Author Topic: SpaceX to lease building at Port Canaveral, build another one  (Read 46878 times)

Offline JBF

• Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 914
Hmm at a minimum they will need to blow out the back wall to the integration hall and add a door. However if they just plan on using that space for one core at a time the crane could be external.
« Last Edit: 08/26/2016 01:17 pm by JBF »
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but that’s the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
    • Home of the ThreadRipper Cadillac
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 2735
I'm starting to think they leased this for the location and acreage to build a proper building to handle S1 refurb...
This existing building can be made into workshop space for repair/refurb of parts removed from stages in the new building...
It would make a decent east coast Spx Merlin Engine overhaul and repair shop... among other duties...

Just an opinion...  ;)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
Hmm at a minimum they will need to blow out the back wall to the integration hall and add a door. However if they just plan on using that space for one core at a time the crane could be external.

https://goo.gl/maps/gFpz1gmRGpx

No real approach from the west with a long first stage

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
Maybe they can combine the Annex and the Integration Hall Extension. The Annex door already looks big enough to roll a stage through.

Online kenny008

• Knoxville, TN
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 2079
How much modification are they actually allowed to do?  They are leasing the space, so I assume the leasing agreement would specify the amount of modification allowed.  "Blowing out the back wall" might not be covered.

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
  • Liked: 1869
  • Likes Given: 1262
I'm sure they wouldn't have taken out the lease without first getting approvals for works to be done. They know what they need to manage the stages well enough at this point so my guess is that it's all already in place (approvals that is)

Online kenny008

• Knoxville, TN
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 2079
Right, I agree.  I'm sure they didn't sign the lease, and then find out it wouldn't work for them.

Just trying to get a feel for what they might have received approval to do.

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381
"We are pleased to have been granted temporary use of this facility to give us time to evaluate the building's suitability to support SpaceX’s business in Florida on a longer-term basis,” SpaceX spokesman John Taylor said.
and:
Port Commissioner Bruce Deardoff said he expects the lease agreement with SpaceX to also include resolving concerns SpaceX recently raised related to a proposed $15,000 fee each time a 30-ton rocket booster returns there.
also see:
Orlando Business Journal: SpaceX expanding operations in Port Canaveral:
The Hawthorne, Calif.-based firm may take up space inside a 52,000-square-foot building in Port Canaveral as soon as September, reports Florida Today. The company also plans to develop a second building adjacent that site. The buildings would function as a site to process and refurbish SpaceX's Falcon 9 rockets.

It looks to me that SpaceX will build a new building to process boosters.  They'll put the old building to other unspecified uses.  Basically the Port found a way to get more money from SpaceX and SpaceX found a way to get value for spending that money.
« Last Edit: 08/26/2016 04:22 pm by mme »
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline BobHk

• Texas
  • Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 173
And we know theyre using this for the movement of stages...from Port Canaveral to Kennedy Space Center, Fla. - no wit wont have to go so far.

http://www.space.com/33873-spacex-reuses-shuttle-transporter-for-falcon.html

In 2014, SpaceX purchased the vehicle at a federal surplus auction for $37,075.

The antennae being installed at Boca are also surplus...glad to see SpaceX isn't letting anything go to waste if they can get it and use it.
« Last Edit: 08/26/2016 10:29 pm by BobHk »

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136

https://goo.gl/maps/gFpz1gmRGpx

No real approach from the west with a long first stage

Google maps shows a possibly specious vehicle path straight north from just east of Grouper Rd across a large paved lot to Magellan Rd right by the SE corner of the building. Could SpaceX actually follow this path on the new transporter?
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
The issue is getting into the building and not getting to the building

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
another article with a side picture of the building and more information.

SpaceX to lease building at Port Canaveral, may build another one

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/spacex/2016/08/24/spacex-lease-building-port-canaveral-build-another-one/89230076/

SpaceX plans to move into the 52,000-square-foot former Spacehab building through a temporary property-use permit between the company and the port.

"We are pleased to have been granted temporary use of this facility to give us time to evaluate the building's suitability to support SpaceX’s business in Florida on a longer-term basis,” SpaceX spokesman John Taylor said.

Port Commissioner Bruce Deardoff said he expects the lease agreement with SpaceX to also include resolving concerns SpaceX recently raised related to a proposed $15,000 fee each time a 30-ton rocket booster returns there.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline hms hexapuma

• Regina, Sk, CAN
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
I understand the jist of this conversation is access to the SpaceHab building doors, but I also wonder about getting the boosters off of Highway 401 and into the facility. Without measuring the booster transporters turning radius I am only guessing that it would not make the south bound turn off of 401 onto Grouper Road (or Payne Way if Magellan Road was finished to the east of SpaceHab.
But as I type this I wonder if the booster transporter has independent steering on the various axles? That would solve any possible problems.
Sorry: just more questions, and no answers.

Online eriblo

• Sweden
  • Liked: 1670
  • Likes Given: 270
I understand the jist of this conversation is access to the SpaceHab building doors, but I also wonder about getting the boosters off of Highway 401 and into the facility. Without measuring the booster transporters turning radius I am only guessing that it would not make the south bound turn off of 401 onto Grouper Road (or Payne Way if Magellan Road was finished to the east of SpaceHab.
But as I type this I wonder if the booster transporter has independent steering on the various axles? That would solve any possible problems.
They have independent steering, don't think they would be going much of anywhere otherwise. I doubt the exit from from 401 would be a problem in this case since the talk has been about the recovered boosters that start out on Grouper Road... :)
My guess is that they are already navigating this corner but in the other direction to get to the Cape.

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
  • Liked: 1130
  • Likes Given: 150
They have independent steering, don't think they would be going much of anywhere otherwise. I doubt the exit from from 401 would be a problem in this case since the talk has been about the recovered boosters that start out on Grouper Road... :)
My guess is that they are already navigating this corner but in the other direction to get to the Cape.
Video of transporter taking a corner is here.
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40926.msg1573685#msg1573685
I reject your reality and substitute my own--Doctor Who

Offline Raul

• Ústí nad Orlicí, CZECH
  • Liked: 1188
  • Likes Given: 99
Another little gem that I'd never seen, that's why I love this site so much. To Raul, the work on this map is excellent I thank you very much!
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=1wvgFIPuOmI8da9EIB88tHo9vamo
Thanks for appreciation.. site is included now to the map together with next updates.

Offline Roy_H

• Political Solutions
  • Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 3163
The building doesn't look too useful as is. I suppose they would have to take out the wall between the Integration Hall and the Integration Hall Extension, made a new large garage door opening to the outside of the Integration Hall Extension and extended the crane from the Integration Hall Extension through to the far end of the Integration Hall, it could be made to work. Still going to be difficult to maneuver the truck/stage into there.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk
Spacestation proposal: https://politicalsolutions.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
1.The building doesn't look too useful as is. I suppose they would have to take out the wall between the Integration Hall and the Integration Hall Extension, made a new large garage door opening to the outside of the Integration Hall

2.Extension and extended the crane from the Integration Hall Extension through to the far end of the Integration Hall, it could be made to work.

3.Still going to be difficult to maneuver the truck/stage into there.

1.  Can't, that is part of the basic building structure.  The IH extension was an add on.

2.  Can't extend the crane because:
a.  #1
b.  There are no structure to support a crane in the IH. 
c.  The crane rolls north/south

3. There is way a stage can fit on the west side parking lot.

Online rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365
Is anything stopping SpaceX from tearing the whole thing down and building a new building?

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
Is anything stopping SpaceX from tearing the whole thing down and building a new building?

Why not skip directly to step B?  They can use this building for other stuff.  It's not like they're not constantly building something or other...
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography