Author Topic: Elon Musk I Am A - Jan 5, 2015  (Read 59350 times)

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
Elon Musk I Am A - Jan 5, 2015
« on: 01/04/2015 10:45 pm »
On the 5th of January 2015 at 9pm EST (2am UTC) Elon Musk will be doing a Reddit "I Am A".

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAMA

Direct link: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2rgsan/i_am_elon_musk_ceocto_of_a_rocket_company_ama/
« Last Edit: 01/06/2015 12:49 am by QuantumG »
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline Shanuson

• Liked: 327
  • Likes Given: 2542
Re: Elon Musk I Am A tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: 01/05/2015 08:37 am »
Someone should ask him about the point at which the gridfins will be deployed :D (see the lengthy discussion in the CRS5 discussioin threat)
Also how many launches does he think will SpaceX do in 2015, where will BFR be build and when can we currently expect the first F9R-dev2 flight, and where?

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #2 on: 01/05/2015 09:47 am »
Also, what type and how much refurbishment did the F9R-dev1 require inbetween launches?  How much does their experience with that system inform Elon's optimism with respect to SpaceX's ability to rapidly reuse F9 stages that are recovered?
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Online sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
« Reply #3 on: 01/05/2015 09:47 am »
Will this be one of those hideous "questions answered on video" things?
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline SkipMorrow

« Reply #4 on: 01/05/2015 09:51 am »
No, the reddit AMAs and IAMAs are answered in "real time", whatever that means on a forum like this. People post questions (anyone with a reddit account can participate), and the responder chooses which questions to answer, pretty much right away. It depends on the person, but some folks will answer just about every question, and others will only answer the highest rated questions.
Check out Chris Hadfield's AMA that he did from the ISS:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/18pik4/i_am_astronaut_chris_hadfield_currently_orbiting

Offline deruch

• California
« Reply #5 on: 01/05/2015 10:11 am »
Will this be one of those hideous "questions answered on video" things?

No.  People write in comments/questions.  Others can view all comments/questions and vote them up or down.  More popular ones move to the top.  Elon can answer any comment he wants regardless of how it is voted but the ones with the most upvotes are at the top of the page and easiest to see (assuming you're viewing the page as sorted by votes and not some other metric like "newest").  Everyone can see all responses.  Anyone can answer or comment on anyone else's comment or question.  Elon's responses will be highlighted because his account will be the Original Poster (OP).

IAmA posts usually must end with the acronym AMA (Ask Me Anything) or AMAA (ask me almost anything).  And people do.  Sometimes the answers people get in these are really indepth and full.  Sometimes they're superficial.  Sometimes the AMA turns into a bit of a trainwreck (usually when it's being used as a publicity event for something that ends up going off the rails because the internet doesn't want to stick to the script).  My guess is that Elon's will be somewhere between the first two.  It will be pretty popular because he is a key figure in 3 fields that are pretty popular with reddit: Solar power, electric cars and especially Tesla, and science/engineering (SpaceX).  Not to mention his general Tony Stark-ish celebrity and wealth, which will certainly draw lots of people as well.  Hopefully he'll choose to answer some questions that haven't been asked and answered in a million newpaper articles before.  But I wouldn't hold out too much hope.  The vast majority of the people that are reading the post and asking questions won't be anywhere near the close observers you'd get on a dedicated site like NSF or the SpaceX subreddit (/r/SpaceX).  So really good questions in any of the 3 fields are likely to be a bit drowned out. 

Honestly, for getting real questions answered it would be much better if it wasn't Elon but someone like Tom Mueller or Hans Konigsman.  They wouldn't be such a draw for casual questioners.  But I do think Elon would be more willing than those others to randomly let real information out.  If for no other reason than he's the guy in charge and can do what he wants.

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #6 on: 01/05/2015 10:20 am »
Also the SpaceX subreddit is doing a preliminary question thread for people to discuss questions to ask and up/downvote them so there will be three "vetted" questions from /r/SpaceX community that will be submitted to the IAMA thread by the moderators of /r/SpaceX.

Currently the top three in that thread cover Falcon Heavy core recovery by barge, MCT and Spacesuits.

Still, anyone can ask anything on the IAMA thread (and comment on anything). Others can then up/downvote the questions and comments, and the guest decides which to answer. Even if you can't think of or can't articulate a good question, you can participate by bumping up and down other questions, hopefully increasing the odds of getting an answer to something that interests you. Let's just hope the SpaceX Fan Brigade won't be too harsh in downvoting Tesla/Solar City questions into oblivion to get more space nerd stuff to the top :)

In theory the intent is that the guest would answer substantially all questions that received at least some amount of upvotes (since hey, he's there with "ask me anything"-sign, so he should answer...) but that's pretty much up to the guest. Naturally if a guest dodges highly upvoted "hard" question either by ignoring it or giving a non-answer, community will usually react appropriately and call him on that - some IAMAs have gone a bit off the rails when the guest was expecting softball stuff to the tune of fluffy TV interviews, got something else then decided to answer only the easy things, so in the end the IAMA thread has answers to maybe ten percent of the questions and everyone is calling out the guest on it.
« Last Edit: 01/05/2015 10:29 am by Jarnis »

Offline Tass

• Liked: 89
  • Likes Given: 208
« Reply #7 on: 01/05/2015 11:03 am »
Too bad it is at 3AM. I don't think I am going to stay up.

Offline deruch

• California
« Reply #8 on: 01/05/2015 11:07 am »
Also the SpaceX subreddit is doing a preliminary question thread for people to discuss questions to ask and up/downvote them so there will be three "vetted" questions from /r/SpaceX community that will be submitted to the IAMA thread by the moderators of /r/SpaceX.
<snip>

The SpaceX subreddit's preliminary question thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/2rbapx/rspacex_official_question_thread_for_elon_musks

Also: just to be clear, the questions will be submitted by the moderators of /r/SpaceX (with some sort of explicit statement I'm sure), but they aren't asking people to specifically upvote them or downvote others.  Vote brigading is a big no-no on reddit.
« Last Edit: 01/05/2015 12:43 pm by deruch »

Offline neoforce

• Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #9 on: 01/05/2015 12:04 pm »
If you are curious about AMAs...  There was a previous AMA with SpaceX software engineers last Feb.  Had some interesting information.  you can review that one at http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1853ap/we_are_spacex_software_engineers_we_launch/

Offline deruch

• California
« Reply #10 on: 01/05/2015 12:46 pm »
Too bad it is at 3AM. I don't think I am going to stay up.

You'll miss the "liveness" of it, and therefore probably not get a chance to have a question answered by Elon, but you'll still be able to read it.  And others could still answer or comment on it.

PS- If you, or anyone else, have a question you'd like asked, you can message me with it and I'll ask it for you.  Put AMA in the subject line.  No guarantee that it'll get answered though.
« Last Edit: 01/05/2015 01:53 pm by deruch »

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1453
  • Likes Given: 2379
Re: Elon Musk I Am A - Jan 5, 2015
« Reply #11 on: 01/05/2015 04:37 pm »
And he has just tweeted this AMA would be focused on launch  ;D
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline IslandPlaya

• Outer Hebrides
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 166
« Reply #12 on: 01/05/2015 04:41 pm »
What time is this UTC?
Thanks

Offline Raj2014

• United Kingdom
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 105
« Reply #13 on: 01/05/2015 04:49 pm »
On the 5th of January 2015 at 9pm EST (2am UTC) Elon Musk will be doing a Reddit "I Am A".

That link does not take you to the actual thread, here is the thread where you can post your questions.

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1453
  • Likes Given: 2379
« Reply #14 on: 01/05/2015 04:53 pm »
What time is this UTC?
Thanks

2AM UTC

That link does not take you to the actual thread, here is the thread where you can post your questions.

No no. That is SpaceX community (reddit.com/r/SpaceX) organizing itself to ask questions collectively :) The link to actual AMA would appear at 9 PM EST on reddit.com/r/IAmA
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline Raj2014

• United Kingdom
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 105
« Reply #15 on: 01/05/2015 04:57 pm »
What time is this UTC?
Thanks

2AM UTC

No no. That is SpaceX community (reddit.com/r/SpaceX) organizing itself to ask questions collectively :) The link to actual AMA would appear at 9 PM EST on reddit.com/r/IAmA

Yes, I just checked, did not notice before that small grey banner saying "This site is fan-run and not an official SpaceX site. For official SpaceX news, please visit spacex.com"
« Last Edit: 01/05/2015 04:57 pm by Raj2014 »

Offline SkipMorrow

« Reply #16 on: 01/05/2015 06:26 pm »
I would suggest that if you have questions to ask, that you write them ahead of time in notepad or something, and then as soon as the thread goes live, paste your questions in. What often happens is that the questions that get asked early get upvoted the most, giving them the greatest visibility.

Also, that would mean that if you are new to Reddit that you also get your account created before the actual event.

Offline somepitch

• Vancouver
  • Liked: 198
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #17 on: 01/05/2015 06:28 pm »
We should coordinate some upvoting for NSF questions...

Offline SkipMorrow

« Reply #18 on: 01/05/2015 08:15 pm »
I'm at a loss to come up with anything to ask him. Pretty much anything I am interested in can be (and usually is) answered here.

Offline dror

• Israel
  • Liked: 245
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #19 on: 01/05/2015 08:20 pm »
@Deruch - Thanks for the opportunity ! :)
I PMed you with the following massage :

I probably won't be able to participate in the IAMA, but I have some things I would like to ask about, and would be grateful if you could post it for me:

Does SpaceX plan to expand the Raptor engine family into lower thrust levels?
Or maybe more specifically-
is it possible that sometime in the future spacex will develop a methane fueled LV that would replace F9 and FH?

Does Spacex plan to expand it's activities into actual production and operation of space related applications, specifically meaning satellites  and Habitats?

Of course, it won't be unthinkable to ask him for a guess at our polls-  how many flights in 2015? How many recovered cores?
What are spacex milestones on the way to mars?

Thanks again!

I'm not an English speaker so my grammar may be a bit off :-\ corrections and editing are welcomed :)
Space is hard immensely complex and high risk !

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography