Author Topic: ITS in space repair  (Read 10571 times)

Offline flyright

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 716
  • Likes Given: 1882
Re: ITS in space repair
« Reply #20 on: 06/20/2017 03:01 pm »

Does SPHERES make use of reaction-sphere tech?

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42842.0

I don't think it uses reaction-sphere tech. Just carbon dioxide.

From NASA FAQ page:
"The main components inside a SPHERES can be summarized to: an aluminum frame, CO2 bottle, Regulator, Expansion Chamber, safety blow off valves, Tubing, Manifolds, Thrusters, PCBs, a DSP, Radios, Gyroscopes, Accelerometers, Wires, and two Battery packs"

https://www.nasa.gov/spheres/home

Offline flyright

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 716
  • Likes Given: 1882
« Reply #21 on: 06/20/2017 03:04 pm »
My bet is that toilets and ECLSS will have the most in space repairs.  That's why I favor multiple smaller ECLSS setups with aggregate capacity exceeding # of passengers.  Lots of spare parts.  Perhaps the au courant magic unicorn 3-D printing might facilitate replacement of some components.  Probably not.

As to outside pre-TMI PICA-X inspection, a small drone vs a costly to develop and certify 2001 style sci-fi pod seems more SpaceXy.  Not sure what the options are should PICA-X fail inspection.  At worst another ITS could unload passengers for Earth return.

Yep! Toilets and ECLSS.
A lot of the ISS ECLSS is installed in racks. It seems to me the same approach would make repair a lot easier on ITS.

Offline The Amazing Catstronaut

• Arsia Mons, Mars, Sol IV, Inner Solar Solar System, Sol system.
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 626
« Reply #22 on: 06/22/2017 12:50 am »
I'm now wondering if "Interplanetary Space Plumber" will be the intrepid profession of tomorrow.

Sanitation Engineers are going to be demigods in social stature both on the ITS and Mars. You're going to need them on Mars anyway - might as well bring somebody trained specifically for the role at some point.
« Last Edit: 06/22/2017 12:55 am by The Amazing Catstronaut »
Resident feline spaceflight expert. Knows nothing of value about human spaceflight.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography