Author Topic: Gaojing-1&2 (SuperView-1&2) - CZ-2D - TSLC, LC9 - December 28, 2016 (03:23 UTC)  (Read 56176 times)

Offline Liss

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 88
BY70-1 - Bayi Kepu Weixing-1
Its full descriptive name is 八一学校科普小卫星 [Bāyī xuéxiào kēpǔ xiǎo wèixīng], that means August 1st School Science Small Satellite.
August 1st is usually linked to PLA
Naturally, because it's PLA birthday. In Russia, it would be School named after February 23 :-)
An its official name seems to be “八一•少年行”卫星 [“Bāyī•shàonián xíng” wèixīng].
This message reflects my personal opinion based on open sources of information.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8567
  • Likes Given: 1356
So this looks like a launch vehicle failure, with a possibility of the satellites salvaging themselves, though that remains to be seen.  If not, they'll probably reenter in a few weeks.

I believe this is the first-ever CZ-2D launch vehicle failure since the type started flying in 1992.

Both of China's orbital launch vehicle failures this year from Taiyuan.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 12/28/2016 09:43 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline vapour_nudge

• Australia
  • Liked: 266
  • Likes Given: 338
Spaceflightnow have posted a story on this too confirming the failure

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
If the satellites salvage themselves, it would be a partial failure?

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8567
  • Likes Given: 1356
It all depends on the definition - and there is no common definition. 

In my book it would be a launch vehicle failure with the payloads inserted into an improper orbit.  If the payloads are able to raise themselves to their planned orbits with propellant left for the mission, it would not be a mission failure.  Similar to AV-009, CRS-1, STS-51F, etc.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 12/28/2016 11:50 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
It all depends on the definition - and there is no common definition. 

In my book it would be a launch vehicle failure with the payloads inserted into an improper orbit.  If the payloads are able to raise themselves to their planned orbits with propellant left for the mission, it would not be a mission failure.  Similar to AV-009, CRS-1, STS-51F, etc.

- Ed Kyle

Agreed - mostly.
I am counting the launch vehicle as a 75% score (wrong but usable orbit) in my own arcane system which runs from 0% (blew up on pad) to 100%  (all payloads separated in right orbit).
That does not, of course, mean that the payload customer would be 75% happy!
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Online Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32738
  • Likes Given: 8202
I'm calling this one a partial failure, for the moment, since the satellites are in orbit. If the satellites can't get into a usable orbit, then it becomes a failure.
« Last Edit: 12/29/2016 02:15 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline osiossim

• Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 0
"usable" orbit should be typical sso for optical remote sensing, not this type of strange orbit.

Probably, the satellites are also designed to work in the typical sso, in terms of power budgets and imagery constraints. I dont know the satellite and the fuel mass but I have doubts if the onboard fuel will be enough to bring the satellites to any intended (target) sso.

Seems like he satellites are "unusable" at the moment an will not be able to return as much image as defined in their contracts.

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
"usable" orbit should be typical sso for optical remote sensing, not this type of strange orbit.

Probably, the satellites are also designed to work in the typical sso, in terms of power budgets and imagery constraints. I dont know the satellite and the fuel mass but I have doubts if the onboard fuel will be enough to bring the satellites to any intended (target) sso.

Seems like he satellites are "unusable" at the moment an will not be able to return as much image as defined in their contracts.

My calculations indicate the sats *do* have enough prop to get to their target orbit.

Jonathan McDowell

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
BY70-1 - Bayi Kepu Weixing-1
Its full descriptive name is 八一学校科普小卫星 [Bāyī xuéxiào kēpǔ xiǎo wèixīng], that means August 1st School Science Small Satellite.
August 1st is linked to PLA, that explains why the military channel (CCTV 7) had a long report earlier today on this amateur satellite (from which I extracted the picture above of ground test equipment showing  amateur band frequencies)

Apparently Bayi is the school that Xi Jinping went to!   http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1026290.shtml

Jonathan McDowell

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567
From the latest TLEs (epoch Dec 29, 05:20 UTC) , it appears that the perigee of Object B has been raised from 213 km to 262 km

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
and now Object A as well:
Perigee raised from 214 km to 242 km (epoch Dec 29, 08:21 UTC)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
I wonder how much useful life they will lose having to achieve their orbits this way.

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
Just a thought but I wonder whether the CZ-2D second stage was intended to de-orbit itself after the satellites deployed?   If this was the case then the premature shut-down of the verniers prevented this.

Adding to the above after some more thought.   Perhaps there was a programming error which led to the verniers being shut down at the same time as the main engine on the second stage?   This could have prevented the verniers re-igniting to perform the de-orbit burn.
« Last Edit: 12/30/2016 01:20 pm by Phillip Clark »
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline osiossim

• Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 0
Perigee raised  to 370 km and to 353 km for both satellites.

The life time increased a bit but, we do not know the configuration of the satellites. The questions remain such as;

1. How much fuel they have to correct the orbital injection error or
2. How much fuel they have to correct the LTAN or
3. How much fuel they need to get out from safe mode or escape from the sun etc.

Thus, the life time of the satellites and the concept of the mission could have been seriously degraded. Apart from that, the ground speed at this orbit is extreamly fast and the payload electronics' clock speed is slow to gather and process any usable data.

As a result, nothing could be gathered from this mission but if China will launch 24 of these satellites, it should not be a problem to lost 2 of them.
« Last Edit: 12/30/2016 11:32 am by osiossim »

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
Working orbit was supposed to be a 500km SSO. They had a low perigee, but the apo was fine.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81689
  • Likes Given: 36943

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
Perhaps there was a programming error which led to the verniers being shut down at the same time as the main engine on the second stage?   This could have prevented the verniers re-igniting to perform the de-orbit burn.
Phillip, the verniers started as planned as can be seen in this graph from the launch video:

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
1st stage debris fell near Zhuyang town in Henan province. Onlookers mistook it for a crashing airplane!
http://www.epochtimes.com/gb/16/12/28/n8641933.htm
« Last Edit: 12/30/2016 03:30 pm by input~2 »

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
Perhaps there was a programming error which led to the verniers being shut down at the same time as the main engine on the second stage?   This could have prevented the verniers re-igniting to perform the de-orbit burn.
Phillip, the verniers started as planned as can be seen in this graph from the launch video:

In that case, does the video show how far into the burn the verniers shut down compared with the planned shut down?
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography