Author Topic: NEEMO 20 to build knowledge base on delayed deep space communications  (Read 10143 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7680
I really like these NEEMO activities. Very cool: simulating delayed communications. I'd love it if they could overcome this issue someday (who knows, maybe neutrino particle communication beams or something).

Let's hope Luca Parmitano doesn't have a repeat of his 'fishbowl' experience!

Great read Chris.

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 774
  • Likes Given: 1126
I really like these NEEMO activities. Very cool: simulating delayed communications. I'd love it if they could overcome this issue someday (who knows, maybe neutrino particle communication beams or something).

Let's hope Luca Parmitano doesn't have a repeat of his 'fishbowl' experience!

Great read Chris.

Gravity makes things a lot easier to manage
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Offline bolun

• Europe
  • Liked: 964
  • Likes Given: 110
NEEMO 20 crew

Since 20 July, the twentieth NASA Extreme Environment Mission Operations campaign, or NEEMO 20, is underway. ESA astronaut Luca Parmitano, NASA astronauts Serena Aunon and David Coan and JAXA's Norishige Kanai are living and working in the Aquarius underwater research station off the coast of Florida, USA.

The crew is living and working almost 20 m underwater to test tools and techniques for spacewalks, as they venture outside the base in full scuba gear. By adjusting their buoyancy, the aquanauts can simulate the gravity levels found on the Moon, Mars and asteroids.

Space agencies are always looking for ways to prepare and train for spaceflight without leaving Earth. ESA sends astronauts underground in Sicilian caves and NASA goes underwater. Astronauts from all Space Station partners join to make the experience as realistic as possible – working efficiently and safely with a culturally diverse team is part of the package.

Left to right: NEEMO 20 commander Luca Parmitano (ESA), Serena Aunon (NASA), David Coan (NASA), Norishige Kanai, (JAXA). Inside the Aquarius station: Mark Hulsbeck (FIU) & Sean Moore (FIU)

http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Images/2015/07/NEEMO_20_crew

Image credit: NASA

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 1481
  • Likes Given: 455
https://twitter.com/ESA_CAVES/status/719826437788844032
I am proud to announce that #CAVES2016 will take place 23 June to 9 July, and that we'll have a fantastic crew

Offline Olaf

• Germany
NEEMO 21 crew
https://www.facebook.com/AquariusReefBase/?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser
NASA Extreme Environment Mission Operations (NEEMO-21) training begins on July 11 with splash-down to commence on July 18. The 16-day mission will include a mid-mission decompression and partial crew rotation. Crew make-up for Leg-1 includes Megan Behnken-McArthur (NASA Astronaut), Matthias Maurer (ESA), Reid Wiseman (NASA Astronaut) and Marc O'Griofa (Veterans Administration & Noninvasive Medical Technologies Principal Investigator). Crew for Leg-2 includes Behnken-McArthur, Maurer, Dawn Kernagis (NAVSEA & The Institute for Human and Machine Cognition Principal Investigator) and Noel DuToit (Naval Postgraduate School Principal Investigator).

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
I dove Aquarius Reef Base with Fabien Cousteau a few years ago. Very interesting habitat. One of my former interns is now Assistant Dive Safety Officer for FIU and works in support of the base, and I'm friends with the DSO. I'll have to inquire about this mission.
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Olaf

• Germany
https://www.facebook.com/AquariusReefBase/

NEEMO-21: Sea conditions have delayed splash down until Thursday, July 21. Crew is ready!

Offline Olaf

• Germany

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography