Author Topic: Shuttle Q&A Part 5  (Read 1542568 times)

Offline daschmid

• Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Shuttle Q&A Part 5
« Reply #3580 on: 01/15/2019 08:27 pm »
What did the Shuttle GLS user interface look like?

I'm building a simulator for the CCMS.  I have a lot very detailed info on the OS and base applications (including the GOAL executor and FEPs) and even a pretty good idea how the GLS works (based on S0007 and the various GLSDD's that are floating around).  Surprisingly, there's virtually no information out there about what the actual screens the console operators interacted with look like.  I've found a single youtube video that briefly shows half of a barely visible screen here:

(skip to 12 minutes in)

From this video and a bit of guesswork I've reconstructed the display in the attached image.  Does anyone know how accurate this is, and what should be on the right side of the screen?

A couple more specific questions:

- It looks to me like the top section with the timers is constant across all GLS displays, and the lower section is replaced depending on the particular GOAL program you're interacting with (SLP07 in this case).  Is this right?

- what do the marks under the VFY/MIP/LIP columns signify?  I'm assuming the columns correspond to the state of mainline verifies, the mainline interrupt processor and LCC interrupt processors? Does it signify if there's a violation for that milestone?

- what does 'ML REVERIFICATION' do?  Is it a user invokable action?

- I'm guessing the 'BFS' and the top center is indicating the current ops?  Should there be a matching 'PASS' mode next to it?

- Although it's hard to see in the source image, above 'LAST HOLD' it looks like 'CPERS', which would be 'contingent performs'?  Is that indicating whether any CPERS are currently running?

- similar to CPERS, I *think* that's 'TB0' in the lower right box, which would be 'Timebase zero'?  is that just a display, or is it indicating something else?

These are pretty obscure details to be worrying about, but I'm basically looking for any info to make this as accurate as possible.   Any insight on what this or other GLS screens should look like or how they behave is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Bismuth

• Harrisburg
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3581 on: 01/16/2019 10:18 pm »
Topic, this is hard to explain.
I'm looking for information on the skylab-like units they put in the shuttle bay which they could connect to the hatch and work in a pressurized environment.   These units stay in the shuttle bay.  Am I thinking incorrectly here and the shuttles launched satellites and/or connected to mir/ISS every mission?

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Last Edit: 01/16/2019 10:34 pm by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Bismuth

• Harrisburg
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3583 on: 01/16/2019 10:30 pm »
Perfect!  I think it would be way too much to ask to pressurize the whole bay so I'd think they had units to fit in the bay that were pressurized.   Also I've seen the shuttle cockpit and the "locker" room below, so it would be nice to stretch your legs in that sucker.
« Last Edit: 01/16/2019 10:35 pm by Bismuth »

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #3584 on: 01/16/2019 10:37 pm »
Perfect!  I think it would be way too much to ask to pressurize the whole bay so I'd think they had units to fit in the bay that were pressurized.   Also I've seen the shuttle cockpit and the "locker" room below, so it would be nice to stretch your legs in that sucker.
One of our NSF members Jim worked the Spacehab missions 8)
« Last Edit: 01/16/2019 10:37 pm by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline ngilmore

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #3585 on: 01/16/2019 10:49 pm »
A SpaceHab module is on display at the California Science Center in Los Angeles.

https://californiasciencecenter.org/exhibits/air-space/space-shuttle-endeavour/spacehab
« Last Edit: 01/16/2019 10:50 pm by ngilmore »

Offline ngilmore

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #3586 on: 01/16/2019 10:54 pm »
Of interest to the OP:

On some missions, two modules were flown together to make a SPACEHAB Logistics Double Module, providing more room for experiments and storage.

https://californiasciencecenter.org/exhibits/air-space/space-shuttle-endeavour/spacehab

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18201
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #3587 on: 01/17/2019 11:55 am »
Topic, this is hard to explain.
I'm looking for information on the skylab-like units they put in the shuttle bay which they could connect to the hatch and work in a pressurized environment.   These units stay in the shuttle bay.  Am I thinking incorrectly here and the shuttles launched satellites and/or connected to mir/ISS every mission?

I've noticed you've begun asking lots of question all over this forum. And you create a thread for each question.
No offense, but that is not how this forum works.
Specifically for the type of questions you aks there is a Questions & Answers section in this forum: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=36.0

I strongly suggest you take your questions there.

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #3588 on: 01/19/2019 12:37 am »
SpaceHAB related question: On which missions was either or both of the XO576 bulkhead CCTV cameras (A/D) moved to the aft bulkhead of the SpaceHAB? Two missions I'm aware of are STS-95 (both cameras relocated) and STS-107 (camera D relocated the left camera platform of the SpaceHAB), but where there any others? And what was the reason for relocating these cameras?
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #3589 on: 01/21/2019 07:45 pm »
SpaceHAB related question: On which missions was either or both of the XO576 bulkhead CCTV cameras (A/D) moved to the aft bulkhead of the SpaceHAB? Two missions I'm aware of are STS-95 (both cameras relocated) and STS-107 (camera D relocated the left camera platform of the SpaceHAB), but where there any others? And what was the reason for relocating these cameras?

STS-57, 60, 63, 77.   The module blocked the view of the cameras for items behind the module

Online DaveS

• Sweden
« Reply #3590 on: 01/22/2019 01:48 am »

STS-57, 60, 63, 77.   The module blocked the view of the cameras for items behind the module
Thanks for the answers. Was there anything special they wanted to keep an eye on during those missions? On a similar tangent: The RMS end effector camera, was it different in any way from the other cameras that were mounted on PTUs? Or was it bog standard, just not mounted on a PTU?

-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Online DaveS

• Sweden
« Reply #3591 on: 02/08/2019 08:57 pm »
Can someone confirm that the forward-most edge of the PLBD forward curvature are located at XO576 and the aft-most edge where they meet the mid-fuselage is at XO582?

Offline penguin44

• Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 334
« Reply #3592 on: 02/08/2019 09:03 pm »
I can at least confirm that where they meet at mid-fuselage is indeed  Xo582

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #3593 on: 02/09/2019 01:23 am »

Thanks for the answers. Was there anything special they wanted to keep an eye on during those missions?

Payloads to be deployed/retrieved by the RMS, for which the cameras gave orthogonal views during berthing/unberthing and capture:
57 - EURECA
60 - WSF
63 - SPARTAN
77 - SPARTAN/IAE

On a similar tangent: The RMS end effector camera, was it different in any way from the other cameras that were mounted on PTUs? Or was it bog standard, just not mounted on a PTU?

IIRC, the EE camera was mostly bog-standard except that it also had fixed zoom, to avoid confusing the RMS capture cues. The PTU-mounted cameras had variable zoom.
JRF

Online DaveS

• Sweden
« Reply #3594 on: 02/09/2019 12:03 pm »
Thanks for the answers Jorge. When you say that the EE camera had a fixed zoom do you mean that its FoV couldn't be altered? I'm pretty sure that it could as I have seen EE camera do this on numerous occasions.
« Last Edit: 02/09/2019 12:44 pm by DaveS »

Offline Fequalsma

• Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3595 on: 02/17/2019 06:02 pm »
Forward PLBD apex Xo=574.2, base Xo=583.4. Aft apex/base Xo=1306.9
F=ma

EDIT: this TM reports these numbers: Forward PLBD apex Xo=574.09, base Xo=579.30.
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19920011434.pdf

Can someone confirm that the forward-most edge of the PLBD forward curvature are located at XO576 and the aft-most edge where they meet the mid-fuselage is at XO582?
« Last Edit: 02/17/2019 07:45 pm by Fequalsma »

Offline matain

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3596 on: 03/03/2019 06:58 am »
I seem to remember soome footage of a Big Wing Canberra that was going to be monitoring Discovery's descent--flying 'chase'.Anyone have any links?
« Last Edit: 03/03/2019 06:59 am by matain »

Offline joema

• Regular
  • Liked: 74
« Reply #3597 on: 03/10/2019 10:50 pm »
I seem to remember soome footage of a Big Wing Canberra that was going to be monitoring Discovery's descent--flying 'chase'.Anyone have any links?

STS-114 ascent video by a WB-57F at 50,000 ft:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NASA_WB-57F_(NASA_928)_with_WB-57_Ascent_Video_Experiment.jpg
https://airbornescience.nasa.gov/instrument/WAVE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin/General_Dynamics_RB-57F_Canberra

For such a specialized effort, it doesn't look that good. They were apparently having stabilization problems.
« Last Edit: 03/10/2019 10:50 pm by joema »

Online DaveS

• Sweden
« Reply #3598 on: 03/15/2019 10:51 am »
Anyone know what happened to Atlantis's ET umbilical well doors? They were removed in the OPF and a Ferry Flight Door set was installed in their place but what became of the actual flight ET umbilical well doors? I have attached the very last photo of them after they had been disconnected and removed from the orbiter.
« Last Edit: 03/15/2019 10:52 am by DaveS »

Online DaveS

• Sweden
« Reply #3599 on: 03/25/2019 08:16 pm »
And SRM question: The case stiffener rings that were on the aft motor segment, were they pre-installed at the factory or at the launch site? The foam and the large outer rings were just additional covering correct? These were not going to present on the FWC aft motor segments, is this also correct?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography