Author Topic: Station science excellent; Commercial Cargo-2 contracts making good strides  (Read 2941 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Great article Chris G. and that render out the view port made my eyeballs pop Nathan! 8) Thank you gentlemen! :)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline ThereIWas3

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 338
Other than the CO2 scrubber tests, is there any information on the actual usefulness of all these experiments?

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
Moreover, and quite excitingly, the OA-9E Cygnus might be the first U.S. commercial vehicle to reboost the orbit of the International Space Station.  Speaking to the NASA Advisory Council last month, Ms. Gatens related that there is a potential Detailed Test Objective (DTO) in work for OA-9E to use Cygnus’ thrusters to perform an ISS reboost.

If the DTO is approved and executed, Cygnus will become the first U.S. spacecraft to perform a reboost of the ISS since the Space Shuttle fleet was retired seven years ago.

How exactly would that work in practice given the berthing location of Cygnus?
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 1096
101 countries. Wow. It just blew my mind. Mongolia and Singapore, how about that !  8)
Han shot first and Gwynne Shotwell !

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
Moreover, and quite excitingly, the OA-9E Cygnus might be the first U.S. commercial vehicle to reboost the orbit of the International Space Station.  Speaking to the NASA Advisory Council last month, Ms. Gatens related that there is a potential Detailed Test Objective (DTO) in work for OA-9E to use Cygnus’ thrusters to perform an ISS reboost.

If the DTO is approved and executed, Cygnus will become the first U.S. spacecraft to perform a reboost of the ISS since the Space Shuttle fleet was retired seven years ago.

We're working on that.

Offline Torbjorn Larsson, OM

• Liked: 107
  • Likes Given: 79
Other than the CO2 scrubber tests, is there any information on the actual usefulness of all these experiments?

Define "usefulness". Science & technology is the most useful known practices for expanding GDP; AFAIK 10-20 % of science work and start ups succeed to use.

Presumably space science & technology is no different from other such.

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 1481
  • Likes Given: 455
IIRC a Progress at Pirs was at least once used for a reboost.
So it could be the same procedure.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 617
  • Likes Given: 211

We're working on that.
Isn't that going to be exactly the same as a progress reboost, when the progress is docked to DC1, MRM1 or MRM2 !? I think the CBM ports can handle the loads.

Offline brickmack

• USA
  • Liked: 3273
  • Likes Given: 101
OA-9 is gonna be at Node 1 nadir, thats pretty close to the center of mass I think, so it at least shouldn't impart too much rotation

Offline brickmack

• USA
Has a nominal reboost ever been conducted from Pirs, Poisk, or Rassvet? The only thing I've found so far is a CAM conducted by Progress M-22M from Pirs, but that probably shouldn't count since its a semi-emergency. No non-Zvezda Progress has done any reboost since at least 2014

Offline mulp

• merrimack, nh
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 9
Until reading this article, I hadn't considered crs1 and crs2 requirements as being different. I searched for a discussion of crs2 requirements and differences without success.

Is there a discussion I failed to use the right search terms to find?

What are the important differences?

I gather berthing vs docking is one. Will crs2 missions lack berthing capability?

Other significant added capabilities to crs2 contract requirements?

Is pusher capability to raise orbit part of crs2 and included in all crs2 contract vehicles?

Ps, another great article answering questions I didn't know to ask.

Offline brickmack

• USA
I gather berthing vs docking is one. Will crs2 missions lack berthing capability?

Other significant added capabilities to crs2 contract requirements?

Is pusher capability to raise orbit part of crs2 and included in all crs2 contract vehicles?

Ps, another great article answering questions I didn't know to ask.

Cygnus and DreamChaser will both support docking and berthing. NASA doesn't seem to much care either way, its mostly just a schedule matter to them (CRS1 missions had to berth because IDS wasn't available yet and APAS was not suitable). DreamChaser and Dragon (and Starliner) are both known to support reboosts as well, unknown if that was a requirement.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography