Author Topic: Kirk Shireman becomes new manager of the ISS Program  (Read 9186 times)

Online Chris Bergin

NASA's lost Suff! Kirk is brilliant, but so was Mike.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/03/commercial-crew-demo-missions-dragon-cst-100/

And presser:

August 05, 2015
RELEASE 15-166
NASA Names New Manager of International Space Station Program
[15-166.jpg] 

Kirk Shireman has been named manager of NASA's International Space Station Program.

Credits: NASA

NASA’s springboard for discovery, innovation and deep space exploration has a new chief. The agency has named Kirk Shireman as the new manager of its International Space Station (ISS) Program, based at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston, where Shireman has served as deputy center director since 2013.

"Kirk brings considerable space station experience to this new leadership role. He will manage the overall development, integration and operation of the program,” said William Gerstenmaier, associate administrator for NASA’s Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate in Washington. “As program manager, Kirk will work directly with international partners to ensure safe and reliable operation of the orbiting laboratory, and foster continued scientific research that benefits humanity and helps prepare the agency for its journey to Mars.”

Shireman served as deputy ISS program manager from 2006 to 2013, just prior to stepping into the position of deputy center director. He also served as the chair of the ISS Mission Management Team after managing several of its subsystem offices, and managed multiple offices for NASA’s Space Shuttle Program. He earned a bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering from Texas A&M University in College Station and began his career with NASA in 1985.

NASA has recognized Shireman with the agency’s Exceptional Achievement Medal, Silver Snoopy award in 1990 and Presidential Rank Award in 2010. In 2013, the National Space Club awarded Shireman its Eagle Manned Mission Award for his outstanding leadership of the International Space Station.

Shireman succeeds Michael Suffredini, who is leaving the agency to take a position in private industry.

“During Mike’s tenure, the international project successfully completed construction and transitioned into a fully functional microgravity laboratory,” Gerstenmaier said. “Under his leadership, the station opened avenues for a new commercial marketplace in space and established a platform for groundbreaking research.”

Since Suffredini became program manager in 2005, the space station has evolved to become the jumping-off point for NASA's next giant leap in exploration, enabling research and technology developments that will benefit human and robotic exploration of destinations beyond low-Earth orbit, including asteroids and Mars. To date, more than 1,700 research experiments have been conducted aboard the station, bringing together researchers from more than 80 countries in an effort to better the lives of all humanity.

Suffredini joined NASA in January 1989. He has a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering from the University of Texas at Austin.

For more information about the International Space Station, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/station
« Last Edit: 08/06/2015 02:43 am by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
Re: Kirk Shireman becomes new manager of the ISS Program
« Reply #1 on: 08/05/2015 10:18 pm »
Dang it.  I am really going miss Suffredini.  Whenever he was doing a presser, I would be sure to listen to his words extremely closely, because they are worth their weight in gold.  I can only hope that Shireman can fill the role as well as Suffredini did.  At least Suffredini will now get a decent paycheck for his efforts.
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Online Chris Bergin

Dang it.  I am really going miss Suffredini.  Whenever he was doing a presser, I would be sure to listen to his words extremely closely, because they are worth their weight in gold.  I can only hope that Shireman can fill the role as well as Suffredini did.  At least Suffredini will now get a decent paycheck for his efforts.

Was just mentioning on Twitter that his pressers were amazing. Up there with listening to Wayne Hale. Technical, but he translated it so well.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

Very apt responses from an ISS Flight Controller:

Ben Honey ‏@spaceguy87  4m4 minutes ago
@NASASpaceflight he was very sincerely emotional about leaving at an all hands today.

Ben Honey ‏@spaceguy87  2m2 minutes ago
@NASASpaceflight he also got a standing ovation.

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 970
« Reply #4 on: 08/05/2015 10:23 pm »
Going to miss Mike. Where's he going? Would be fun to see him run SpaceX commercial Crew and Cargo operations. But then, where does one go after managing an entire Space Station?

He was so good during the press conferences and genuinely excited about what the commercial partners were doing and how NASA could better help foster that effort.

I wish him all the best.
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1138
« Reply #5 on: 08/05/2015 11:03 pm »
Going to miss Mike. Where's he going? Would be fun to see him run SpaceX commercial Crew and Cargo operations. But then, where does one go after managing an entire Space Station?

He was so good during the press conferences and genuinely excited about what the commercial partners were doing and how NASA could better help foster that effort.

I wish him all the best.

I believe he is barred by US law (revolving door), at least for a period of time, from working in any position associated with any program over which he had management or contract award responsibility.  Because he managed the entire ISS program, it's hard to see a way he could be employed by the division of any Company associated directly with ISS. He could work for a Commercial Imaging or the Military Satellite Support division of a such a company though.
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline xpete

• Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: 08/06/2015 01:18 am »
Going to miss Mike too.
My guess about where he is going: Bigelow.
They are hiring and they are building a Space Station.

Online Chris Bergin

« Last Edit: 08/06/2015 02:48 am by Chris Bergin »

Online DwightM

• Veteran
  • Valdez, AK
  • Liked: 713
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #8 on: 08/06/2015 04:50 am »

Was just mentioning on Twitter that his pressers were amazing. Up there with listening to Wayne Hale. Technical, but he translated it so well.
One of my favorite moments was when a reporter suggested, as part of a question, using a vacuum to clean the particles on the Solar Alpha Rotary Joint.  In dutifully answering the question Mike paused and said something like - we can discuss using a vacuum cleaner in a vacuum at some other time.  Patient man he is, he'll be missed.  Congrats to Mr. Shireman!

Offline eric z

• Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 2127
« Reply #9 on: 08/06/2015 12:15 pm »
   I would like to say a big "Thank You" to Mr. Suffredini for his fantastic service to the ISS program, NASA and the international partnership---he is one of those unsung heroes that space historians in the future will credit for the success of this very important project. I loved listening to his briefings on various issues that came up the last few years, and wish him good luck and health for the future. Maybe we will see him again in a top leadership position at the agency!

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #10 on: 08/06/2015 02:21 pm »
I met with Michael Suffredini once on Baikonur. It was very friendly man. Very clever man, with knowledge.
« Last Edit: 08/06/2015 02:21 pm by anik »

Offline Space Pete

I can't believe Mike is going. So much talent is walking out of NASA lately. :(

ISS anomaly pressers just won't be the same without Mike. His ice cool, in-depth understanding of the complex issues at hand were always fascinating to listen to.

To me, Mike epitomises what a great engineer should be - unflappable, analytical, and never out of options. His attitude to solving issues - don't panic, first do no harm, go away and understand your data, come up with a plan, retire the risks, then go execute - to me embodies all that is great about the ISS program, and indeed NASA as a whole.

When Mike came into the ISS program it was in disarray after Columbia, with some speculating that it may never be finished at all. During his tenure he oversaw the safe construction of arguably the most complex structure mankind has ever put together, and its transition from a construction site to a world-class science laboratory. Of course, it wasn't all down to Mike alone, but he stuck it out when the going got tough, and always made the right calls for the program, rather than for schedule, budget, or politics.

So thanks "Suff" for your service, and good luck to Kirk who now takes his place.
« Last Edit: 08/06/2015 03:28 pm by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Space Pete

BTW, you can all follow Kirk Shireman on Twitter @NASA_Kirk.

https://twitter.com/NASA_Kirk

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #13 on: 08/07/2015 01:10 am »
Thank you for the great article Chris. :) I’m sorry to see Mike go but I’m sure he left quite an imprint on NASA and the ISS program and set the bar high.  Good luck to him on his future endeavors and to Kirk as he takes on his new responsibilities.
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Online Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10199
  • Likes Given: 11929
« Reply #14 on: 08/07/2015 01:57 am »
I can't believe Mike is going. So much talent is walking out of NASA lately. :(

From what I could see he was definitely a good person to have in that position, and I wish him well.

Regarding talent walking out of NASA though, the silver lining part of that is that the future Mike's now have an opportunity to move up a rung in the organization, and get closer to their time in the limelight.  In other words, churn in an organization is a good thing if it encourages people to stick around, but lack of upward mobility can cause good people in the lower levels to leave.

My $0.02
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Online Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #15 on: 08/07/2015 05:24 am »
So, any bets where Mike will turn up after his "Gardening Leave" (non-compete "holiday")?

Offline mfck

• Office Plankton Representative
  • Israel
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 222
« Reply #16 on: 08/07/2015 01:39 pm »
Going to miss Mike too.
My guess about where he is going: Bigelow.
They are hiring and they are building a Space Station.

So, any bets where Mike will turn up after his "Gardening Leave" (non-compete "holiday")?
I would love to see him at BA. That would mean real business for much more than just BA itself.

Offline msat

• The Air Capital
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #17 on: 08/07/2015 08:44 pm »
Man... I just heard about him leaving and was hoping to find some information about where he's going. It only takes a few seconds of hearing him talk to realize that the man is brilliant. There's no doubt in my mind that he'd be a valuable asset to any high-tech company. We can only hope that his new position is at least somewhat public-facing - he's just such an amazing speaker.

Online Chris Bergin

Thank you for the great article Chris. :) I’m sorry to see Mike go but I’m sure he left quite an imprint on NASA and the ISS program and set the bar high.  Good luck to him on his future endeavors and to Kirk as he takes on his new responsibilities.

You're welcome and good comments on here!

Offline Space Pete

Here's a good interview with Suff following his departure from NASA:

INTERVIEW: Space Station chief expresses disappointment with Congress, recalls hairiest moments and speculates on how long ISS will fly
http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2015/08/interview-space-station-chief-expresses-disappointment-with-congress-recalls-hairiest-moments-and-speculates-on-how-long-iss-will-fly/

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography