Author Topic: SLS General Discussion Thread 3  (Read 310770 times)

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
SLS General Discussion Thread 3
« Reply #240 on: 10/19/2018 07:42 am »
My point with “worst of both worlds” wasn’t that it wouldn’t work to have F-1 powered boosters.

No instead the issue is shackling your self to a particular architecture/design. If you absolutely have to have a sustainer stage that goes almost all the way to orbit, then SRB boosters aren’t a terrible choice. But that’s not the only way to do things.

But that’s how all of SLS+Orion decision making has been. If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. Virtually every decision has had a pre-determined outcome: If at all possible do it like Shuttle. If not, do it like Apollo.
« Last Edit: 10/19/2018 07:44 am by Lars-J »

Offline ncb1397

• Liked: 2310
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: SLS General Discussion Thread 3
« Reply #241 on: 10/19/2018 07:49 am »

But that’s how all of SLS+Orion decision making has been. If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. Virtually every decision has had a pre-determined outcome: If at all possible do it like Shuttle. If not, do it like Apollo.

Shuttle - Fuel Cells
Apollo - Fuel Cells
Orion - Solar Arrays ?????

Offline SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #242 on: 10/19/2018 03:42 pm »

Shuttle - Fuel Cells
Apollo - Fuel Cells

I mean, solar arrays are hugely more efficient today than they were even twenty years ago, so why not eliminate the idea of electricity as a consumable?  It's not like solar arrays in space is cutting edge technology.

Offline Lars-J

• California
« Reply #243 on: 10/19/2018 04:45 pm »

Shuttle - Fuel Cells
Apollo - Fuel Cells

Point taken  ;), there are certainly exceptions but my point was more to major architectural elements.

Offline niwax

• Germany
    • SpaceX Booster List
  • Liked: 2040
  • Likes Given: 166
« Reply #244 on: 10/20/2018 12:47 am »

Shuttle - Fuel Cells
Apollo - Fuel Cells

I mean, solar arrays are hugely more efficient today than they were even twenty years ago, so why not eliminate the idea of electricity as a consumable?  It's not like solar arrays in space is cutting edge technology.

Although they will be described as cutting edge in the report outlining why this project is worth eleven digit $ amounts. First use on a NASA capsule! /s
« Last Edit: 10/20/2018 12:34 pm by niwax »
Which booster has the most soot? SpaceX booster launch history! (discussion)

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
« Reply #245 on: 10/20/2018 10:05 am »

Shuttle - Fuel Cells
Apollo - Fuel Cells

Although they will be described as cutting edge in the report outlining why this project is worth leven digit $ amount. First use on a NASA capsule! /s

https://spinoff.nasa.gov/flyers/orion.htm - I note.
That list of spinoffs for SLS and Orion looks mighty thin.

Offline SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #246 on: 10/22/2018 03:31 pm »

To be fair, it takes time for technology to spin off.  Not really fair to judge the spinoff list for vehicles that haven't flown.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7347
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #247 on: 10/22/2018 06:26 pm »

To be fair, it takes time for technology to spin off.  Not really fair to judge the spinoff list for vehicles that haven't flown.

Except that in the case of SLS it's designed around 40-year old technology and it is unlikely that there will be any more spinoffs that haven't already been done. Of course NASA PR is very likely to make a huge deal about some improvement to an old spinoff just like they have a party with back-slapping and bonuses every time somebody welds a seam.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10198
  • Likes Given: 11927
« Reply #248 on: 10/22/2018 07:17 pm »

You'd think that after spending ~$30B that there would be more than 8 items on that list - and one of them is just a charging algorithm for an undefined type of battery.

Some of the items on the list (or maybe all of them) are just incremental improvements to things are already have lots of innovation being done across their respective industries.

For instance:

- "Procedure-Authoring Tool Improves Safety on Oil Rigs" seems like something that NASA would have been doing for the ISS, not specifically for the Orion.

- "Advanced Manufacturing Techniques Create Better Nanotubes" is an area that is filled with people working on nanotubes. And maybe they have helped to push the field forward, but does it merit the "spinoff" moniker?

There is lots of government R&D funding that helps industry, and no doubt industry is getting something from the SLS and Orion programs that will be useful for other applications, but I think this list confirms that the SLS and Orion are not really "innovative", just "iterative" - and there is nothing wrong with that, just that our expectations should be set accordingly.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #249 on: 10/26/2018 08:29 pm »

And that seems about right: Shuttle-derived heavy lift was supposed to be, as Coastal Ron puts it, iterative, not innovative.  Supporters characterized it as just re-arranging the Shuttle stack.  Mike Griffin: "As NASA administrator, I already own a heavy lifter."  In fact, NASA seems to be reaping the worst of both worlds, with "iterative" capabilities and "innovative" costs and delays.

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #250 on: 10/27/2018 01:59 am »

https://spinoff.nasa.gov/pdf/Apollo_Flyer.pdf
So does the Apollo program. More than 200 billion in today's money and they can only come up with 8 things. Several of which like freeze-dried foods pre-date the program anyway.

But I'm sure most people here are smart enough to evaluate a source and can identify it as a public relations handout and won't be prone to feeding an echo chamber.

....right?

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81623
  • Likes Given: 36932

Offline Tulse

• Liked: 395
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #252 on: 10/31/2018 02:19 pm »
What's the x-axis?

Offline freddo411

• Liked: 1197
  • Likes Given: 3417
« Reply #253 on: 10/31/2018 02:30 pm »

https://spinoff.nasa.gov/pdf/Apollo_Flyer.pdf
So does the Apollo program. More than 200 billion in today's money and they can only come up with 8 things. Several of which like freeze-dried foods pre-date the program anyway.

But I'm sure most people here are smart enough to evaluate a source and can identify it as a public relations handout and won't be prone to feeding an echo chamber.

....right?

Revolutionary Weld Technique

It's both a spinoff and a reason SLS is delayed!

Offline Lars-J

• California
« Reply #254 on: 10/31/2018 04:03 pm »
What's the x-axis?

My question as well, but given that they are equally spaced points, I assume that the X-axis is whenever a new estimate was given. So the graph is a bit misleading, but the message isn't wrong... The launch date isn't getting closer like it should.

Offline Tulse

• Liked: 395
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #255 on: 10/31/2018 04:20 pm »
Nah, I get the message of the graph -- it's just the inaccurate presentation that annoys me as an admitted data viz geek.  (And, to be honest, I would generally hope for better from a technically-inclined "Senior Space Editor" at Ars.)

Offline John Santos

• Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 143
« Reply #256 on: 10/31/2018 04:46 pm »
Nah, I get the message of the graph -- it's just the inaccurate presentation that annoys me as an admitted data viz geek.  (And, to be honest, I would generally hope for better from a technically-inclined "Senior Space Editor" at Ars.)
It's a horrible graph designed to appeal to mathematical illiterates.  A friend used to blog every week about Bad Chart Thursdays.  Too bad she isn't blogging any more; this would have been perfect fodder.

Online nevareth

• Ontario
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 387
« Reply #257 on: 10/31/2018 04:51 pm »
The X axis does not really need to be labeled.  It is date and can easily be inferred from the blue line on the Y axis.  There are six data points across approximately 7 years (2011 to 2018).
“if we operate with extreme urgency we have a chance of making life multi-planetary. It’s still just a chance, not for sure. If we don’t act with extreme urgency, that chance is probably 0." - Elon Musk

Offline ncb1397

• Liked: 2310
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #258 on: 10/31/2018 04:54 pm »
The X axis does not really need to be labeled.  It is date and can easily be inferred from the blue line on the Y axis.  There are six data points across approximately 7 years (2011 to 2018).

If that was the case, the blue line would be a strait line as the Y axis for the blue line is also the date. Don't think these are NASA official timelines as it indicates the launch date was middle of 2020 at the beginning of the year, but NASA was still saying December 2019. It was only more recently and later in 2018 that they were saying December 2019-June 2020.
« Last Edit: 10/31/2018 04:57 pm by ncb1397 »

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1599
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #259 on: 10/31/2018 05:17 pm »
Just for fun I replotted Eric Berger's data in a different way.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography