Author Topic: Will 'SLS' ever be known by a different name?  (Read 157225 times)

Offline redliox

• Illinois USA
  • Liked: 683
  • Likes Given: 97
Re: Will 'SLS' ever be known by a different name?
« Reply #280 on: 02/08/2017 12:32 am »
There's always "The Good Ship Lollipop" if Elon doesn't use that for ITS.  ;)
"Let the trails lead where they may, I will follow."
-Tigatron

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #281 on: 02/08/2017 01:02 am »
Hmmm... it occurs to me that no-one has suggested SLS may stand for Slightly Less Stupid. That's a pretty reasonable engineer's joke.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18202
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #282 on: 02/08/2017 01:59 pm »
Hmmm... it occurs to me that no-one has suggested SLS may stand for Slightly Less Stupid. That's a pretty reasonable engineer's joke.

I agree. Compared to the previous BFR attempt, better known as Ares V, it is indeed only Slightly Less Stupid.

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #283 on: 02/16/2017 12:45 pm »
Lawmakers call for first NASA SLS rocket to be named for last man on moon
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-021617a-sls-name-cernan-rocket.html

Two U.S. lawmakers have authored new legislation to name the first of NASA's Space Launch System (SLS) heavy-lift rockets after the last man to leave footprints on the moon.

Congressmen John Culberson (R-TX) and Robert Aderholt (R-AL) introduced a resolution on Wednesday (Feb. 15) to christen the first launch of the SLS the "Cernan 1 rocket" in honor of Apollo 17 astronaut Eugene Cernan, who died on Jan. 16 at age 82.

"Cernan was devoted to making America's space program the best in the world," Culberson said. "I cannot think of a more fitting way to honor his legacy than the first launch of the Space Launch System carrying Capt. Cernan's name."

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2345
  • Likes Given: 2060
« Reply #284 on: 02/17/2017 01:09 pm »
I'm a bit confused:

Will there be a series of "Cernan" missions such as Cernan 2 in 2021 and so on and so forth?

Or is the rocket family going to be referred to as the Cernan 1 launch vehicles?
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
« Reply #285 on: 02/17/2017 01:14 pm »
I believe the intention per the legislation would be to call the launch vehicle the Cernan I, and the missions still being EM-1, EM-2, et cetera.
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline Mark S

• Dallas, TX
  • Liked: 396
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #286 on: 02/17/2017 07:27 pm »
As much as I admire and respect Gene Cernan's accomplishments, I can't see naming the SLS vehicle after him. If we were to start naming the rockets after real people, or even just astronauts, I could think of many who should be so honored ahead of Cernan: Werner Von Braun, John Kennedy, Neil Armstrong, the entire crews of Apollo-1, Challenger, and Columbia, etc.  What would be the justification for placing Cernan ahead of these (or any other) notable people?

We have few enough rockets, I think we can manage to keep finding worthy names in Greek and Roman mythology. I still favor Jupiter, or maybe Daedalus, Odysseus, or even Prometheus.
« Last Edit: 02/17/2017 07:34 pm by Mark S »

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #287 on: 02/17/2017 07:54 pm »
[sarcasm]
I'm sure we're all very happy that Congress is making the important decisions, like what to call the big rocket.  Almost as happy as we were to see it write the rocket's specifications into law, so that those incompetent engineers wouldn't be able to foul things up too much.

We should also be grateful for what Congress is not doing, like setting long-term goals or even for a moment considering the possibility American industry might be able to serve NASA's needs for deep-space launch.
[/sarcasm]

Offline Dante80

• Athens : Greece
  • Liked: 835
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #288 on: 02/18/2017 01:32 am »
Poseidon would be a good fit, since he is believed to be the father of Orion in one legend.

The legend of Orion was first told in full in a lost work by Hesiod, probably the Astronomia; simple references to Hesiod will refer to this, unless otherwise stated. This version is known through the work of a Hellenistic author on the constellations; he gives a fairly long summary of Hesiod's discourse on Orion.[6] According to this version, Orion was likely the son of the sea-god Poseidon and Euryale,[7] daughter of Minos, King of Crete. Orion could walk on the waves because of his father; he walked to the island of Chios where he got drunk and attacked Merope,[8] daughter of Oenopion, the ruler there. In vengeance, Oenopion blinded Orion and drove him away. Orion stumbled to Lemnos where Hephaestus — the lame smith-god — had his forge. Hephaestus told his servant, Cedalion, to guide Orion to the uttermost East where Helios, the Sun, healed him; Orion carried Cedalion around on his shoulders. Orion returned to Chios to punish Oenopion, but the king hid away underground and escaped Orion's wrath. Orion's next journey took him to Crete where he hunted with the goddess Artemis and her mother Leto, and in the course of the hunt, threatened to kill every beast on Earth. Mother Earth objected and sent a giant scorpion to kill Orion. The creature succeeded, and after his death, the goddesses asked Zeus to place Orion among the constellations. Zeus consented and, as a memorial to the hero's death, added the Scorpion to the heavens as well.[9]

Taurus would be another good fit, for this reason (in another legend) :

The margin of the Empress Eudocia's copy of the Iliad has a note summarizing a Hellenistic poet[12] who tells a different story of Orion's birth. Here the gods Zeus, Hermes and Poseidon come to visit Hyrieus of Tanagra, who roasts a whole bull for them.[13] When they offer him a favor, he asks for the birth of sons. The gods take the bull's hide and ejaculate or urinate into it[14] and bury it in the earth, then tell him to dig it up ten months[15] later. When he does, he finds Orion; this explains why Orion is earthborn.[16]

Offline JohnF

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #289 on: 02/20/2017 10:52 am »
As much as I respect Capt Cernan's dedication to our space program, think I'd still go with Jupiter for the launch vehicle, then call each mission Orion 1, 2, 3 etc., EM whatever isn't very catchy to the general public.

Offline Proponent

« Reply #290 on: 02/20/2017 11:36 am »
I think in general it's a bad idea to name things after astronauts.  They get all the glory, and their places in history are assured.  There are many less visible but equally or more important people behind the scenes -- engineers, technicians, managers and the like -- who do not get the recognition they deserve.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #291 on: 02/20/2017 01:48 pm »
"Space Launch System" is, and should remain, the name of this launch vehicle.  It is too late to pick a new name.  NASA named Saturn V pretty much right at the beginning, although it was called "Saturn C-5" for the first year until early 1963.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 02/20/2017 01:48 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
« Reply #292 on: 02/20/2017 02:01 pm »
"Space Launch System" is, and should remain, the name of this launch vehicle.  It is too late to pick a new name.  NASA named Saturn V pretty much right at the beginning, although it was called "Saturn C-5" for the first year until early 1963.

- Ed Kyle

This has become my position as well since making this thread. SLS is fine.
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #293 on: 02/20/2017 09:29 pm »
My guess, he wouldn't care for it.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #294 on: 02/20/2017 09:31 pm »
I think in general it's a bad idea to name things after astronauts.  They get all the glory, and their places in history are assured.  There are many less visible but equally or more important people behind the scenes -- engineers, technicians, managers and the like -- who do not get the recognition they deserve.

Then Someone should have a talk with Jeff Bezos. The New Sheppard, the New Glenn & the New Armstrong are name after you know who.

Offline Proponent

« Reply #295 on: 02/21/2017 09:11 am »
I suppose that in the case of a private business, it's not about giving credit where credit is due, it's about making money.  Because Blue Origin's customers will have heard of astronauts, New Armstrong is better for marketing than, say, New Dryden or New Kraft.

Offline su_liam

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #296 on: 05/24/2017 08:32 pm »
Has anyone made the suggestion yet of continuing with Von Braun's reasoning. Saturn was named for the one after Jupiter. Thus we have a name for SLS. The one after Saturn. The Mighty… er… wait… Uranus?!

Offline JazzFan

• Florida
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #297 on: 05/24/2017 10:36 pm »
Has anyone made the suggestion yet of continuing with Von Braun's reasoning. Saturn was named for the one after Jupiter. Thus we have a name for SLS. The one after Saturn. The Mighty… er… wait… Uranus?!

Just say no!   Come on NASA, lets get a proper name for this thing.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #298 on: 05/24/2017 10:49 pm »
Nova, Neptune, Odin, Jupiter....   Ares...
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Michel Van

• Liege, Belgium
  • Liked: 148
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #299 on: 11/11/2017 06:28 pm »
At NASA Werner von Braun called his rocket  Jupiter then Saturn after Planets of Solar system and well as the Roman god's

a logical successor to the Saturn series would be Uranus...

...ehh, ok let take Neptune there was between Saturn and SLS, the STS (Shuttle).

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography