Author Topic: NASA Unveiling New Rocket Integration Facility At Wallops  (Read 19428 times)

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8563
  • Likes Given: 320
MEDIA ADVISORY: M11-007

NASA UNVEILING NEW ROCKET INTEGRATION FACILITY AT WALLOPS

WASHINGTON -- NASA will unveil its new rocket integration facility at
the Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia, during a ribbon-cutting
ceremony at 10 a.m. EST on Friday, Jan. 21.

The Horizontal Integration Facility will support medium class mission
capabilities. The first customer to use the facility will be Orbital
Sciences Corporation of Dulles, Va., with its Taurus II launch
vehicle.

Orbital will be conducting missions for NASA under the agency's
Commercial Orbital Transportation Services project and Commercial
Resupply Services program. Integration of the Taurus II at the
facility will begin in February with launch expected later this year.

Participants in the ceremony:
- Sen. Barbara Mikulski
- NASA Administrator Charles Bolden
- NASA Associate Administrator for Space Operations William
Gerstenmaier
- NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Director Rob Strain
- NASA Wallops Flight Facility Director William Wrobel
- Orbital Sciences Corp. Chairman and CEO David Thompson

Media representatives interested in attending this event must contact
Keith Koehler at [email protected] or 757-824-1579 by noon on
Wednesday, Jan. 19.

For more information about Wallops, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/wallops

Jacques :-)

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
Re: NASA Unveiling New Rocket Integration Facility At Wallops
« Reply #1 on: 01/14/2011 08:46 pm »
Wait a minute... is this a NASA facility or an Orbital facility?

I thought Orbital was footing the bill for this (using NASA funds from COTS of course), an integration building just for the Taurus II at wallops.

But this makes it sound like NASA built it, and is renting out space to Orbital. But what other pad/rocket could it service?

EDIT: I guess that explains the Wallops HIF photo released a while back -  (http://www.orbital.com/TaurusII/images/1210/HIF.jpg - no Orbital logo in sight.
« Last Edit: 01/14/2011 08:53 pm by Lars_J »

Offline Downix

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: 01/15/2011 01:06 am »

I thought Orbital was footing the bill for this (using NASA funds from COTS of course), an integration building just for the Taurus II at wallops.

But this makes it sound like NASA built it, and is renting out space to Orbital. But what other pad/rocket could it service?

EDIT: I guess that explains the Wallops HIF photo released a while back -&nincorrectp; (http://www.orbital.com/TaurusII/images/1210/HIF.jpg - no Orbital logo in sight.
From the location, it looks like Pad 0A, 0B and 1.
chuck - Toilet paper has no real value? Try living with 5 other adults for 6 months in a can with no toilet paper. Man oh man. Toilet paper would be worth it's weight in gold!

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: 01/15/2011 08:16 pm »
There's more than on co. using horizontal integration.  Are those pads capable of handling F9, or more interesting a side-by-side like F9H?
DM

Offline Downix

« Reply #4 on: 01/15/2011 09:54 pm »
There's more than on co. using horizontal integration.  Are those pads capable of handling F9, or more interesting a side-by-side like F9H?
In theory could do an F9, but not an F9H (the blast holes look too narrow).  However, it would loose performance, due to the higher latitude.
chuck - Toilet paper has no real value? Try living with 5 other adults for 6 months in a can with no toilet paper. Man oh man. Toilet paper would be worth it's weight in gold!

Offline Lars_J

• California
« Reply #5 on: 01/15/2011 10:47 pm »

EDIT: I guess that explains the Wallops HIF photo released a while back -&nincorrectp; (http://www.orbital.com/TaurusII/images/1210/HIF.jpg - no Orbital logo in sight.

I think you missed my main objection, although it was not stated explicitly: Why in the world is NASA building a HIF to service a single contractor, when KSC is in need of funding for renovations. (and just to keep the place open after the last Shuttle flight)

Was this part of the sweetened deal NASA made to get Orbital to take over a COTS bid? Not only will we pay you a lot more per flight, we'll also build a HIF for you?

Or are there other potential users of a HIF at Wallops? None seem near on the horizon... Especially with KSC and CCAFS in even better locations.
« Last Edit: 01/15/2011 10:48 pm by Lars_J »

Offline Downix

« Reply #6 on: 01/15/2011 11:59 pm »

I think you missed my main objection, although it was not stated explicitly: Why in the world is NASA building a HIF to service a single contractor, when KSC is in need of funding for renovations. (and just to keep the place open after the last Shuttle flight)

Was this part of the sweetened deal NASA made to get Orbital to take over a COTS bid? Not only will we pay you a lot more per flight, we'll also build a HIF for you?

Or are there other potential users of a HIF at Wallops? None seem near on the horizon... Especially with KSC and CCAFS in even better locations.
When I worked for Dell, one of the sites I supported remotely was Wallops.  Talking to one of their server guys one day, he mentioned that someone else was eye'ing a pad near Orbital, but wouldn't agree unless the integration facility was in better shape.  He also mentioned that a lot of the facilities were old and due for replacement anyways.  Reading this, I assume that this may be related to that.  Or it may not be, it could be nothing but replacing the old facility with something which is cheaper to support.  Some old buildings cost more to support than it would be to replace, sometimes.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #7 on: 01/16/2011 01:17 am »

More to do with the Virginia Government:

But, above all, VA had assured bond money from the General Assembly ($26 in MARS's bank account, so far).  Florida Space had "a financial plan" based on commercial Bank loans at a time commercial Banks weren't loaning a penny to Bill Gates himself...

Might not be right now, but having a HIF in the first place is a selling point for others to use the facility, which if it was "owned" by OSC might not be able to use it.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7348
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #8 on: 01/16/2011 12:44 pm »
I have heard that a launch facility at ~40 degrees latitude might provide an approximate 24 hour period when an orbiting vehicle launched from there would return overhead. I haven't looked at it to see if that's true or not but if so then it makes for some interesting commercial opportunities. Wallops is at 37 degrees 51 minutes.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #9 on: 01/16/2011 06:21 pm »
AIUI, the funds from Virginia didn't come through as planned by Virginia, OSC and NASA due to a weak bond market.  NASA ended up footing the bill, either on its main appropriation or the 2009 Porkulus.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 01/20/2011 04:11 pm »
MEDIA ADVISORY: M11-013

NASA POSTPONES WALLOPS INTEGRATION FACILITY CEREMONY

WASHINGTON -- NASA postponed the Jan. 21 unveiling of the new rocket
integration facility at the Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia due
to expected inclement weather. A new date for the ceremony has not
been determined.

The Horizontal Integration Facility will support medium class mission
Sciences Corp. of Dulles, Va., with its Taurus II launch vehicle.

Orbital will conduct missions for NASA under the agency's Commercial
Orbital Transportation Services project and Commercial Resupply
Services contract. Integration of the Taurus II in the facility
begins in February; with a first launch expected later this year.

Offline Freddie

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: 01/21/2011 03:20 pm »
I have heard that a launch facility at ~40 degrees latitude might provide an approximate 24 hour period when an orbiting vehicle launched from there would return overhead. I haven't looked at it to see if that's true or not but if so then it makes for some interesting commercial opportunities. Wallops is at 37 degrees 51 minutes.

Please see http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2007/01/human-rated-atlas-v-for-bigelow-space-station-details-emerge/ which includes the statement "ULA has recommended to Bigelow that it place their space station in a 264nmi circular repeating ground track orbit at 41 degrees inclination that would provide daily launch opportunities.

The repeating ground track would bring the station over the same locations on the Earth every day, and would provide crew landing opportunities four times per day at the Utah Test Range or Edwards AFB with minimal cross-range requirement."

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #12 on: 01/21/2011 05:21 pm »
There was a blog post I think by Jorge a while back that indicated several interesting features of that orbit. I think the killer part was that it provided daily launch windows for KSC, Wallops, Edwards, White Sands, and Vandenberg.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Lars_J

• California
« Reply #13 on: 01/21/2011 05:29 pm »
There was a blog post I think by Jorge a while back that indicated several interesting features of that orbit. I think the killer part was that it provided daily launch windows for KSC, Wallops, Edwards, White Sands, and Vandenberg.

Vandenberg?? Do you mean for a retrograde version of that orbit? Because otherwise I don't see how that would work. Or is this for some future RLV that would be allowed to fly over land?

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #14 on: 01/22/2011 03:26 am »

Vandenberg?? Do you mean for a retrograde version of that orbit? Because otherwise I don't see how that would work. Or is this for some future RLV that would be allowed to fly over land?

Found the post http://selenianboondocks.com/2007/01/sundancer-orbital-trajectory-implications-part-two/

Vandenberg was not list, faulty grey matter on my part.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: 03/10/2011 08:02 pm »
MEDIA ADVISORY: M11-046

NASA UNVEILING NEW ROCKET INTEGRATION FACILITY AT WALLOPS

WASHINGTON -- NASA will unveil its new rocket integration facility at
the Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia during a ribbon-cutting
ceremony at 10 a.m. EDT on March 22.

The Horizontal Integration Facility will support medium-class mission
Sciences Corp. of Dulles, Va., with its Taurus II launch vehicle.

Orbital will conduct missions for NASA under the agency's Commercial
Orbital Transportation Services project and Commercial Resupply
Services program. Integration of the Taurus II in the facility will
begin this month, with the first launch expected later this year.

Participants in the ceremony are:
- Sen. Barbara Mikulski
- NASA Administrator Charles Bolden
- NASA Associate Administrator for Space Operations William
Gerstenmaier
- NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Director Rob Strain
- NASA Wallops Flight Facility Director William Wrobel
- Orbital Sciences Corp. Chairman and CEO David Thompson

The ribbon-cutting ceremony initially was scheduled for Jan. 21, but
was postponed because of bad weather. Media representatives
interested in attending this event must contact Keith Koehler at
[email protected] or 757-824-1579 by noon on March 18.

For more information about the Commercial Orbital Transportation
Services project, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/cots

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
« Reply #16 on: 03/23/2011 01:42 am »
RELEASE : 11-081                                                                March 22, 2011

NASA Ushers In New Space Exploration Era At Wallops Flight Facility   

WASHINGTON -- NASA ushered in a new era of space exploration at its Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia on Tuesday with a ribbon cutting ceremony opening the new Horizontal Integration Facility (HIF).

The HIF will support medium-class mission capabilities. The first customer to use the facility will be Orbital Sciences Corp. of Dulles, Va., with its Taurus II launch vehicle.

"With this state-of-the-art building, NASA demonstrates its commitment to the success of the nation's commercial launch industry," said NASA Administrator Charles Bolden, "We have already seen some fantastic progress and are looking forward to more this year. Wallops, the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport and Orbital have been working together to bring the Taurus II vehicle to the launch pad this coming fall under tough mission schedules. That effort is impressive and a model we should emulate whenever possible."

Orbital will conduct missions for NASA under the agency's Commercial Orbital Transportation Services project and Commercial Resupply Services contract. Integration of the Taurus II at the new facility will begin this month, with the first launch expected later this year.

"Today is about bringing jobs, jobs and more jobs to the Lower Shore -- jobs for today and jobs for tomorrow," said Sen. Barbara A. Mikulski, chairwoman of the Subcommittee for Commerce, Justice and Science, which funds NASA. "I'm so happy to see our federal facilities like Wallops bringing the innovation economy to the community with this world-class international launch site that will soon launch science missions and take cargo to the International Space Station."

"The Horizontal Integration Facility is a vital part of our operation at the Wallops Flight Facility," said Dave Thompson, chairman and CEO of Orbital Sciences Corp. "The capability it provides to process two Taurus II vehicles simultaneously puts us in an excellent position to support NASA with missions to the International Space Station."

The facility is 250 feet long, 150 wide and 60 feet high. Its bay provides dual horizontal processing with 70-and 50-ton bridge cranes. Built in approximately 16 months, the HIF has adjacent laboratory and warehouse space. Its safety features include a deluge fire suppression system and a blast-attenuating wall.

Offline Freddie

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: 04/05/2011 06:37 am »
DCist.com carried a news article about the HIF dedication ceremony.  It can be read at http://dcist.com/2011/03/look_up_mid-atlantic_regional_space.php#photo-1.
Included with the article was a gallery of 75 photographs that can be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/photos/heathermg/sets/72157626235123963/.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #18 on: 04/06/2011 04:24 am »
DCist.com carried a news article about the HIF dedication ceremony.  It can be read at http://dcist.com/2011/03/look_up_mid-atlantic_regional_space.php#photo-1.
Included with the article was a gallery of 75 photographs that can be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/photos/heathermg/sets/72157626235123963/.

And just a reminder that here are some images of range control on L2:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=21888.0

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography