Author Topic: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2  (Read 169734 times)

Offline leovinus

• Porto, Portugal
  • Liked: 867
  • Likes Given: 1727
Re: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2
« Reply #380 on: 02/28/2022 03:23 pm »
Note SMF Version 2.1.0 and feature patch 2.1.1 was released to General Availability. The forum should hopefully be arranged in the near future to perform the software upgrade.
The .x release number might seem small, but the user-facing features sound fantastic

A new WYSIWYG editor, SCEditor
    Real-time alerts in addition to email notifications
    A new default theme with full support for mobile devices
    Draft messages (you can save & resume later)
    Mentions using @name syntax
    Drag & drop attachments
    Attachments can be embedded directly into post text

While improvements are good, those are all what I'd humorously call "visually pleasing" improvements ;)  Anyone wants to go through this thread and see which previously mentioned functional issues are being addressed by a new release? For the top of my head, there was interest in abbreviations, better sort and search, like's in Mobile theme, and more.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #381 on: 02/28/2022 10:34 pm »
Note SMF Version 2.1.0 and feature patch 2.1.1 was released to General Availability. The forum should hopefully consider making the schueduling arrangements in the near future to perform the SMF software upgrades.
The .x release number might seem small, but the user-facing features sound fantastic

A new WYSIWYG editor, SCEditor
    Real-time alerts in addition to email notifications
    A new default theme with full support for mobile devices
    Draft messages (you can save & resume later)
    Mentions using @name syntax
    Drag & drop attachments
    Attachments can be embedded directly into post text
Full feature list for 2.1.0
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Differences_between_SMF_2.1_and_SMF_2.0

List for 2.1.1
    Restores support for PHP 7.0–7.2
    Fixes a minor bug in the Package Manager

I edited my original post for clarity.

Note that several deferred features have been bumped to future releases due to problems that required more time. 2.1.0 was finally pushed out after delays thanks to the deferrals.
« Last Edit: 05/26/2022 10:00 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #382 on: 02/28/2022 10:44 pm »
What are we actually allowed to do with the "Insert Picture" button?
Figure they would like to stop having to clean up threads.

It's possible that they figure most people type in their BBCode tags manually. (Such as img and url tags.) Therefore removing the button itself would only fractionally reduce the number of embedded images, but would require an annoying amount of recoding of the BBCode editor. Much effort, minimum improvement. Better to spend limited manpower resources elsewhere. {shrug}
We have several SMF developers are on this forum and I would suggest that you direct any questions to them or create an SMF account to use the official Q&A process.
« Last Edit: 02/28/2022 11:34 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #383 on: 03/11/2022 08:50 pm »
When threads are merged or locked because it’s a duplicate thread, can corresponding links be added in both threads before the lock occurs? It gets confusing when a thread you were following seems to disappear because it got locked.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18198
  • Likes Given: 12158
« Reply #384 on: 03/18/2022 10:18 am »
Just dropping by to here to express my appreciation for the moderators.They did an excellent job in speedily removing a recently joined member who was spreading crap posts in multiple threads this morning.

Well done!

This is just one of many reasons why the moderated NSF forum is THE BEST spaceflight forum on the planet.
« Last Edit: 03/18/2022 10:18 am by woods170 »

Offline webdan

• Clearwater, FL
  • Liked: 252
  • Likes Given: 272
« Reply #385 on: 03/18/2022 10:30 am »
Couldn't agree more!

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
« Reply #386 on: 04/05/2022 01:23 am »
Hey, I have a gentle, loving complaint for the NSF video crew.  I have been an NSF participant since literally Year 0 (Shuttle RTF!) and have watched every one of your Youtube videos, although usually a day later.  On Sunday, you all apparently did a live Q+A session on the Starbase Live (SBL) channel.  This is the feed that runs continuously 24/7, normally has no audio or maybe ambient sound, and can only be scrubbed back a maximum of 12 hours.  Normally you spin up a separate feed for any event with commentary, which would then be archived properly by Youtube and can be watched any time.  As it stands, nobody could watch that Q+A after 12 hours had passed.  And since that event was done in lieu of the regular Sunday NSF Live, there is now no weekly commentary feed for us to catch up with.

Maybe you all had some resource problem that prevented you from doing the usual feed, i.e. usual troops unavailable to spin things up, but I just wanted to flag it as a regrettable divergence from your usual good process.  Thank you for reading :)

https://twitter.com/TGMetsFan98/status/1510691788650078219
« Last Edit: 04/05/2022 01:25 am by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Online rsnellenberger

• Amateur wood butcher
  • Harbor Springs, Michigan
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #387 on: 04/21/2022 07:47 pm »
There seems to be an Internet plumbing problem clicking on the "new posts" arrow in the L2 photos threads. For example, I just looked at the Roberts Road Photos thread and, although I had looked at it yesterday and even marked  "New posts" read after I was done, looked at it again a few minutes ago and it put me on a picture from March.

This has been happening for a while, but I hadn't gotten around to reporting it. The behavior is endemic throughout all of the L2 Photos threads, but I have never noticed it in other threads I regularly visit. Mobile site using iOS 14+ with Safari.

Offline Hamish.Student

• Liked: 427
  • Likes Given: 464
« Reply #388 on: 04/22/2022 04:57 am »
There seems to be an Internet plumbing problem clicking on the "new posts" arrow in the L2 photos threads. For example, I just looked at the Roberts Road Photos thread and, although I had looked at it yesterday and even marked  "New posts" read after I was done, looked at it again a few minutes ago and it put me on a picture from March.

This has been happening for a while, but I hadn't gotten around to reporting it. The behavior is endemic throughout all of the L2 Photos threads, but I have never noticed it in other threads I regularly visit. Mobile site using iOS 14+ with Safari.

I have also seen this in the BC Production Updates thread (Public, not L2). But I haven't checked them in a while, so I don't know if the issue still exists. But I have noticed it several times over the last ~year. 
I use the desktop site exclusively on Chrome and Linux.
« Last Edit: 04/22/2022 04:58 am by Hamish.Student »

Offline dglow

• Liked: 2295
  • Likes Given: 4433
« Reply #389 on: 05/01/2022 08:17 pm »
Before anyone else quotes the post with the Youtube video embedded, note that you can suppress NSF's auto embed feature by trimming the leading "www." off the Youtube URL.

This is great. Request: please implement a similar mechanism for Twitter embeds.

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #390 on: 05/04/2022 09:34 pm »

I don't know if it's the cause here, but this happens all the time in "update only" threads when rogue discussion posts are moved to the discussion thread (or deleted altogether).  The resulting hole disrupts the page indexing somehow so that the "new" link doesn't go to the right place.  I see it all the time, and I just shrug and jump ahead :)
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #391 on: 05/04/2022 09:36 pm »
Can there be a forum thread, in this section, to announce features in / discuss issues with the Youtube feeds?  We need a persistent place in the NSF world for this, and thread in this section seems like the right place.

Examples of things that would be discussed in this new thread:

1. My complaint above about live commentary events that aren't archived :)

2: The recent launch of the McGregor Live stream!  It's exciting and we want to know more!  I eventually stumbled across some tweets that describe it, including a neat video from Adam Cuker that announced it, and the one below that explained a key feature (audio history! brilliant! now I know!).  This information really should be captured in a new thread, not this one that is really about the forum itself.

3: It would be a good place to officially state the suppress-autoembed feature mentioned a couple posts above this one.

Moderators, want to create a new thread? Proposed title: "NSF Youtube videos and live streams".   You could use this comment as the seed for it, and I would be happy to then edit it to provide a welcome mat to the thread, pointing out the purpose of the new thread, linking to the Youtube channel and live streams, mentioning the auto-embed suppression trick. etc. 

I do see that there's an existing forum section here for "NSF Live" but that seems focused on the weekly talk show.

In the meantime, I guess I'll edit the new McGregor stuff into this post ...

NEW LIVE STREAM: McGregor Live!

Announcement by Adam Cuker:

Announcement by John "Das" Galloway (starting at 1m15s) with explanation of the cryptic numbers in upper left corner:

Das mentioning the cool 15-minutes-of-audio visual timeline feature:
https://twitter.com/KSpaceAcademy/status/1521183551365992449
« Last Edit: 06/16/2022 09:29 pm by ChrisC »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #392 on: 05/26/2022 05:58 pm »
Note SMF Version 2.1.0 and feature patch 2.1.1 was released to General Availability. The forum should hopefully consider making the schueduling arrangements in the near future to perform the SMF software upgrades.
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=580585.0

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=580657.0

Edited for clarity.
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=582201.0
« Last Edit: 05/26/2022 09:59 pm by russianhalo117 »

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #393 on: 06/16/2022 10:37 pm »
... I have watched every one of your Youtube videos, although usually a day later.  On Sunday, you all apparently did a live Q+A session on the Starbase Live (SBL) channel.  This is the feed that runs continuously 24/7, normally has no audio or maybe ambient sound, and can only be scrubbed back a maximum of 12 hours.  Normally you spin up a separate feed for any event with commentary, which would then be archived properly by Youtube and can be watched any time.  As it stands, nobody could watch that Q+A after 12 hours had passed.

Following up on this, I just wanted to say THANK YOU to the NSF powers that be for taking last night's coverage of the first roll of an OLIT tower segment at KSC (from Roberts Road to LC-39A) that ran on the Starbase Live channel (with lots of good commentary!) and splitting it off / publishing it as its own video.  (below)

When I saw via Twitter this morning that this had happened, while I was getting ready for work, I hurriedly first tried to figure out if I could download it, and failing that scrubbed through the 12-hour archive absorbing as much as a could.  I knew that I wouldn't be able to watch it after 12 noon, meaning not tonight (now as I type this) when I would actually have time to look -- after work!  So thanks again for doing this.  Otherwise it's a shame that nobody gets to hear that fine commentary other than the people that happen to catch it in those 12 hours.

« Last Edit: 06/16/2022 10:40 pm by ChrisC »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #394 on: 06/16/2022 10:38 pm »
Also Chris. We honestly thought it would be a 10 minute drive past, so we did it in SBL not a dedicated stream. Had we known it was a two hour event with cool views, we'd have done dedicated. So after the event we decided to record what we had and put it up as above.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 617
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #395 on: 07/21/2022 09:16 pm »
Is this the best topic to discuss reorganization of topics about commercial launchers from Europe?
For a reason unknown to me, the PLD space topic was relocated from the 'Commercial space flight general' to first the 'Other launchers' section and next the 'ESA launchers' section of the forum. I think this is odd.
And the relocation created a lot of (unwanted) discussion about the relocation in the topic.
I think this might have opened Pandora's box, and initiated further actions by the moderating team.

First  there are other companies from Europe with topics in the 'Commercial...' section. A part of the list:
- RFA; Rocket Factory Augsburg
- ISAR Aerospace
- HyImpulse (Suborbital, for now)
- Skyrora
- Orbex
- Pangea Aerospace
- Andoya Space launch site
- Esrange Space Center
- D-Orbit
- GOMspace
- ICEYE SAR Constellation

In the commercial section, both companies providing launch and satellite are discussed. And even new launch sites. Some European companies aren't discussed, because they are in the wrong section.

In the ESA launchers section there were already some commercial topics.
- Maia Space
- European Microlaunchers

Second PLD space is only working on their Miura 1 suborbital rocket. They still have to start work on the Miura 5 orbital rocket.

Third, the 'ESA launchers - Ariane, Soyuz @ CSG, Vega' implies it's only about launchers. The three launchers named are operated by the commercial company Arianespace. But all ESA/European institutional spaceflight activities are discussed in this section of NSF.   
Than there is the really difficult part. ESA is an independent intergovernmental organization with 22 full member states and nine cooperating states. Canada is one of the cooperating states to ESA.
The Europe is a continent containing many countries, most are European Union members, but some are not. For example the UK and Norway are ESA member states, from the European continent but they aren't EU member states. The European Union has it's own space project; EUSPA is the EU organization managing these.
How to deal with UK commercial launchers? European, ESA but Non EU.
How to deal with companies spread over different continents, Airbus D&S, Rocketlab, Reaction Engines, Spire, etz. are examples.

And the latest news (not posted on NSF jet) gives another complication. Hint: ISAR Aerospace.

I wish the moderating team good luck with reorganizing the forum.
« Last Edit: 07/21/2022 09:31 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline eeergo

« Reply #396 on: 07/22/2022 12:17 am »
This ^^

It's also the case for non-ESA/non-US companies too (British, Indian, Australian...) that also are homeless between the Commercial and International subforums.

I'd also note that now the Artemis I launch thread has been moved to the subsection it is mentioned in (Missions to the Moon), that subforum would also need a thorough reorganization. The "HLV" section contains many threads that should rather be in Historical areas. Most Artemis threads are still there, and it seems unclear which should go where in the future. The "Mission to NEAs" section, on top of the currently-active Moon missions section, hasn't seen real-world development since two US administrations ago.
-DaviD-

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9100
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #397 on: 07/23/2022 04:26 am »
The latest random moves of threads between forum sections make non-sense, as Rik ISS-fan pointed out. The move of Artemis I launch thread to Missions to the Moon section also makes non-sense, because it is this forum's tradition that launch thread should stay in the launch vehicle's section, for example that's why CRS OA-7 launch thread is in ULA's section, not Orbital ATK's section. Eventually when SpaceX launches Gateway or HLS Starship, I think we should all agree it's better for those launch threads to stay in SpaceX's section instead of being moved to Missions to the Moon section.

So I think mods should revert all the moves made recently, there's nothing wrong with the original arrangement, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #398 on: 08/02/2022 08:07 pm »
In the interest of keeping down the noise and storage, is there some way to replace redundant posts with links, like Google Drive does?
The present irritation is several people posting about the number of launches on August 4.
By design, each of them has to repost this in each of the launch treads for the listed missions, although it adds nothing to the discussion about that particular launch. 
Whenever another launch joins the list, the post is edited and reposted, now in each thread of the lengthened list.
At present it's up to seven, so there have been a couple of dozen of these posts.
Heaven forbid that one launch gets postponed, because each polluter will need to repost a reduced list.
Meanwhile, some of us are waiting for news.......

edit: Ditto for redundant posts of Tweets that have already been posted.
Some people don't even check.  They just repost every Tweet they see on every relevant thread. 
Surely the NSF site could keep a list of Tweets and reject posts that are duplicate.
« Last Edit: 08/02/2022 08:18 pm by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline primer_black

• Virginia
  • Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #399 on: 08/12/2022 07:03 pm »
With the recent traffic in the NGIS/OATK section after the news Antares-Firefly partnership, just noticed that maybe it's time to update the forum name again?

There hasn't been an 'NGIS' in NG for a few years now, it only lasted a bit after the OATK purchase.

All NG space is under Northrop Grumman Space Systems, divided between Strategic Space Systems (generally, heritage Space Park, TRW, Webb, big things, etc) and Tactical Space Systems (generally, civil and commercial, everything Orbital/Orbital ATK heritage, small gov sats like ESPASat/ESPAStar)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography