Author Topic: LIVE: STS-135 Flight Day 13 EOM-1 - FCS C/O, RCS Hotfire, PicoSat  (Read 127647 times)

Offline Melroy Fan

• Peoria, Arizona
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 180
Great -- Guest Commentary coming up is with Shannon Lucid.  Was hoping they would be able to talk with her on one of these missions.

Glad to see the "Goddess of the Universe" (given to her during STS-58 by Commander John Blaha.)

Met her in 1994 at the Women in Aviation Conference in Orlando. Very, very nice lady.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 3933
  • Likes Given: 2020
This is cool.  I wonder if this Guest Commentary was saved for the end... :)
« Last Edit: 07/20/2011 11:55 pm by psloss »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 649
  • Likes Given: 7418
Shannon Lucid. Describing first shuttle launch.
Mentioning records, including # wake up songs  :)

CAPCOM: really enjoyed it. Next best thing to being in space is working CAPCOM. They talk to crew. Stands for CAPsule COMmunicator, and describing the role. Have to be able to listen to what's going in the room, cognicence, and flight Director's approval.

Best Highlights: Enjoyed all my time CAPCOMing. Can't pick out just one particular instance. Same with space, a variety of experiences. Launched various satellites into space, prime for Gallileo Spacecraft, flying on SpaceLab mission (with 48 rats), working like a real scientist. Inserting cathators into the tail veins of the rats  (eeewww).

1 3/4 years in headquarters. How it interracted with HQ. After spending an extended period of time there gave an appreciation of it.

SO many things the shuttle program has given us (America, and the world): 1 thing it did was open space up to a wide variety of human beings. People from all walks of life. Also people from other nations have had an opportunity to fly into space.

Just 1 more wake-up call: do you go sentimental? Just another day? It's not just another day in space. Last flight of Atlantis. Atlantis is special; all the shuttles are wonderful vehicles. Flown on Atlantis a few times.

Will watch the landing on the big screen.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia

Quite likely.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
Not sure if this one was covered, but putting it up regardless:

Propulsion Systems Flight Control Team

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 159
  • Likes Given: 99
As Chris is keeping this thread open a little while longer, I’d like to add a few comments.

There’s a million things I could say, but as Clongton noted over in the Apollo 11 anniversary thread today, sometimes it’s hard to put our feelings about space exploration into words.

My father was a Navy fighter pilot, so I was around flying machines and pilots all my young life.  I was 11 years old and living on a Navy base in Corpus Christi, TX, when Neil and Buzz landed on the moon.  I had my Saturn V plastic model proudly displayed on top of the TV while we watched.  My dad had friends at Grumman, and he was able to get me two Apollo instrumentation gauges.  I think they’re from the LM  (I still have them somewhere).

My interest blossomed with Skylab. My father also got me the Skylab Mission Operations manual from a friend he knew. In the pre-internet days, it was really cool to read that! Then in 1977, I started reading Aviation Week magazine – THE space bible in those days. I followed all of Enterprise’s Approach and Landing tests, and was excited about the coming age of “regular space travel”.

Columbia’s maiden flight was a special time. I watched the launch and landing on the TV, marveling at a spacecraft with wheels!  I was filled with pride. I even baked a cake to celebrate, with a shuttle model placed proudly on the cake!  My parents probably though I was crazy, but they enjoyed my enthusiasm. 

Over the many years since then I followed every flight with books, magazines, and whatever television was being broadcast – whether it was cable or just the nightly news.

When Challenger happened, my heart was ripped out.  It was just devastating. It took a long time to recover. But I was proud that we as a nation kept pushing on. I supported the Challenger Center to help them in their goal of science education for kids. When Endeavour flew the first time, it was very satisfying to have the fleet “back up to full strength”.

I followed the funding battles for Space Station Freedom in the late 80s and early 90s, even writing Congress and encouraging all my friends to do so the year that the space station came within one vote, I believe, of being cancelled in the House!  But the vote passed, and eventually the contractors starting “bending metal” for the ISS.

Five years ago I discovered this wonderful home for space enthusiasts and professionals: NASASpaceFlight.com. Chris Bergin has done a tremendous job, ably assisted by a top team of contributors and moderators, in creating this superb resource.

Through NSF, I attended the STS-123 launch in 2008 and met several of my fellow NSFers for dinner at Fishlips, in Port Canaveral. I also attended the Augustine hearings, spoke during the public comment period, and met & chatted with folks like Kraisee, Clongton, OV-106, and others.

I’m proud to be a part of such a great group of people.  It has enriched and reinforced my enthusiasm for space flight. The news articles and L2 content have added greatly to my knowledge, and the forum is a lively and interesting place to spend time in.

Finally, as Atlantis prepares to land tomorrow for the final time, I want to say thank you to the many thousands of great NASA and contractor folks who have poured their hearts into what has to be the greatest job in the world – supporting America’s space shuttle program.  You have made this nation proud.

Thank you,
David

edit: spelling
« Last Edit: 07/21/2011 12:14 am by Alpha Control »
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4532
  • Likes Given: 13519
While I do not have Pete’s eloquence:
On the ending of the Shuttle program and the last flight day a tribute…
poem by Rhoda Galgiani

White Swan, White Swan ~

White Swan, White Swan,
Where have you gone?
You use to be so plentiful,
On the shimmering water pond.

Beautiful feathers like
Cloud puffs at your side,
Long neck flowing that moves
To and fro as you glide.

White Swan, White Swan
Come back to us fast.
Your gracefulness, your beauty
We long for you too last.

Without you dear Swan
Our lives would be gray.
We long for your beauty
So stay, please stay,
And never go away.

Safe landing Altlantis...
« Last Edit: 07/21/2011 12:22 am by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
probably a repeat pic but I must say, I am going to miss that arm.... :)

Hey Stockman, see ur from Canada.  I put a joke up in the one thread. Hope Atlantis would get sent to EAFB and disapear like the "Canada Arrow"

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline hygoex

• Northeast Georgia
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
I remember seeing the shuttle's early missions in 1st grade, and having my father write notes to the teacher, so I could see it. 

I remember my cousin changing the channel on July 4, 1982, right as Columbia was making her turn around the HAC.

I remember my RLC teacher, Abigail McKinnon, getting to be one of the finalists for Teacher in Space.   I went to Huntsville for a field trip after Challenger, and saw SpaceCamp, and the movie set for SpaceCamp.   

I remember where I was when I got the news of Challenger.  It was from Mrs. McKinnon's predecessor, Mr. Adams.   We were in line to use the restroom, and Mr. Adams announced the tragedy.

I learned about Columbia's demise through the Internet message boards. 

My friend, Misty, and I went to see my aunt today.  Misty and I went shopping at Wal-Mart during STS-121's launch.   When Discovery went up on her next flight, Misty got me home to see 116 "light up the night sky as we continue to build the International Space Station".   I even gave Misty some Discovery models afterward, joking she "adopted" Discovery.   

I was privileged to enjoy a shuttle launch back in the spring of 2010, watching it from a hill.   It was before sunrise, and at SRB sep, I said, "I didn't see anything."   Then I looked and there was the green cloud.   I knew that was the exhaust from the SRBs. 

I pay for my L2 subscription, and I feel honored that I was able to go behind the scenes.   Thank you guys.

Online lucspace

• Hilversum, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 163
  • Likes Given: 3
Any word on when/if the Picosat photo's of Atlantis will be released? And what happened with the footage of the ET 'destruct camera'?

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
Any word on when/if the Picosat photo's of Atlantis will be released? And what happened with the footage of the ET 'destruct camera'?

Still waiting to hear word on L2 of the ET footage. I'm sure it's the same for the picosat images.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4532
  • Likes Given: 13519

Still waiting to hear word on L2 of the ET footage. I'm sure it's the same for the picosat images.
I think Leroy said a couple of weeks for ET
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 3933
  • Likes Given: 2020

Quite likely.
Yes and no.  CapCom and then (now) Flight Director Paul Dye.  (I have a few more questions to ask about this.)
« Last Edit: 07/21/2011 12:46 am by psloss »

Offline AlTarkus

Are there any plans for reuse of the MCC? Can't count the hours I've had NASA TV on and seen people manning the consoles.

Kind of sad to think of it dark and empty after tomorrow.

Offline Chris Bergin

I've got my feelers out ;)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1857
  • Likes Given: 972

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1857
  • Likes Given: 972
call me crazy, but I dont think CT is that far away from ET....

Offline jessjess

LOL! Just took a picture of that error

Offline emrock78

I want to thank Chris for opening up the thread today for these wonderful tributes. Seems as good a time as any for my first post...

Like many others the Space Shuttle has been a part of my life as long as I can remember. Some of my earliest memories were of watching commercial deployments and satellite retrievals with my father in the early 1980’s. That was great stuff for a young kid and really fired the imagination!

And then we lost Challenger. It’s strange how a lifelong passion can arise from such a terrible event, but nonetheless it happened. In the days, weeks and months that followed I developed an insatiable appetite for all things spaceflight. And I couldn’t get enough of the Space Shuttle. Sources were pretty limited back then, whatever was on the evening news and a handful of books at the public library. I must have renewed those books hundreds of times!

And so I was hooked, and have been ever since. For more than 25 years these amazing vehicles have been a constant in my life. They are like old friends. Three of my favorite memories were of seeing Discovery, Atlantis, and Endeavour in flight with my own eyes. Two of those were launches (STS-71 and STS-133), and this past May I watched Endeavour and the ISS soar over my house in the middle of the night. The weather had been terrible but the clouds finally cleared the night before she landed. It was an indescribably bittersweet moment as Endeavour sailed overhead and then beyond the horizon.

No matter what the future brings, it pains me to think we will never see these beautiful winged spacecraft fly again. But in these final hours of the Space Shuttle program, I am going to focus on entry and landing, and once Atlantis rolls to a stop I will toast 30 years of amazing accomplishments.

I will also toast all those who have made this possible. Thank you for your service to our country and humanity. I wish you all the very best in the future.

And to Chris and the entire NSF team, thank you for everything you do to make this site possible.

From a certified Shuttle hugger…
« Last Edit: 07/21/2011 02:02 am by emrock78 »
Eric

Offline Chris Bergin

And still the great comments keep coming. Top work.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography