Author Topic: Help required on Apollo Program Corning Electronics Device  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Apollo-phill

• UK
  • Liked: 108
  • Likes Given: 6
The image (more or less full size) shows a Corning Electronic Devices item.

A suggestion was that it may have been built for use in the Apollo Program or even Shuttle program ?

Can ANYONE (maybe the older aerospace engineers who frequent this site ) shed any light on what this device is/does and where it may possibly have been used ?

Corning Electronic Devices looks like they were either sold off or closed down as they are not part of the Corning Group now ?

ANY information - no matter how "vague" on this would be welcomed.

Thanks in anticipation

A-P

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1123
  • Likes Given: 243
Looks like an optical delay loop.... There use to be optical fiber devices that would delay a timing signal by sending it down a fiber loop. This was to keep signals in phase.

Though in and ground, might indicate indicate some sort of RF signal instead.

Though I could be way off base, I kinda remember something vague touched on once in one of my EE courses years ago.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline acsawdey

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 232
  • Likes Given: 427
Given the date, it's probably a ceramic acoustic delay line, not fiber optic. In fact, there is a reference to Corning making delay lines in the 50's on this page:

http://www.corning.com/about_us/inside_corning/history.aspx

Vapor Deposition Process

In the 1950s, under secret contract, Corning made electronic delay lines that would be used to detect Soviet missiles in northern Canada. These lines used Corning’s patented fused-silica vapor deposition process, which is the foundation of numerous specialized technologies including sophisticated telescope mirrors, space shuttle windows, and optical fiber.

Offline DMeader

• Liked: 100
  • Likes Given: 47
Do you have an image of the side with the connectors?

Online dasmoth

• Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 39
Possibly-relevant post from a historical electronics" mailing list.  Mentions a Corning 853302 delay line -- quite close to the part number on the device you've got.

Offline Apollo-phill

• UK
Thanks for the replies.

I have had a confirmation it was a Delay Unit used in the Apollo Saturn V IU "stage".

There were four wires coming out the edge that matched the four ground In/Out markings on face for the person who inquired.

A-P

Offline Apollo-phill

• UK
Also,thanks for the "history" posting about the delay units.

Helpful.

Thanks

A-P

Tags: