Author Topic: Elon Musk speaks at IAC, September 26-30  (Read 18804 times)

Offline malu5531

• Sweden
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 195
Elon Musk speaks at IAC, September 26-30
« on: 06/03/2016 06:08 am »
Elon musk plans to present SpaceX architecture for Mars Colonisation on the IAC conference in Mexico in the end of September. https://www.iac2016.org/Registration.html

Personally, I feel I have to be there and I've bought a ticket. There are probably more of you going, if so I suggest we co-ordinate coverage in this thread.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Re: Elon Musk speaks at IAC, September 26-30
« Reply #1 on: 06/03/2016 06:12 pm »
Clicking on Registration shows this is not cheap if you are just a random person.  I think my rate would be 895 USD if I register by the 15th (2 weeks away). That doesn't include travel/lodging/food...

I wonder if a person or two could be sent as NSF "accredited press", especially if they were willing to pay their own expenses?
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline gosnold

• Liked: 243
  • Likes Given: 2116
« Reply #2 on: 06/03/2016 06:29 pm »
Clicking on Registration shows this is not cheap if you are just a random person.  I think my rate would be 895 USD if I register by the 15th (2 weeks away). That doesn't include travel/lodging/food...

Having a +1 is cheap though, so if several people want to go they could share the costs (if that's allowed).

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
« Reply #3 on: 06/03/2016 06:33 pm »
I am scheduled to go as NSF accredited press. This has been in the works between Chris and I for some time now.

--

Specific thread:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40626.0
« Last Edit: 07/09/2016 10:56 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline Elisabeth

• Canada
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: 06/03/2016 06:38 pm »
I registered under the "Young Professional" category, which is a lot cheaper. Looks like I could add 1 accompanying person, and they'd only have to pay $60. I'm not sure if they'd also have to fit under the "Young Professional" category or not.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #5 on: 06/03/2016 06:55 pm »
I am scheduled to go as NSF accredited press. This has been in the works between Chris and I for some time now.
You're certainly the logical choice, given that you've been to several events now with those credentials, yes? (D2 unveiling IIRC)

Awesome news...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline inventodoc

• Grand Rapids, Michigan
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #6 on: 06/03/2016 08:04 pm »
Be careful.  Often that 'additional person' spot is for a spouse to attend social events.  It may not mean that they can attend conference content.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #7 on: 06/03/2016 08:05 pm »
Please periscope it!
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Elisabeth

• Canada
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: 06/03/2016 08:07 pm »
Just checked:
Registration for Accompanying Persons includes: Admission to the Exhibit Hall, Plenary Program, the Opening Ceremony and the Welcome Reception. It DOES NOT include access to the technical sessions. Accompanying Person is defined as a spouse, civil partner, translator or administrative assistant.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #9 on: 06/03/2016 08:32 pm »
Just checked:
Registration for Accompanying Persons includes: Admission to the Exhibit Hall, Plenary Program, the Opening Ceremony and the Welcome Reception. It DOES NOT include access to the technical sessions. Accompanying Person is defined as a spouse, civil partner, translator or administrative assistant.
So much for my instant marriage proposal, Elizabeth! LOL...

Offline Craftyatom

• Software!
  • Arizona, USA
  • Liked: 720
  • Likes Given: 9169
« Reply #10 on: 06/03/2016 08:43 pm »
Just checked:
Damn, so close... I could pass as a Spanish-English translator.  They probably have more than enough of those on site, though.

Anyways, while I suppose I'd consider signing up and relaying things to NSF (it's a bit out of the way, but could be interesting), sounds like Helo's got it well-covered.
All aboard the HSF hype train!  Choo Choo!

Offline malu5531

• Sweden
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #11 on: 06/03/2016 10:03 pm »
I registered as young professional. Might bring a colleague or two, as we're passionate about space and how to create business out of it.

Will probably fly down on Saturday September 24 for a week. I'm up for a impromptu NSF-meetup on Sunday or Monday evening. Would be fun to share the excitement!

OT: We'll also be at "Newspace 2016" in Seattle June 21 - 23, if any of you will be there.

Offline SpaceX_MS

• Liked: 10292
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #12 on: 06/03/2016 10:26 pm »

Derrick was Elon's santury from the less informed media during Dragon 2. Elon also praising NSF in this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBaLYDbk4fY&feature=youtu.be&t=23m8s

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #13 on: 06/07/2016 04:03 am »

Derrick was Elon's santury from the less informed media during Dragon 2. Elon also praising NSF in this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBaLYDbk4fY&feature=youtu.be&t=23m8s

Seriously, that was far and away the best technical Q&A by a single reporter/attendee I've ever seen.  Wide ranging, well informed, and relevant without any of the emotional/experiential softball BS.  Fantastic.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
« Reply #14 on: 06/07/2016 05:53 am »
I am hoping/counting on a video being live-streamed or available shortly after Elons presentation. Any info on what we will get in that regard? Something like the Recodenet video would be fine.

Can't wait too see all those space nerds screaming and swooning like teenage girls at a Beatles concert in the 60s when Elon reveals his spacefaring architecture. I'll probably be one of them, but at home in front of my computer...

Offline starsilk

• Denver
  • Liked: 268
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #15 on: 06/10/2016 04:02 pm »
a few more teasers before the september reveal:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/06/10/elon-musk-provides-new-details-on-his-mind-blowing-mission-to-mars/

1 red dragon in 2018, 'at least 2' in 2020, then first flight of MCT in 2022...

Offline Halidon

• whereabouts unknown
  • Liked: 180
  • Likes Given: 533
« Reply #16 on: 06/10/2016 05:13 pm »
Methinks we're going to need an IAC Party Thread.

Offline Space Opera

• Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: 07/09/2016 10:47 am »
I'm up for a impromptu NSF-meetup on Sunday or Monday evening.
I'm in.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #18 on: 07/09/2016 10:03 pm »
a few more teasers before the september reveal:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/06/10/elon-musk-provides-new-details-on-his-mind-blowing-mission-to-mars/

1 red dragon in 2018, 'at least 2' in 2020, then first flight of MCT in 2022...

And not only that, SS2 might make a powered flight too!

OK, seriously.   I'm very excited about RD in 2018, but if it works, flying two in 2020 is underwhelming.  Not if you want MCT and people a couple of years afterwards. 
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline wes_wilson

• Armchair Rocketeer
  • Florida
    • Foundations IT, Inc.
  • Liked: 542
  • Likes Given: 377
« Reply #19 on: 07/09/2016 11:44 pm »
I'm up for a impromptu NSF-meetup on Sunday or Monday evening.
I'm in.

Question for those of you that signed up.  Are there limited tickets?  Or guaranteed admittance to the panels if you buy a ticket?  I've been to a few large conferences in the past (not Space) where the general ticket holders couldn't get into the large keynote panels.  Would love to go and have been thinking about it, but it's $$ and time off work.  Just curious if any of you know more than what's on the website about how much access attendees will have to the unveiling?

Thanks
@SpaceX "When can I buy my ticket to Mars?"

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography