Author Topic: Google+ hangout on asteroids with Lori Garver, Ed Lu and others  (Read 5383 times)

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7112
  • Likes Given: 3061
Google+ hangout on asteroids with Lori Garver, Ed Lu and others:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2013/05/28/we-geeks-asteroids

-Lori Garver, Deputy Administrator, NASA
-Bill Nye, Executive Director, Planetary Society
-Ed Lu, former astronaut and CEO, B612 Foundation
-Peter Diamandis, Co-Founder and Co-Chairman, Planetary Resources
-Jose Luis Galache, Astronomer at the International Astronomical Union’s Minor Planet Center
« Last Edit: 06/01/2013 04:42 am by yg1968 »

Offline Robert Thompson

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 658
Ed - Earth is a spaceship with crew; responsibility to not get hit with asteroids; B612 infrared; 1 kg of asteroid translates to between 20 and 50 times its weight in TNT upon impact
Peter - We're already mining asteroids that have hit the ground
Bill - collaboration mission increase total cost and decrease per nation cost
Binary asteriod - if you get size and period you get mass and density
Peter - With Arkyd (optical),  Atira class of asteroids (interior to Earth) can be discovered from Earth; 1000 estimated, 20 known,. Arkyd will do some fundamental discovery, but will be a beneficiary of B612.
Jose - 9,000,000 @ Chelyabinsk size, 17 meters.
Ed - 1,000,000 @ 40 meters - can take out LA Basin or Wash DC area; 1/10 size of (QE2 = 2.7km) or 270m enough to end human civilization
Peter - PRI hopes to create a sizable crowd like Zoonaverse and Galaxy Zoo, 100s of 1000s of people to help analyze data; create the smartphones of space; Kepler - like a piece of art vaporized and gone
Bill - laser ablation swarm?
Peter - donate Arkyd time to U Washington and MIT

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
The casual observer will look at this "hangout", pop a few pills for attention, and tell himself (or herself, I imagine) that the edge is being cut in real time.

Actually, if Hernalt's synopsis is accureate, and I have no intention of checking his work, the astute observer is witnessing Babylon.  Rastafarah!  But I diigress.

I am laying culpability for accurate reporting at Hernalt's feet.  If he is inaccurate, then my comments can be PageDowned.

Ed - Earth is a spaceship with crew; responsibility to not get hit with asteroids...

Elective war is fine, folks.  Watch out for the asteroids!  Alphas have such responsibilities!/  I'm so glad we epsilons don't have all that to worry about.

Peter - We're already mining asteroids that have hit the ground.

Chondrite futures are up.  Way up.

Bill - collaboration mission increase total cost and decrease per nation cost

Wow.  We'll increase total costs by spreading them over a larger population base, but wait!  Unit costs will decrease!

Binary asteriod - if you get size and period you get mass and density

You just have to know these facts for the quiz next Thursday.

Peter - With Arkyd (optical),  Atira class of asteroids (interior to Earth) can be discovered from Earth...

A classy buncha rox.

Jose - 9,000,000 @ Chelyabinsk size, 17 meters.

Ed - 1,000,000 @ 40 meters ...

Jose and Ed with the stats.

Peter - PRI hopes to create a sizable crowd like Zoonaverse and Galaxy Zoo, 100s of 1000s of people to help analyze data; create the smartphones of space; Kepler - like a piece of art vaporized and gone

Eat poop.  The crowd of a billyun flies can't be wrong.  These people evolved from monkeys!  And what do monkeys throw?

Bill - laser ablation swarm?

This would be good on a 'snorg' t-shirt, with a pouty blonde.

Peter - donate Arkyd time to U Washington and MIT

They're too busy at Spelman, Howard, and Morehouse for this shizit.
 (Tip o' the pin to Joe Dirt.)

I'm still a bit miffed that NASA employees are enjoined by law, apparently, from talking shop after work on Friday, over a drink.

If Hernalt's reporting is ture, that is Babylon, no more, no less.

Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography