Author Topic: Titan IVB engine detail question  (Read 2351 times)

Offline TCizadlo

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 1
Titan IVB engine detail question
« on: 08/06/2018 05:54 pm »
I was at the Air Force museum yesterday, and I spotted a detail on the engine bell of the engine on the Titan that wasn't on the engine they had off of the Titan for display, and I can't figure out what it is. It's on both bells, and they are on similar locations on each bell.
« Last Edit: 08/06/2018 05:55 pm by TCizadlo »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: Titan IVB engine detail question
« Reply #1 on: 08/06/2018 06:26 pm »
I was at the Air Force museum yesterday, and I spotted a detail on the engine bell of the engine on the Titan that wasn't on the engine they had off of the Titan for display, and I can't figure out what it is. It's on both bells, and they are on similar locations on each bell.

Turbopump exhaust

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #2 on: 08/06/2018 07:04 pm »

Turbopump exhaust
For the smaller convergent-divergent nozzle, yes, but isn't the question about the small diameter drain line running down the size of the big nozzle?

- Ed Kyle

Offline kitmatthews

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #3 on: 08/06/2018 09:18 pm »
In the available diagrams of the LR-87, as well as some photos, there are two "overboard drain lines", likely engine purge lines of some sort. They are uncovered, and located on the outward facing side of the engine, so maybe the Air Force museum chose to represent them with a single raised piece of material, and then turned the engine nozzles the wrong way when they installed them on the exhibit.
« Last Edit: 08/06/2018 09:32 pm by kitmatthews »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #5 on: 08/06/2018 09:41 pm »

Offline TCizadlo

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: 08/06/2018 10:34 pm »
Thank you everyone for answering my question.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #7 on: 08/07/2018 01:22 pm »
In the available diagrams of the LR-87, as well as some photos, there are two "overboard drain lines", likely engine purge lines of some sort. They are uncovered, and located on the outward facing side of the engine, so maybe the Air Force museum chose to represent them with a single raised piece of material, and then turned the engine nozzles the wrong way when they installed them on the exhibit.
I'm trying to remember if the real engines were replaced by mockups for this one.  If they were real, I doubt that they could be turned the wrong way.  At any rate, here are my photos of this one, which show that the two nozzles are equally "clocked", so this doesn't seem random. 

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 08/07/2018 02:07 pm by edkyle99 »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography