Author Topic: The CRS-4/SpX-4 - So Long, and Thanks for All the Cheese - Party Thread  (Read 157661 times)

Offline Tuts36

• Memphis, TN
  • Liked: 224
  • Likes Given: 2002
That SpaceX is even disrupting the culture of the spaceflight community is telling.
Thanks for the great opening post and NSF site entirety, Chris -- and patient, patient mods, too!!!
Grab a towel; let's go...

It just oc-curd to me that this was a well-hidden cheesy pun!  Well done sir  ;D

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
That SpaceX is even disrupting the culture of the spaceflight community is telling.
Thanks for the great opening post and NSF site entirety, Chris -- and patient, patient mods, too!!!
Grab a towel; let's go...

It just oc-curd to me that this was a well-hidden cheesy pun!  Well done sir  ;D

Wow, you're right! Gouda-n you for spotting that one!

It's threads like this where the only-like-posts-every-120-seconds restriction annoys the Shinjuku noodles out of me.

Just read  reallly, REALLLLLLYY        S L O O O O W W W L Y ....
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Mongo62

• Liked: 834
  • Likes Given: 156
I'm not an engineer, but I've been a fan of human spaceflight since I was a boy during the early days of Project Mercury. I watched all the launches on live black-and-white television. The decades since Apollo have been an ordeal of frustration and disappointment for me, despite the many extraordinary scientific achievements in space exploration using probes and robotic technology. The ISS has been an expensive underachiever, and the Shuttle failed to live up to the promise of reusability and low-cost access to space. In forty years, humankind hasn't gone anywhere beyond LEO! That's not what I and many people in my generation imagined would happen. Now comes SpaceX, and the dream has come alive again. I am absolutely addicted to this site. It's a privilege for a non-technical person such as myself to listen in to what informed technologists and space industry insiders are thinking and talking about, especially as pertains to the brilliant plans of Elon Musk and his team of creative designers, engineers, technicians, and administrators. I just hope I'm around to see the BFR blast off, carrying the first crew on the MCT to the Red Planet.  What a day that will be! Ad Astra!

Just about exactly what he said.  8)

Ditto for me. It's obvious that many of the people posting at NSF were first hooked on spaceflight in the 1960s. I don't know what fraction of people here remember, like me, watching Neil Armstrong stepping onto the Moon on live television, but it must be quite high. I surely never thought back then that Apollo would represent the high water mark of human spaceflight for half a century afterwards. The STS as built, while an impressive work of engineering, was a costly and needless detour, in my opinion. The ISS was impressive, but not the equal of Apollo/Skylab. But if Elon manages to succeed in his goal of rapid, low-cost reusability, for both launchers and spacecraft, that would truly be "one giant leap for mankind". And that's just the first leap! The BFR/MCT combo would be another, even if it is never actually used to go to Mars. There are plenty of other destinations that it would put into reach, such as the asteroids (which I personally think are much more practical than Mars from a colonization standpoint).

The bottom line for me is that Elon Musk is one of those rare figures that has accomplished, and will probably continue to accomplish, immense things for the benefit of humanity, in multiple fields (SpaceX, Tesla, Solar City -- all are likely to be of considerable positive signifiance in the 21st century future). Call me a SpaceX fanboi if you want, I will accept it as the compliment it is.
« Last Edit: 09/08/2014 02:37 am by Mongo62 »

Online wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3112
  • Likes Given: 3862
I love watching any rocket launch. And didn't miss a single one in the time I worked at CCAFS from Dec 99 to Jun 02.

But the SpaceX ones are interesting for a multitude of reasons. The 9 engines always amazes me and gets me giddy about the Falcon Heavy.  But what I find really exciting is they thing big and try things.  Most space technology in my lifetime, I'm 41, has been dull.  Minus the Hubble servicing missions! the shuttle was amazing but without an inspiring goal.  And almost all NASA led development efforts died before flying.

But SpaceX rounded up a bunch of smart crazy guys and said 'Go!' And with a fraction of the money have done a huge amount. They've been around awhile but started with nothing.

I look at them and their accomplishments like compound interest in investing.  Like a snowball rolling down hill.  Each capability and accomplishment allows the next step.  I think they are just at the start of showing what maybe possible. It's going to be exciting to see what they can do in the next 10 years. 

I don't think they'll be sending people to Mars but I'm an unabashed Lunar-nut

Edit: PS: I treasure this site, love the quality of content and check it each morning. Thank you Chris and Mods!

AD ASTRA!
« Last Edit: 09/08/2014 02:39 am by wannamoonbase »
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline dglow

• Liked: 2295
  • Likes Given: 4433
It's threads like this where the only-like-posts-every-120-seconds restriction annoys the Shinjuku noodles out of me.

Alright, since Antares brought it up... (and this is a party thread, so nothings really OT, right?)

The 120s rule is obnoxious, and several of us seem to agree. If it were to be changed, what might a sensible new value/rule be?

I'll start...

A) 3 likes per 120s in a given thread  (if possible)
B) 1 like every 30s globally

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8740
I joined in October, 2005.  My own experience is similar to many others here: the triumph of Apollo, and the hope that we would just keep on going.  I believe that our last best hope towards really getting off the planet and getting out there lies not in politicians, but in people like Musk.  Governments will jump on board, and politicians may try to grab the credit, but without the practical visionary, they are nothing.

"An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications"  Robert Heinlein

Sheesh, it's too early in the party for this!  Where that lampshade?
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline AndrewM

• Global Moderator
  • United States
  • Liked: 256
  • Likes Given: 751
For as long as I can remember I have loved space, space exploration, and space travel.When I heard the Shuttle program I was very sad until in one of my classes I had first heard of SpaceX. Until a few months ago my primary space news site was nasa.gov then when I was accepted into the Texas High School Aerospace Scholars program through JSC and I had to begin a bunch of research I stumbled across NSF. Since then I have been hooked and I spend so much time on the forums. Thanks Chris for creating this site and keeping us all up to date.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741

The above message is for everyone, but also for those who don't like these Party Threads.

Someone doesn't like these Party Threads?! Please name names, so that we can beat them with Shinjuku noodles. Courtesy of Elon.

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/508617476804866048/photo/1
« Last Edit: 09/08/2014 04:11 am by Kabloona »

Offline StealerofSuns

• Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 86
I'm a freshman in Mechanical Engineering right now, and I have been following SpaceX and spaceflight happenings in general since I was in the seventh grade. I'm looking to transfer to a university with Aerospace engineering within the next year or so. It's thrilling to finally be a step closer towards being a part of the future. Working for SpaceX is my dream, and this site has been inspiring.
Our remote descendants, safely arrayed on many worlds throughout the Solar System and beyond, will be unified by their common heritage, by their regard for their home planet, and by the knowledge that, whatever other life may be, the only humans in all the Universe come from Earth. -Sagan

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
Are they still going through with launching the rats/mice on this mission?

First SpaceX flys a Dragon with a Cheese wheel and no mice,
then they fly a Dragon with 40 mice and no cheese wheel. Can't we have a little bit of coordination here?  :D

Added to SpaceX's future launch schedule: test flight of a mouse strapped to a cheese discus in the hopes of catching a dragon.   :D

Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline DJPledger

• Liked: 506
  • Likes Given: 33568

Alright, since Antares brought it up... (and this is a party thread, so nothings really OT, right?)

The 120s rule is obnoxious, and several of us seem to agree. If it were to be changed, what might a sensible new value/rule be?

I'll start...

A) 3 likes per 120s in a given thread  (if possible)
B) 1 like every 30s globally
I agree, should allow 1 like every 30 seconds.

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
I'm not an engineer, but I've been a fan of human spaceflight since I was a boy during the early days of Project Mercury. I watched all the launches on live black-and-white television. The decades since Apollo have been an ordeal of frustration and disappointment for me, despite the many extraordinary scientific achievements in space exploration using probes and robotic technology. The ISS has been an expensive underachiever, and the Shuttle failed to live up to the promise of reusability and low-cost access to space. In forty years, humankind hasn't gone anywhere beyond LEO! That's not what I and many people in my generation imagined would happen. Now comes SpaceX, and the dream has come alive again. I am absolutely addicted to this site. It's a privilege for a non-technical person such as myself to listen in to what informed technologists and space industry insiders are thinking and talking about, especially as pertains to the brilliant plans of Elon Musk and his team of creative designers, engineers, technicians, and administrators. I just hope I'm around to see the BFR blast off, carrying the first crew on the MCT to the Red Planet.  What a day that will be! Ad Astra!

Describes my position perfectly.

Now comes SpaceX, and the dream has come alive again.

Offline Beittil

Signed up just to say I love NSF & forums :) Keep up the good work!

Offline Stellvia

• Leicester, United Kingdom
  • Liked: 115
  • Likes Given: 480
Cheese will have to wait. Elon is on a ramen pilgrimage.

Elon is a secret FSM worshipper? 8)
Rocketeers: A British view of commercial spaceflight:
http://www.rocketeers.co.uk/

Offline CuddlyRocket

Signed up just to say I love NSF & forums :) Keep up the good work!

Welcome to the forum! The good work is mainly done by members posting, so I encourage you to step right up ... :)
« Last Edit: 09/08/2014 09:14 am by CuddlyRocket »

Offline Jet Black

Cheese will have to wait. Elon is on a ramen pilgrimage.

Elon is a secret FSM worshipper? 8)

Everyone has a Ramen shaped hole in their heart. You think the cylindrical shape of the arteries and veins being the same cylindrical shape as noodles is coincidence? think again!
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Offline jdnz82

It took me far too many seconds to figure out/remember what you were on about with that cheese bit - bit I got there!
As the above 3 pages have mentioned - excellent first post Chris its really good to see your passion about things and i duno this shows it more than anything else i've read.

So firstly - thanks for all your efforts, and secondly - this is the perfect time to reintroduce: Biker Mice from mars!

« Last Edit: 09/08/2014 09:49 am by jdnz82 »

Offline Chris Bergin

Some really great comments in here. I really appreciate them all!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3112
  • Likes Given: 3862
Anyone else want to play, guess the launch date?

I going to pick Sep 29.
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
Anyone else want to play, guess the launch date?

I going to pick Sep 29.

How about Sept. 19?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography