Author Topic: An prospective Indian satellite phone system?  (Read 1339 times)

Offline vineethgk

• India
  • Liked: 187
  • Likes Given: 265
An prospective Indian satellite phone system?
« on: 07/26/2017 10:11 am »

I have been having thoughts for some time on why the Government and ISRO haven't seriously considered developing an indigenous, secure satphone system for users such as various govt departments, emergency rescue services, military etc which operate in remote regions, areas of natural disaster, forests or those places with unreliable network reach. Such a system could even come in handy for connecting the ordinary folks in remote villages by providing a shared connection that provides voice and basic internet connectivity.

I happened to read an article today on the projects under way in Saankhya Labs in collaboration with ISRO, which happened to include the 'Samraat' system - a satellite phone module which supposedly could be paired with any Android smartphone. The idea looks pretty interesting to me.

https://factordaily.com/saankhya-labs-isro-android-satphone-samraat/

Perhaps the most ambitious platform Saankhya has developed in partnership with ISRO is an indigenous satellite phone system called Samraat. It currently works in the S-band but can also be modified to work in the lower L-band. The company claims this is the first indigenously developed satphone system that pairs with Android phones.
The Samraat module, which looks like a power bank with an antenna, can be connected to a standard Android smartphone via USB to be used as a satellite phone via an app. The company also plans to enable Bluetooth connectivity for the module so that the smartphone can be connected wirelessly to the module, which has 24 hours standby time and allows three to four hours talk time when fully charged.
The fact that Samraat, built around the Pruthvi chip, works on an indigenous system and via an Indian satellite makes it more secure than using a similar service from foreign providers.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography