Author Topic: LIVE: STS-135 Flight Day 6-7 - Transfers/Off Duty  (Read 100441 times)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4545
  • Likes Given: 13523
Re: LIVE: STS-135 Flight Day 6-7 - Transfers/Off Duty
« Reply #240 on: 07/14/2011 09:25 pm »
Dragon should be berthing not docking...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #241 on: 07/14/2011 09:27 pm »
SpaceX C2/C3 combine "plan to" - expected to be December, or early 2012.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #242 on: 07/14/2011 09:27 pm »
More SRB replays.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 649
  • Likes Given: 7473
« Reply #243 on: 07/14/2011 09:28 pm »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #244 on: 07/14/2011 09:28 pm »
CATO :)

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
« Reply #245 on: 07/14/2011 09:28 pm »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #246 on: 07/14/2011 09:29 pm »
Brandi now at the helm.
« Last Edit: 07/14/2011 09:29 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline racshot65

• Aaron Kalair
  • Coventry, England
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #247 on: 07/14/2011 09:29 pm »
Chris Edelen

Pleased to report another good day of operations
Crew made good progress transferring cargo
Atlantis crew are 70% with MPLM and Middeck transfer 10,000lbs of cargo being brought up on Atlantis
Most cargo is now on the right side of the hatches
Main task is now to get the return cargo safely stowed
Bringing back some old quick don masks Ė emergency mask that provides oxygen
And a Vos Duke bed from the Russian CDRA- itís large so coming back in the MPLM
Cargo transferred to station
Combustion integration rack Ė fuel bottles to study how fire behaves in 0g
A new treadmill track
A hydrogen dome sensor for the OGS Ė used as part of the system which takes water and splits it into hydrogen and oxygen
We have a new device that takes the hydrogen form the OGS combines it with CO2 from the CDRA and puts out water
This produces methane which we vent overboard but could be used for rocket fuel in the future

ISS crew did some science and cleaning
Ron cleaned some ducting
Mike performed a space suite water loop scrub
Mike and Ron together organised node 3 end cone to create a more organised space, this is where ARES is located
Russian crew spent several hours trouble shooting there treadmill, we believed a gyro had failed so we brought one up on STS 135. Installing it didnít fix the problem, the gyro is receiving power but not spinning up so the problem may be in the controller.

Tomorrow the crew is doing more cargo transfer and theres a joint news conference
And doing some space suit resizing work

Questions

Q: More details on Sebatier?

A: Sebatier is part of the regenerative life support system. It takes hydrogen from the OGS and combines it with the waste C02 from the CDRA to produce water and methane.

Q: Talk about the split between science and stowing tasks going forward?

A: When the mission was first planned there was no time for science. The extra day and crew efficiency allowed us to add some science operations. Looking at additional science towards the end of the mission.

Q: On the TVIS gyro was the plan to bring the suspected bad one home? Are you still doing so? (Philip!)

A: Plan is still TBD. Itís being discussed by the engineers and FC With the new gyro giving the same signature it seems the gyroscope wasnít faulty. If it isnít faulty why return it? Keeping it on station does take up space though. Want to delay the decision as late as possible

Q: How big is the gyro could the dragon capsule bring it down? (Philip)

A: It will easily fit through the CBM, donít know mass. (Shows how big it is with his hands, see picture)

Q: How important is it to stow things in the MPLM as per the plan?

A: We are aiming for a 90% full MPLM by volume. Everything will have to be stowed in its proper place to ensure the COG is correct. Have plenty of flexibility to adapt in real time.

Q: Did mission control take part in the shared meal?

A: That didnít happen today the crew did go the shuttle for a joint meal (not with MC) this evening.

Q: What benefits does the Copula bring?

A: The prime robotics workstation is in the Copula, the windows provide a great view to enhance there situational awareness. Its useful for earth photography, we send the crew a message every day with a few features on the ground we want them to look at and take pictures for scientists.

Q: Any tasks that still need to be performed before undocking?

A: Need 120 hours to load MPLM to 80% volume can now get it to 90% volume in that time. Every night Sandy gives us an update on what was transferred and the ground team calculates how many hours are remaining.

Q: Could you extend the mission ?

A: We could stay indefinitely as the shuttle isnít using propellant whilst docked, the shuttles CMG is maintaining attitude. The limiting consumable is cryogenic oxygen and hydrogen. We committed our cryo margin to add the extra day so will undock on Tuesday to ensure we have enough cyro to go to EOM +2

Q: Will you give Space X permission to dock?

A: Itís on the books, look forward to having them dock in December

Q: Combining COTS 2/3?

A:  Plan is to combine them. Working towards early December but it may slip.

Q: When did NASA formally approve the Space X docking?

A: Donít have the exact date would have to check it was formally approved

Q: Are you ahead of schedule on cargo transfer?

A: 12 hours ahead

Q: Whats wrong with the TVIS?

A: The gyro has to spin quickly to provide gyroscopic stability. It stabilises the treadmill when you hitting it whilst running. Were seeing the gryo receive power but not spin up. So weíve looked at if itís a failure of the gyro or cable. Replaced both, nothing changed. So it could be the vibration isolation controller. Swapping that out in the future.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1860
  • Likes Given: 976
« Reply #248 on: 07/14/2011 09:30 pm »
Indeed she does!!!  She's the last of the Tarawa class assault ships.  Pete, to put things in perspective, I had more Harriers on the flight deck of my fifth ship, Bataan during my 2003 deployment to Iraq than Admiral Sandy Woodward had in his entire South Atlantic Task Force in 1982.  Our sister ship Bonhomme Richard had just as many during the same deployment.

And to put that in perspective, the Tarawa class is a baby compared to the nukes (Nimitz and Enterprise) related to this flight as Hurley is Marine Aviation and Ferguson Naval Aviation:

Tarawa class is in the back
« Last Edit: 07/14/2011 09:31 pm by Ronsmytheiii »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #249 on: 07/14/2011 09:31 pm »
Great work Aaron, and awesome screenshot of the FD ;D

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #250 on: 07/14/2011 09:32 pm »
transfer 70% complete, which is twelve hours ahead of what was on the timeline

At the start of today, we were 50% complete. Bearing in mind that today was only a half transfer day (due to off duty time), that equates to a rate of 20% per half day, or 40% per full day. So, even if tomorrow is 10% less efficient than today, we could be done with transfer by this time tomorrow! :)

There are other things to consider, however, such as crew fatigue, size and difficulty of stowing items, lost items, etc.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #251 on: 07/14/2011 09:33 pm »
Indeed she does!!!  She's the last of the Tarawa class assault ships.  Pete, to put things in perspective, I had more Harriers on the flight deck of my fifth ship, Bataan during my 2003 deployment to Iraq than Admiral Sandy Woodward had in his entire South Atlantic Task Force in 1982.  Our sister ship Bonhomme Richard had just as many during the same deployment.

And to put that in perspective, the Tarawa class is a baby compared to the nukes (Nimitz and Enterprise) related to this flight as Hurley is Marine Aviation and Ferguson Naval Aviation:

And speaking of the task force we sent down to the Falklands, it was two carrier battle groups, with HMS Hermes and HMS Invincible being the carriers.
« Last Edit: 07/14/2011 09:34 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
« Reply #252 on: 07/14/2011 09:37 pm »
Chris Edelen
Q: Whats wrong with the TVIS?

A: The gyro has to spin quickly to provide gyroscopic stability. It stabilises the treadmill when you hitting it whilst running. Were seeing the gryo receive power but not spin up. So weíve looked at if itís a failure of the gyro or cable. Replaced both, nothing changed. So it could be the vibration isolation controller. Swapping that out in the future.

Great job Aaron, thanks!
« Last Edit: 07/14/2011 09:38 pm by robertross »

Offline NavySpaceFan

• Defender of All Things Nautical!!!
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #253 on: 07/14/2011 09:43 pm »

And speaking of the task force we sent down to the Falklands, it was two carrier battle groups, with HMS Hermes and HMS Invincible being the carriers.

Very true Chris!  The South Atlantic War is a hobby of mine, and Hermes and Invincible are two of my favorite ships of that era.  But each of those ships were only 26,000 to 20,000 tons respectively.  The US Tarawa and Wasp classes weigh in at 40,000 tons each (the same size as a WW II class CV).  The Nimitz, nearly 100,000 tons!!!!  My carrier was in the middle at 85,000.
<----First launch of DISCOVERY, STS-41D!!!!

Offline Life_Support_32

• Houston, TX
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #254 on: 07/14/2011 10:12 pm »
transfer 70% complete, which is twelve hours ahead of what was on the timeline

At the start of today, we were 50% complete. Bearing in mind that today was only a half transfer day (due to off duty time), that equates to a rate of 20% per half day, or 40% per full day. So, even if tomorrow is 10% less efficient than today, we could be done with transfer by this time tomorrow! :)

There are other things to consider, however, such as crew fatigue, size and difficulty of stowing items, lost items, etc.
Yeah, the last items are going to take a while as the PMM is stuffed full, such that they can barely fit a person in there.  Already talking about needing time during the stage once Atlantis leaves to re-arrange everything...

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 2222
  • Likes Given: 814
« Reply #255 on: 07/14/2011 10:29 pm »
the crew is active on the mission audio feed discussing some kind of GPC error with #4.  They're working a procedure and talking about antenna configurations and Ku settings. 
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #256 on: 07/14/2011 10:32 pm »
ready for sm OPs 201
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #257 on: 07/14/2011 10:34 pm »
antennas upper left forward in a minute and a half

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 3965
  • Likes Given: 2053
« Reply #258 on: 07/14/2011 10:35 pm »
Just switched over, heard the go for OPS 201...now asking for manual antenna select in a minute...should be coming back to commentary soon, so hopefully will get a recap.
« Last Edit: 07/14/2011 10:35 pm by psloss »

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #259 on: 07/14/2011 10:35 pm »
taped event over, maybe some details now...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography