Author Topic: Endeavour Viewing inside the VAB  (Read 27539 times)

Offline yorky10

• West Yorkshire, UK
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Endeavour Viewing inside the VAB
« on: 10/19/2011 03:19 am »
I've been in the VAB today and spent about 10mins lingering forward of Endeavours nose. Awesome to be in the VAB and a amazing opportunity to see Endeavour up close. Highly recommended if anyone is around heading to KSC. Best $20 ever spent in the history of the US dollar!!!!!!
Launches - STS-115, STS-117, STS-123, STS-125, STS-132, STS-135, WGS3, Kepler, MSL
Endeavour Flyout From SLF
Scrubs - STS-122, STS-133

Offline Walter S

• WV/FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1 on: 10/19/2011 04:31 pm »
I've been in the VAB today and spent about 10mins lingering forward of Endeavours nose. Awesome to be in the VAB and a amazing opportunity to see Endeavour up close. Highly recommended if anyone is around heading to KSC. Best $20 ever spent in the history of the US dollar!!!!!!

Great to hear that they have finally started opening the doors to the public once again!

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #2 on: 10/19/2011 05:00 pm »
The VAB is now on the public tour and you can walk right up by Endeavour??
Brett
www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

Orbiters I have visited in retirement:

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline yorky10

• West Yorkshire, UK
« Reply #3 on: 10/19/2011 09:41 pm »
Yes but it's just a trial at the moment. They said it would become part of the Discover KSC tour in the next couple of weeks. I think they are changing the name back to Up Close as it used to be. I will post a couple of pics tomorrow when I get home. It was awesome.....
Launches - STS-115, STS-117, STS-123, STS-125, STS-132, STS-135, WGS3, Kepler, MSL

Offline yorky10

• West Yorkshire, UK
« Reply #4 on: 10/20/2011 07:15 pm »
As promised. 3 of our pictures from inside VAB on Tuesday.

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
« Reply #5 on: 10/20/2011 07:44 pm »
That is VERY cool that they are doing that now, Id make a trip down to Florida just for that
Brett

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline yorky10

• West Yorkshire, UK
« Reply #6 on: 10/20/2011 07:50 pm »
That is VERY cool that they are doing that now, Id make a trip down to Florida just for that

http://www.aa.com ;)

Offline mahannd

• Cincinnati, OH
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #7 on: 10/21/2011 12:20 pm »
A trip just for that is so tempting! Christmas present!?!

Offline yorky10

• West Yorkshire, UK
« Reply #8 on: 10/22/2011 07:30 pm »
A trip just for that is so tempting! Christmas present!?!

It's certainly less risky than a launch trip......

Offline gordo

• Liked: 26
« Reply #9 on: 10/29/2011 09:37 pm »
The VAB is officially part of the KSC Up close tour from Nov 1st

Online Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #10 on: 10/29/2011 10:41 pm »

Jsut wondering, is the SSPF off the tours now?  It was the day after the -135 launch as "nothing is there" according to the tour guide ( i disagreed, but still did not get to go)

Offline yorky10

• West Yorkshire, UK
« Reply #11 on: 10/30/2011 08:38 am »

Jsut wondering, is the SSPF off the tours now?  It was the day after the -135 launch as "nothing is there" according to the tour guide ( i disagreed, but still did not get to go)
Yes I think it is off. I went a couple of times last week and all buses went between the VC, LC-39, Saturn V and not the SSPF.

Offline TFGQ

• Liked: 1
« Reply #12 on: 11/03/2011 12:44 pm »
Poor endeavour!!!!!
Life is a magical thing -- Laurel Clark

Offline Jon Long

• Michigan
    • STS-135: The Grand Finale
« Reply #13 on: 11/03/2011 01:00 pm »
Does anyone have any knowledge of when Endeavour is expected to be swapped with Atlantis in the VAB? I heard November 18th for the swap -- is that still on target?

Any estimation of how long Atlantis will be in the VAB after the swap? I am thinking of making a trip down there the first weekend in December for this tour, but am on the fence as I would really like to see one of them up close. Even in their less than optimal state.   :-\
Launches: 133, 134, 135

Offline Walter S

• WV/FL
« Reply #14 on: 11/03/2011 03:28 pm »
Does anyone have any knowledge of when Endeavour is expected to be swapped with Atlantis in the VAB? I heard November 18th for the swap -- is that still on target?

Any estimation of how long Atlantis will be in the VAB after the swap? I am thinking of making a trip down there the first weekend in December for this tour, but am on the fence as I would really like to see one of them up close. Even in their less than optimal state.   :-\

From what I heard earlier this week, the 18th is still the swap date. Not exactly sure when Atlantis will head back over to the OPF, but i'd guess it would be a couple months at least from the time she makes it over to the VAB.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #15 on: 11/03/2011 03:52 pm »

From what I heard earlier this week, the 18th is still the swap date. Not exactly sure when Atlantis will head back over to the OPF, but i'd guess it would be a couple months at least from the time she makes it over to the VAB.

Nov. 18 for Endeavour/Atlantis swap.

Early Jan 2012 for Atlantis/Discovery swap as Discovery is scheduled to have completed all T&R processing by late-December 2011.

Discovery will then remain in storage in VAB HB 4 until her scheduled April 12 ferry flight to the Smithsonian.

Reference: http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2011/08/endeavour-discovery-swap-places-new-retirement-dates-planned/
« Last Edit: 11/03/2011 03:55 pm by ChrisGebhardt »

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
« Reply #16 on: 11/03/2011 03:54 pm »
So when Discovery is completed, she will be moved back to the VAB in full display form until she is shipped? That would be the time to go on the tour then
Brett

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #17 on: 11/03/2011 03:56 pm »
So when Discovery is completed, she will be moved back to the VAB in full display form until she is shipped?

Yes.

Offline Jon Long

• Michigan
    • STS-135: The Grand Finale
« Reply #18 on: 11/03/2011 04:05 pm »
Hmm.. very interesting. Thanks for the information guys, much appreciated.

So, this does change things. I'd like to see either Endeavour or Atlantis in the VAB, but kind of disappointing/depressing if they are sitting there stripped of their OMS, SSME, and RCS pods.

If the likelihood exists that Discovery will be sitting in the VAB post-processing and museum-ready between January-April that would be the time to go for sure.

Is it expected that Discovery will be in the same VAB bay as currently occupied by Endeavour and that it would likely be visible during the close-up tour?

What do you think the risk is that KSC would discontinue the up-close tour prior to Discovery making an appearance? Any information on the length of time they expect to run the tour?

I'd really hate to skip Endeavour/Atlantis viewings in hopes of holding out for Discovery only to see the tour wrapped up or cancelled...    :'(

Thanks
Launches: 133, 134, 135

Offline Walter S

• WV/FL
« Reply #19 on: 11/03/2011 04:43 pm »
Hmm.. very interesting. Thanks for the information guys, much appreciated.

So, this does change things. I'd like to see either Endeavour or Atlantis in the VAB, but kind of disappointing/depressing if they are sitting there stripped of their OMS, SSME, and RCS pods.

If the likelihood exists that Discovery will be sitting in the VAB post-processing and museum-ready between January-April that would be the time to go for sure.

Is it expected that Discovery will be in the same VAB bay as currently occupied by Endeavour and that it would likely be visible during the close-up tour?

What do you think the risk is that KSC would discontinue the up-close tour prior to Discovery making an appearance? Any information on the length of time they expect to run the tour?

I'd really hate to skip Endeavour/Atlantis viewings in hopes of holding out for Discovery only to see the tour wrapped up or cancelled...    :'(

Thanks

Think of it as an opportunity seeing an orbiter without the SSME's, OMS and FRCS. Sure, they may not be complete, but this is most likely the last time you will ever see them in this configuration. Just a thought.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography