Author Topic: Plan to put Indian on moon in 2020  (Read 14426 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 278
Re: Plan to put Indian on moon in 2020
« Reply #1 on: 11/02/2006 02:35 am »
I think we need to hear more of this sort of thing from China and give the US a motive to push on ourselves.

Offline Super George

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: 11/02/2006 04:14 am »
Is this overly hopeful, or could India do this? Will they need NASA help and could NASA make a load of cash from that?

Offline fdasun

« Reply #3 on: 11/02/2006 05:32 am »
Martin FL - 2/11/2006  11:18 AM

I think we need to hear more of this sort of thing from China and give the US a motive to push on ourselves.

Yesterday China Central TV Station (CCTV) reported that China is aiming at robotic missions of moon landing & return by 2020. Not mention anything of manned flights to moon at all.

Offline hoorenz

• Regular
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: 11/02/2006 05:57 am »
"A training centre — with a zero gravity chamber- too has to be constructed".

Wow....

Offline Dana

• Regular
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: 11/02/2006 07:10 am »
hoorenz - 1/11/2006  10:40 PM

"A training centre — with a zero gravity chamber- too has to be constructed".

Wow....

Antigravity! Woo-Hoo! Where do I sign up? :)
"Don't play dumb with me! You're not as good at it as I am!"-Col. Flagg

"'Second Place' is just the first loser."-Bobby Allison

Offline MartianBase

« Reply #6 on: 11/02/2006 08:34 am »
Super George - 1/11/2006  10:57 PM

Is this overly hopeful, or could India do this? Will they need NASA help and could NASA make a load of cash from that?

India has a wonderful culture, and great people but the government there is usually a mess, large scale poverty, child slavery, cast system....I'm happy to see the good and positive changes going on in India due to economic growth but there are still behind in many areas. On space they have done no projects for manned flights before, have launched some satellites but have little experience in exploration, and one the last ISRO launches ended in an explosion. As for India's robotic exploration, there isn't  much there and they have done little when compared to the achievements of the Japanese or Europeans.

I won't say its impossible for India to land a man on the Moon by 2020, but they don't even have a man-rated rocket and they'd want to get their program up to speed quick if they want to play with the big boys in Russia or the USA.

Offline hop

• Liked: 553
  • Likes Given: 891
« Reply #7 on: 11/03/2006 12:28 am »
MartianBase - 2/11/2006  1:17 AM
I won't say its impossible for India to land a man on the Moon by 2020, but they don't even have a man-rated rocket and they'd want to get their program up to speed quick if they want to play with the big boys in Russia or the USA.
Agreed, if it was a major national objective like Apollo was for the US, there isn't any reason to think they couldn't do it. However, given the much more pressing issues facing India at the moment, it's very hard to see that level of commitment.

If they pursue manned flight at all, I would expect it to be at a slow pace like the Chinese program. The first unmanned test flight of Shenzhou was in 1999. The first manned flight didn't come till 2003. The exact development timeline isn't clear, but according to astronautix, the agreement to buy Soyuz technology was completed in 1995, with construction of test articles started that year. That's 8 years from committing to the program to flying a manned flight, despite significant heritage from an existing spacecraft, and a fair bit of work on manned flight prior to that. Of course, China ended up with capable spacecraft, completely bypassing the Vostok/Voskhod/Mercury phase.

If they do follow roughly the same pace as China, that would put the first manned flight around 2014, which is what the article suggests. Hmm.

If India decided to start with a Vostok equivalent craft, development could be quicker. OTOH, they have less spaceflight experience than China did at the start of Shenzhou, and if they are serious about using indigenous technology, that will likely slow things down. A manned lunar flight only 6 years after the first manned flight seems highly optimistic, especially given the lack of a suitable launcher.

This article looks to me like the press once again confusing what the space program engineers want to do with what the politicians have committed to fund, but the talk of a near future capsule test is pretty intriguing.
A formal project report will be submitted to the government before the end of the year and trials will start in early 2007.

ISRO will conduct a space-capsule-recovery experiment. A 600-kg module, which will be hoisted by a PSLV (Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle) rocket, will orbit the earth for a week and splash down in the Bay of Bengal from where it will be retrieved. The experiment will be repeated in 2008.
Does this mean they have designed the initial capsule and are looking for final go-ahead to fly it ?  Unless they have actually started bending metal, the timeline seems pretty optimistic. There also doesn't seem to be any mention of this project on the ISRO site.

Converting the obscure units,  the reported cost is rs 100-150 billion, or roughly 2.2-3.3 billion USD at todays rates. That would be ~275-410 million USD/year for an 8 year program. For comparison, the entire ISRO budget for 2006-2007 was reported as $815 million here http://www.space.com/spacenews/archive06/Isro_030606.html

Payload wise, PSLV and GSLV are sufficient to launch a modest manned capsule, but neither would be my first choice for a manned launcher.

Offline Chris Bergin

RE: Plan to put Indian on moon in 2020
« Reply #8 on: 11/03/2006 03:16 am »
But India won't be seen as a "threat" - we need one of the bad boys to start pushing on this to give the US a reason to push themselves :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 435
« Reply #9 on: 11/03/2006 03:41 am »
MartianBase - 2/11/2006  4:17 AM

India has a wonderful culture, and great people but the government there is usually a mess, large scale poverty, child slavery, cast system....

China has its share of poverty, and it hasn't stopped them from putting together a manned space program.

Offline MartianBase

RE: Plan to put Indian on moon in 2020
« Reply #10 on: 11/03/2006 05:10 am »
Chris Bergin - 2/11/2006  9:59 PM

But India won't be seen as a "threat" - we need one of the bad boys to start pushing on this to give the US a reason to push themselves :)

India was something of a rival during the Coldwar, as far as I remember Nixon, Kissinger and even Carter hated them for their stance next to the Russians, Nixon used to call Indira Gandhi some nasty names.

Offline hop

« Reply #11 on: 11/03/2006 06:02 am »
vt_hokie - 2/11/2006  8:24 PM
China has its share of poverty, and it hasn't stopped them from putting together a manned space program.
Development wise, China is in a much better position. India is doing reasonably well, but it has nothing like the massive industrial base and huge trade surplus that China does. India is also a democracy, and so unlike China, would have to justify the expenditure to the people.

MartianBase
India was something of a rival during the Coldwar
The cold war is over :) and attitudes in Washington have obviously changed. In the 90s, we tried to block the transfer of cryogenic engine tech from Russia on the dubious grounds that it was missile proliferation (because as we all know LOX/LH2 makes great ICBMs...) Today, the administration is pushing for an agreement on selling civilian nuclear technology to them. Barring drastic changes, this pragmatic approach is likely to continue, as it is in our interest to promote the continued development of a reasonably stable secular democracy.

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1192
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #12 on: 11/03/2006 11:29 am »
Reasonably, they can do a human mission in Low Earth Orbit, and maybe have a kind of space station there by 2020.

Moon , I doubt it without an Ares V class system. They are far from that launcher wise.

Offline meiza

• Expert
  • Where Be Dragons
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #13 on: 11/03/2006 11:39 am »
Seems every month there is news that this nation (China, India, Japan, even EU) is going to put a Man On The Moon Real Soon Now... Blah blah.

Offline publiusr

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: 11/03/2006 05:13 pm »
The new GSLV III concept: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSLV_III

Offline HarryM

• California
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #15 on: 11/03/2006 06:10 pm »
"Show me the rupees..."

Offline meiza

• Expert
  • Where Be Dragons
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: 11/03/2006 06:45 pm »
publiusr - 3/11/2006  5:56 PM

The new GSLV III concept: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSLV_III

Interesting, a somewhat smaller Ariane V with storable mainstage... Considering the previous Indian launcher used Ariane 4 inspiration, I guess this is logical.

Offline hektor

« Reply #17 on: 11/07/2006 08:52 am »
They are announcing 150 billion rupees over 7 years (2007-14), i.e. 3 billion dollars for this spacecraft. Seems reasonable but would require an increase (100% ?) of the ISRO budget.

Offline hop

« Reply #18 on: 11/07/2006 09:32 am »
hektor - 7/11/2006  1:35 AM
They are announcing 150 billion rupees over 7 years (2007-14), i.e. 3 billion dollars for this spacecraft. Seems reasonable but would require an increase (100% ?) of the ISRO budget.
This years budget was reported as $815 million here http://www.space.com/spacenews/archive06/Isro_030606.html so it would be more like a 50% increase. No completely implausible, but not exactly small change either. This years figure was reportedly a 35% increase from previous years, and includes GSLV 3 development.

Offline hektor

« Reply #19 on: 11/07/2006 11:33 am »
Here is the outcome of the meeting of today :
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/008200611071540.htm
Bottom line : green light from the scientists, decision is now in the hands of the Indian government, sometimes in early 2007.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography