Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : TESS : April 18, 2018 : Discussion  (Read 192340 times)

Offline jebbo

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 608
  • Likes Given: 309
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 : TESS : NET April 16, 2018 : Discussion
« Reply #100 on: 01/25/2018 08:27 pm »
FWIW, they are process in VIP requests now as well. Several folks on the science team I know are currently jumping through the requisite hoops.

--- Tony

Offline IanThePineapple

Launch & Landing FCC permits for TESS Just came out confirming March 20th launch date ..... And
It will be a drone ship landing but much closer than the usual landing site for GTO Sats (similar to FH's center core landing site)

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/els/reports/STA_Print.cfm?mode=current&application_seq=82387&RequestTimeout=1000
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/els/reports/STA_Print.cfm?mode=current&application_seq=82383&RequestTimeout=1000

And it's 39-A, I was wondering about that.

(As with all of these FCC permits, probably need the standard disclaimer that they don't actually name the payload.  Sure does look like it would be TESS.)

edit: will be interesting to see whether CRS-14 stays at SLC-40 now or switches back to 39-A.  Those TESS/Bangabandhu/CRS-14 dates wouldn't work any other way unless CRS-14 slips more.

I think I saw somewhere that most/all NASA payloads would launch from 39A once the manifest and pad schedules stop going crazy (AKA once FH-1 is done and 39A is able to launch F9 again), with an occasional commercial launch from 39A to reduce strain on 40.

I haven't seen anything new about this, not sure if they're still planning to follow that plan.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #102 on: 01/26/2018 08:41 pm »
Launch & Landing FCC permits for TESS Just came out confirming March 20th launch date ..... And
It will be a drone ship landing but much closer than the usual landing site for GTO Sats (similar to FH's center core landing site)

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/els/reports/STA_Print.cfm?mode=current&application_seq=82387&RequestTimeout=1000
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/els/reports/STA_Print.cfm?mode=current&application_seq=82383&RequestTimeout=1000

How are you reading these as being related to TESS?  They're not.

1. TESS was contracted by NASA's LSP as a NASA Launch Services mission.  Which means that the licensing authority isn't the FAA because this isn't a "commercial launch". 

2.  Because TESS is a LSP launch, SpaceX doesn't need an STA for radio emissions from the FCC.  They will get spectrum coverage direct from the NTIA via NASA.  Again, this is only possible for non-commercial launches. 

3.  TESS is light enough (less than 400kg) that I'll be surprised if it isn't a RTLS mission, even with it being launched to HEO. 

Also, only semi-related: "Operations Start Date" isn't the planned launch date.  It's when they can start doing the testing and pre-launch checkouts on the radio systems.  If you look back at other recent missions that kept a pretty firm launch date and check their STAs you'll see that they don't plan on launching the first day of the "operations period".   

EDIT: I refuse to totally discount the possibility, as government oversight and regulation can sometimes result in weird/ridiculous applications, but I suppose it's possible that they could be forced to get an STA for any recovery operations, as it's theoretically possible to consider that as being separate from the launch operations contracted by NASA.  But these STAs aren't that, as they clearly cover a commercial launch+recovery and include the 2nd stage.
« Last Edit: 01/26/2018 08:49 pm by deruch »
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #103 on: 01/26/2018 09:06 pm »

How are you reading these as being related to TESS?  They're not.

1. TESS was contracted by NASA's LSP as a NASA Launch Services mission.  Which means that the licensing authority isn't the FAA because this isn't a "commercial launch". 

2.  Because TESS is a LSP launch, SpaceX doesn't need an STA for radio emissions from the FCC.  They will get spectrum coverage direct from the NTIA via NASA.  Again, this is only possible for non-commercial launches. 

3.  TESS is light enough (less than 400kg) that I'll be surprised if it isn't a RTLS mission, even with it being launched to HEO. 

Also, only semi-related: "Operations Start Date" isn't the planned launch date.  It's when they can start doing the testing and pre-launch checkouts on the radio systems.  If you look back at other recent missions that kept a pretty firm launch date and check their STAs you'll see that they don't plan on launching the first day of the "operations period".   

EDIT: I refuse to totally discount the possibility, as government oversight and regulation can sometimes result in weird/ridiculous applications, but I suppose it's possible that they could be forced to get an STA for any recovery operations, as it's theoretically possible to consider that as being separate from the launch operations contracted by NASA.  But these STAs aren't that, as they clearly cover a commercial launch+recovery and include the 2nd stage.

They had these permits for DSCOVR, NROL-76, OTV-5

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #104 on: 01/26/2018 09:09 pm »
NROL-76 was a commercial launch

Offline deruch

• California
« Reply #105 on: 01/26/2018 11:05 pm »
They had these permits for DSCOVR, NROL-76, OTV-5

No, I don't think they did. 

DSCOVR-  SpaceX initially applied for an STA for the launch (on 2014-12-11) but then pretty much immediately withdrew it (5 days later on 2014-12-16).  So, it was never granted.  As far as I can tell, they didn't ever reapply for another one for this mission.  I assume because they figured out they didn't need it as they were getting RF allocation through the USAF.  I chalk it up to it being their first time launching non-commercial after having had to apply for all previous launches.  But, note that in that superfluous application they do still specifically say, "Launch approval authority is 45th Space Wing, USAF."  So, in regards to TESS and the original docs we're discussing, something along those lines should definitely be in there if they were related. 

I guess I was right to set the bar low for regulatory hassles though, because it appears they did have to get an STA for the booster recovery effort.  Which specifically says,
Experimental ocean recovery operation downrange of Cape Canaveral, following DoD-authorized launch. This STA request is limited to the TC uplink, transmitting from the commercial boat/barge. The link will also be checked-out prior to launch, at Complex 40, Cape Canaveral AFS. Launch vehicle flight communications for this mission are covered by a separate RFA.

NROL-76- As Jim already pointed out, from SpaceX's POV, NROL-76 was a commercial launch contracted by Ball Aerospace who had a deliver on-orbit deal with the NRO.  So, that's why it had an FAA launch license (even though it was never publicly released).  And why it needed the STA for RF from the FCC.  No surprises. 

OTV-5- I've looked but haven't seen any mention of STAs for this launch in any of the threads here (update, discussion, & general manifest).  Nor have I been able to find one by using the FCC's search.  If you have a link to one though, I'd be interested in reading it.  I bet it will say that USAF was the launch authority.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #106 on: 01/27/2018 01:58 am »
Here is the one for OTV-5, it says nothing about the AF.  Was this also a "commercial" launch?  They don't seem very consistent about these government launches.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/els/reports/STA_Print.cfm?mode=current&application_seq=78749&RequestTimeout=1000
« Last Edit: 01/27/2018 01:59 am by gongora »

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #107 on: 01/27/2018 02:23 am »
I understand why SpaceX shouldn't need an FCC launch permit for this flight, but it makes no sense to me that anything else would launch from 39A around the date TESS is supposed to launch.

Offline deruch

• California
« Reply #108 on: 01/27/2018 03:47 am »
I understand why SpaceX shouldn't need an FCC launch permit for this flight, but it makes no sense to me that anything else would launch from 39A around the date TESS is supposed to launch.

Bangabandhu-1?  So TESS would launch from SLC-40 and those would be for Bangabandhu-1.  Which I think fits them better all around.  It's definitely commercial, GTO but on the lighter side so will use ASDS (and be able to adjust landing location in closer than previous GTO launches), currently planned to launch within a week or 2 from the start of operations date in the application.  Seems perfect unless you're totally wedded to TESS having to launch from LC-39A.  I get the argument for that, I just don't find it especially persuasive. 

Thanks for the other link.  Interesting.  Except for the fact that there doesn't really look like another mission it could fit, I wouldn't have paired that STA with OTV-5.  Now I'm really curious about the Air Force's contract with SpaceX for that launch.  So much so I may file a FOIA with them and the FAA to see if I'll get anything back. 

Offline Bubbinski

I’ll be flying to the Cape for this launch with my mom in tow. Wondering how firm the March 20 date is. Be interesting to see if it’s from 39A or SLC-40 as that may impact where I watch this from. Hoping there’s an RTLS landing and not the barge landing noted earlier for this launch.
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline vaporcobra

TESS has been fully integrated and is now ready to be shipped to the launch site. Bodes well for a launch in late March.

Offline jebbo

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #111 on: 02/08/2018 07:50 pm »
Further confirmation of the above from their twitter:

We are getting ready to ship @NASA_TESS to @NASAKennedy for launch! #TESS https://t.co/NS57SlCgpo

https://twitter.com/NASA_TESS/status/961680041271877632

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
  • Liked: 159
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #112 on: 02/08/2018 07:53 pm »
Will likely visit KSC on March 20th. When will we know for certain if it's 39A or SLC-40? Only reason is the bus tour. I would skip if it 39A is off-limits on that day.

Offline jebbo

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #113 on: 02/08/2018 08:01 pm »
Not launch related, but here's a nice visualisation of how the various datasets relate to each other:

Okay back to our regularly scheduled programming, which today means wrapping our brains around where the .@NASA_TESS/@TESSatMIT planets will come from. Solange Ramirez's attempt to diagram it out is breaking my brain. Anything we left out, @sleeplessinmit, @mrtommyb? https://t.co/ChO6RhqGNX

https://twitter.com/aussiastronomer/status/961309706298912768

Where:
* TIC is the input catalogue
* CTL is the consolidated target list (some will get 2 minute cadence light curves)
* Targets is anything with a light curve (+ 30 minute cadence from the FFIs)
* TOI is TESS object of interest
« Last Edit: 02/08/2018 08:17 pm by jebbo »

Offline vaporcobra

Will likely visit KSC on March 20th. When will we know for certain if it's 39A or SLC-40? Only reason is the bus tour. I would skip if it 39A is off-limits on that day.

SLC-40, almost without a doubt. I don't think 39A is going to be used for anything other than Crew and Heavy launches for the foreseeable future, unless cadence requirements explode.
« Last Edit: 02/08/2018 10:03 pm by vaporcobra »

Offline JonathanD

• Liked: 873
  • Likes Given: 277
« Reply #115 on: 02/08/2018 09:05 pm »
unless cadence requirements explode.

Or SLC-40 does.  Knock on wood.

Offline John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
    • Home of the ThreadRipper Cadillac
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 2735
« Reply #116 on: 02/08/2018 09:07 pm »

SLC-40, almost without a doubt. I don't think 39A is going to be used for anything other than Crew and Heavy launches for the foreseeable future, unless cadence requirements explode.

Honestly... I expect TESS to fly from 39A... I guess we let the clock run and see what happens...  ;)

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #117 on: 02/08/2018 09:07 pm »

I would expect it will launch from 39A given that it is a NASA launch and Bangabandu looks to be scheduled for late March from 40.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #118 on: 02/08/2018 09:50 pm »

There is a F9 scheduled for LC-39A at that time.

Offline vaporcobra

There is a F9 scheduled for LC-39A at that time.

Derp. The very FCC launch licenses I'd posted in the Manifest thread mention 39A and KSC, so you are definitely correct. Almost certainly TESS.
« Last Edit: 02/08/2018 10:06 pm by vaporcobra »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography