Author Topic: LEGO Saturn V set  (Read 88794 times)

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
Re: LEGO Saturn V set
« Reply #100 on: 06/22/2017 08:31 pm »
Did anyone else think this peculiar? The S-IVB stage has what appears to be three instrument units stacked on top of it instead of just one. To preserve the correct overall height the SLA angle had to be greater to compensate. The only reason I could think of for doing this was so that the lunar module would fit on top of the S-IVB if desired. It really doesn't spoil the overall effect; I just thought it an interesting compromise.

Couldn't it be because they always endeavour to use blocks that are already in production? Maybe those SLA blocks are from a previous set.

Offline DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #101 on: 06/22/2017 10:29 pm »
The Instrument Unit is the black line, if I am correct
This is correct. I have circled the IU in the attached photo. The SLA wasn't entirely conical, it had a barrel section on the bottom to which the hinged SLA panels was attached to.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #102 on: 06/23/2017 01:33 am »
Couldn't it be because they always endeavour to use blocks elements that are already in production? Maybe those SLA blocks elements are from a previous set.

"Elements" is the preferred term, quote corrected to reflect that.

It's a bit more complicated than that, but essentially, yes. Any given set has to be cautious about how many new elements it uses, and how many new colors. LEGO Ideas sets typically operate under very tight restrictions[1] and usually have no new elements at all. This has been changing as Ideas sets become more popular. But they still don't have the freedom to introduce new elements, printing or colors that a mainline theme does (Friends, for example has a plethora of new elements, and existing elements in new colors, each year).

The other side of that coin is that once a mainline theme set introduces a new element, there is considerable pressure to use that new element in other sets introduced at similar times so as to amortize the new tooling across more sets[1].

1 - we fans have observed, LEGO employees more or less neither confirm or deny, but wink at us to let us know we're right...
« Last Edit: 06/23/2017 01:36 am by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #103 on: 06/24/2017 04:48 am »
My Saturn V is finished!
« Last Edit: 06/24/2017 04:48 am by Bubbinski »
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Online Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #104 on: 06/30/2017 02:24 pm »
I know this is old news (posted on May 2017), but at least I didnt know it and its not mentioned in this thread so far:

Hi Lego friends,
We’re glad you like our design, nice review about our rocket :-)
The Mobile launch tower & the Crawler at the 1/110 scale will be on line at Lego Ideas on September 2017, you can get an overview of prototypes here: http://whatsuptoday.free.fr/Saturn-V-Apollo-11/samples/magazine/index.html#page/18
Felix Stiessen & Valerie Roche

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2017/05/10/go-launch-lego-ideas-21309-nasa-apollo-saturn-v-review/#comment-100613

Hope we find many, many supporters :) I want the Saturn V vertical on my desk!
« Last Edit: 06/30/2017 02:26 pm by Semmel »

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #105 on: 06/30/2017 11:08 pm »
I know this is old news (posted on May 2017), but at least I didnt know it and its not mentioned in this thread so far:

Hi Lego friends,
We’re glad you like our design, nice review about our rocket :-)
The Mobile launch tower & the Crawler at the 1/110 scale will be on line at Lego Ideas on September 2017, you can get an overview of prototypes here: http://whatsuptoday.free.fr/Saturn-V-Apollo-11/samples/magazine/index.html#page/18
Felix Stiessen & Valerie Roche

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2017/05/10/go-launch-lego-ideas-21309-nasa-apollo-saturn-v-review/#comment-100613

Hope we find many, many supporters :) I want the Saturn V vertical on my desk!

Can you share the Link to this post of Felix Stiessen & Valerie Roche?

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:
1:144 Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #106 on: 06/30/2017 11:15 pm »
it's the link in the bit Semmel shared.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #107 on: 07/02/2017 08:53 pm »
Finally had a chance to work on ours and finish it yesterday.  Even though it he has "outgrown" Lego, he still had fun building with me, and was very quick!!

Offline Oersted

« Reply #108 on: 07/02/2017 09:30 pm »
Lovely pic Ronpur!

I just finished the S-II stage with my daughter. We've been at it since June 1st, but she's only 5 so I think that's OK... - We can't believe there are only two bags left!

Due to our LEGO build I bought this amazing book on the Saturn V: https://haynes.com/en-gb/nasa-saturn-v-owners-workshop-manual
- It is very well-written, concise, yet goes into great detail, and in a language everybody can understand. I am learning so many interesting facts about the Saturn V that I didn't know:

The kerosene used in the S-IC was called RP-1. And what does that abbreviation stand for? - surely something very technical? - Nope, it means.... wait for it...drumroll... "Rocket Propellant 1"! - So funny.

Also didn't know the explanation behind the particular look of the S-IC plume, i.e. the first metre or so of flame being very dark and laminar-looking almost. Well, turns out they directed the exhaust of the turbopump out through the inside of the lower half of the F-1 nozzle to protect it from the searing heat of the primary combustion.

And then the retro-rockets in the S-IC fins: they actually didn't bother to make an opening in the skin of the rocket for the rockets. They just blew a hole through the skin when they fired!

OK, better stop now. Truly great book, wonderfully illustrated.     
« Last Edit: 07/02/2017 09:35 pm by Oersted »

Offline ELinder

• Cleveland, OH
    • Erich Linder Photography
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #109 on: 07/03/2017 03:01 pm »
The Saturn V LUT Lego Ideas project is now live to gather supporters.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/a88109ec-9970-4fe1-98b4-9bd535856ab4

Erich

Offline meberbs

• Liked: 3379
  • Likes Given: 777
« Reply #110 on: 07/03/2017 03:45 pm »
I was looking over the rules to check how long they have to get each level of support, and I noticed something concerning (that was recently added). It explicitly calls out the Apollo program as a disallowed idea, effectively because they will handle it themselves if they want to expand the series.

Hopefully this counts as an exception, either if it was technically submitted a couple months ago, or if they are nice enough to recognize that this had been planned as a follow on project years ago. Also hopefully, the Saturn V will be back in stock at some point somewhere, I really don't want to buy it off a scalper.

https://ideas.lego.com/guidelines

Don’t base your project on a licensed property we currently sell, or a property that entered our portfolio through a previous LEGO Ideas set.

We know you love our licensed product lines. A licensed product is a LEGO product that is based on recognizable features of another company’s products or ideas. For example, LEGO Star Wars and LEGO Minecraft are licensed products. Since we actively develop new products based on our licenses, we’ve found that we can’t accept your submissions for these lines through LEGO Ideas.

LEGO Ideas does not accept projects based on:

Currently active or announced licenses such as Star Wars™, MARVEL Super Heroes™, The LEGO Batman Movie, Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, and others. For a list of active licenses, please refer to this article in the LEGO Ideas Knowledge Base.
    Any third-party license that entered our portfolio through LEGO Ideas such as Minecraft, Doctor Who, Adventure Time, the Apollo program, and others.

If a licensed property no longer appears on our list, and it didn’t enter the LEGO portfolio via LEGO Ideas, you’re welcome to submit projects based on it then. Whenever we release a new license, or re-release a set from a past licensed property, we’ll archive any related LEGO Ideas projects to follow this guideline.

For projects related to NASA, we consider the property to be the specific program or mission. For example, we will no longer consider projects related to the Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover, or the Apollo program as potential LEGO Ideas sets.

Editor’s Note: This Guideline was added April 05, 2017 and affects projects submitted after this date. Existing projects based on current LEGO licenses have a smaller chance of passing the LEGO Review than other projects and may have increased risk of overlapping a product currently in development.

If the LEGO Group releases follow-up products based on the same original concept or licensed property, we produce them ourselves.

If we produce your project, it is possible the LEGO Group could consider your set as a starting point for a new playtheme, or release additional sets based on the same license. Any follow-up products based on the same concept or licensed property will be developed internally at the LEGO Group and independent from LEGO Ideas. We do not credit or compensate LEGO Ideas members for follow-up products. Read more in Prizes and Rewards.

Offline Oersted

« Reply #111 on: 07/03/2017 03:54 pm »
Also hopefully, the Saturn V will be back in stock at some point somewhere, I really don't want to buy it off a scalper.

In the LEGO shop in Antwerp, Belgium, I was told that it would be in stock again by October.

Offline Oersted

« Reply #112 on: 07/03/2017 04:04 pm »
The Saturn V LUT Lego Ideas project is now live to gather supporters.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/a88109ec-9970-4fe1-98b4-9bd535856ab4

Erich

Looks fantastic! - If they indeed do a Günter Wendt minifigure I hope they won't go for this helmet... https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/In_the_White_Room%2C_Pad_Leader_Guenter_Wendt_proudly_wears_a_%27Col._Guenter_Klink%27_helmet.jpg

Only thing I would want to change in then tower set would be to have a LEGO-studded platform instead of the smooth surface. It's LEGO after all, it should look like it.

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #113 on: 07/03/2017 04:09 pm »
I changed the way I display my Saturn V this weekend to make it look more like the KSC Saturn V Center exhibit:
« Last Edit: 07/03/2017 04:10 pm by Bubbinski »
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline vandersons

• Ireland
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #114 on: 07/03/2017 05:18 pm »
The 5 year old and me had a great time putting it together. He was squeeling from delight when he saw the packaging after his last school day.

We both now can't wait to see the real thing in KSC some day.

Offline Eagandale4114

• Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 500
« Reply #115 on: 07/03/2017 11:24 pm »

Offline Oersted

« Reply #116 on: 07/04/2017 10:43 am »
In two days they got 612 supporters out of the 10,000 needed for LEGO to review the launch tower set!

I must say that I would much have preferred a set that included both the crawler (i.e. "stage 0") and the launch tower.

Offline DPX

« Reply #117 on: 07/04/2017 01:09 pm »
Finished mine tonight - first perfectly on top of the DVD shelf  :)

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81620
  • Likes Given: 36928
« Reply #118 on: 07/04/2017 02:56 pm »
Some great HD pictures of both tower designs (a 'deluxe' one and the 'basic' one currently live on LEGO ideas) at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129688999@N08/collections/72157682572929232/

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81620
  • Likes Given: 36928
« Reply #119 on: 07/08/2017 01:20 pm »
The Ideas tower design now has 1900 supporters, so has an extra 6 months to reach the 5000 milestone :)

Meanwhile thought the attached award winning LEGO ad might be of interest (more info at http://www.adweek.com/creativity/the-story-behind-legos-brilliant-print-ads-from-the-cannes-festival/).

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography