Author Topic: Mars sample return  (Read 33663 times)

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7392
  • Likes Given: 72420
Re: Mars sample return
« Reply #100 on: 03/12/2019 09:55 pm »
Belated post; follow-on posts up-thread:
ESA and NASA to Investigate Bringing Martian Soil to Earth, dated April 26, 2018

ESA and NASA signed a statement of intent today to explore concepts for missions to bring samples of martian soil to Earth.

I'd note that we've heard almost nothing about this since then. I don't necessarily think that's a bad sign, but it does raise the question of what has been going on behind closed doors.

Cross-post re: timing:
Amidst Cuts to NASA, Mars Sample Return May Finally Happen

<snip>
A third mission would rendezvous with the orbiting samples and return them to Earth. [my bold]ESA is considering a major contribution to that third spacecraft, with a decision due later this year.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: 03/12/2019 09:58 pm »
FYI, I started a new thread in the Mars missions sub-forum for Mars Sample Return: NASA - Mars Sample Return mission

I did so predicated on the notion that the funding is for a "new start."  If not, then, if best, that new thread can be merged with this existing thread.

EDITed
« Last Edit: 03/13/2019 07:05 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7823
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #102 on: 03/13/2019 01:07 am »
FYI, I started a new thread in the Mars missions sub-forum for Mars Sample Return: NASA - Mars Sample Return (perhaps ESA, too?)

I did so predicated on the notion that the funding is for a "new start."  If not, then, if best, that new thread can be merged with this existing thread.

That's an awkward title for a thread.

Offline theinternetftw

• www.theinternetftw.com
  • Liked: 2195
  • Likes Given: 1000
« Reply #103 on: 03/13/2019 02:29 am »
Reported FY20 MSR funding is $190M.  Seems enough to do some serious mission definition and technology advancement.  I think there was $50M in FY19.

The key is whether or not MSR is proposed as a new start or the money is simply in a technology fund.  The former, if approved by Congress, makes it a formal project; the latter leaves it as a goal for future approval.

Was the $190M funding figure a typo? This article cites $109M.

Edit: I also vaguely remember (please check me) that said money was technically set aside as the total funds allocated for a "Mars Future" line item, i.e. a bag for everything after Mars 2020.  Unfortunately (and sadly), such a bag may well be filled with MSR and no other projects, save perhaps some conceptual or technological development fare.

Edit 2: From the budget teleconference:

ANDREW HUNTER: We have $109 million allocated in '20 for future Mars activities, the majority of which would be applied to the Mars Sample Return Mission to begin early formulation there, and yes, that would be dovetailed with the Mars 2020, which would deposit a cached samples so that the Mars Sample Return would retrieve.

Also related:

LOREN GRUSH (The Verge): Hi. Thanks for taking my question again. I'm also curious about—
are there any plans to replace our current infrastructure at Mars in advance of the Mars Sample
Return Mission such as new communication satellites that are aging and orbiter on Mars right
now?
ANDREW HUNTER: Not at this time. Not in this budget.
« Last Edit: 03/13/2019 04:58 am by theinternetftw »

Offline vjkane

• Liked: 617
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #104 on: 03/13/2019 02:27 pm »
Reported FY20 MSR funding is $190M.  Seems enough to do some serious mission definition and technology advancement.  I think there was $50M in FY19.

The key is whether or not MSR is proposed as a new start or the money is simply in a technology fund.  The former, if approved by Congress, makes it a formal project; the latter leaves it as a goal for future approval.

Was the $190M funding figure a typo? This article cites $109M.
[/quote]
Yep, a typo.  Spellcheck saves me for words, but not for figures.  Thanks for the correction

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #105 on: 03/13/2019 07:03 pm »
FYI, I started a new thread in the Mars missions sub-forum for Mars Sample Return: NASA - Mars Sample Return (perhaps ESA, too?)

That's an awkward title for a thread.

I edited the thread title, guided by KISS (Keep It Simple, Silly).  Thanks for the editorial suggestion!

:) I want to observe the stars all night/
And launch rockets every day! :)

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: 07/29/2020 05:20 pm »
Discussion and updates are now in NASA/ESA - Mars Sample Return mission.
New thread is in the MSL and Mars 2020 sub-forum.
« Last Edit: 07/30/2020 03:22 am by zubenelgenubi »

Tags: Mars 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography