Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 CRS-3 Splashdown Video Repair Task Thread  (Read 1201781 times)

Offline CuddlyRocket

As Lar said. Get it shared. So many of you on twitter here and sit on your hands. Boooooooooooo!

(Although this is doing well on twitter already).

It would have done even better if you'd put #SpaceX instead of SpaceX! (I copied your tweet rather than retweeting it so I could do just that.)

Online Chris Bergin

As Lar said. Get it shared. So many of you on twitter here and sit on your hands. Boooooooooooo!

(Although this is doing well on twitter already).

It would have done even better if you'd put #SpaceX instead of SpaceX! (I copied your tweet rather than retweeting it so I could do just that.)

I never thought it made a difference. Besides, I don't want to turn into one of "those" people! ;D

#bollocks

Doing well anyway. Lots and lots of mentions on twitter. Article has 43,000 reads so far.
« Last Edit: 06/27/2014 11:45 am by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline SpaceX_MS

• Liked: 10292
  • Likes Given: 138
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 CRS-3 Splashdown Video Repair Task Thread
« Reply #1802 on: 06/27/2014 01:44 pm »
Here's the technical feature article - by the team's Lourens Veen!

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/06/recovering-falcon-9-ocean-landing-video-done/

Incredible work guys. Everyone here is full of admiration and thanks.

Offline pagheca

• Bayesian Pundit. Maybe.
  • Lives in Ivory, Tower
  • Liked: 220
  • Likes Given: 161
« Reply #1803 on: 06/27/2014 03:01 pm »
Hi guys,

I just got T-shirts from SpaceX.  8)

Gave me goosebumps. Really worth all the effort.

Regards,

arnezami

So, where is the picture of the SpaceX t-shirt??? :)

Congratulations everyone.

Like so many people everywhere, I'm amazed by how much knowledge and passion you all put in this. It's really one of the most "stellar" example of "crowd-science" or whatever you want to call it, ever.

I would really like to see the same model of operation into other kind of analysis and efforts. There is a huge potential for people to be involved, for example, in the analysis of major scientific databases that can't be done because of lack of resource and time.

And be careful: apparently you can use SpaceX t-shirts only once. If you wash it in water the picture... fades.
« Last Edit: 06/27/2014 03:24 pm by pagheca »

Online Chris Bergin

Here we go..... ;D
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline luinil

SpaceX sharing the love on Google+ too =)

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381
« Reply #1806 on: 06/27/2014 08:13 pm »
And Facebook too: https://www.facebook.com/SpaceX
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Online Chris Bergin

>John Kevin Cardinal I've been lurking on Nasaspaceflight for a couple of years. It's an amazing community - truly impressive. This is one of the best examples of tech crowd sourcing I've ever seen!<

I like him. ;D

Offline mhenderson

• USA
  • Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #1808 on: 06/27/2014 08:45 pm »
"HOW MUCH EFFORT DID THIS TAKE?"

Following are the results of a poll. The purpose was to make an estimate of how many hours of effort -- in very rough terms -- went into the SpaceX CRS-3 booster landing video repair effort. The survey documents 2,800 estimated hours of effort by the core contributors to the effort. Beyond that, many more thousands of hours were invested by uncredited users and lurkers.

I posted three requests on the NasaSpaceFlight.com forum used by the team. In those requests, I asked contributors to privately estimate the number of hours they spent on this activity. I promised information will remain anonymous and that their input would be used to paint a picture in broad strokes of the project effort. To encourage participation, respondents were told it was fine to submit "guesstimates" and broad range estimates. Non contributing users were encouraged to submit their time estimate, too.

Respondents were given no guidance on what qualified as an hour of work. This may contribute to undercounting as at least one commenter took care to distinguish "12 hours of actual work" from time spent surfing / reading. Another commenter explicitly estimated both types of effort and that total was included in this tally. It is difficult to draw a line when the activity is a labor of love. And besides, "goofing off" (a.k.a. online research and team cohesion) played an important role in the overall effort.

Twenty one users responded to the request.  Respondents can be independently divided into three cohorts: 12 from the "chosen fifteen", seven from the "next 24 credited users" and two from "uncredited users". Most included a brief comment along with their number or range, those comments are listed below.

If the respondent reported a range of estimated hours, the midpoint of that range was used as their estimate.

Cohort         Responses     Avg Hrs        Extrapolated Total Hrs
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chosen 15       12 (80%)     109.7        1645 
Next 24             7 (29%)      49.3          1183
Uncredited        2 (N/A)        12.5          not estimated, but quite large
Lurkers             -                     -             unknowable, but extremely large

CHOSEN 15
From this data set, we can see that the "80:20" rule is alive and well; a good chunk of the work effort was contributed by a committed core, and they were supported by a broader group of lesser contributors. Fifteen users had previously been identified by a peer vote to determine which contributors should received a thank you gift from SpaceX. Twelve of the "chosen 15", or 80%, responded to the survey. Reported total hours for this cohort were 1316, or 109.7 hours each.  By simple extrapolation, the non reporting users would increase the "chosen 15's" estimate to 1645 hours.

NEXT 24
The credits at the end of the video identify 39 userids as contributors - that list includes the "chosen 15" plus 24 others. Among the "next 24" seven users, or 29%, responded with estimates. Those seven users reported working a total of 345 hours, an average of 49.3 each. Again by simple extrapolation, the "24 others" groups estimated total effort is 1020 hours. Self-selection bias is always problematic in this sort of survey, and this relies on an assumption that respondents are representative of the others. If this selection is skewed toward heavy contributors who stuck around to the very end, then the total hours estimate for the "next 24" could be a bit high.

UNCREDITED USERS
There is a large body of "uncredited users". Application software and online tools were available. Some offered suggestions and many, many tried their hand at the online tool. And yet they never achieved results they actually submitted, or they submitted results anonymously. The survey only received two responses from this silent cohort. Those individuals reported spending 25 hours, an average of 12.5 hours per respondent.

Any extrapolation from these few responses to the whole would be purely speculative. And yet it is not unreasonable to conclude that the uncredited effort was very, very large.  I suspect that web server statistics from the online tool could provide a better basis for a meaningful estimate; perhaps information such as the number of ip addresses and the number of images served to each address could begin to approximate that effort.

LURKERS
The final category of people are "lurkers" who contributed a level of enthusiasm to the project -- a cheering section for the gladiators. No responses were received (because simply responding would make them an uncredited user.) The project has been a viral, highly open activity. The forum has been visited more than 360,000 times, if each user dwelled on a page for one minute per pageview (a conservative estimate) simply reading the forum accounts for 6,000 hours of "effort". A second discussion thread was created on NasaSpaceFlight.com to provide a separate place for interpretation of the emerging images. The discussion thread has served 22,500 pageviews or another 375 hours using the one minute per pageview estimate. Because the video was regularly pushed to a YouTube channel, various iterations of the short video were viewed repeatedly, I have not compiled any statistics from that site. Discussion threads on competing websites were active with commentary and kudos to the team.

Comments
In addition to the hours estimates, many respondents provided comments. A selection of these are provided below.

* "According to your final request on the number of hours : I played with the online editor, and followed the technical discussions, and rehearsed a bit about MPEG-4 FEC. 1 or 2 hours on the editor. 1 or two hours googling on FEC. hours on the thread ? 5-20, very imprecise!"

* "Thanks to all for this wonderful work. Thanks to you for accounting. I think this might become a reference for studies of crowdfunding as a method os undirected self-organisation for work. And I'd really love to hear what the results are!"

* "50-100 hours. Would have been more but I'm trying to finish up grad school."

* "~12 hours of actual work.  Countless hours of job time wasted following developments, goofing around with the online editors, and playing with ffmpeg."

* "Reading all posts alone will add up into the 50 or so hours. Pitching in will add about another 15 hours orso. Rough guesstimate. :) "

* "I think I spent roughly 75 hours on this project, mostly fixing alignment in iframes. Might be more, I kinda lost track of time :) Should be in the 50-100 hours category, though. Thanks for starting this poll, I'm curious to see the results :D "

* "I guess 200-500 hours for me. But it's hard to say: I spent so many hours (at work) just thinking about certain problems. If you count those its much more. ;) "
« Last Edit: 06/28/2014 12:22 pm by mhenderson »

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #1809 on: 06/27/2014 08:50 pm »

>John Kevin Cardinal I've been lurking on Nasaspaceflight for a couple of years. It's an amazing community - truly impressive. This is one of the best examples of tech crowd sourcing I've ever seen!<

I like him. ;D

congrats..  now to get Elon to RT

Offline Quialiss

• Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #1810 on: 06/27/2014 09:08 pm »
"HOW MUCH EFFORT DID THIS TAKE?"

Now there's a post-mortem!  Thanks for collecting this data, it's fascinating to see how much time everyone put into this.  Amusingly, after being so involved in the project with everyone here, I can tell who more than a few of those comments came from.  ;D

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #1811 on: 06/27/2014 09:25 pm »
The next mission for the gifted team at NSF will be where “all the king’s horses and all the king’s men” failed and put Humpty Dumpty back together again... ;D
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Seattle Dave

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #1812 on: 06/27/2014 09:30 pm »
The next mission for the gifted team at NSF will be where “all the king’s horses and all the king’s men” failed and put Humpty Dumpty back together again... ;D

I'm with the FBI and I think we'll be calling on these guy's services!

Offline arnezami

• Liked: 267
  • Likes Given: 378
« Reply #1813 on: 06/27/2014 10:11 pm »
Hi guys,

I just got T-shirts from SpaceX.  8)

Gave me goosebumps. Really worth all the effort.

Regards,

arnezami

So, where is the picture of the SpaceX t-shirt??? :)

Congratulations everyone.

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1303
  • Likes Given: 1685
« Reply #1814 on: 06/28/2014 12:43 am »
I wore that T-shirt on June 13 in McGregor, as it happens. :)
« Last Edit: 06/28/2014 01:27 am by mvpel »
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline CuddlyRocket

I wore that T-shirt on June 13 in McGregor, as it happens. :)

I hope they washed it before they sent it to arnezami!

Offline Jcc

• Liked: 404
  • Likes Given: 203
« Reply #1816 on: 06/29/2014 01:38 pm »
Here's the technical feature article - by the team's Lourens Veen!

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/06/recovering-falcon-9-ocean-landing-video-done/

Incredible work guys. Everyone here is full of admiration and thanks.

What I would like to see is how the video is being used, and what has been learned from it.
For instance, it looks like the legs deployed with a slight bounce or wobble before stiffening, was that expected?
Can you tell how deeply the stage entered the water before the video ended?

Oops, just noticed the video interpretation thread, excellent!
« Last Edit: 06/29/2014 01:55 pm by Jcc »

Offline mhenderson

• USA
  • Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #1817 on: 06/29/2014 05:50 pm »
2800 hours = 10,080,000 seconds.

I just realized the 20 second video took over ten million seconds of core team effort to repair.

That's 504,000 seconds of effort per second of repaired video.
« Last Edit: 06/29/2014 05:51 pm by mhenderson »

Offline aero

• Liked: 1146
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #1818 on: 06/29/2014 06:23 pm »
2800 hours = 10,080,000 seconds.

I just realized the 20 second video took over ten million seconds of core team effort to repair.

That's 504,000 seconds of effort per second of repaired video.

Yes, but how much time is it per repaired pixel? And if that is still to big a number then how much time is it per repaired bit?
Retired, working interesting problems

Offline Swatch

• Official Aerospace Engineer as of June 13th, 2009
  • Cincinnati
    • ProjectApollo/NASSP: Virtual Systems and Flight Simulation of the Apollo Program
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #1819 on: 06/29/2014 07:53 pm »
Or better yet... how many hours per MegaBlock... that seems to have been the defining unit of modification for this project. :)
Ex-Rocket Scientist in Training, now Rocket Scientist!
M-F trying to make the world of the future a smaller place through expanding horizons...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography