Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 6  (Read 720979 times)

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3112
  • Likes Given: 3862
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 6
« Reply #700 on: 01/02/2018 09:59 pm »
Notice it says constructed  One would think activity would have to start now to meet an optimistic 4th quarter
completion.

Building a new site from the ground up will be a mixed blessing.  It's free of the inefficiencies of CCAFS and KSC.  However, they have to do lots of civil work and slow items like concrete flame trenches that can't be rushed.

They do have lots of experience now and I'm sure they are going to enjoy the clean slate.  But this won't be fast.

I'm skeptical of the need for BC, but it will be fun to see them add yet another site.
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline Jcc

• Liked: 404
  • Likes Given: 203
« Reply #701 on: 01/02/2018 10:14 pm »
Notice it says constructed  One would think activity would have to start now to meet an optimistic 4th quarter
completion.

I think this puts to rest the idea that they have decided not to build a F9/FH launch site. Other people may think differently.

Offline Craig_VG

• Liked: 730
  • Likes Given: 528
« Reply #702 on: 01/02/2018 10:46 pm »
I think this puts to rest the idea that they have decided not to build a F9/FH launch site.

That photo is community content (speculation) and has no bearing on the actual plans of SpaceX

Online theinternetftw

• www.theinternetftw.com
  • Liked: 2195
  • Likes Given: 1000
« Reply #703 on: 01/03/2018 01:38 am »
Just to make it clear, this comes from this reddit post and, from reading the comments there, is one reader's attempt to describe the coming year.

So much for "just to make it clear."  Hopefully folks get it now :)

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60430
  • Likes Given: 1305
« Reply #704 on: 01/03/2018 04:35 am »
  For what it's worth, the people building the crane warehouse say the plan is to tear it down in two years. It's not finished yet. They still need to put the big door in. It looks like they might be able to put everything on dollys and drag it out the door if they had to.
« Last Edit: 01/03/2018 09:57 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline SPITexas

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #705 on: 01/03/2018 05:57 am »
  For what it's worth, the people building the crane warehouse say the plan is to tear it down in two years.

I heard from a guy that has a contract with SpaceX, a business
Amigo Contruction from Brownsville he said SpaceX told us where supposed to build 2 buildings in the near future.  Get this Amigo Contruction helped build the crane house pretty sure they still have a contract with SpaceX.
« Last Edit: 01/03/2018 05:58 am by SPITexas »

Offline smh

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 90
« Reply #706 on: 01/03/2018 07:34 am »
DM-2 seems to be missing

Offline Silmfeanor

• Utrecht, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 403
  • Likes Given: 722
« Reply #707 on: 01/03/2018 01:20 pm »
People, the earlier linked article is fan-made. That means it is not from SpaceX. The information on it is speculation, from a fan-source. Stuff on there might not happen; stuff that will happen is not on there.

Boca Chica being on there is not information from SpaceX. It does not mean that SpaceX will build Boca Chica by Q4 2018.

Are we clear, and can we stop talking about it now?

Online theinternetftw

• www.theinternetftw.com
  • Liked: 2195
  • Likes Given: 1000
« Reply #708 on: 01/03/2018 05:56 pm »
Seriously. It's taken a surprising amount of posts to this effect from multiple people. Although this exercise does now mean that the devil in me is thinking about making a powerpoint slide with the SpaceX logo slapped on it a few times that says "Actually, lets make flying cities on Venus instead."

Offline rsdavis9

Seriously. It's taken a surprising amount of posts to this effect from multiple people. Although this exercise does now mean that the devil in me is thinking about making a powerpoint slide with the SpaceX logo slapped on it a few times that says "Actually, lets make flying cities on Venus instead."

Dam I thought I was the only one thinking mischievous thoughts of starting a fake story. :)
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
« Reply #710 on: 01/03/2018 08:35 pm »
 I've been playing with a cheap, Chinese ptz webcam and a telescopic Channel Master 41 foot pole. The pole is only about 16 feet up at the moment because I'm still working on guys. The camera seems to be surprisingly solid for a no name, low cost knockoff but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't last long. I mainly want to see if 40 feet will clear the large tree between me and the control center. When they start getting serious out here, I'll probably think of getting a 50 foot Rohn 25.

Of all the names for a remote camera, "Infrared Cloud Billiards Machine" isn't one I would have guessed.

« Last Edit: 01/04/2018 01:04 am by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline whitelancer64

NOMADD CAM

It's been a long time coming.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline IanThePineapple

I need NomaddCam© in my life

Also, I don't really care about how bad the camera is, just as long as it works and shows something good
« Last Edit: 01/03/2018 09:04 pm by IanThePineapple »

Offline SPITexas

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #713 on: 01/03/2018 09:09 pm »
I've been playing with a cheap, Chinese ptz webcam and a telescopic Channel Master 41" pole. The pole is only about 16 feet up at the moment because I'm still working on guys. The camera seems to be surprising solid for a no name, low cost knockoff but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't last long. I mainly want to see if 40 feet will clear the large tree between me and the control center. When they start getting serious out here, I'll probably think of getting a 50 foot Rohn 25.

How many cameras are you going to get 2? So both are  facing the control center/ tracking dishes and launch site?  Or just one?   Can see your ready to record progress with the NomaddCam.

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
« Reply #714 on: 01/03/2018 09:17 pm »
I've been playing with a cheap, Chinese ptz webcam and a telescopic Channel Master 41" pole. The pole is only about 16 feet up at the moment because I'm still working on guys. The camera seems to be surprising solid for a no name, low cost knockoff but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't last long. I mainly want to see if 40 feet will clear the large tree between me and the control center. When they start getting serious out here, I'll probably think of getting a 50 foot Rohn 25.

How many cameras are you going to get 2? So both are  facing the control center/ tracking dishes and launch site?  Or just one?   Can see your ready to record progress with the NomaddCam.
  Not really much of a webcam when there's no web. My internet is a smartphone in the kitchen window, so it's just a Cat5 to my laptop now. It was easier once I figured out they had the wrong IP on the label.
 PTZ means pan/tilt/zoom. If we ever get real internet out here, I'll figure everything out. The cam has a built in web page, so it's pretty simple. Kinda glitchy using a browser, but DaveG seems to know his way around a packet so I figure he'd be a good source of advice if it ever goes online.
« Last Edit: 01/03/2018 09:52 pm by Nomadd »

Offline IanThePineapple

Not really much of a webcam when there's no web. My internet is a smartphone in the kitchen window. It's just a Cat5 to my laptop now. It was easier once I figured out they had the wrong IP on the label.
 PTZ means pan/tilt/zoom. If we ever get real internet out here, I'll figure everything out. The cam has a built in web page, so it's pretty simple. Kinda glitchy using a browser, but DaveG seems to know his way around a packet so I figure he'd be a good source of advice if it ever goes online.

Cough COUGH Starlink

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
« Reply #716 on: 01/03/2018 09:45 pm »
 I'm still working the bugs out. Literally. I thought I'd burnt the sensor the first hour looking at the sun or something, and found a big Miller moth sitting on the lens.
« Last Edit: 02/28/2018 05:45 am by Nomadd »

Offline IntoTheVoid

• USA
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #717 on: 01/03/2018 10:07 pm »
Of all the names for a remote camera, "Infrared Cloud Billiards Machine" isn't one I would have guessed.

Clearly, with the ICBM acronym they knew you'd be aiming the camera at rockets. And if you read it fast you can almost get 'Internet Cloud Billionaire's Machine', which might lead one to believe that they knew you were going to use it to watch SpaceX, or Blue Origin, (or Stratolaunch - less likely)

Offline groundbound

• Liked: 405
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #718 on: 01/03/2018 11:48 pm »
When the launch site gets going, you'll need to request that they declare a moth keepout area for launch days.

Offline TripD

• Peace
  • Liked: 851
  • Likes Given: 677
« Reply #719 on: 01/04/2018 01:27 am »
  If we ever get real internet out here, I'll figure everything out.

You have to laugh a little at the irony in all of this.  ;)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography