Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon Heavy Discussion (Thread 2)  (Read 275100 times)

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8739
Re: SpaceX Falcon Heavy Discussion (Thread 2)
« Reply #260 on: 12/02/2014 04:49 am »
Very nice artwork, though!
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline JWarner

• New Jersey
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #261 on: 12/02/2014 01:42 pm »
Very nice art work!

One small nit, by the time SLS is supposed to be there the rotating service structure will be gone.

Offline newpylong

• Liked: 200
  • Likes Given: 343
« Reply #262 on: 12/02/2014 03:18 pm »
Very nice realistic looking rendering, but very much a fantasy, and you know which vehicle I am referring too.       

Always has to be one.

This rendering with utmost certainty will become reality. Like or not.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #263 on: 12/02/2014 10:07 pm »
Very nice realistic looking rendering, but very much a fantasy, and you know which vehicle I am referring too.       

Always has to be one.

This rendering with utmost certainty will become reality. Like or not.
It is my semi-fantasy after the current supply of RS-25 get used up, pad 39B will be re-config to the upcoming pad 39A design. So we can have the spectacular of up to   6    7  fly back cores to the the Cape.  :)

Again it is a fantasy vision.

edit: Forgot about the possibility of additional F9R launch from pad 40. Disregarding the remote possibility that pad 40 will be upgraded for the FH.
« Last Edit: 12/03/2014 05:32 am by Zed_Noir »

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
« Reply #264 on: 12/03/2014 02:10 am »
Interesting future image that I saw online. Source: nbcnews.com

Offline e of pi

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • Liked: 297
  • Likes Given: 406
« Reply #265 on: 12/03/2014 02:12 am »
Interesting future image that I saw online. Source: nbcnews.com

Might want to check NBC's source. ;)

Try not to lick the screen when you see this, but we've released one of the renderings out of L2 - by Nathan Koga - showing SLS on 39B and Falcon Heavy on 39A:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36205.0

EDIT: I just found the article on their site, and I see they did credit the original source there. Nice piece, actually, and I retract the critique I'd originally had about not crediting content.
« Last Edit: 12/03/2014 02:54 am by e of pi »

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
« Reply #266 on: 12/03/2014 02:16 am »
Oops, didn't see Chris' post. I'll leave it up here just because It's Falcon Heavy related.

Online sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
« Reply #267 on: 12/03/2014 04:07 am »
6 fly back cores to the the Cape.

Nice vision! I would love to see one pad at LC-39 outfitted for a crewed payload, and the other for a payload consisting of a loiter-capable Earth-orbit departure stage. That enables a two launch mission, with Earth-orbit rendezvous.

Hmm. Where have we seen that vision before? ;)
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline Mader Levap

• Liked: 447
  • Likes Given: 561
« Reply #268 on: 12/07/2014 09:47 pm »
Always has to be one. This rendering with utmost certainty will become reality. Like or not.
Okay, then. Quoted and saved link. See you in 2018.
Be successful.  Then tell the haters to (BLEEP) off. - deruch
...and if you have failure, tell it anyway.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #269 on: 12/08/2014 01:04 am »
As FH is slated to fly from LC-39A, I thought this article/video from CBSnews.com might be of interest:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/climate-change-threatens-vital-nasa-launch-pads
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18198
  • Likes Given: 12158
« Reply #270 on: 12/08/2014 07:12 am »
As FH is slated to fly from LC-39A, I thought this article/video from CBSnews.com might be of interest:

I don't see the problem. The US has an army corps of engineers. They should rebuild the sea-wall (restore the dunes and the beach). And if that is out of their league, they can always call the Dutch. We have ample experience protecting vital structures against the sea. :)
« Last Edit: 12/08/2014 07:18 am by woods170 »

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
« Reply #271 on: 12/08/2014 07:23 am »

I don't see the problem. The US has an army corps of engineers. They should rebuild the sea-wall (restore the dunes and the beach). And if that is out of their league, they can always call the Dutch. We have ample experience protecting vital structures against the sea. :)

The CBS-report states that NASA is doing that right now.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18198
  • Likes Given: 12158
« Reply #272 on: 12/08/2014 08:19 am »

The CBS-report states that NASA is doing that right now.
Well, not NASA itself. Space engineers make for lousy sea wall constructors. The work is done by contractors under supervision of some folks who are much better at this stuff.

Offline Roy_H

• Political Solutions
  • Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 3163
« Reply #273 on: 12/09/2014 12:04 am »
I know SpaceX has stated that they intend to build both cross-feed and non-cross-feed versions of the Falcon Heavy, but I think the initial versions will all be cross-feed. To be certified for the DoD, SpaceX needs 3 flights. And I would think they would require a separate certification for the cross-feed if they only certified the non-cross-feed first. But if SpaceX certifies the cross-feed version first, they might not have to re-certify the simpler version. All this brings me to the conclusion that the first 4 flights will be all cross-feed, whether they need that performance or not. What do you guys think?
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk
Spacestation proposal: https://politicalsolutions.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3112
  • Likes Given: 3861
« Reply #274 on: 12/09/2014 02:19 am »
I think it partly depends on how much money SpaceX wants to spend and how long they want to take to get a paying vehicle launching payloads.  But more importantly, is there a defense payload in the next 5 or so years that SpaceX needs cross feed capability to put it in orbit.  Then there is no need to certify the cross feed version.

Also, imagine how long and slow getting crossfeed through the certification process will be,.
 since no one has done it before.

The development of cross feed, I think, will be a slow tedious process.  Lots of ground testing in Texas, and eventually partial and conservative operation in flight to build confidence before realizing the full potential, if it is even possible.

Tying a few reuseable ideas together, I think a medium term goal for a SpaceX is to use a FH with cross feed that improves FH performance enough to enable RTLS of the outboard boosters, recovery down range and a reuseable US.

I think SpaceX is building the pieces slowly to make a fully reuseable FH possible in the 3-4 year time range.  Giving SpaceX pricing power and a flight rate to capture most of the worlds commercial market.

Edit:
Clearing up my late night ramblings and...

I think it's reasonable to expect SpaceX to design the structure, engine area, parts of the piping configuration to accommodate the crossfeed piping so that there are minimal changes in the shop for the manufacture of each one.
« Last Edit: 12/09/2014 11:48 am by wannamoonbase »
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #275 on: 12/09/2014 02:21 am »
I believe that it will also depend on DoD required performance. If FH can achieve it without cross feed, DoD will probably rather save the risk. So it might be in SpaceX own best interest not to fly cross feed until DoD gets their certification package.

Offline Eerie

• Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #276 on: 12/09/2014 11:07 am »
Is there any indication that cross-feed is actually planned in the short term? Judging by the lack of comments from SpaceX, I'm under an impression cross-feed is somewhere in the future...

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
« Reply #277 on: 12/09/2014 11:49 am »
I recall earlier statements that the first flight(s) will not have crossfeed. But things change. With the outer cores crossfeeding they are depleted early and RTLS can be done with smaller payload penalty. Recovering the central core becomes more difficult though. So who knows all the trades considered and made, especially with regard to reuse of all cores?

Offline Eerie

• Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #278 on: 12/09/2014 12:51 pm »
I recall earlier statements that the first flight(s) will not have crossfeed. But things change. With the outer cores crossfeeding they are depleted early and RTLS can be done with smaller payload penalty. Recovering the central core becomes more difficult though. So who knows all the trades considered and made, especially with regard to reuse of all cores?

Without cross-feed, F9H boosters should go as high as F9 first stage, right? So if F9 first stage can be saved as is, there is no need for cross-feed to save F9H boosters, it just adds failure modes.

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #279 on: 12/09/2014 12:55 pm »
Without cross-feed, F9H boosters should go as high as F9 first stage, right?

Strap-on cores will be depleted early, with or without crossfeed. The center core would throttle down shortly after liftoff to conserve propellant ŕ la Delta IV Heavy.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography