Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 - JCSAT-14 - May 6, 2016 - DISCUSSION  (Read 349481 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/01/spacex-win-contract-jcsat-14-falcon-9/

Resources:

SpaceX News Articles from 2006 (Including numerous exclusive Elon interviews):
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=21862.0

SpaceX News Articles (Recent):
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/tag/spacex/

=--=

SpaceX GENERAL Forum Section:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=45.0 - please use this for general questions NOT specific to this mission.

SpaceX MISSIONS Forum Section:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=55.0 - this section is for everything specific to SpaceX missions.
« Last Edit: 07/31/2016 11:49 am by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 - JCSAT-14 - May 6, 2016 - DISCUSSION
« Reply #1 on: 01/10/2014 06:50 pm »
Great news and thanks for the quick reporting.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #2 on: 01/10/2014 07:18 pm »
A nice contract win and a decent NSF write up  ;)
Anyone know if this would be launched from Vandenberg?
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #3 on: 01/10/2014 07:19 pm »
A nice contract win and a decent NSF write up  ;)
Anyone know if this would be launched from Vandenberg?

It's a GTO mission, so I think we can assume CCAFS.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

I wonder if this launch contract was actually grabbed from Arianespace? I saw that JSAT only has 1 satellite ordered for launch next year, and yet there's this Ariane 5 launch contract announced last year: http://www.arianespace.com/news-press-release/2013/9-9-2013-SKY-Perfect-JSAT.asp
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 4992
  • Likes Given: 6459
« Reply #5 on: 01/11/2014 04:40 am »
I wonder if this launch contract was actually grabbed from Arianespace? I saw that JSAT only has 1 satellite ordered for launch next year, and yet there's this Ariane 5 launch contract announced last year: http://www.arianespace.com/news-press-release/2013/9-9-2013-SKY-Perfect-JSAT.asp

The article says the satellite in the Ariane 5 deal will weigh more than 5 tons at launch and is destined for GEO.  The SpaceX win is for a Falcon 9 launch.  Falcon 9 can't launch that big a satellite toward GEO.  Hence, these are two different satellites.

Offline Hauerg

• Berndorf, Austria
  • Liked: 520
  • Likes Given: 2574
« Reply #6 on: 01/11/2014 04:46 am »

The article says the satellite in the Ariane 5 deal will weigh more than 5 tons at launch and is destined for GEO.  The SpaceX win is for a Falcon 9 launch.  Falcon 9 can't launch that big a satellite toward GEO.  Hence, these are two different satellites.

Once again showing that the Heavy is needed ASAP.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

It can - I am pretty sure that SpaceX's 4.8 tonne to GTO figure is a "conservative estimate" since there was a performance calculation tool that shows it can do at least 5.5 tonnes to a standard GTO.

Plus Turkmensat and Amos-6 are >5 tonnes.
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline TrevorMonty

There is also the possible  +15% from Merlin that Elan talked. Maybe a year or two away.

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #9 on: 01/11/2014 07:49 am »
No, this contract was for DSN-1:
Quote from:  SpaceNews Sept 6, 2013
The Arianespace contract concerns the first of these two satellites, DSN-1.
http://www.spacenews.com/article/launch-report/37093while-satellite-operators-await-a-spacex-debut-arianespace-walks-away

« Last Edit: 01/11/2014 08:18 am by input~2 »

Online Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #10 on: 01/11/2014 08:12 am »
Probably immediate reaction to SpaceX actually proving they can reliably put sats up there and probably first of many new contracts. Also nicely demonstrates the "standard" lead time from making a sat deal to getting it to orbit - about two years.

(So those still thinking there may be additional deals for launching in 2014 - not likely)

Offline mrmandias

• US
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #11 on: 01/11/2014 12:58 pm »
nice article Chris

Online oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 5005
  • Likes Given: 1444
« Reply #12 on: 01/11/2014 05:51 pm »
Probably immediate reaction to SpaceX actually proving they can reliably put sats up there and probably first of many new contracts. Also nicely demonstrates the "standard" lead time from making a sat deal to getting it to orbit - about two years.

(So those still thinking there may be additional deals for launching in 2014 - not likely)

Actually 24>launch>18 months which is the lead time for building a LV for launch and probably more likely just the the lead time for all the integration tasks and launch environment tests on the payload. F9 is a indeed a assembly line and not a per unit custom LV manufacturer so LV lead times may not apply especially if SpaceX runs their manufacturing at full tilt and storing LV's not imediatly used. This could prompt even shorter lead times between LV contract and launch. Most of the launch environment of the LV's are very similar and since they are also on standard busses the integration work of a previously flown buss may be done quickly.

Also they would have paid not only the reservation of 10 or 20% but the 18 months prior 40% build down payment for a total of 50-60% of the launch price nearly $34M. A huge commitment.

This brings the manifest for CCAFS in 2015 to 10.  With possibly 1 or 2 Dragonrider (Dragon 2.0) test flights in 2015, SLC-40 could be real busy. Unmanned test flights to orbit of DragonRider does not require all the manned saftey ansd access infrastructure and can be done with the same infrastructure as used for a cargo flight.

Edit: got my < > in the wrong direction.
« Last Edit: 01/11/2014 05:52 pm by oldAtlas_Eguy »

Offline Mighty-T

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #13 on: 01/13/2014 08:03 am »
Am I correct to assume that this is the actual payload assignment to the contract booked by SSLoral with SpaceX in March 2010?

Offline Chris Bergin

SSL Delivers COMMUNICATIONS Satellite for sky perfect jsat TO cape canaveral launch base

PALO ALTO, Calif. – March 14, 2016 — Space Systems Loral (SSL) today announced that the JCSAT-14 satellite, which it designed and built for SKY Perfect JSAT, has arrived at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida, where it will launch aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 launch vehicle.  The satellite, which is being prepared for launch next month, will be used for broadcast, data networks and mobility services in Asia, Russia, Oceania, and the Pacific Islands.

“It has been an honor to work together with SKY Perfect JSAT in building the JCSAT-14 satellite,” said John Celli, president of SSL. “We are very pleased that the satellite is now at launch base and look forward to a successful launch campaign.” 

JCSAT-14 will replace and expand on the capacity of JCSAT-2A at the 154° East longitude orbital slot. The satellite is designed to provide service for broadcast, data networks, and internet connectivity for maritime and aviation for 15 years or longer.

“SSL is a world leader in satellite manufacturing, and a valuable partner in the expansion of our fleet,” said Shinji Takada, Representative Director, President and CEO of SKY Perfect JSAT. “Our corporate goal is to protect safety and peace of mind while contributing to the formation of a vibrant society. We look forward to the launch of JCSAT-14, which helps to contribute to this overarching goal.”

JCSAT-14 is based on the powerful SSL 1300 platform, which has a long history of reliability and the flexibility to support innovation and evolving technologies. It marks the 102nd satellite that SSL has delivered based on this highly successful platform.  SSL is also building JCSAT-15 and JCSAT-16 which are both scheduled to launch in 2016.
« Last Edit: 03/28/2016 03:38 pm by jacqmans »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
« Reply #15 on: 03/14/2016 03:32 pm »
FYI, all American JCSat launches took place from Cape Canaveral. Remember the Atlas IIAS rockets back in the 1990s? They launched several of these Japanese satellites.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7404
  • Likes Given: 72487
« Reply #16 on: 03/14/2016 03:56 pm »
I haven't seen any statement of this satellite's loaded mass, or an estimate.

On Gunter's Space Page, I'm seeing masses in the 3 or 4 metric ton range for this make/model/sub-model of communications satellite (http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sat/ssloral-1300.htm).

If the mass falls in this range, will this likely be a 1st stage barge landing attempt?

(Please feel free to delay answering this question until we have more information, if that's best.)
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline MarekCyzio

Do we know how was it delivered? Truck? Airplane?

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #18 on: 03/20/2016 01:37 am »
Do we know how was it delivered? Truck? Airplane?

delivered via truck (from this guys updates:)

https://www.instagram.com/o2bntexas/
« Last Edit: 03/20/2016 01:39 am by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #19 on: 03/20/2016 05:31 am »
« Last Edit: 03/20/2016 05:33 am by Kabloona »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech