Author Topic: What's It Like...to Build the Intern Rocket  (Read 4238 times)

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8817
  • Likes Given: 7823
What's It Like...to Build the Intern Rocket
« on: 07/06/2015 10:55 pm »
What's It Like...to Build the Intern Rocket

Published on Jul 6, 2015

What’s cooler than building rockets as an intern? Over eight weeks, ULA interns can volunteer to design, build, and launch high-power sport rockets with the guidance of mentors. Interns from Ball Aerospace & Technologies as well as K-12 students build payloads – hands-on STEM education from kindergarten through grad school!

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
Re: What's It Like...to Build the Intern Rocket
« Reply #1 on: 07/06/2015 10:56 pm »
And who says Americans don't understand irony?

Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline ClaytonBirchenough

• ~ 1 AU
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 348
« Reply #2 on: 07/08/2015 03:59 am »
Love the idea. Don't like that it doesn't seem to have practicality. Is this ULA's idea of giving back? (I'm not asking that sarcastically)

Cool rockets and all, but ULA's "2015 Planned Rockets and Payloads" found here, says the largest rocket only reaches an altitude of 9,000 feet! :(
Clayton Birchenough

Offline Newton_V

• United States
  • Liked: 822
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #3 on: 07/08/2015 04:08 am »
Love the idea. Don't like that it doesn't seem to have practicality. Is this ULA's idea of giving back? (I'm not asking that sarcastically)

It's done on their own time and only if they want to.  Not all participate.  People in the hobby help out.  It's actually pretty cool to see.
I think it's nice to get some hands on work.   Unless you're in structures, or an intern in Decatur, there's not a lot of hardware in Denver.  A nice break from computers.

• ~ 1 AU
« Reply #4 on: 07/08/2015 11:06 am »
It's done on their own time and only if they want to.  Not all participate.  People in the hobby help out.  It's actually pretty cool to see.
I think it's nice to get some hands on work.   Unless you're in structures, or an intern in Decatur, there's not a lot of hardware in Denver.  A nice break from computers.

Doesn't it cost a lot though? IIRC they said it took 8 weeks. I'm assuming all the interns are paid. So 8 weeks salaries for however many interns + the cost of building materials. Wonder how much that costs.
Clayton Birchenough

Offline Newton_V

• United States
  • Liked: 822
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #5 on: 07/09/2015 01:22 am »
Doesn't it cost a lot though? IIRC they said it took 8 weeks. I'm assuming all the interns are paid. So 8 weeks salaries for however many interns + the cost of building materials. Wonder how much that costs.

This is independent of their real internship.  They're paid for working just like anybody else, and work on real programs with real assignments.  ULA pays the bill for materials and other overhead, but the labor is their own free time, just like the ULA volunteers who run the project.  That being said, there might be some time charged to overheard, but in general, it's done after work, or off-Fridays, weekends, etc.
I don't think it really costs that much.

« Last Edit: 07/09/2015 01:25 am by Newton_V »

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #6 on: 07/09/2015 01:43 am »
This is independent of their real internship.  They're paid for working just like anybody else, and work on real programs with real assignments.

Citation needed. The biggest complaint from new engineers in aerospace is that they don't get to work on real programs, with real responsibilities.

Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

• ~ 1 AU
« Reply #7 on: 07/09/2015 02:06 am »
This is independent of their real internship.  They're paid for working just like anybody else, and work on real programs with real assignments.  ULA pays the bill for materials and other overhead, but the labor is their own free time, just like the ULA volunteers who run the project.  That being said, there might be some time charged to overheard, but in general, it's done after work, or off-Fridays, weekends, etc.
I don't think it really costs that much.

Thanks!

Despite my critical concerns/questions, I do like this intern rocket project! :)
Clayton Birchenough

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography