Poll

Should there be more limits on who can post UPDATES in SpaceX

Yes
162 (50.9%)
No
156 (49.1%)

Total Members Voted: 318

Author Topic: Poll: Should there be more limits on who can post UPDATES in SpaceX threads?  (Read 33744 times)

Offline cuddihy

• Liked: 580
  • Likes Given: 935

Offline RocketLover0119

• Space Geek
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 6791
  • Likes Given: 1609
10,000% yes, though would maybe just limit it to big days such as static fires/launch days.

And more specifically, starship related things. Starship nowadays is a thing that is becoming popular (doh!)  ;)
« Last Edit: 03/30/2021 04:43 pm by RocketLover0119 »
"The Starship has landed"

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3065

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
I’d say no, but with some exceptions. It should by default NOT be restricted, but perhaps with some way to turn on restriction temporarily if mods see it’s a big problem.

I have accidentally posted in the updates before but I quickly move it over to discussion.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline GruiicK

• Lyon, France
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1542

Offline Rekt1971

• Liked: 304
  • Likes Given: 1167
I would not limit it for most of the time, but I would absolutely limit it during launch and for a while after it.

Usually, somebody posts in the update thread by accident and it's not a big deal (happens to everybody). The same cannot be said whenever something major happens and it is a little annoying.

Offline Joey D

• NJ, USA
  • Liked: 113
  • Likes Given: 49
I voted no.

However, it is not clear if the poll is "should there be more limits on who can post to the 'UPDATES' threads in SpaceX forums" or is it "who can post updates to any threads in SpaceX forums."

I have no issues with rule enforcement (being subject to a few myself of course).  This forum does have the most strict and "precise" (and numerous) rules I have ever seen for a forum.  It's like a condo HOA on steroids.  :)

This is not a complaint about the rules.   However, when you factor in the plethora of rules in combination of what is likely MANY new members that join specifically out of SpaceX interest...you are going to need more moderation than usual in the SpaceX forums.

So hats off to the mods (seriously) for doing your job...hopefully relatively new members (like me) will quickly learn the ropes after a couple of hand slaps.
« Last Edit: 03/30/2021 04:58 pm by Joey D »

Offline philw1776

• Seacoast NH
  • Liked: 1842
  • Likes Given: 983
Elsewhere it has been suggested that UPDATE threads have a button that you must select to post. The button comes up stating something like "UPDATE Thread Only! Do not post replies & discussion"
« Last Edit: 03/30/2021 05:11 pm by philw1776 »
FULL SEND!!!!

Offline RocketLover0119

• Space Geek
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 6791
  • Likes Given: 1609
This is why I said yes. I think on a regular basis, it doesn’t need to be locked to certain people, but as said, I think on launch days before, during, and some time after some people should have posting roles.

(Pointing out the bottom post, not top. Good job Steven)  ;)
« Last Edit: 03/30/2021 05:06 pm by RocketLover0119 »
"The Starship has landed"

Offline Jeff Lerner

• Toronto, Canada
  • Liked: 270
  • Likes Given: 240
I voted No....for the most part we don’t have a problem in other threads where there is an Update and Discussion thread...members need to do a better job of policing themselves....and failing that the mods can send those posters who don’t seem to get the message to “the penalty box” for the day..

Offline Everything Space

• Space Editor
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 22
I think yes, but only on launch days and not only too L2 but anyone who can prove themself that they are reliable.
Although, it doesn't bother me that much that we see the occasional mistake so I am a little turn.
« Last Edit: 03/30/2021 05:14 pm by Everything Space »
Avid Starship and all space stuff fan

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
No - Absolutely not

If we're going to start gate-keeping here, why not just drop the pretence and make the site read-only except to L2 members and verified aerospace professionals?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818
No. A lot of times people come to this forum who are new but also in the industry. If they're blocked from posting we won't get any input from such people. Further, having a blessed curated list of posters puts too much division into the community (there's enough between the moderators and normal posters already).

These problems only crop up during major events where we get a flood of new people posting. Most of the time it isn't a problem on these forums.
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
A better solution would be to have a pop up on update threads that says "You're posting on an update thread, are you actually posting an update?" with an option to shut the popup off in forum settings for people who commonly post updates. If people ignore the popups and post clear non-updates then they can be given temporary bans by the moderators.
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
This is why I said yes. I think on a regular basis, it doesn’t need to be locked to certain people, but as said, I think on launch days before, during, and some time after some people should have posting roles.

(Pointing out the bottom post, not top. Good job Steven)  ;)

RocketLover, you've posted non-updates in the updates thread yourself a few times today. So I'm not sure why you're complaining. I reported at least one of your posts today that was in the updates thread.
« Last Edit: 03/30/2021 05:21 pm by mlindner »

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
Yes - But with the caveat that it should only be enabled during launches/events. Not otherwise.

Yes - But with the caveat that it should only be enabled during launches/events. Not otherwise.

I agree. People should be allowed to post new information between launches but shouldn't be allowed to argue/theorize on launch day.  :)

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA

I agree. People should be allowed to post new information between launches but shouldn't be allowed to argue/theorize on launch day.  :)

No. Arguing/theorizing on launch day is fine, as long as it's not in the updates thread and it shouldn't be allowed in updates threads even on non-launch days.

Offline Cody Smith

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Yes. Several of the people saying no are frequent violators of the updates only rule. Joey D literally just had a post removed a few minutes ago.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography