Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 375484 times)

Offline Dappa

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 62
  • Likes Given: 76
Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #60 on: 09/09/2013 06:36 am »
I also noticed that when you're browsing a section, it's not very clear in which section you are. The section title is almost hidden, compared to the way a topic title is displayed, as shown in the two attachments.

And while I was posting the above, I noticed the following about attaching attachments:
- You always have to expand the attachment section first.
- After the first attachment, you already have to click "(more attachments)" to attach more files. There were 2 lines by default in the old forum, I'd like to see 3 or 4 of them.

In a live thread, these two things will probably hamper one's ability to efficiently post updates with screen shots.

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6537
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #61 on: 09/09/2013 08:33 am »
small update:
Location on profile is back per request, for iphone users who don't like the wap2 link at the bottom for better
viewing, I suggest trying tapatalk (as many members have suggested for mobile devices and we finally installed it)

Offline Dappa

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 62
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #62 on: 09/09/2013 08:44 am »
What happened to the acronyms list? I found that, and having known acronyms underlined in the threads, really useful features (especially when I was a bit newer to the forums). Will it stay away forever, or is it planned to return?
« Last Edit: 09/09/2013 08:45 am by Dappa »

Offline eeergo

« Reply #63 on: 09/09/2013 09:51 am »
Can we get back the "Next" button in the Pages links at the bottom and top of the discussion pages? I was used to clicking those as the word is longer than the number, and made for easier clicking without having to be too precise about scrolling.
-DaviD-

Offline HOTTOL

• Paris - France
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #64 on: 09/09/2013 09:55 am »
About the Public Forums.
Plusses : much faster, better readability.
Minuses :
  - Where are the previous/next buttons for page change ?
  - I'm running XP-IE8. The Public Forum header has a strange looking (see picture) while the NSF Articles' one is OK.

Offline spectre9

• Australia
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #65 on: 09/09/2013 10:22 am »
Thanks for the upgrade guys.

Now the wish list.

Upgraded emoticons / smilies  ;D  :o  ::) - They look old and tired for the new look forum.

Like button - Of course

Updated acromnym list (thanks for brining that up Dappa). Many have just been outdated shuttle lingo, lots of new acronyms thrown in the soup all the time.

Pictures embedded into a post - This annoys me slightly. Much easier to illustrate a point when you can integrate pictures into your post. I think for a learning forum such as this one such an upgrade is vital at some point.

Those silly squares below the names look ugly. Not sure what to replace them with, how about shock diamonds?
« Last Edit: 09/09/2013 10:23 am by spectre9 »

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18203
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #66 on: 09/09/2013 10:49 am »
Thanks for the upgrade guys.

Now the wish list.

<snip>

Pictures embedded into a post - This annoys me slightly. Much easier to illustrate a point when you can integrate pictures into your post. I think for a learning forum such as this one such an upgrade is vital at some point.

Embedding pictures in posts was possible in the 'old' forum, but it was actively discouraged from by the moderators. Forum rule is to attach images, not embed them. Possibly, with this new forum, that rule has been implemented technically as wel. (in other words: made technically impossible).

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
« Reply #67 on: 09/09/2013 11:13 am »
Small updates done:

- quick reply box bigger
- collapsed part of the attachments to a post is now expanded
- added Go Up and Go Down buttons for people who don't like scrolling
- minor tweaks

more coming :)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #68 on: 09/09/2013 11:15 am »
What happened to the acronyms list? I found that, and having known acronyms underlined in the threads, really useful features (especially when I was a bit newer to the forums). Will it stay away forever, or is it planned to return?

That was a really buggy part of the old forum, resulting it in being just a list in the end. Not sure if that's workable to have back on this new forum, to be honest.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline William Graham

• Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #69 on: 09/09/2013 11:15 am »
Would it be possible to slightly increase the font size for preformatted text (the "pre" element - see the Consolidated Launch Schedule thread). It's currently rendering about the same size as quotes, but since it needs a monospaced font it is in Courier, which isn't very easy to read at that size.

Offline Jeff Lerner

• Toronto, Canada
  • Liked: 270
  • Likes Given: 240
« Reply #70 on: 09/09/2013 11:42 am »
I've noticed something viewing a topic on my iPad in Safari. When I click on a topic I'm taken to the last page of the topic and can see the last post. The Forward page button at the top of the screen is correctly disabled as at that point there is no page to forward to.

However if I click on the Back page button it doesn't work, that is it doesn't take me back to the previous web page. I have to click the Back page button a 2nd time to go back to the previous web page.

Offline apace

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #71 on: 09/09/2013 11:51 am »
Good work, but I miss one or two minor features... first one for the eyes, please align your boxes, so that it will be on one line, looks much more professional. Second, mark the selected menu as active for easier navigation.

Offline apace

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #72 on: 09/09/2013 11:54 am »
Bug on my side? Missing some image with following URL:
http://devforum.nasaspaceflight.com/Themes/default/images/post/.gif

Offline MP99

« Reply #73 on: 09/09/2013 12:48 pm »
Tapatalk is showing wrong times. Latest posts indicate 4 hours old. Profile is correct on website with EDT -4 correctly showing times.

I just corrected the server time settings, can you take a look at your profile again (http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=profile;) and see if the time there is displayed correctly for you ? After that, try again in tapatalk
Please set it back to GMT, living in a +1/+2 time zone and setting +7 in the settings is very confusing. It'll also show times in proper GMT for those not logged in.

Agreed, would be easiest.

Cheers, Martin

Offline spectre9

• Australia
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #74 on: 09/09/2013 01:23 pm »
I see new smilies are starting to appear.  :D

>:( - He looks very grumpy  :P

Thanks.

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #75 on: 09/09/2013 01:32 pm »
Was there a separate Mobile site before ?

When I bring up the forums on my iPhone, I currently see the "normal" pages that would appear on my laptop monitor instead of being formatted for the smaller screen. I think I might miss that "Go to page" button.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #76 on: 09/09/2013 01:53 pm »
That was a really buggy part of the old forum, resulting it in being just a list in the end. Not sure if that's workable to have back on this new forum, to be honest.

I bet there's a Firefox (and other) plug-in for acronym lists in general or a coder could whip one up pretty fast.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline LucR

• Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #77 on: 09/09/2013 02:17 pm »
Can we get back the "Next" button in the Pages links at the bottom and top of the discussion pages? I was used to clicking those as the word is longer than the number, and made for easier clicking without having to be too precise about scrolling.
Second that, much easier to click especially on an iDevice!

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
« Reply #78 on: 09/09/2013 02:30 pm »
Next button coming back soon.... (doing the programming as we speak)
« Last Edit: 09/09/2013 02:37 pm by Jester »

Offline AJW

• Liked: 1315
  • Likes Given: 136
« Reply #79 on: 09/09/2013 02:33 pm »
When listing a series of pages, the typical UI is a 'Next' button to go to the next page.  This 'Go Up' button is located where a 'Next' should be, and seems to behave like 'Top' to indicate top of page.

We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography