Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : Starlink 4-1 : SLC-40 : November 13, 2021 (12:19 UTC)  (Read 70959 times)

Offline Jansen

• Liked: 2235
  • Likes Given: 373
Discussion thread for Starlink 4-1
NSF Threads for Starlink 4-1: Discussion

Successful launch November 13, 2021 at 7:19am EST (12:19 UTC) on Falcon 9 (booster 1058-9) from SLC-40. Successful ASDS landing on JRTI. Fairing recovery is expected from the water.

Payload: A batch of 53 Starlink satellites. Expected deployment orbit of approximately 210x340km at 53.2 degree inclination.

SpaceX is targeting Friday, November 12 for a Falcon 9 launch of 53 Starlink satellites to orbit from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida. The instantaneous launch window is at 7:41 a.m. EST, or 12:41 UTC, and a backup opportunity is available on Saturday, November 13 at 7:19 a.m. EST, or 12:19 UTC.

The booster supporting this mission previously launched Crew Demo-2, ANASIS-11, CRS-21, Transporter-1, and four Starlink missions. Following stage separation, SpaceX will land Falcon 9’s first stage on the Just Read the Instructions droneship, which will be stationed in the Atlantic Ocean. One half of Falcon 9’s fairing previously supported the GPS III-4 mission and a Starlink mission, and the other previously supported another Starlink mission.

Please use the Starlink Discussion Thread for all general discussion on Starlink.

Check the Starlink Index Thread for links to more Starlink information.

L2 SpaceX:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=60.0

From a previous mission's Press Kit:
Each Starlink satellite weights approximately 260 kg and features a compact, flat-panel design that minimizes volume, allowing for a dense launch stack to take full advantage of Falcon 9’s launch capabilities. With four powerful phased array and two parabolic antennas on each satellite ... At end of their life cycle, the satellites will utilize their on-board propulsion system to deorbit over the course of a few months. In the unlikely event their propulsion system becomes inoperable, the satellites will burn up in Earth’s atmosphere within 1-5 years, significantly less than the hundreds or thousands of years required at higher altitudes. Further, Starlink components are designed for full demisability.

Starlink is targeting service to near global coverage of the populated world by 2021. Additional information on the system can be found at starlink.com.
« Last Edit: 11/13/2021 01:19 pm by gongora »

Offline Jansen

Re: SpaceX F9 : Starlink v1.0 L29 : Florida : June 2021
« Reply #1 on: 05/09/2021 07:07 am »
0069-EX-ST-2021 Starlink RF Mission 6-2 STA application

0069-EX-ST-2021 Starlink RF Mission 6-2 Grant

Offline Jansen

« Reply #2 on: 05/14/2021 04:05 pm »
Based on the busy schedule, I don’t expect this launch until mid June.

L28 - 26 May
SXM-8 - 01 June
CRS-22 - 03 June
GPS III SV05 - 17 June

Maybe 15 June from LC-39A

Offline scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
  • Liked: 1685
  • Likes Given: 1595
« Reply #3 on: 05/29/2021 12:41 am »
The recent SFN article doesn't mention any Starlink launches planned from Florida in June and says the next Starlink will launch from California NET July.

Question is, do we call the first polar launch L29, or something else?

EDIT: Ben Cooper also doesn't mention any upcoming Starlink launches from Florida anymore.
« Last Edit: 05/29/2021 12:51 am by scr00chy »

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7392
  • Likes Given: 72419
« Reply #4 on: 05/29/2021 01:07 am »
The recent SFN article doesn't mention any Starlink launches planned from Florida in June and says the next Starlink will launch from California NET July.

Question is, do we call the first polar launch L29, or something else?

My bold:
But the launch of the 60 newest Starlinks Wednesday [May 26] could be the last dedicated Starlink mission to take off from Florida’s Space Coast, at least for a while. The next Falcon 9 rocket fully loaded with Starlink satellites is scheduled to launch in July from Vandenberg Space Force Base, California.
<snip>
Once the 60 quarter-ton satellites launched Wednesday [May 26] arrive at their operational altitude of 341 miles (550 kilometers), SpaceX should have more than the 1,584 spacecraft required to to populate the 341-mile-high Starlink shell at an inclination of 53 degrees.
<snip>
Future Starlink launches will deliver satellites to higher-inclination orbits, including two polar shells inclined 97.6 degrees to the equator, a layer in 70-degree inclination orbits, and another group at 53.2 degrees, slightly off-angle from the 53-degree shell that is nearly full.

A SpaceX regulatory filing with the FCC requesting authority to operate rocket telemetry transmitters suggests the company plans six Starlink missions from Vandenberg through January 2022, beginning as soon as July. The one launch per month cadence matches what industry sources have previously told Spaceflight Now.

I'll draw an analogy with atomic physics. In the transition, lanthanide, and actinide elements, physics can load electrons into a d or f shell "out of order" with filling the s or p shells.

Also, SpaceX has a recent habit of announcing Starlink Florida launches on short notice.  An absence of announced Starlink flights, as of May 28, does not preclude June Starlink launches from Florida.

Also, No Earlier Than July is just that, NET. As noted here and in the article, there's no ASDS yet delivered to Long Beach.  A lot can change in a month regarding SpaceX operations, but NET July does not ensure a Vandenberg Starlink launch in July.

Is there any reason why SpaceX would not start launching the Starlinks destined for 53.2 deg inclination orbits from Florida as soon as possible?  Perhaps June 2021?

We'll also have a better idea of SpaceX's Vandenberg plans in the near future if B1051 is also shipped to California, as B1049 was.
« Last Edit: 05/29/2021 01:16 am by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Re: SpaceX F9 : Starlink v1.0 L29 : Florida : NET July 2021
« Reply #5 on: 05/30/2021 06:25 pm »
Cross-post:
https://nextspaceflight.com/launches/details/5333
Starlink V1 L29
Launch Time
NET July, 2021
"Only" four Falcon 9 launches planned in June!
« Last Edit: 05/30/2021 06:40 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Jansen

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #7 on: 06/19/2021 06:25 pm »
(PDF)

Possibly July 12

Context:
That launch date is supposedly somewhere in the linked document.
The document, in turn, is a 38 page legal filing by SpaceX’s lawyers arguing against a stay of Starlink launches sought by Viasat. 
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Online oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 5005
  • Likes Given: 1444
« Reply #8 on: 06/19/2021 09:58 pm »
(PDF)

Possibly July 12

Context:
The document, in turn, is a 38 page legal filing by SpaceX’s lawyers arguing against a stay of Starlink launches sought by Viasat.
Based on when the document was prepared it's accuracy about numbers of Starlink launches and when may or likely may not represent reality. The key item in that document which is borne out by the fact that in H1 2021 there have been 13 Starlink launches in 6 months or just barely over 2 a month. That has alway been the SpaceX plan for an average of 2 Starlink launches a month. Meaning that the actual number for any particular month can be a value between 0 and 5.

Plus at the time of the brief preparation there was an FH launch scheduled in July with another launch of something else as well so just 2 Starlinks. Now that those two other launches have moved to later it is possible that more Starlink launches will happen in July and much sooner than July 12th.

Online smoliarm

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 717
  • Likes Given: 611
« Reply #9 on: 06/19/2021 11:22 pm »
(PDF)

Possibly July 12

Context:

from this document, page 33, paragraph 10:
The next launch of Starlink satellites is currently scheduled to occur on
July 12, 2021, followed by a scheduled launch on July 30, 2021, and after that
SpaceX has an average of two Starlink launches per month planned for the rest of 2021.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #10 on: 06/19/2021 11:32 pm »
Plus at the time of the brief preparation there was an FH launch scheduled in July with another launch of something else as well so just 2 Starlinks. Now that those two other launches have moved to later it is possible that more Starlink launches will happen in July and much sooner than July 12th.

This is nonsense.  SpaceX knew the FH was slipping long before the brief was prepared.  The lawsuit was just filed this month.

Offline Jansen

« Reply #11 on: 06/20/2021 12:00 am »

This is nonsense.  SpaceX knew the FH was slipping long before the brief was prepared.  The lawsuit was just filed this month.

Brief was filed June 14.

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 07/02/2021 02:27 am »
Cross-posts:
I’m hearing that the Eastern Range is entering a stand down period. Also known as recapitalization, this is so that critical maintenance and upgrade work can be performed on Range assets.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/06/30/spacex-rocket-hauls-88-small-satellites-to-orbit/
SpaceX had 26 launches last year, the most in the company’s history. If its near-term launch manifest remains on schedule, SpaceX could reach the 26-launch mark by late August or September.

Looks like SFN is expecting at least 4-5 Starlink launches in the next couple of months.

Online oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 5005
  • Likes Given: 1444
« Reply #13 on: 07/03/2021 12:26 am »
Cross-posts:
I’m hearing that the Eastern Range is entering a stand down period. Also known as recapitalization, this is so that critical maintenance and upgrade work can be performed on Range assets.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/06/30/spacex-rocket-hauls-88-small-satellites-to-orbit/
SpaceX had 26 launches last year, the most in the company’s history. If its near-term launch manifest remains on schedule, SpaceX could reach the 26-launch mark by late August or September.

Looks like SFN is expecting at least 4-5 Starlink launches in the next couple of months.
If the range is doing a stand down it is likely only for 2 or 3 weeks at most since the Starliner launch is for the last week of July.

Offline Thunderscreech

• Liked: 950
  • Likes Given: 583
Re: SpaceX F9 : Starlink : Florida : NET July 2021
« Reply #14 on: 07/06/2021 12:41 pm »
Possibly this launch?  There's nothing else on the calendar I can find that seems more plausible but maybe I'm missing something.

https://twitter.com/SpaceTfrs/status/1412386511492890624?s=20
Ben Hallert - @BocaRoad, @FCCSpace, @Spacecareers, @NASAProcurement, and @SpaceTFRs on Twitter

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
« Reply #15 on: 07/06/2021 12:58 pm »
Looks like it might be for the CRS-22 splashdown. There are two other TFRs off Jacksonville and Daytona at that time too.
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline Thunderscreech

• Liked: 950
  • Likes Given: 583
« Reply #16 on: 07/06/2021 01:14 pm »
I think you're right, the shaded part of the map that usually maps to a launch TFR fooled me and I should have noticed the actual geometry of the TFR.

That's a capsule recovery RIGHT off the shore of KSC/CCSFS, like almost feet-dry.  Sorry for the confusion, looks like I picked the wrong day to stop drinking acetone.
Ben Hallert - @BocaRoad, @FCCSpace, @Spacecareers, @NASAProcurement, and @SpaceTFRs on Twitter

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: 07/10/2021 08:08 pm »
Cross-post:
Recapitalization of range assets is underway. It depends on when it will be completed.
The lack of a TFR indicates the 12 July launch is pushed back.

Also, please note that neither the spaceflightnow.com nor the nextspaceflight.com launch schedules include a July Falcon 9 launch from Florida.

However, we all know that Florida Starlink launches may be revealed by TFR's, NOTAM's, etc. only a few days before launch--especially so if there is no Static Fire preceding.
« Last Edit: 07/10/2021 08:19 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: 07/15/2021 11:01 pm »
Also, please note that neither the spaceflightnow.com nor the nextspaceflight.com launch schedules include a July Falcon 9 launch from Florida.

Cross-post:
http://www.launchphotography.com/Launch_Viewing_Guide.html [updated July 12]
FALCON 9

The next SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from Cape Canaveral is TBA. Upcoming Falcon 9 launches include Starlink missions. And a Falcon 9 will launch the cargo Dragon CRS-23 resupply mission to the ISS from pad 39A on mid-late August around 5-6am EDT.

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: 07/23/2021 08:31 pm »
FYI cross-posts; perhaps circumstantial evidence for a July 31 Starlink launch, as there are no known activities requiring the Eastern range on that date.

We'll see soon if any TFRs or NOTAMs appear that match a KSC or Canaveral launch.

I wonder what range conflict? There's no launches scheduled on the Eastern Range in that time frame.
They said there was a range conflict on July 31, didn't say what it was.
Suggestion of a Starlink launch beginning of August?
If they have to delay from July 30 the next flight opportunity is August 3.
Due to range conflict:
https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/1418336291259785216
If OFT-2 doesn’t launch on July 30, next opportunity would be Aug. 3 because of a range conflict. OFT-2 can also launch and attempt ISS docking even if the Nauka module has not yet arrived.

Edit; cross-post:
I wonder what range conflict? There's no launches scheduled on the Eastern Range in that time frame.
Not all range ops are launches and some are classified.
« Last Edit: 07/25/2021 02:10 am by zubenelgenubi »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography