Author Topic: SpaceX DragonFly Discussion Thread  (Read 375278 times)

Offline rpapo

Re: SpaceX DragonFly Discussion Thread
« Reply #720 on: 08/04/2016 05:21 pm »
Interesting.  Clear for one kilometer around, but it can only fly up to 80' (~25m) above the ground?  And here I thought the new lease with the city of MacGregor said they couldn't go flying around at all.
Following the space program since before Apollo 8.

Online abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5274
« Reply #721 on: 08/04/2016 05:44 pm »
Interesting.  Clear for one kilometer around, but it can only fly up to 80' (~25m) above the ground?  And here I thought the new lease with the city of MacGregor said they couldn't go flying around at all.
A lease with the city and an FAA permit would not be the same things, a city ordinance could still deny things allowed in the FAA permit.  I would imagine SpaceX negotiated something similar with the city though.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #722 on: 08/04/2016 07:14 pm »
A lease with the city and an FAA permit would not be the same things, a city ordinance could still deny things allowed in the FAA permit.  I would imagine SpaceX negotiated something similar with the city though.

Here's what was reported about the agreement with the city.

In addition, the actual launching of any vehicle into the atmosphere or into space is specifically prohibited at the McGregor facility.

http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/McGregor--City-modifies-SpaceX-rocket-testing-rules-378857891.html

However, we've seen that the press is not always entirely accurate, so maybe there's an allowance for low-altitude Dragonfly hops.
« Last Edit: 08/04/2016 07:18 pm by Kabloona »

Offline fthomassy

• Austin, Texas, Earth, Sol, Orion, Milky-Way, Virgo, Bang 42
  • Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 2952
« Reply #723 on: 08/04/2016 08:28 pm »
Perhaps
... actual launching of any vehicle into the atmosphere or into space ...
is interpreted as flying outside the property boundaries.
gyatm . . . Fern

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #724 on: 08/04/2016 09:37 pm »
Perhaps
... actual launching of any vehicle into the atmosphere or into space ...
is interpreted as flying outside the property boundaries.

Flight outside the property boundaries would never be allowed anyway by FAA, so I don't think that's what the clause meant. It seems more likely directed at Grasshopper/F9RDev flights. There were talks of moving F9RDev flights to Spaceport America before SpaceX mothballed the program.
« Last Edit: 08/04/2016 09:39 pm by Kabloona »

Offline CuddlyRocket

« Reply #725 on: 08/05/2016 01:42 am »
In addition, the actual launching of any vehicle into the atmosphere or into space is specifically prohibited at the McGregor facility.

There'll probably be some definitional sections somewhere that have a bearing on this. After all, on the face of it 'any vehicle' prohibits getting to and from the site by helicopter. Also, no more drone camera shots! And what does 'into the atmosphere' mean? Off the ground or above a certain height?

Offline winkhomewinkhome

• Eugene OR
  • Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 3023
« Reply #726 on: 10/02/2016 04:55 pm »
Any updates on DragonFly testing?  Yes BIG Mars plans and RTF aside, should there be some concern with the silence?
Dale R. Winke

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography