only.

All media accreditation requests must be submitted online at:

https://media.ksc.nasa.gov

For questions about accreditation, media representatives should email [email protected]. For other questions, contact Kennedy’s newsroom at 321-867-2468.

For more information about ICON visit

https://www.nasa.gov/icon
Jacques :-)

Online StarryKnight

• Virginia
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #93 on: 09/04/2018 11:49 pm »
This is not ICON specific, but I didn't know if there was a better place to post this. The Smithsonian Channel's Mighty Planes series is showing an episode on the Pegasus XL and it's carrier aircraft, Stargazer, this Sunday Sept. 9 at 9:00 PM EDT. The show repeats 3 hours later (9:00 PM PDT) and several times during the following week.

The channel lets you watch some shows on line. I don't know how soon after the episode airs that you can watch it via the internet.

https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/mighty-planes/stargazer-l-1011/1003002/3461841
In satellite operations, schedules are governed by the laws of physics and bounded by the limits of technology.

Offline Rondaz

• Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #94 on: 09/14/2018 04:45 pm »
ICON Launch Delayed; New Launch Date to Come

Bob Granath September 14, 2018

NASA and Northrop Grumman have decided to delay the launch of the agency’s Ionospheric Connection Explorer, or ICON, to allow time to address a quality issue with a vendor-supplied electrical connector on the launch vehicle. Northrop Grumman does not expect an extended delay and will work with the range to determine a new launch date. The ICON spacecraft will launch aboard a Northrop Grumman Pegasus XL rocket from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.

Offline Rondaz

• Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #95 on: 09/21/2018 04:02 pm »
NASA’s ICON launch now targeted for Oct. 26 – Kennedy Space Center

Bob Granath September 21, 2018

NASA and Northrop Grumman are now targeting Friday, Oct. 26, 2018, for the launch of the agency’s Ionospheric Connection Explorer, or ICON. The spacecraft will launch aboard a Northrop Grumman Pegasus XL rocket from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The launch window is 90 minutes starting at 4 a.m. EDT and ICON will be launching off the coast of Daytona at 39,000 ft. at a heading of 105.0 degrees. The launch was postponed from Saturday, Oct. 6, 2018, to allow time to address a quality issue with a vendor-supplied electrical connector on the launch vehicle, which has been resolved.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
Re: Pegasus-XL - ICON - Cape Canaveral- October 26, 2018
« Reply #96 on: 10/02/2018 07:35 pm »
Will be doing an interview with Northrop managers regarding Pegasus and ICON on Wednesday (10/3) morning.

If you have any questions you'd like asked, PM them to me.
« Last Edit: 10/02/2018 07:36 pm by ChrisGebhardt »

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Likes Given: 320
Re: Pegasus-XL - ICON - Cape Canaveral- October 26, 2018
« Reply #98 on: 10/16/2018 05:26 pm »
Jacques :-)

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator